6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

New Maxima or Altima....u decide

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 12:50 PM

New Maxima or Altima....u decide

For those of you who don't know or remember; my 01 Max got stolen by a crack head and taken on a high speed chase ending in the police shooting the guy and my car I replaced it with a Tacoma crewcab ....and a boat

Anyway, now I'm looking at getting another Maxima, this time for my wife. I was looking at a new SE at the dealer and then I looked at the Altima. The 07 Altimas have 270 hp vs the Maxima's 255 hp. You can also get it decked out with Leather, Nav system, sunroof etc. I had the dealer price it out for both cars loaded and the Altima is $3,000 cheaper. I've been doing some research and it looks like the Altima has more interior room in a lot of places than the Maxima. Online pricing shows the Altima to be $3K cheaper also. I've always looked at the Altima as the "cheap" alternative to a Maxima but now I'm wondering if the Maxima is worth the extra $3K.

Thoughts/suggestions
Old 12-21-2006, 12:58 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Hardcore
For those of you who don't know or remember; my 01 Max got stolen by a crack head and taken on a high speed chase ending in the police shooting the guy and my car I replaced it with a Tacoma crewcab ....and a boat

Anyway, now I'm looking at getting another Maxima, this time for my wife. I was looking at a new SE at the dealer and then I looked at the Altima. The 07 Altimas have 270 hp vs the Maxima's 255 hp. You can also get it decked out with Leather, Nav system, sunroof etc. I had the dealer price it out for both cars loaded and the Altima is $3,000 cheaper. I've been doing some research and it looks like the Altima has more interior room in a lot of places than the Maxima. Online pricing shows the Altima to be $3K cheaper also. I've always looked at the Altima as the "cheap" alternative to a Maxima but now I'm wondering if the Maxima is worth the extra $3K.

Thoughts/suggestions
First year of production will allways suck, get the Maxima, if u feel like spending more $ get teh G.

Kamski
Old 12-21-2006, 03:28 PM

I have heard that as well. NEVER buy the first year model.

Maybe a used SE-R?
Whatever you chose, Good Luck and Merry Christmas,

Swee
Old 12-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The new Altima is on the next gen platform so it has some advantages over the current old gen Maxima. That being said the first year period is usually taboo to most people but you would be getting a damn good car for the money. The hp difference is worthless in practical terms and they are pretty much dead even in speed. I personally think the redesigned Max is hot looking. The front end is very upscale and the new seats are great. If you can afford it go for the Maxima, if not your not going to be disappointed in the Altima. As for a G, the 07 is not going to be close in price and incentives are non existant. Either way if your worried about room, the G is NOT a good alternative. Rear seat is horrible, I know you didn't mention it as an option but lots of people will suggest it. IMO the lack of room makes the G impractical for families.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:25 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
First year of production will allways suck, get the Maxima,
My 2k was built 12 days after production started on the 5th gens (May 12th) and 139k miles later and a few O2 sensor's and MAF's later it is still running VERY well with very few rattles.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:27 PM

The decision is really yours to make.

I bought my 04 in May of 03 in the first few months of production of the 6th Gen. What problems have I had? Well, unlike many of the early 04s, I did not have a shimmy problem, and my front struts still work fine after 52,500 miles. Problems I had: 1) My Max came from the factory with the rear wheels slightly out of allignment. I did not catch this was a problem until there were cups worn in the tread of all four tires. I put up with these original tires rumbling for over 15 K miles from this wear. I also suspect this resultend in having to buy new tires about 10 K miles before it would have been necessary had this not happened. (This was not all bad getting rid of the RSAs.) 2) There was a buzz in the rear deck (behind the back seat) that was fixed with a TSB. 3) The glass in the sky-view windows were replaced under another TSB.

That is about it. I have to admit there were many posts on this site about others having many problems with their 04s -- guess I lucked out. I would say try to stay away from the first year of production, but don't make that a flat requirement -- buy the first year if that seems to be the best choice for you.

