6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Corner lamp replacement/install

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 10:18 AM
SmokinMaxSE

Corner lamp replacement/install

Ok, this is for anyone who is interested. Some members have asked how and in my original post I did not provide those answers for those interested. So I will try my best to explain. More info and pics in this thread......... http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=500149

I used these Optilux 2500 with halo.............http://www.autobarn.net/opaney.html

1st. I started with the wiring kit. I had to go thru the firewall. Since I didn't know how I paid circuit city $20 bucks to do the drill. The rest I did myself.

2nd. I had to use 12volt extension wires for the passenger side. The wires were not long enough to extend. Got the extension wires from Murray's and stripped then soldered the two wires together. Had to find the same wire guage as the wire kit provided for the Optilux 2500. I had to extend and solder the ground passenger wire,yellow halow wire and positive red wire.

3rd. The wires going into the car under the dash were to short to reach up to the dash for mounting. So I also extended those three wires with the same 12volt extension kit.

4th. I Tested the light on both sides before mounting.

I crawled under the front bumper and pulled two screws to reveal the corner light. I reached in and did everything from there. Any screws or clips removed must be put back.

***I used long zip ties to gather any hanging wire and electrical tape for any exposed wire***
Old 01-14-2007, 10:19 AM
SmokinMaxSE

Pics..........
Above. I placed a wire loom over the wires going into the fire wall.

Above shows the wires passing thru under the drivers side near the hood release lever. 3 wires for the switch.

Above shows were I placed the two way switch. Position one halo's only and position two H3's only and middle position is all off.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:21 AM
SmokinMaxSE

Above shows were I grounded the wires.

Above shows the "white" positve wire connected to the battery terminal.

Above shows the passenger side wires extending down pass the windshield fluid reservoir.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:21 AM
SmokinMaxSE

Above shows the stock lense next to the Optilux 2500. As you can see the 2500 is optical like the head light. The stock corner lense is not. The 2500 matches the light output of the stock fog lights and color.

Shown above. The stock corner light wire harness is still in place but unplugged and zip tied to the 2500 wire kit. I can easily put back the stock corner light and plug the stock bulb back in if I ever trade the car in. Also. as you can see there is only the bumper it self that hold the light. There was no way I could attach mounting brackets as the screws would be going thru the bumper. So the only thing I could think of was 3m double sided tape. It attaches to the surface like the emblems do and hold the light in place solid. I can't twist or pull the light out. To remove it I had to peel the tape itself. I've driven around over bumps and pot holes and the 3m hold the light like it does anything else.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:22 AM
SmokinMaxSE

Above you can see the double sided tape around the edges. I cut it into a circular pattern to help clean up the look. I could not find black double sided tape. if it was black it would be almost invisible.

Above shows how you can't see the double sided tape from a normal view. You have to get down and put your face to it in order to see the edges.
If anyone knows of a better way to attach these or knows of "black double sided tape", please let me know. I get alot of looks and some people don't even know its a 6gen Maxima.

***Do at your own RISK***
Old 01-14-2007, 10:23 AM
SmokinMaxSE

Nissan is using 4" fog lights on most of the 5th gen Maxima's and all Altima's. On ebay there seems to be a Nissan oem fog light of 4" that I think would also fit in these 6gen corner light openings. Here is one for example ......... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FOG-L...72557936QQrdZ1
Same size and the back side is flat like our corner lamps. But this has no wire kit.

Here is another one for the Altima.......... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03...72457221QQrdZ1
As you can see it looks to have a flat surface like all Nissan oem fog lights and I'm sure that would fit right up to the 6gen bumper.

Now this is my favorite here........... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-04...67098946QQrdZ1
Custom yellow tinted lense and the connectors can be used with any 12volt wiring kit.

Another one .............. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-04...67969312QQrdZ1

More........http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-01...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-01...QQcmdZViewItem

If you notice the 5th gen fog lamps have almost the same mounting bracket as the 6gen corner lamps. These might work too and come with its own wire kit.

Below shows how the stock corner light and bracket looks. Compare this with how the ebay oem nissan replacment lights and brakets look. I'm sure those would work as good if not better than the Optilux 2500. The brackets could mount just like the 6gen corner lights.

I would like to add that I don't know for a fact if the ebay lights will fit but the 6gen corner lights are 4" in diameter and most nissan fog lamps for the Altima and 5th gen Maxima are 4" in diameter. From the pictures on ebay they seem to look similar to the corner light with the flat surface and mounting braket. I would verify that it is 4" before doing anything. Buy at your own risk. 5th gen owners have mounted the same Optilux 2500 lights in the fog light openings.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:24 AM

nice man.... i wish i knew how to do all that wiring... why did you mount the switch on that cover? why not a little higher with the other buttons?
Old 01-14-2007, 10:29 AM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by 2LEET4U
nice man.... i wish i knew how to do all that wiring... why did you mount the switch on that cover? why not a little higher with the other buttons?
I didn't want to drill thru anything on the dash. Since I don't have the VDC switch, I could have put it there but that whole switch panel is connected and if you pull one the whole panel will pull. I don't want to mess with that stuff. So I passedd it thru the fuse panel cover were your fingers goes to pull it off. This way I don't have to reach under the dash to activate/turn off.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:15 AM

excellent write up.