6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

OEM Rear Sway Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 07:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

OEM Rear Sway Bar?

If you have a OEM sway bar this is one of the top two things you can do (and the least expensive) for better handling and reducing understeer...

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2359/article.html
Old 03-02-2007, 08:29 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

good stuff.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:03 AM
TAZ

They make those types of bars shown for VW's, the they call them O bars. They work extremey well but there is a very obvious decrease in ride quality. Cornering is greatly improved but at the cost of comfort. Where as a larger rear sway bar is a simple bolt on without the need to drill a rear beam, and ride quality does not suffer at all
Old 03-02-2007, 09:17 AM

Thats the nice thing about a larger rear bar; much better handling, and no affect on ride quality. The only concern is lift-throttle oversteer. Just don't do it!
Old 03-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Thats the nice thing about a larger rear bar; much better handling, and no affect on ride quality. The only concern is lift-throttle oversteer. Just don't do it!
Interesting info, but agree, Just don't do it on the Max! We have anti-sway bars already for the Max...
Old 03-02-2007, 12:45 PM

a little confuse here....... so because of the article, dont upgrade your rear bars??? is that what everyone is saying?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by 2LEET4U
a little confuse here....... so because of the article, dont upgrade your rear bars??? is that what everyone is saying?

The thicker the sway bar the less understeer (FWD cars generally have lots of understeer).

The thicker the sway bar the better the steering response is and turn in.

The thicker the sway bar the less lean in corners.

Thicker sway bars are the easiest way to better overall handling without overly compromising ride quality.

Get one and corner like a beast!
Old 03-02-2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by coolmax05
The thicker the sway bar the less understeer (FWD cars generally have lots of understeer).

The thicker the sway bar the better the steering response is and turn in.

The thicker the sway bar the less lean in corners.

Thicker sway bars are the easiest way to better overall handling without overly compromising ride quality.

Get one and corner like a beast!
I agree. The thicker the rear sway bar the better the handling. You just have to take extra precaution NOT to lift ur foot off the throttle in a turn. I installed a thicker front bar as well as a thicker rear bar, but I have adjustable rear shocks, so I can dial oversteer back in. Bottom line: GET A REAR BAR!!
Old 03-02-2007, 03:38 PM

Having knowledge also in this area, I am in total agreement with post #7 & 8. Great post
Old 03-02-2007, 04:02 PM

i dont understand what makes it so bad to lift your foot of the throttlle? Can someone elaborate a little more?
Old 03-02-2007, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by imran83
i dont understand what makes it so bad to lift your foot of the throttlle? Can someone elaborate a little more?

+1
Old 03-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Newbie just Registered

Because you'll plow in to whatever you're steering away from.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:29 PM

Deaccelerating in turns with FWD vehicles can actually eliminate or reduce understeer by placing more load on the front (steering) tires. More load = more grip. However, the inverse is true. Since the weight is shifted forward, the rear tires will have less grip, and due to the two distinct lines taken, the back end will have a habit of swinging out if that grip is low enough (causing oversteer). A stiff sway bar will exacerbate this condition. This is why car manufacturers lean on the side of caution going with understeer/weak rear sway bars. In extreme conditions (high speed cornering) the public at large is able to deal with understeer better than they can oversteer. Why??? People tend to freak and deaccelerate or even apply the brakes unlike us "HIP" Maxima drivers. We turn into the direction of the skid and pass Vipers like they were driven by Great-Grandma. Remember the old Porsche's-Rear engine/tranny. Massive oversteer produced by all the weight in the rears. Guys would wrap themselves around trees like it was going out of style. Since then porsche has widened the rear stance and tires to help prevent this from happening. Yes, producing less oversteer!
Old 03-02-2007, 05:40 PM
briancopeland

Nice article. I just recently installed KYB struts and Progress springs. I've been loving the new handling, but have wondered what more new sway bars would get me. The article explained it well. I've been contemplating the Nismo sway bars. They're actually for the Altima, but I've read they will fit the 6th generation Maxima perfectly. I've found them pretty cheap at a Nissan dealership in Georgia ($275 front and rear). Check'em out if you're interested:

http://www.vadennissanparts.com/

I may go for them soon.

-Brian

Old 03-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Newbie just Registered

Deaccelerating in turns with FWD vehicles can actually eliminate or reduce understeer by placing more load on the front (steering) tires. More load = more grip. However, the inverse is true. Since the weight is shifted forward, the rear tires will have less grip, and due to the two distinct lines taken, the back end will have a habit of swinging out if that grip is low enough (causing oversteer). A stiff sway bar will exacerbate this condition. This is why car manufacturers lean on the side of caution going with understeer/weak rear sway bars. In extreme conditions (high speed cornering) the public at large is able to deal with understeer better than they can oversteer. Why??? People tend to freak and deaccelerate or even apply the brakes unlike us "HIP" Maxima drivers. We turn into the direction of the skid and pass Vipers like they were driven by Great-Grandma. Remember the old Porsche's-Rear engine/tranny. Massive oversteer produced by all the weight in the rears. Guys would wrap themselves around trees like it was going out of style. Since then porsche has widened the rear stance and tires to help prevent this from happening. Yes, producing less oversteer!
Lift throttle DURING cornering w/ FWD will cause understeer because of engine braking; but a RWD will oversteer.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax
Lift throttle DURING cornering w/ FWD will cause understeer because of engine braking; but a RWD will oversteer.
Are you sure my man? Check this...

