6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Auto climate control turning on AC

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 03:16 PM

Auto climate control turning on AC

Anyone else notice when you hit the auto button (even when the temp is set at like 80 degrees) it turns on the AC? Is it actually turning on the ac compressor?
Old 01-17-2007, 03:23 PM

mine does that to must be normal because if you notice like on my max
in the morning when it's cold the AC will not come on but after driving for a while it comes on it's to control the temp in the car it should turn off
if the car goes below that temp
Old 01-17-2007, 03:28 PM

Mine automatically comes on if hit auto, I can turn it off manually only if i am taking in fresh air, if im recirculating then it wont turn off so my theory is that its on to reduce the humidity.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by I VIK I
Mine automatically comes on if hit auto, I can turn it off manually only if i am taking in fresh air, if im recirculating then it wont turn off so my theory is that its on to reduce the humidity.
Yes, you are correct. In certain situations (especially with recirculating air) the air can get humid causing the windshield to fog up, etc... turning on the AC helps to reduce humidity.

I think the general consensus here is that the AC is a fairly small system meant to run pretty much all the time, and it isn't a large drain. I think having a clear windshield is worth it.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:58 PM

Did u guys also notice that u can't turn the heat on unless it has the circulation open. What i'm getting at is that why is the car taking it's own decisions? i mean if i want to fog up the hell out of the car shouldn't i be able to ? Is there any way to turn it off? it's annoying at times.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by 1stmax&lovinit
Did u guys also notice that u can't turn the heat on unless it has the circulation open. What i'm getting at is that why is the car taking it's own decisions? i mean if i want to fog up the hell out of the car shouldn't i be able to ? Is there any way to turn it off? it's annoying at times.
turn auto off then you have control
Old 01-18-2007, 12:07 AM

Even if you turn auto off, you can only use the heater on fresh air mode. If you press the recirculation button with the heater on, the A/C turns on I think. Also, everytime you press the mode button to your desired setting, the A/C gets activated and have to physically depresss the A/C button again. Pretty annoying. I personally hate the climate control system in the maxima.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:20 AM

I've noticed this, and it annoys the hell out of me. I just make a habit of hitting the auto button, and hitting the A/C button immediately afterward. I live in Northern California, humidity is not even an issue here. I wouldn't mind running the A/C, but it does decrease fuel economy, right? I'm having a hard enough time with the crappy fuel economy anyway.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Nightscape
Even if you turn auto off, you can only use the heater on fresh air mode. If you press the recirculation button with the heater on, the A/C turns on I think. Also, everytime you press the mode button to your desired setting, the A/C gets activated and have to physically depresss the A/C button again. Pretty annoying. I personally hate the climate control system in the maxima.
when you press the mode button it will turn the AC on if you cycle passed a defrost setting. the AC is ALWAYS on when you're using any kind of defrost because it takes the humidity out of the air. any car will automatically turn the AC on if you go to a defrost option.

and really, is this REALLY that big of an annoyance? seems kind of like a really small issue
Old 01-18-2007, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nightscape

Well said . i guess i'm not the only 1 annoyed by this .
Old 01-18-2007, 09:32 PM

I really like the system in the Maxima. I guess that is because humidity is always an issue in the deep south, and the AC running takes care of that problem.

Times have changed. In the old days, whether the AC was on or off was of interest, even concern. But modern cars are designed with the idea that the AC will (even should?) be on much, if not most of the time. Many folks have not adjusted to that.

And the impact on gas mileage that was definitely measureable in the old days is difficult to measure these days. Yes, the systems have advanced that far.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I believe that the 'A/C' signifies that you are running either the air conditioning or the heater, depending on the temperature it is set at. If you were to remove the 'A/C', I believe you would have the regular fan on.

I noticed this when it started to get colder and I could never find anything that would show me that the heater was on. I always kept the 'A/C' logo off because I thought the air conditioner was coming on. After a while of driving I noticed that it was actually getting colder in the car. I turned it back to Auto which brought up the 'A/C' and within about 10 minutes the car got warm.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:21 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

THE A/C is running as dehumidifier when you have it set to HEAT
Old 01-19-2007, 06:38 PM

Auto climate control is awsome, but it seems like more people don't understand it than do. Auto means just that...it does what it needs to do to keep the windows defogged, the temp want it needs to be, the air fresh, etc, etc. That's just what it does.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:25 PM

Another thing I like about it is that your AC compressor never sits for a long period of time without turning. Keeps it nice and lubricated.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:23 PM

i want to change my rear spring but to make em hgher anny suggestions because i have a subwoofer
Old 02-16-2007, 06:40 PM

C'mon guys! Can't we all have fun driving our smooth VQ engines instead of worrying about A/C or what not?
Old 02-16-2007, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by drzcrazychulo4u
i want to change my rear spring but to make em hgher anny suggestions because i have a subwoofer
and BTW, do you have any COMMENTS or SUGGESTIONS regarding the topic at hand aside from your subwoofer question? oh...and welcome to this great forum!
Old 02-16-2007, 09:30 PM

i thikn there's a sequence of buttons that you must press inorder to have the air recirculating and the heat on. i've tried. but i haven't record it. only did it 2x and coudn't even get it done again. so wheni do it again i'll let you guys know
Old 02-17-2007, 02:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

But does the compressor runs all the time when AC light is on?
Or does it cycle the compressor?
Old 02-17-2007, 06:11 AM

Automatic intake air control
In the AUTO mode, the intake air will be controlled
automatically. To manually control the intake
air, push the air recirculate or fresh air button.
To return to the automatic control mode,
push the same button for about 2 seconds. The
indicator lights (both air recirculate and fresh air
buttons) will flash twice, and then the intake air
will be controlled automatically.

Hope this helps
Old 02-18-2007, 05:24 AM

Your not going to get heat until the engine is warmed up. I turn off AUTO in the cold weather and recirculate the air until the engine starts to get warm. That way I don't get cold air blowing on me. This works on cold dry days. If there is any moisture in the car on the mats I use the AUTO with the A/C so the windows don't frost up on the inside.