6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

headlight halogen to hid

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 05:02 PM

headlight halogen to hid

hey guys,

did some research and from the conseusus, it was stated that the maxima halogen headlight assembly could be replaced by the xenon headlight assembly and it would be plug and play.

i know this isnt the altima forums but a lot of 6th genners also hvae an altima so i figured id ask the same question for the halogen -> hid swap.

thanks,
brian
Old 01-23-2007, 08:24 PM

i had the halogen headlights got me some 8k's and plug them in...no problems..they look nice
Old 01-24-2007, 01:56 PM

just the bulb? i was under the impression that the xenon required more electricity to get them started than the halogen light needed so there was rewiring involved along with a other stuff. waht bulbs did ya get?
Old 01-24-2007, 03:16 PM

he probably got a hid kit. i actually bought the whole hid assembly for both R and L
Old 01-24-2007, 03:43 PM

so wait, can the xenon bulb be plugged in directly into the halogen spot, or what, now im confused
Old 01-24-2007, 03:53 PM

no it cant be plugged in, you need a balast igniter and ect, in short you need a kit...
Old 01-24-2007, 04:01 PM

As far as Maxima...on an '04 with halogen, what does it take to goto HID? Can you just buy gen6 hid assemblies and swap out the halogen assemblies? Is there wiring also if done this way?
Old 01-24-2007, 06:23 PM

from what ive been reading up on is you can swap out the whole assembly. my max already came with hids but my altima didnt. i just ordered the whole hid assembly off a se-r. your jsut going to need a wire harness from xenondepot.com to help handle the extra power draw needed when you turn them on.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by cobrar97
As far as Maxima...on an '04 with halogen, what does it take to goto HID? Can you just buy gen6 hid assemblies and swap out the halogen assemblies? Is there wiring also if done this way?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/McCul...79378305QQrdZ1
Takes more time to take off bumper than to install this kit and it is a sweet kit.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:42 PM

if your going aftermarket, might as well get 6k, those look the best IMO
Old 01-24-2007, 07:21 PM

yes of course you will need the kit after that its just plug them in..hardest/pain in the butt is to take of the bumper
Old 01-24-2007, 07:57 PM

thats why i did the oem headlight assembly swap.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:36 PM

let me see i fi got this straight. correct me if im wrong. going from halogen to hids, you cut the wire that goes tot he halogen bulb, connect that to the ballast. then the ballast has a second wire that goes to the hid bulb which u can use wiith the halogen projectors. (i heard it could get blurry for drivers in front of you). Is bumper removal necessary to do this or no? and finally, low-beam and hi-beam will work correctly even with the hid swap?
Old 01-24-2007, 08:59 PM

if the hid kit is a bi-xenon, yes. if not, you will only have low beam. bumper removal is necessary IMO so you have room to work with.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by eK9aT10pSi
if the hid kit is a bi-xenon, yes. if not, you will only have low beam. bumper removal is necessary IMO so you have room to work with.
I thought that the 6th gen halogen projectors also have that cutoff shutter shield like the HID projectors that come in the HID housings(solenoid moves the shield slightly forward and up so there will be high beam as well). correct me if I am wrong. If it is the way I think it is, you should buy a harness that will allow the HIDs to stay on and not turn off when you turn on the high beam(solenoid moves the shield) Or else there will be no high beam
Old 01-25-2007, 10:02 AM

as my original post, this was for the altima, lol. thats why i was doing a complete assembly swap, not a hid conversion. the oem assemblies are bi-xenon so they have low and high beams. my question was for the wiring. i think the stock bulbs are 55w but when the hids power up, they use 75w til completely warm then go down to 35w.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:50 PM

okay i did this swap on my '04 max in November, removing the bumper isn't that difficult once you locate the screws. I got the entire OEM headlight assemblies from another Maxima and just plugged them in, they work just fine and look even better. The projectors are different from the Halogen ones too. I took my Halogen ones apart to see the difference. Another thing you can do is buy the complete OEM ballast, bulb, Ignitor and Projector on E-bay from someone who has wrecked theirs and swap them for the Halogen ones, I did this because the HID lense cover was scratched when I bought it off of ebay, so I just used all of the internal parts and swapped them inside the Halogen housing. works perfectly!!!! only question i have is if i need to change the fuses since i changed the lights and they draw more power at startup.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by aryathegreat
let me see i fi got this straight. correct me if im wrong. going from halogen to hids, you cut the wire that goes tot he halogen bulb, connect that to the ballast. then the ballast has a second wire that goes to the hid bulb which u can use wiith the halogen projectors. (i heard it could get blurry for drivers in front of you). Is bumper removal necessary to do this or no? and finally, low-beam and hi-beam will work correctly even with the hid swap?
You are making the so much harder than it needs to be, just pick the kit you like and it fits all together. I bought a kit from one of the group deals and hated the output so I bought the kit from previous post and loved it. Nice and easy and NO cutting of any wires, just incase to go back to stock halogen. That kit in 5k looks sweet and I have both high and low beam hid.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Cool Member

