6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Struts

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 07:54 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Struts

The front of my car is making a crunching/clunking sound. When I go over bumps or dips in the road. Also, when going on and off the drive way. When the left tire goes up the curb first it makes the sound and then when the right wheel goes up the curb it makes the same noise. It's gets worse when a passenger is in the car. When it got cold is when I started to hear the stuts and now it sounds crazy.

I did remove some pins in the front wheel wells when I installed my corner lights. Only two pins per side and I could not push them back in without removing the wheel so I left them off. Could this have caused the sound I'm hearing?

What do you guys think?
Old 01-08-2007, 08:47 PM

Well if the splash guards are flopping around and hitting things then maybe, but very unlikely. Imo, get some KYB struts/shocks-$288 shipped! And if you're looking for a "sportier" ride then they are about 20%-25% stifer, yet maintain a decent comfortable ride!

dan
Old 01-08-2007, 10:46 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
Well if the splash guards are flopping around and hitting things then maybe, but very unlikely. Imo, get some KYB struts/shocks-$288 shipped! And if you're looking for a "sportier" ride then they are about 20%-25% stifer, yet maintain a decent comfortable ride!

dan
Think I might be driving a little to agressive for the Max. A passenger told me one time to slow down because its a big car and I'm driving it like its not. Sometimes when I turn corners the back tires squeel. Does this mean I need to slow down?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:50 AM

Passenger thing yes! The squealing tires thing=no...unless you're taking turns at 80+ then you shouldn't be squealing. I've taken many turns at "higher" speeds and have not heard any squeal...due to the mods in my sig!

dan
Old 01-09-2007, 06:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Recently, my Max04 also makes a crunching noise (Grrrrrrrr!!) when I go over bumps or turn the steering wheel to right. I guess the noise from struts. I will take my max to dealership, and hope they replace the struts. Otherwise, I will install KYB struts/shock absorber....mm

Todd
Old 01-09-2007, 01:13 PM

I've had and still do have the same problem as you. First time I brought it in I had my front two struts replaced at about 27,000, tech told me he could compress them with his hands, that how bad they were. Well, next time I brought it back I had the endlinks replaced, didnt get any feedback on the condition of them, but the car rode slightly smoother, steering was tighter all around, but the same f*ckin noise was still there!! Oh, and I got four new tires inbetween from the cracking on the sidewalls. I've posted a few times about this and my ongoing problem, but I need to go back to the dealer for another go around. The only thing that's holding this issue up on my end, is duplicating the noise for the tech when we go out for a test drive. I can't exactly drive him to the roads I know bring out htis problem more. So, I guess this is a follow up issue, hope to get back to you guys sooner rather than later.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:18 PM

Blown struts are a common problem. They are covered under warranty (if you are not over the allowed miles), mine were replaced at 30,000 miles, even though I had some aftermarket springs.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:00 PM
SmokinMaxSE

I question the strut at the dealer and they found nothing. The steering doesn't feel right and If I make a turn at 20mph the rear tires do squeel. The dealer did the rear subframe thing and did not do a wheel alignment after. I went to NTB and they showed me on paper that the car needed alignment. I questioned the dealer about the alignment and found out that they never did one after the rear sub frame replacement. I told the dealer that NTB is saying the car needed alignment and the dealer wants to send it to Fire Stone and do the Alignment for free now.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SmokinMaxSE
Think I might be driving a little to agressive for the Max. A passenger told me one time to slow down because its a big car and I'm driving it like its not. Sometimes when I turn corners the back tires squeel. Does this mean I need to slow down?
No. Its called oversteer (Back end slides out)

To increase understeer (or reduce oversteer)
Stiffen front springs
Stiffen from dampers
Stiffen front anti-roll bar
Increase front tire pressure
Increase front toe-in
Old 01-09-2007, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by madmik
No. Its called oversteer (Back end slides out)

To increase understeer (or reduce oversteer)
Stiffen front springs
Stiffen from dampers
Stiffen front anti-roll bar
Increase front tire pressure
Increase front toe-in
And decrease power!
Old 01-14-2007, 03:15 PM

Probably just need new struts. My RF strut is now making noise, the dealer actually noticed it before me. Said that they wont replace it under warranty until it starts to leak though...keeping any eye on it now and waiting for it to leak so I can get it replaced.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:55 AM

my car is making the same clunking noise on the driver's side.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:57 AM
Coz
Newbie - Just Registered

I just had the right front strut replaced on our '07 last week. It made the same clunking creaking noise you describe. Was very appearant when making left hand turns. The mechanic was able to easily hear it just a doing slow left hand circle in a bumpy parking lot. I'll keep my ears peeled for the left front.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Stang-seeking Max Missile

I had the same problem w/ stock struts- went thru 2 sets F&R w/i 2 yrs - I'm done w/OEM.
I recomnd KYB's to you even if you're still under warranty.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:37 AM

wow, nice. how much did the kyb's cost you?
Old 01-15-2007, 11:45 AM

i sometimes get the crunching sound wen going over bumps, but that is occasional when the car is still cold.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:02 PM

yeah , i just recently had my struts replaced undder warranty. i have 15k on my car car and kyb will be next mod.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:20 PM

hi guys quick question. I also heard the same noise coming from the passenger front tire . is this a strut failure? should i be concerned and take it to the dealership ? thanx
Old 01-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the same "clunking" noise from the rear side and I took my max04 to a dealership (Frederick, MD). They replaced the rear subframe (recall P5216) including sway bar endlinks and happily the noise disappeared exactly for 3 weeks --;..... the noise made me crazy again...

