6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

New Maxima or Altima....u decide

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by 2002AltimateV6
He was probably in the wrong gear, or not racing.
I certainly agree.

I can't really add ANYTHING to this thread without being biased since I drive an Altima. BUT, I have tested both the '07 Maxima AND the '07 Altima and have to say I prefer the Altima for grocery-getting with performance, and Maxima for grocery-getting in style. The Altima, with the re-tuned (sound wise and performance) 3rd Generation VQ35 mated with a 6-speed is a beast. The car sitting next to my 3rd gen. looks A LOT larger. Interior room is good and I'm not small (6', 250lbs) but my 3rd gen. seems to have a little bit more head-room in the driver's seat. Rear-room, I could care less.
You are only 19 years old, so you don't care much about rear seat room. Given your age, I would agree. From the time I was 25 until I was 35 I owned a Corvette -- no back seat. When we had our second child, the Corvette was sold because it was no longer practical for a family of 4.

I'm 6'1" and find there is ample headroom in my Max, but I don't have a sun-roof, which takes away some headroom. Then again, your body may be longer (causing more of a headroom problem) while my legs may be longer (just make it with the seat all the way back).

The salesmen mentioned though that not many people wanted the 6-speed, not surprising.
They are supposed to say that -- Nissan wants to make more automatics. I know when I bought my 04, I had to hunt on the internet for find a suitable Max with a 6-speed, and then advise my local dealer about this car. Others on this site have complained about how hard it was to find a 6-speed (some did and some compromized and took an automatic). Where 6-speeds are not worth as much is on the used-car market. There is a limited, but loyal, market for 6-speeds. But for a used car, they seem to be harder to find.

All depends on what you want. They're two different cars. Night and Day. Since I'm all for performance, I'd go with the Altima. But that's just me.
What's one to do when you want performance, size and near luxury? The Max was the ideal car for me for highway cruising. But I must have a manual trannie. So when it comes time to replace the 04, the Max is no longer appropriate. I will probably keep the 04 longer than otherwise, because the obvious choices are the Infiniti (luxury, but smaller) or the Altima (not luxury, but almost the size of the Max).
Old 01-04-2007, 06:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'd buy a base SE Max over the Alty. I've owned both and the Max is just made better (even though its not what it used to be). Bang for the buck you can't beat the base Max SE. Altima is made to be the volume seller and alot of cost saving pieces go into it. When you buy the Altima you are basically getting the underpinnings of a car that sells for 18-19K- no matter how much you spend on the additional trim levels. The only exception would be buying the base 2007 Alty SE - problem there is the price would probably be within 2-3k of the Max.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:53 AM
mixshows

i dont get how were still comparing a maxima with an altima.

performance or not, the maxima is better pound for pound in almost every single category.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
I'm curious on your last point -- the Altima is made better. Why do you say that?

I agree that you made a mistake not getting a 6-speed. For me that is the only trannie to have -- and why I'm so mad at Nissan for dropping it as a trannie option in the Max.

well what i said only applys to the 07 altima...the previous generation def was not made as good as the maxima. But as far as fit and finish are concerned with the 07 altima, it truely is up alot compared to the last model. The maxima still is a very nice car dont get me wrong, but just the feel of the materials put into the altima, and the whole driving experince just feels more polished, which to me is expected considering the maxima is on a fairly older platform now being that it was only revised, not redesigned.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:37 PM

Those who say the max is made better hands down, I dont think you have seen the 07 altima, they have spent more money on that car than any they have ever made before, and numerous professional car mags have said the same thing. Although it hasnt changed comletely it has changed all for the better and looks wide it just look snicer than the max, im sorry...i have had 3 max's and trust me i would never consider buying an altima before, but when you see one in person it just looks better, and i am sure with the amount of time nissan put into it, it drives just fine, just fine.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The chassis of the altima is certainly better than the platform the maxima rides on. On interior materials however the maxima still wins. It has nicer materials and a better overall feel of luxuriousness. I was actually dissappointed about the cost cutting in the new altima and in some ways think the interior of the 06 is better made.