6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

abs tweaking out...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

abs tweaking out...

just today my abs has started to tweak out, mainly in parking lot speed situations, 2nd gear on the brakes to roll over a speed bump ill depress the clutch hit the brakes and the pedal has a slight pulse and it makes the same sound that the abs makes when you stop on ice/snow.

idk wtf is going on, no abs/brake light has light up just makes fvvcked up sounds. it will happen 2-5 times of every 10 stops, dosnt do anything under hard braking, just when your on them lightly.

anyone experence this before?
Old 03-02-2007, 03:55 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

If you have traction control, try turning it off. Other than that, It's a first for me??? Stealership would be my next option...
Old 03-02-2007, 07:22 AM

mines a earlie 04 so no tc, i hope something just got wet and was tweaking, if it does it today off to the stealership she goes
Old 03-03-2007, 05:50 AM

update- my buddie who has a 05 se said his car made a smilar noise because his rotors were warped and his pads just about done, idk though, the lights wont come on at all unless i fight the system, then i can get the abs to shut down and braking is normal? once abs is active it sounds like theres a raised spot on one of the pads/rotors thats making a sound every rotation, increasing with the cars speed, but its to no set speed or anything.

ill hit the brakes with the abs still active and it will pump them, sometimes at low speeds i can hear waht i beleive to be the abs computer clicking like crazy

dealer said they hvae no clue and i have to wait till mid next week
Old 03-03-2007, 08:24 AM

6th gen max.org has just informed me that its most likely my abs actuator, the guy said theres a tsb for it, dealer says no.

fvvck, 1500 bucks for abs?
Old 03-04-2007, 02:21 PM

wow, i dont really know alot about abs, alot of problems with 6th gens abs going out??
Old 03-05-2007, 02:20 PM

It is probably the actuator or rotors
Old 03-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i just started having this problem on my 04 se this morning.
it started off with just pulsating from the brake pedal and a weird clicking noise.

so i parked the car and drove the minivan to work -_-'

when i got home, i thought i'd take it out again to try and pinpoint the problem... the noise has gotten worse. its evolved into something else. its clicking and grinding and pulsating at low speeds. WHY WHY WHY is Nissan not announcing a recall....?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by striderg3
i just started having this problem on my 04 se this morning.
it started off with just pulsating from the brake pedal and a weird clicking noise.

so i parked the car and drove the minivan to work -_-'

when i got home, i thought i'd take it out again to try and pinpoint the problem... the noise has gotten worse. its evolved into something else. its clicking and grinding and pulsating at low speeds. WHY WHY WHY is Nissan not announcing a recall....?
I suspect ABS actuator. Just a guess from the symptoms you posted.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:44 PM

I just came back from the dealership for the same problem, they replaced my abs pump but i am still having the problem just not as bad...going back tomorrow so i wil update you guys on the end result. I agree that this is a common problem with the 04 max, nissan should issue a recall, even the guys at the dealership admit that this is a common problem with the 04's.....

Last edited by Jammmaxx; 03-10-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:58 PM

Bad abs sensor that they will replace. There is a TSB for it but if you are out of warranty, you will have to pay. Drive the car as little as possible so you avoid blowing the abs actuator who'll run you at least $500+.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Oolatec
Bad abs sensor that they will replace. There is a TSB for it but if you are out of warranty, you will have to pay. Drive the car as little as possible so you avoid blowing the abs actuator who'll run you at least $500+.

+1 what he said. From what i have read here on the forums the sensors can get dirty and thrown off by dirt and particles.. I heard of people cleaning them and the problem cleared up.

But yes that actuator can blow and it's costly to get fixed. Some people have pulled the fuse under the hood for the ABS but beware it will disable other features of the car.. I forget the exact thread but you can pull the fuse on the ABS but still keep the other functions by jumping a wire in the fuse box.

good luck
Old 03-09-2009, 09:52 PM

Yeah... and you have to take it in before you start pulling a warning light... because once that light comes on... your actuator is gone.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

posted a video of the ABS problem

Originally Posted by LiquidIce
+1 what he said. From what i have read here on the forums the sensors can get dirty and thrown off by dirt and particles.. I heard of people cleaning them and the problem cleared up.