If you're asking which car would I buy, if I were in the market? I would pick the Altima. Reasons: I bought my 04 because it has a 6-speed manual trannie. The 07 Max's no longer offer that trannie as an option. And, given my driving conditions here in Colorado, I would not own a car with a CVT trannie. I also like the extra room that it appears the Altima has over the Maxima, but the trannie is the major reason for picking the Altima.

I remember back in May of 04 when I went to the Nissan dealer looking for a car (needed one fast) and I drove an Altima first. I then drove the Maxima and knew it was the car for me. (Back then the Altima only offered a 5 speed manual trannie.) With the changes in the Altima, I suspect that this trial of both cars would now result in me picking the Altima -- because of the trannie.

Good luck, but you have to make the decision.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:53 PM

With 270HP and weighing lighter, that 07 Altima will produce some
serious power. At times, I find my 96 Max more fun to drive since
it is less bulkier than my 06. So you'll also have to factor in the
size and weight of the car. If I have to pick a car today, I would
probably go for the 07 G35. I personally think that it gives the best
bang for your bucks in the next price range above.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:28 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

First year issues ARE big with domestics (and second year...and third year...), but I have had two first year Max's (the '95 and the '00) with absolutely no problems (OK, the '95 Bose/Clarion head unit sucked - but they failed in all years, and the '00 trans shifted like crap - but it never failed).

There is always some additional risk with a new model, but I don't think its too great for Nissan. Decide which you like better and go for it.

If the Altima was out when I picked up my '07, I would have given it serious thought. Its seems pretty damn nice, but I haven't driven one.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by jcalabria
If the Altima was out when I picked up my '07, I would have given it serious thought. Its seems pretty damn nice, but I haven't driven one.

I love my 07...but if the Altima was out, I would have at least considered it. To me, since the cars are similar in a lot of ways, I think you have to drive the two and see which one you like the best. When the last new Altima came out and they both had the same engine (well 240 vs the reported 255), I thought the Altima's ride was waaaaaay unrefined and that's the big reason I decided against it.

If this new platform Altima drives better and is refined on the inside, it's worth consideration. If not, go for the Max. It's really up to what parts of the car (power, driver, sophistication, looks, etc.) you like better.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:14 AM

What this boils down to is a choice of personal style. I personally would go with the Altima if you are buying new. It seems a better bang for the buck. The only reason I got my 04 SL is that it was dirt cheap used. I love my car but I don't think I would've paid $33k for it new like the previous owner did. Nissan seems to have a major marketing problem with the Maxima and its development has suffered because of it (I believe the same thing can be said about the Q45). More thought is put into the Altima IMO, as it competes more directly with Camrys/Accords and is the best selling car that Nissan makes. In the long run, Altimas will have better residual value and a bigger market also.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:36 AM
SmokinMaxSE

07 Altima is nice but is still more compact compare to the Maxima. Also, I would wait until at least 2008 just to see what will happen with the next Maxima. Even with the SE-R, I don't know if I would spend 30K for an Altima.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:32 AM

So I just flogged a 07 3.5 SE Altima around for three hours while getting an oil change to refresh myself with it. It is definetly smaller than a Maxima in the back. I hit my head on the liner and my feat don't slide underneath the front seats. The seats are comfortable but not as nice as the Maxima's. Also they notched the tilt which I personally hate. Overall the Maxima is bigger and more upscale inside and out. On the other hand you can feel the rigidity difference in the new platform. It feels more solid and is very light on it's feet for a car that ways 34-3500 lbs. The steering is to light and VERY vague which really detracts from the overall experience. From my impressions the Altima CVT is more aggressive than the Maxima but in trials the run the same times.

