6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

How many people have installed SE-R FSB

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 06:40 PM

How many people have installed SE-R FSB

Hello everyone:

Just curious, I swapped out my stock sway bars on my 2006 Altima SE with the NISMO bars. It made a WORLD of difference.

I never thought to check into aftermarket sways for my Maxima. I was going to get the Cottmann (sp?)for the rear, but noticed nobody makes one for the front.

How many of you have installed the Altima SE-R in the front? Curious, because I would like the dealer to do both front and rear while the car is in. This car definately needs the upgrade!

Thanks for the input and a great writeup in the sticky section!
Old 12-28-2006, 06:59 PM

Not too sure on how many people have done this, but i'm certain that this is going to be my next mod along with the MMI (motor mount inserts)

And i'm pretty sure that the NISMO bars for the SE-R are only very minimal difference in thickness. So you should definately get the SE-R bar and save quite a bit...considering that the NISMO pair of sway bars is about $350ish? And you can get the CATTMAN RSB for about 115 shipped...you should also consider getting the RACINGLINE ENDLINKS

hope this helped
dan
Old 12-29-2006, 05:04 AM

Thanks for the feedback..... I was going to get the SE-R bar instead of the NISMO set. I am just a little concerned so few people have done this mod. I cant tell you the difference it made when I upgraded the Altima. It felt like a brand new car. MUCH improved on entrance/exit ramps and just more control in general.

I just wish someone made a complete set for the Maxima. I know NISMO is a little over priced, but my dealer always gave me parts at cost, and knew how to install the parts. Add to that, if there was a problem (never was) I know they would go to bat for me on the warranty.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:18 AM

Wow, I think you're the first person on this forum that is talking good stuff about your dealership! If we could all be so lucky as you!

dan
Old 12-29-2006, 11:24 AM
Newbie just Registered

Deus did the SE-R FSB. He said it made a hugh difference when he autocrossed a little while back. I'm thinking about doing this in a few months.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
Wow, I think you're the first person on this forum that is talking good stuff about your dealership! If we could all be so lucky as you!

dan
I have bought three cars from the dealership this year. In doing so, I have become good friends with the Service Mgr. He is pretty fair, and we actually go out for beers once in a while. Of course, I get stuck with the tab

Seriously though, I feel they treat me pretty fair and I never feel bent on the bills they give me.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by RHMax
Deus did the SE-R FSB. He said it made a hugh difference when he autocrossed a little while back. I'm thinking about doing this in a few months.
This is the thing.... I read someone's install guide in the sticky section, and it didnt appear any mods needed to be done. Appeared to be identical to the Altima install. I just want to make sure as this isnt a "Maxima" part.

Also, for those of you that havent upgraded the sways, I cant even describe the difference it makes. Going from the Altima SE, to installing the NISMO sways was like night and day.

Going from the Atlima with the NISMO sways to the Maxima, makes me feel like I am driving a sailboat.

I wish Nissan would reverse engineer the Mazda 6 that I had. That car handled pefectly. The engine was the part that needed modding!
Old 12-29-2006, 02:25 PM
Newbie just Registered

The later '05+ SE-R FSB is a little thicker than Maxima's, 24mm to 22mm. I think the bushings need to be changed.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:36 AM

Then my question is, will the NISMO fit, since it is essentially the same as the SE-R? I figure, if they give me the parts at cost, I should be about evenly priced for the front SE-R and the rear Cattmann because I dont pay shipping.

I think I will order them and see what happens during the install. If they dont fit, I am sure the dealer will order the SE-R for me without any issues.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes they will
Old 12-30-2006, 12:15 PM

Which one is thicker...NISMO or 05 Altima SE-R?
Old 12-30-2006, 12:59 PM

If memory serves me the NISMO is thicker, but don't quote me.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:35 PM

I would love to do this upgrade, but didn't Deus had to remove the steering column in addition to dropping the subframe? And yes, while in the process, might as well upgrade the bushings too.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Albert
I would love to do this upgrade, but didn't Deus had to remove the steering column in addition to dropping the subframe? And yes, while in the process, might as well upgrade the bushings too.
You HAVE TO upgrade the bushings...as in get the same one that the SE-R comes with. The stock bushings on the Maxima will be too small for the SE-R bar.

