6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

AUtomatic windows

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 12:40 PM

AUtomatic windows

hey guys,

the ones who have automatic up/down windows on all 4 [i hvae the elite pkg, dunno if its on the other packages] my driver side goes up but then comes down like 3 inches, but all the other windows go up just fine. any ideas?
Old 03-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The only thing that I can think of is the safety feature kicking in... If memory serves me right, I read about it in the manual and it states that the window will sense an object in it's path and reverse direction. I haven't tried it yet so I'm not sure if the feature is to drop the window all the way back down or just back off the position that it recieved resistance. If true then it sounds logical. The sensing module (or how ever they have it rigged) could be faulty. Let us know what happens.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:07 PM

Ditto, it sounds like the anti-pinch. If your under warranty I'd get it checked out. Does it do it under manual control as well or only auto?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:21 PM

Nietzsche mentioned trying it in 'manual'. In case you haven't used the manual mode on your auto window, it is done by pushing the switch very slightly toward the 'up' (or down) position.

If this also results in the window kicking back a few inches, then we can be fairly assured the problem is not in the 'auto' process. That would leave, as several here have mentioned, the safety kickback feature as the probable culprit.

Have you installed window vent shades inside the window grooves? Can you see anything (such as folded. crossed, misaligned parts) in the groove into which the closed window must slide that might impede it from closing completely? Does the window seem to be sliding freely on the way up?

Obviously the safety sensor has to turn off just before the window is completely closed, otherwise it would always kick back when it meets the bottom of the groove when closing. It may be that the sensor is out of adjustment, and I don't know whether these can be adjusted by service folks, or must be replaced.

Let us know how this turns out.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:13 PM

I only have auto windows on the front doors. The driver's side window will do this 3 inch kick-down on occasion. I just assumed it was the safety feature not working quite correctly. When this happens (not all the time) I'm always able to get the window to fully closed by closing it slowly (as light calls it the "manual mode"). I'm way past warranty on anything but the drive train -- which this is not. But using manual I've always been able to get it closed. But this would be a b_i_t_c_h in a driving rain storm.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:58 PM

yeah, in manual mode, it works fine, up and down. i talked to nissan and they said there is a button that resets the window motor. i am inclined to try that, now just ot figure out how to tget that panel off. i have nothing installed extra. car is completely stock.

slivermax04, mine sounds exactly like yours. i hit 3 yrs about 2 months ago, :-/
Old 03-08-2007, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
I only have auto windows on the front doors. ...... But this would be a b_i_t_c_h in a driving rain storm.
Carry a roll of 3" clear box tape but don't pull the paint.

Or read the Factory Service Manual GW-89:

remove door panel...

"Resetting ... perform the following procedure to reset the limit switch.
1. Raise the glass to the top position.
2. While pressing and holding the reset switch (located at bottom of window motor-see manual for picture), lower the glass to the bottom position.
3. Release the reset switch. Verify that the reset switch returns to
the original position, and then raises the glass to the top position."
Old 03-08-2007, 06:15 PM

thank you madmik, this is what i am looking for!!

now, how to remove the door panel?
Old 03-09-2007, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by eK9aT10pSi
thank you madmik, this is what i am looking for!!

now, how to remove the door panel?
1. Remove screw cover and remove screw under door lock/handle
2. Remove window controls plate and disconnect harnesses.
3. Remove trim molding from armrest (delicately).
4. Remove 2 screws attaching door finisher to inner door.
5. Remove door finisher by pulling edges.
6. Disconnect harness and remove step light.
7. Disconnect harness and remove trunk opener and fuel door opener switch assembly.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:20 PM

i have this same exact problem and its VERY annoying. I'm kind of scared to just remove all this stuff though... is it really complicated?
Old 06-27-2008, 03:31 PM

Djrav9 are you under warranty still? If so, just go to the dealership.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by eK9aT10pSi
hey guys,

the ones who have automatic up/down windows on all 4 [i hvae the elite pkg, dunno if its on the other packages] my driver side goes up but then comes down like 3 inches, but all the other windows go up just fine. any ideas?
Mine does the same thing but it's the passenger side. If I don't pull the switch all the way up it will roll up like it's supposed to but if I use the auto it will roll up all the way up, then back down about three inches. I think I will pull the door panel tomorrow and try resetting it.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:57 PM

Hunter11- i would appreciate it if you let me know how it went. I'm really unexperienced with cars and i would hate to mess up a car i just got. I don't really know if I'm under the warranty in this case because the car has over 70K miles.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:33 PM

On a 5gen when there is something in the windows way, it will go up to it and retract all the way down. Thats on a 5gen but it could be different for the 6gen max
Old 06-29-2008, 08:04 PM

wow, my old thread, lol.

to do this was very simple; it took me like 15 min to do. key this is to look for a little black button.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by djrav9
Hunter11- i would appreciate it if you let me know how it went. I'm really unexperienced with cars and i would hate to mess up a car i just got. I don't really know if I'm under the warranty in this case because the car has over 70K miles.
I did this tonight. It was easy, just follow the directions above for getting the door panel off. Just be easy with it. It is meant to come off so you probably won't mess anything up if you take your time and be easy with it. The only thing I did that's not on the list is remove the cables that unlock the door but I don't think that was neccesary. I just did it to remove the door panel completly. The reset button is behind a black piece of round tape. It doesn't look like a button per se but just follow the other directions above to reset it.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 2008 Maxima is doing this on the driver's side and occasionally on the passenger side. Is there anything other than what's posted above that I should be aware of before I attempt the fix?

Thanks for any help,

Eric
Old 07-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

This looks like a pretty good tutorial for removing the door panel.

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/articles.php?article_id=129

Where is the window motor and limit switch?

I'm not seeing it from these photos.