Just some more thoughts.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:58 PM

i too was concerned about first year production, but i am pleased to report that i took delivery of my '04 max se (base model) in march of 2003...other than the replacement of the body control module about 2 months later and having the factory recalls done, i have had none of the issues others have had (i now have 34,000 miles)...i have looked at both the '07 max se and the '07 altima 3.5 both are good looking vehicles, however despite the changes for '07 imo it looks too much like an '04...i think i would go with the altima...
Old 12-22-2006, 03:40 PM

I'd wait for the Altima Coupe..it is coming out. Saw it on NissanUsa.com
Old 12-22-2006, 05:23 PM

The problem with an Altima is that it is the cheaper car to start with and adding leather and a V6 to the cheaper car doesn't refine it much beyond that. While I got an 05 Maxima my sister picked up an 05 Altima (I know not an 07), but the differences between the quality of the construction, plastics, and little things are amazing. Things like the sunglasses holder, the cup holders, and roominess in certain areas all play a big part in making the car more refined and enjoyable. The Maxima excelled well above the Altima in all things but absolute price.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:43 PM

I noticed the 07 2.5 Altima with the dual exhaust has the old 04-06 6th Gen chrome tip exhaust that is pressed on, the 07 Maxima has the Infiniti tips that look great, one peace.

It's the small things that matter
Old 12-23-2006, 04:00 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Well, IMO,
If you don't plan to mod and can live without a manual tranny I say go with the 07 Max. The Max is bigger overall and has a more luxurious feel.

If you plan on modding then get the 07 Altima 6spd.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:43 PM

I saw a few 07 Altimas on the freeways and they really are good looking cars. They seemed to be 3.5 SE's fully loaded with Hid's and all. Personally, I would still get a Maxima over the Altima. When fully loaded, the Altima is very comparable to the maxima. But the Altima is still just a run of the mill midsize sedan. It's a car which starts from below $20k that can run up to above $30k. You'll always see 10X more Altimas on the road compared to the Max. I'm not saying the Maxima is a Benz or a Rolls Royce, but it is more of an exclusive car compared to a Altima.
My 2 cents.
Happy purchasing!
Old 12-24-2006, 01:23 PM

Maxima FTW!
Old 12-25-2006, 06:02 PM

get the camry
Old 12-25-2006, 07:34 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by STARR
get the camry
LOL
Old 12-26-2006, 07:31 PM

I ve said it many times, the 07 altima flat out is better looking than the max, plus its cheaper, plus it has more power. I love the rear end of the altima. I wouldnt worry about the first year thing, it isnt a completely different car i read a write up in road and track or something like that, and they spent more money on the altima than any other car. You have a warranty on the car, and it is a nissan I would get the altima for sure...it looks better and is quicker and a much better radius. My 04 max was fine and it was first year completely diff than the 03, at least the altima isnt completely diff, in fact a lot of the auto mags wonder why nissan didnt change the altima much at all. Do some reading on it.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:26 PM

I just bought an o7 Max and I had a plethora of Altimas in front of me. I decided on the Max over the Altima because it just felt better to me. I would also look at the fit/finish of the Altima. I remember when the last gen of Altima came out and I went to the dealership and did a few looks at the quality of materials on the Altima... an easy one was to open the door and close it from a distance. The Max has a nice thud and the Altima just clanked. I am not spending almost/at 30K for a car that I feel is inferior to the alternate.

The first year thing didn't cross my mind since this will be like my family's 9th Nissan, but I just have always wanted a brand new Max. Also, if the Max is supposed to be Infiniti Q'esque for the next generation, I wanted the last of the original 4DSC look that made me buy my first Max. Weird way for me to think about it, but I have always loved the look of this gen, not many people have it and it's still accomodating for my passengers.