But yes that actuator can blow and it's costly to get fixed. Some people have pulled the fuse under the hood for the ABS but beware it will disable other features of the car.. I forget the exact thread but you can pull the fuse on the ABS but still keep the other functions by jumping a wire in the fuse box.

good luck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQfdgWu6l1A

here's a video of the problem I think we're all having?
I haven't had the ABS light go on (thank the lord).
I tried pulling the Red fuse out of the fuse box but that didn't stop the noise from the ABS. the feedback to my brake pedal has reduced today (magically). all i did was spray all four wheel areas VERY thoroughly.

I've been "driving" the car back and forth down my street to determine just wtf is going on. but no luck so far. thats why i've posted that video.

can someone please help me determine what the exact issue is (please view video).
Old 03-10-2009, 11:25 AM

Bad ABS sensor. Take it in ASAP before you blow your actuator and have to pay hundreds more.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by striderg3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQfdgWu6l1A

here's a video of the problem I think we're all having?
I haven't had the ABS light go on (thank the lord).
I tried pulling the Red fuse out of the fuse box but that didn't stop the noise from the ABS. the feedback to my brake pedal has reduced today (magically). all i did was spray all four wheel areas VERY thoroughly.

I've been "driving" the car back and forth down my street to determine just wtf is going on. but no luck so far. thats why i've posted that video.

can someone please help me determine what the exact issue is (please view video).
OK that video made me dizzy!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah... and you have to take it in before you start pulling a warning light... because once that light comes on... your actuator is gone.
thankfully no light yet.
i dont want to drive the car with that problem though.
can someone please tell me EXACTLY how to disable the ABS pump.
Taking out that Red fuse beside the battery did nothing for me.
My telescopic steering and power windows etc stopped working.
but that noise persisted when i drove.

anyone know how to fully disable ABS? thanks
Old 03-10-2009, 05:24 PM

Ive got an 01 maxima and MY LIGHT CAME ON "TODAY" i noticed no problem with my ABS system prior to the light coming on when i felt a pulsation under my foot, when i had the brake pedal depressed

So does the simple fact that the light is on MEAN IT IS "THE ACTUATOR GONE BAD"
Old 03-10-2009, 05:45 PM

Get it checked out.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:07 AM
Banned

You, me and a handful of others...i been dealing with it after a quote of $350 from the dealer to just 'take apart and clean/ re-notch' rear sensors. No codes at the moment and it worsens in the cold. Just bought a house so its been on the bottom of the list but its annoying and will need to be fixed, anyone in the Buffalo Ny area who knows how to take this stuff apart and clean it PM me.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:08 AM
Banned

Bad ABS sensor. Take it in ASAP before you blow your actuator and have to pay hundreds more.

Try $1,000 minimum
Old 03-17-2009, 07:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2004 Maxima SE: Just had my wife’s ABS issue resolved yesterday after it started to act up a week ago. Same symptoms as everyone else’s in this forum, who has had this problem with the 6th Gen Maximas. We live in MN and the snow/salt/dirt built up inside the rear left hub throwing off the ABS speed sensor. I cleaned all the 4 ABS sensors and
both rear hubs but the problem was still there. I even replaced the left rear sensor but that
didn’t fix it either. So I returned that part and after I disconnected and reconnected both rear ABS sensors the problem went away. Maybe doing that resets the ABS, don’t
know but the problem is gone. Hope this helps everyone that is dealing with this known problem.

Symptoms:
  • The ABS light is not on
  • ABS would start pulsating during normal breaking
  • I can here the sound of the ABS actuator whining in the front when I start driving and then turn off as I speed up.