Today I have been again to the dealership to claim for replacing the struts, but they did not replace them, since there is no leak...
Now I don't know what to do and furthermore I am so sick of describing the noise to them and coming back home to be depressed.

What should I do, mod with KYB's?????????
Old 01-15-2007, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by toddjun

What should I do, mod with KYB's?????????
I would cry...but you can wait and see if your struts get worse like alot of ppl are doing or you could just give in and get a better set of shocks/struts.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:20 PM

take it to the stealership now cause that's how mine started and it just got worse after constant driving.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Struts

I have an '04 and suspect that the struts have been bad for awhile. I bought the car in June '05 with 21K. When I first got it the ride was smooth as glass and soaked up bumps in the road. Now she has 40K and with the recent cold I can't stand to drive her. If the road isn't smooth I hear a constant thump/thud from the front end and get this a squeak from the rear & the dealer performed the rear subframe recall. My workorder also did not indicate a four wheel alignment. Didn't think about it at the time. I took the car to Amocco to have the struts checked and they agreed the struts required replacement. Also the tires which I had purchased less than 6 months ago were either bald on the inner tread or down to the wear bars. My commute to work is approximately 1 - 2 miles. So I had less than 10K on the tires & I had them rotated a 4K intervals. I then took the car to NTB (I wanted another quote) who said the car needed an alignment but the strut were ok. They pass the diag test but were still very noisy to me. They showed me the printout indicating the car was out of alignment. The difference in the ride after the alignment was night & day. I'm calling tomorrow to schedule an appointment. I've have a nightmare experience with the car....engine replaced, two new ECU's, electrical issue which primarily why I'm taking it back in so I hoping they will replace the struts/shocks but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SmokinMaxSE
The front of my car is making a crunching/clunking sound. When I go over bumps or dips in the road. Also, when going on and off the drive way. When the left tire goes up the curb first it makes the sound and then when the right wheel goes up the curb it makes the same noise. It's gets worse when a passenger is in the car. When it got cold is when I started to hear the stuts and now it sounds crazy.

I did remove some pins in the front wheel wells when I installed my corner lights. Only two pins per side and I could not push them back in without removing the wheel so I left them off. Could this have caused the sound I'm hearing?

What do you guys think?

I had a "crunching" noise in the front end that developed around 15k miles. I also had the bad strut problem - and thought the two were intertwined. Had the struts replaced (quite an ordeal at the dealership, even thought they knew they were defective), but the crunching noise was still there. Went to dealership #2 and they, over the course of several visits tore apart most of the front suspension and still couldn't find the problem. I was begining to think that it was something drivers side dash that was making the noise, something internal.

Finally, after the crunching noise got so bad, I noticed something - it didn't do it when it was raining outside, but as soon as the car dried out, it would make the noise again. After figuring this part out, I knew it had to be something on the outside of the car that got wet. The noise happened the most over speed bumps and country roads - where there was a significant amount of strut travel.

As a last resort - we were ready to trade the Max - I decided to tear apart what i call the "cowl" area below the wiper blades. What I found was that the flap that covers the cabin air intake had come loose and became wedged up against a wiring harness. Somehow it was putting pressure on the wiring harness and causing this god aweful crunching noise. I still don't understand it and I probably wounldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it myself. Anyway, I reattached the flap on the firewall (I used some silicon on the clip, just to make sure it stays in place) and so far I have absolutely not had that noise. That has been over 6 months ago and another 15k miles.

I don't know what the chances are of this happening in someone else's Max, but it was a relatively easy fix. If I can save someone else this frustration that I went through, then we're all better off.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:43 AM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by MastMax
I had a "crunching" noise in the front end that developed around 15k miles. I also had the bad strut problem - and thought the two were intertwined. Had the struts replaced (quite an ordeal at the dealership, even thought they knew they were defective), but the crunching noise was still there. Went to dealership #2 and they, over the course of several visits tore apart most of the front suspension and still couldn't find the problem. I was begining to think that it was something drivers side dash that was making the noise, something internal.

Finally, after the crunching noise got so bad, I noticed something - it didn't do it when it was raining outside, but as soon as the car dried out, it would make the noise again. After figuring this part out, I knew it had to be something on the outside of the car that got wet. The noise happened the most over speed bumps and country roads - where there was a significant amount of strut travel.

As a last resort - we were ready to trade the Max - I decided to tear apart what i call the "cowl" area below the wiper blades. What I found was that the flap that covers the cabin air intake had come loose and became wedged up against a wiring harness. Somehow it was putting pressure on the wiring harness and causing this god aweful crunching noise. I still don't understand it and I probably wounldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it myself. Anyway, I reattached the flap on the firewall (I used some silicon on the clip, just to make sure it stays in place) and so far I have absolutely not had that noise. That has been over 6 months ago and another 15k miles.

I don't know what the chances are of this happening in someone else's Max, but it was a relatively easy fix. If I can save someone else this frustration that I went through, then we're all better off.
Well whatever it might be. It didn't do it until it got cold and it sounds like an old roller coaster ride.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:58 AM
SmokinMaxSE

Just noticed something. Ever since I've had the car, I've been washing it myself at a local car wash. Recently when it got below 0 I took it to a turtle wax car wash and the underbody was washed for the first time. I noticed the clunking noise almost stopped and I haven't heard it since that car wash three weeks ago. I'm sure it will be back.