And Deus had to drop the subframe/support the engine/tranny. You don't have to remove the steering column, but Deus had to screw around with it because when he lowered the subframe a male connector popped out of the female connector and he had no steering...

Dan
Old 12-30-2006, 08:03 PM

If you found my thread on the sway bar, it indicated that the SE R bar directly swaps in. I had a hitch when the steering column fell out of the rack. But other than that its a fairly straightforward mod. It made quite a difference in handling. I have adjustable rear shocks so i can stiffen rear to make up for stiffer front. Id recommend the upgraded rear bar endlinks too. If the nismo bar is bigger, it isnt by much. Id go with the $90 SE R bar and call it a day.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
You HAVE TO upgrade the bushings...as in get the same one that the SE-R comes with. The stock bushings on the Maxima will be too small for the SE-R bar.

And Deus had to drop the subframe/support the engine/tranny. You don't have to remove the steering column, but Deus had to screw around with it because when he lowered the subframe a male connector popped out of the female connector and he had no steering...

Dan
Dan, you are correct. When the dealer installed the NISMO bars on my Altima, they came out to me in the lobby after the back was installed and said "that was easy, should you have out in about 20 minutes once the front is complete."

Next thing I know, I hear cussing, and pry bars dropping. It took about 45 minutes to get the front bar removed and the new one installed. As Deus mentioned, they had to drop the subframe which took quite a while. When I got the car back, it was like driving a new car.

I just dont understand why NISSAN doesnt make this standard equipment on the SE models. Charge me the extra $100 in the sticker price. It doesnt reduce ride quality at all and makes a world of difference in the handling.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:36 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by brn5150
Hello everyone:

Just curious, I swapped out my stock sway bars on my 2006 Altima SE with the NISMO bars. It made a WORLD of difference.

I never thought to check into aftermarket sways for my Maxima. I was going to get the Cottmann (sp?)for the rear, but noticed nobody makes one for the front.

How many of you have installed the Altima SE-R in the front? Curious, because I would like the dealer to do both front and rear while the car is in. This car definately needs the upgrade!

Thanks for the input and a great writeup in the sticky section!
Deus has it on his maxima and he swears by it. Deus is the guy that races his car alot at local time trials. Ask him about it, he even did the install him self. For whats its worth, the mod is amazing. Thats my next one

Kamski
Old 12-31-2006, 12:11 PM

You will definitely feel how much flatter the car handles. I dont understand why any car company wont put in better bar as it doesnt affect ride quality at all, and makes the car handle much better. I cant imagine production cost is that much greater for a bar thats a few millimeters thicker.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:32 PM
TAZ

^^ but your looking at it from a modified cars standpoint. a car with stock rubber and stock suspension would be worse off in handling feel, as the tires would want to let go way too early. putting in a larger bar on an otherwise stock car would just emphasize the cars short comings. (talking purely about the fsb at this point), not something any car company would want to do.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:49 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

subscribed
Old 12-31-2006, 06:55 PM

sorry for jumpingin at the end, but where does one order the 90$ SER bar.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by maxmale
sorry for jumpingin at the end, but where does one order the 90$ SER bar.
cheapest place that I found on the net... http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214143 $92.44 shipped for the bar, bushings, and clamps!!! I'm calling Nissan up tomarrow to see how much their prices would be.

dan

edit: here are the part #'s for everything, but for one of the two clamps you will have to take out one of the 0's at the end...one extra 0 in the whole #
Old 01-01-2007, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by taz
^^ but your looking at it from a modified cars standpoint. a car with stock rubber and stock suspension would be worse off in handling feel, as the tires would want to let go way too early. putting in a larger bar on an otherwise stock car would just emphasize the cars short comings. (talking purely about the fsb at this point), not something any car company would want to do.
. . . unless the car company put on larger bars on BOTH ends. As I indicated earlier, this mod should be done in conjunction with a rear bar and the modified endlinks and also preferrably with the adjustable KYBs. THEN, there front would not let loose earlier. The proof is in the pudding - my car.