Root cause:
  • Dirty Left rear hub (snow/salt/sand)
  • Both Front ABS sensors where covered with snow and salt

Fix:
  • Cleaned all four ABS sensors with a towel
  • Removed the rear hubs and cleaned them
  • Disconnected and reconnected the rear ABS sensors

Here are some helpful links to the ABS issues in the forum:
Old 03-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

im hoping my problem is fixed as easily as yours was.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

striderg3 I hope it's that simple for you too. Like everyone said don't keep driving the car or else you might really destroy the actuator itself than it will cost you $'s. So far the problem has not come back for me knock on wood! Best of luck to you...
Old 03-19-2009, 01:36 AM

I just did this last weekend it was a pain to get the rear hubs off. I cleaned both off I had sooooo much rust and salt I had to use sand paper!!! Also cleaned the sensors and now everything is working perfectly..
Old 03-20-2009, 07:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Icons04SilverMax
I just did this last weekend it was a pain to get the rear hubs off. I cleaned both off I had sooooo much rust and salt I had to use sand paper!!! Also cleaned the sensors and now everything is working perfectly..
Could you be more specific? Can I just pop off the wheels and do a cleaning? What exactly do I need to take apart is what I am wondering. I know what the HUB is...but do I need to just pop off the cap to the hub and clean it out as it stays on the car or is it necessary to remove the brake disk, rotor, and hub etc...?

NM- sounds like I would have to take the wholle damn thing apart...no time for that I will have to shop shops. A place near my work quoted me $200-$250 to clean the hubs. However, the nissan tech wrote up that the sensors need to be 're-notched', the mechanic at the other shop had no ideawhat that refferred to.

Last edited by 04BlackMaxx; 03-20-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:22 PM

I took it all apart. Calipers-rotors-hubs. I felt that if I do the job throughly I probably wont have to worry about this starting up again, but if you need a quik fix you could just jack up the car take the wheel off and unbolt the sensor and clean it with some contact cleaner put back, drive and hope its gone.. If you do choose to do the job right don't pop anything off. The hub has four bolts holding it in place once you remove the bolts thread them back in about half way then wack it out with a hammer.. No renotching involved... I think this is occuring because over time the salt builds rust and eventually ends up the sensors.. So you might eventually see some 6.5 gens complaining about this also. That is if you deal with all four seasons(Chicago weather). Over all pretty easy job if you have the right tools just like the y-pipe.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Icons04SilverMax
I took it all apart. Calipers-rotors-hubs. I felt that if I do the job throughly I probably wont have to worry about this starting up again, but if you need a quik fix you could just jack up the car take the wheel off and unbolt the sensor and clean it with some contact cleaner put back, drive and hope its gone.. If you do choose to do the job right don't pop anything off. The hub has four bolts holding it in place once you remove the bolts thread them back in about half way then wack it out with a hammer.. No renotching involved... I think this is occuring because over time the salt builds rust and eventually ends up the sensors.. So you might eventually see some 6.5 gens complaining about this also. That is if you deal with all four seasons(Chicago weather). Over all pretty easy job if you have the right tools just like the y-pipe.
Thanks for posting details. this may actually help my private mechanic do this for me!
im in the middle of this abs issue.
04 Maxima with 120km. just started last week.
another very quick fix is disconnecting your abs pump.
that way u can drive the car without risking to burn the actuator
Old 06-12-2009, 06:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is there a thread with detailed directions (maybe with pictures or drawings) on how to clean the ABS sensors. My '04 Maxima just started the have ABS problem. My wife and I share our car, so it's important I get this fixed right away. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2010, 08:05 AM

Old thread.. but it sounds like my whining noise is related to an ABS system issue. Is the ABS actuator located behind the passenger firewall? It seems as though when I tested my car on reverse to try and trigger the sensor I get the whining noise on the passenger side in the front. My brakes and ABS are working fine, and no ABS light is coming on. Would it be safe to say to go ahead and clean the hubs, and sensors as preventive maintenance?