Originally Posted by hdandb
You are making the so much harder than it needs to be, just pick the kit you like and it fits all together. I bought a kit from one of the group deals and hated the output so I bought the kit from previous post and loved it. Nice and easy and NO cutting of any wires, just incase to go back to stock halogen. That kit in 5k looks sweet and I have both high and low beam hid.
What type of HID did you buy? 9005? 9006?
Is 5K has a better output that 6K?
Old 01-26-2007, 09:40 AM

The kit from the group buy was a 6k kit which is the one I did not like. As fas as the size (9005 , 9006) I am not sure because he sent me the wrong kit which he charged $80 more for and sent me the correct kit but kept my $80, go figure. That kit was dim (like cheap parts or bad bulbs) and the pattern was horrible even for the Maxima. So I was out $360 and ran across that on Ebay and bought it. I am not sure if they are actual mcCollugh ballast but that kit was night and day from the group buy.
I just emailed the seller and told him what I wanted and what car I had and he then gave me some links on his stuff for ebay. I think it was 9006 with no trimming. I also went with the 4700k and it puts out some crazy bright light that looks like my Lexus. The higher the number the brighter but the LESS you will see. I put upgraded 8k in my STI and it was brighter but things were not as easy to see. The 4700k looks almost like a sunny day where as the 8000k was brighter but more blue. If you want the look of bright, bluish, hids' then go with 8k, but if you want to see everything crisp and clear go with the 4700k or 5k.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/McCul...78172707QQrdZ1
Old 01-26-2007, 09:43 PM

so wait, wat was the confusion of having no high beams. does that apply for this kit ^^
Old 01-27-2007, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by aryathegreat
so wait, wat was the confusion of having no high beams. does that apply for this kit ^^
To be honest with you I do not know. There are kits that say bi-xenon and some kits say that your low beams will be hid and your high beam will be halogen. It seems like on my 04 Max that there is some kind of flap that raises and lowers between low and high beams. As mentioned in prior post the group buy charged me more money for the bi-xenon and we I got the kit it did not come close to fitting, nothing matched.
You will not lose your high beams altogether with any kit and if you have to cut wires with any kit do NOT use that kit. I have installed this kit (the kit on ebay) on several different cars and so far it is an awesome kit with the only PIA is getting to the headlights.
*FYI* If anybody is thinking of getting the 10k or 12k they put out some extreme light but it will turn white cars purple. It looks crazy during the day but at night it is insane.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:56 AM

so with the kit on ebay you have hid high beams or halogen. and the ebay kit im guessing didnt require any cutting of wires since u already installed them correct.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:36 PM

OK listen...in the maxima you only have 1 headlight bulb. It IS your low beam and high beam. When you turn on your high beams all that happens is the little shield moves up in the projector causing all the light output from the bulb to come out instead of it being cut off. So, if you were to get that HID kit that was linked in a previous post from ebay then you will still have low beam and high beam, only now they will be HID. There is no cutting of wires with that kit that was mentioned. I used to have it on my old eclipse.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by sonikbewm
OK listen...in the maxima you only have 1 headlight bulb. It IS your low beam and high beam. When you turn on your high beams all that happens is the little shield moves up in the projector causing all the light output from the bulb to come out instead of it being cut off. So, if you were to get that HID kit that was linked in a previous post from ebay then you will still have low beam and high beam, only now they will be HID. There is no cutting of wires with that kit that was mentioned. I used to have it on my old eclipse.
What he said!
Old 01-27-2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by sonikbewm
ya thats what i thought. the shield just moves the light beam up and down, but reading the previous posts, i got pretty confused. thanks for clearing that up.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:25 PM

thats why the bulb is a bi-xenon so it has hi/low