My .02.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:31 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by willysmooo
I ve said it many times, the 07 altima flat out is better looking than the max, plus its cheaper, plus it has more power.
The Altima still looks like the 07 Maxima. Both are good looking cars. If the Max only needed fog lights in the front bumper than it wasn't a bad looking car to began with. Not everyone wants the cheap stuff.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:55 PM

The 07 Maximas look so sexy compared to earlier models.. IMO
Old 12-27-2006, 06:34 AM
mixshows

for $3,000 go get that maxima man, mostly every single complaint/problems have been ironed out since the 04 model. imo u cant compare a maxima to an altima, 07 model and all.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:06 PM

the fit and finish of the altima has been upgraded immensly, trust me i would have never said this before, but the max has stayed the same for 3 years besides a few minor changes, i think the 07 alt just looks better, especially the back end, the front looks the same as the max pretty much
Old 12-27-2006, 04:22 PM

The materials in the 07 Altima still don't equal the materials in the 07 Maxima. Look at the arm rest on the doors and the plastics on top of the dash.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:08 PM

When the NEW '09 Maxima comes out (or whatever year the next Gen is released) I am sure the Maxima will receive similar updates as far as enhancing the product. Sure, the '07 Altima took a few steps up and has major improvements and refinements, but you are comparing the NEW Altima to the older Maxima. Wait to compare the NEW Altima with the NEW Maxima. Nissan Corp usually steps the model updates to avoid issues. The '02 Altima was the new design followed by the Maxima in '04. The '07 G35 sedan is new while the '07 coupe is the same as last years.

Anyways I think the Maxima is slowly losing its 4DSC status as it gets bigger, fatter, slower (compared to the competition) and more refined/dull. If they truly want to recapture the 4DSC mantra then Nissan sure seriously up the ante and make it faster and more powerful than the Altima. If the FWD layout won't work then add AWD and some HP.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:32 PM

Lots of great responses here.

Before I give my opinion, I will tell you to forget about waiting for the 2008 Maxima; it will be indistinguishable from the '07. The '09 Maxima arriving in spring 2008 is another story, however.

My opinions:

If you want a manual tranny, choose the Altima.

If economics are a primary consideration, choose the Altima.

If you are into serious modding, choose the Altima.

If you have to be careful about showing your boss up, choose the Altima.

If you have a job where you wish to remain anonymous (private detective, etc) choose the Altima. Or better yet, the Camry or Accord.

If you are a 'biggest bang for the buck' type, that might also be the Altima.

But, in any other area of measurement, I (being admittedly prejudiced) lean to the Maxima.

If you prefer to not be driving the same car as millions of other folks, choose the Maxima.

If you want the one with the most room overall, especially the back seat area, choose the Maxima.

If you want the one with the initial production bugs long since resolved, choose the Maxima.

If you want the better quality interior materials, choose the '07 Maxima (yes, I looked at both).

If you want the one that 'feels' better built, check them out. Slam the doors, sit in ALL the seats (front and back), work all the gadgets, etc; the Maxima 'feels' better (at least it did to me).

Fairly or unfairly, when bystanders see an Altima, many think 'poorest selling sister of the Accord-Camry-Altima trio'. Believe me, they really do. They are also thinking 'umm . . . probably paid less than $20K'.

When bystanders see a Maxima, they think of it as being in the TL/Acura/G35/base BMW category.

The Maxima has ALWAYS been an 'eye-catcher', even in years when the styling might not have been attractive to some. Most folks don't pay a lot of attention to an Altima.

In summary, if you are a very practical sort, consider cars as simply a means of transportation, and could care less what folks think, by all means choose the Altima. If you are the type that desires something extra; a tad of panache, a shade of elan, the Maxima is a foregone conclusion.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:08 PM

LOL wait until you see the 2 doors altima 2008 lol
Old 12-27-2006, 10:48 PM

light, you are right on with all of your points. Which is why I'm so upset with Nissan dropping the 6-speed manual trannie in the Maxima. I will be keeping my 04 for many years because I really like the Max better -- but I need that manual. And when the time comes (if the Max does not get the 6-speed back) it will probably be either an Infiniti (too small) or an Altima (too cheap).
Old 12-28-2006, 07:14 AM
SmokinMaxSE

I don't know what people have been driving before the Maxima, but I have been driving in the "Altima" bread and butter catagory for many years. My next car won't be an Altima but more like a G35,BMW,Acura or Lexus. If Nissan decides to do something different with the Maxima then I'll take a look.

