6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

a little help here

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 03:50 PM
mixshows

a little help here

sup all

today im drivin home from work and a chic pulls up next to me and tells me that my rear right wheel is wobbling , so u pull over and check the wheel. it seems that 2 of the 5 wheel screws were snapped off!

anyone know :

1- what the part is called
2- how much is it to buy and have it installed
3- is it covered under the nissan 60,000 mile warranty?

thanks

Old 12-28-2006, 04:27 PM

Damn, thats crazy. Who was the last person/shop to touch that wheel? They're called lugnuts. Im not sure if that's covered under warranty, but if nissan was the last to touch the wheel they'll definately take care of it.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:28 PM

now are you saying, you are missing the lug nuts or the bolts that the tire slips onto are snapped off????
Old 12-28-2006, 04:52 PM
mixshows

yea the bolts,not the lugnuts that you screw on.

the last person to touch the wheels was the dealer where i bought it, a honda dealer.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:37 PM

If the bolts broke off then you have a big problem. Meaning either A. the bolt has come offm or unscrewed, which isnt a big deal its a cheap fix just put new bolts in there. or B. the head broke off leaving the rest of the bolt in there. That happened to me on my audi. cost 300 bucks to remove it and that was only 1 bolt. now sometimes it isnt removable and you might need a new hub altogether. from my understanding even if it is removeable its a big deal, it will cost you.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:38 AM
mixshows

ok ,

called the nissan dealer and got a quote over the phone, guy says im lookin at 170$ bucks to replace the 2 bolts which was kind of expensive plus he said the service center was really busy. so instead of having the car towed 10 miles from where i live i decided to go to my local goodyear.

2 hours later i had the 2 missing bolts and lugnuts installed for 65 bucks
the car doesnt make ugly noises anymore and rides as smooth as silk.
im pretty happy considering i didnt have to pay 300$ () or even worse have the wheel collapse on me on the highway!

thanks for the help all

Old 12-29-2006, 10:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You may want to take a look at the other bolts to see if the same thing is happening with them too. Check for cracking at the bottoms of the threads nearest the hub. Kind of a PITA to do, but it might be worth it for peace of mind.

CM
Old 12-29-2006, 12:58 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Anyone knows why this would happen?
Old 12-29-2006, 02:44 PM
KC's FINEST

Over torqued. You should have just pulled the wheel off, knocked the broke heads out and went to the parts store. Most of your repair cost was due to labor. I have a complete set laying around if anyone needs any in the future!
Old 12-30-2006, 11:27 AM
mixshows

Damn! after having the car fixed i drove to boca (about an hour drive each way) then on the way back i heard a weird "pop", lo and behold , it spit a freshly installed lugnut out! **** so now im riding around on 4 lugs till the mechanic orders the nut which will arrive on tues...i hope this little 60$ problem doesnt turn into a more expensive problem.