The bane of the high-performance FWD car--understeer--is nearly eliminated. When the throttle is lifted mid-corner, the car crisply lets its tail out, helping the car rotate while conserving momentum. The tail-out attitude is easily controllable with the throttle pedal or a bit of counter steer. The amount of rotation, however, is pretty aggressive and may be too aggressive for the timid driver. We may experiment with stiffening the front springs and softening the rear to make the car more neutral. Such fine tuneablity is easy with the Ground Control ERS spring system.

Despite our ultra-high spring rate selection, our ride on the street is acceptable, although we do admit it's a bit edgy for a daily driver.

Now that the car handles, its lack of horsepower is painfully apparent. Our next installment will focus on improving the lackluster performance of our humble 2.0-liter SOHC engine. We can hardly wait to finish the first round of bolt-on engine mods so we can enter some local autocrosses.

With luck, we'll be half as successful under the hood as we have been with the suspension.

Sources
KONI North America
(859) 586-4100
www.koni-na.com
Adjustable Gas Shocks

Ground Control Inc.
(530) 677-8600
www.ground-control.com
Coil-over Spring Kit, Camber/Caster Plates

Edelbrock
(310) 781-2222
www.edelbrock.com
Rear Strut Tower Brace

Energy Suspension
(949) 361-3935
www.energysuspension.com
Suspension Bushings and Engine Mounts

Eibach
(949) 752-6700
www.eibach.com
Anti-roll Bars and ERS Springs

Chikara
(562) 921-0404
www.chikaraperformance.com
Front Strut Tower Brace

Read this...
http://members.tripod.com/~team-wreckless/rwvsfw.htm

Now read this...
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/susp-15.htm
Old 03-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Newbie just Registered

In a 6th gen, yes. In an Integra (or a Civic/Sentra) w/ full suspension upgrade is different.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:25 PM

so wait, what is the best thing to do through a turn?
Old 03-02-2007, 09:41 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by aryathegreat
so wait, what is the best thing to do through a turn?
if you're stock FWD and you feel at the limit...
going past the limit will feel like you can't turn it: UNDERSTEER...
you have to let off the gas some to regain control.

If you tightened the rear...
past the limit you may feel the rear slide out: OVERSTEER...
stay on the gas and turn toward the slide to maintain control.

(that is emergency situation only of course )
Old 03-02-2007, 09:50 PM
*moderator*

One of the best handling mods I have, done RSB!!
Old 03-03-2007, 08:51 AM

But on a daily driver in 99.99% of situations, the upgraded rear sway bar will limit the amount of body lean in normal cornering and help eliminate the wallowing at highway speed during lane changes and taking curves. Correct?? B/c thats what I'm looking for.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
But on a daily driver in 99.99% of situations, the upgraded rear sway bar will limit the amount of body lean in normal cornering and help eliminate the wallowing at highway speed during lane changes and taking curves. Correct?? B/c thats what I'm looking for.
Yes it will. It's the best bang for the buck handling mod.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Newbie just Registered

Are you sure my man?
So I got my car to oversteer today, on purpose. I was wrong. It wasn't a wipe out, just a little oversteer. I was in 2nd doing about 45 on a 30 MPH descending on ramp and let off half way thru(no one else was around that's why I decided to do this). The rear stepped out a little and corrected itself, the went neutrual the rest of the 270 degree onramp. Progress springs/RSB combo.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:09 PM

After a few mods, the behavior of the MAX does change. You have to recheck your handling/cornering after the RSB, springs, etc. I personally like a bit of understeer (front slides out). Keeps my heart rate high.

Here are some notes I have to adjust slippage:

To increase understeer (front slippage)/decrease oversteer
Stiffen front springs
Stiffen front dampers
Stiffen front sway bar
Increase front tire pressure
Increase front toe-in

To decrease understeer (front slippage)/increase oversteer
Soften front spring/dampers
Stiffen rear spring/dampers
Stiffen rear sway bar
Decrease front tire pressure or
Increase rear tire pressure
Add rear toe-in
Old 03-04-2007, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax
So I got my car to oversteer today, on purpose. I was wrong. It wasn't a wipe out, just a little oversteer. I was in 2nd doing about 45 on a 30 MPH descending on ramp and let off half way thru(no one else was around that's why I decided to do this). The rear stepped out a little and corrected itself, the went neutrual the rest of the 270 degree onramp. Progress springs/RSB combo.
Thanks for the road test bud. Good stuff!
Old 03-04-2007, 03:14 PM

Some pictures of this RSB installed????
Old 03-04-2007, 03:47 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

[QUOTE=madmik]After a few mods, the behavior of the MAX does change. You have to recheck your handling/cornering after the RSB, springs, etc. /QUOTE]

And ONE. Even after changing tires you have to "re-learn" your limits. RS-A vs. BF-Goodrich here.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:30 PM

The T/A KDW are pretty good so far, even on cold pavement. Just installed ceramic pads all around. Braking is now breathtaking. Almost no ABS action, just pure stopping power. This much cornering traction should not be legal... Eibach a tad soft now.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:51 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Not to mention the compliments we get on the sick lookin' tread design
Old 03-04-2007, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
Not to mention the compliments we get on the sick lookin' tread design
Plus 1, have had BFG KDW2 on my ride for almost 2 years now and love them, my new shoes will have them on as well...
Old 03-04-2007, 07:42 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by chernmax
Plus 1, have had BFG KDW2 on my ride for almost 2 years now and love them, my new shoes will have them on as well...
on point like hard nipples