When my supervisor at work saw me riding in the Maxima, he went and got a new Lexus 350. I guess if he really wanted to show me up then he should've got the 07 Altima.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:48 AM
mixshows

lol! nice one

Old 12-29-2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
I have heard that as well. NEVER buy the first year model.

Maybe a used SE-R?
Whatever you chose, Good Luck and Merry Christmas,

Swee
Just for reference, my Maxima pulls a SER on the freeway. I thought I would have lost but it was the other way around.

This post is more directed toward the thread starter as he is concerned with HP figures.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the info guys. We just started looking and we may wait for our tax refund in April to buy. Hopefully by then any 1st year bugs will show up in the form of recalls and TSBs and make our decision.

After looking at them first hand I do tend to agree that the Maxima "feels" nicer inside but the loaded out Altima 3.5SE was 100 times nicer than my 01 Max.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:18 PM

working for nissan ive looked into both cars really in depth...the 07 altima really is a nice car not for nothing...the 07 maxima is also nice as well, not to different from my 05 though. I do feel that the 07 is more a polished car though, compared to 04-06 years. IMHO though a full loaded altima with fold down navi will run you about 3-5 grand cheaper then the maxima, and the car performs better, looks better to me, and is made better. 07 maxima is no doubt a nice car though, and when loaded up they are pretty nice car to drive....its just still to similar to me to 04-06 while the altima is completly new.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Maximam
Just for reference, my Maxima pulls a SER on the freeway. I thought I would have lost but it was the other way around.

This post is more directed toward the thread starter as he is concerned with HP figures.

strange...6 speed se-r's are actually pretty quick...drivers race from a launch but they are a little quicker then the max due to weight.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:39 AM

He was probably in the wrong gear, or not racing. Or it was a 2.5S with an SE-R conversion. Lol.

I can't really add ANYTHING to this thread without being biased since I drive an Altima. BUT, I have tested both the '07 Maxima AND the '07 Altima and have to say I prefer the Altima for grocery-getting with performance, and Maxima for grocery-getting in style. The Altima, with the re-tuned (sound wise and performance) 3rd Generation VQ35 mated with a 6-speed is a beast. The car sitting next to my 3rd gen. looks A LOT larger. Interior room is good and I'm not small (6', 250lbs) but my 3rd gen. seems to have a little bit more head-room in the driver's seat. Rear-room, I could care less. The only thing ANY ONE in the back will be worried about is if I want to stop accelerating at 60, or go further. The salesmen mentioned though that not many people wanted the 6-speed, not surprising.

The Maxima was a CVT, and oh man was that confusing. My body over the time that I had owned an automatic had gotten used to compensating for the gentle toss of the transmission's shifts for comfort. So when I got the chance to drive the Maxima and saw that there wasn't any transmission shift kicks, it just.. felt strange. But after a few minutes, I began to grow with it. It was very comfortable, and with the automatic allowed me to recline the seat back to get more then enough head-room and leg-room and just focus on driving. Performance wasn't any where near the Altima though, but that's probably because of the CVT.

All depends on what you want. They're two different cars. Night and Day. Since I'm all for performance, I'd go with the Altima. But that's just me.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by logik05se
working for nissan ive looked into both cars really in depth. . . . IMHO though a full loaded altima with fold down navi will run you about 3-5 grand cheaper then the maxima, and the car performs better, looks better to me, and is made better.
I'm curious on your last point -- the Altima is made better. Why do you say that?

I agree that you made a mistake not getting a 6-speed. For me that is the only trannie to have -- and why I'm so mad at Nissan for dropping it as a trannie option in the Max.

Quick Reply: New Maxima or Altima....u decide