6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

For those without front license plates....

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 06:10 PM

For those without front license plates....

I want to remove mine (I know it's illegal in California, but I've never had one on my Z and I haven't ever had a problem) but I will need something to plug the holes. I pulled off the license plate mount, and the holes made it look uglier than it did with the plate on.

Can I purchase the plugs somewhere?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

First of all, I think it looks uglier WITH the plates on, even though the holes are visible without the plate. I had my bumper filled by a body shop and painted. That's the proper way to do it.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
First of all, I think it looks uglier WITH the plates on, even though the holes are visible without the plate. I had my bumper filled by a body shop and painted. That's the proper way to do it.
Maxima needs showerrrr!
Old 03-14-2007, 06:27 PM

So if it's illegal, how are u guys getting away with it?

I love the no plate in front look....

Does any1 know the rules in MD? pretty sure it's required.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:31 PM

Sorry for the dirt. Its usually cleaner than that. I have paid a few bucks in tickets, but I dont care. Im not putting a FUGLY front plate on my car.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:34 PM

[I MG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/Apxl8r/PICT0011-1.jpg[/IMG]
I totally agree. However, if I do get pulled over and get a fix-it ticket, I want an easy way to re-attach the plate without having to re-drill the holes.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:38 PM

I carry my plate in the trunk, with a couple of bolts. So now if I get pulled over, I can just show the cop the plate, attach it to my lower grill, and then show him this---->
Old 03-14-2007, 08:17 PM

I carry my plate in the trunk, with a couple of bolts. So now if I get pulled over, I can just show the cop the plate, attach it to my lower grill, and then show him this---->
I don't have anywhere to attach it in that case, though. I know that the plugs won't look as good as a properly filled and painted bumper, but it will look better than having a plate, and it will look better than just holes.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:37 PM

Cops really dont care if u have a front plate or not...They say its really a waste of thier time to pull u over for something thats just going to get u a fix it ticket...I've talked to a few of them same goes for tinted windows.

On the other hand if u get pulled over for speeding etc. and your being a di%k to the OFFICER then they will natrually start to write u up for any little ish that they can find
Old 03-14-2007, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by tehaviator
I totally agree. However, if I do get pulled over and get a fix-it ticket, I want an easy way to re-attach the plate without having to re-drill the holes.
My neighbor bought an Acura TSX, and I was looking over the front plate mounts. They are not screwed! It is mounted in a 'clamp like' way. Or as Ritz was explaining, even if you had to drill one, you could find/create brackets that mount from the bottom of the bumper. That way, if you had to drill, it wouldn't be obvious from the front view of the car.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by VQA32SE_L
Cops really dont care if u have a front plate or not...They say its really a waste of thier time to pull u over for something thats just going to get u a fix it ticket...I've talked to a few of them same goes for tinted windows.

On the other hand if u get pulled over for speeding etc. and your being a di%k to the OFFICER then they will natrually start to write u up for any little ish that they can find
I totally agree. However, if they want to pull you over, but don't have probable cause, you've just given it to them by not having a front plate, and/or having your windows tinted.

I'm aware of these risks, as I just got a 20 tint all around and I plan on removing the front plate.

So, no plugs, eh?
Old 03-14-2007, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
My neighbor bought an Acura TSX, and I was looking over the front plate mounts. They are not screwed! It is mounted in a 'clamp like' way. Or as Ritz was explaining, even if you had to drill one, you could find/create brackets that mount from the bottom of the bumper. That way, if you had to drill, it wouldn't be obvious from the front view of the car.
Right, I'm sure there's a way to fab a bracket that drills up from the bottom. Maybe that's what I'll do. I've go to go to a body shop for the front bumper anyway, as I've already kissed a high curb with the side

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:41 PM
Newbie just Registered

I use the plastic snaps and painted same color. It's not permanent so if on rare occasion I get a ticket, I just take them off and put the plate on for inspection and replace them again.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:14 AM
SmokinMaxSE

I took my plate off last week and it looks way better with the grill. If your color is smoke or black then no one will notice.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by SmokinMaxSE
I took my plate off last week and it looks way better with the grill. If your color is smoke or black then no one will notice.
unfortunately, it's white probably makes it more visible than any other color
Old 03-15-2007, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by RHMax
I use the plastic snaps and painted same color. It's not permanent so if on rare occasion I get a ticket, I just take them off and put the plate on for inspection and replace them again.
damn, those are hardly noticeable, where'd you get em?
Old 03-15-2007, 12:20 AM

...your grille is absolutely gorgeous btw
Old 03-15-2007, 02:24 AM
Newbie just Registered

damn, those are hardly noticeable, where'd you get em?
From Autozone, they have several different types. I forgot which I picked, they're about 1/2 inch and kind of flat.

...your grille is absolutely gorgeous btw
Thanks.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:33 AM

You can get prepainted plugs at bumperplugs.com for about $30. They are easy to put in an are allot cheaper that filling them in. I put in a pair on my 07 SE. I attached a pic of my car so you can see how they look.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/100_0212.jpg
Old 03-15-2007, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Omarvelous

http://www.petitiononline.com/mdplate/petition.html

a petition to remove license plate in the front i think its old though i hope the petition went through
Old 03-15-2007, 07:09 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

http://www.bumperplugs.com
Old 03-15-2007, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by jcalabria
I feel stupid now
Old 03-15-2007, 07:59 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

I feel stupid now
I didn't know about them either until my brother (the Audi guy) told me about them after he bïtched me out for still having the blind nuts in my Volvo bumper (came that way - no front plate in NC)
Old 03-15-2007, 09:33 AM
Newbie just Registered

$30? I paid $1 for the snaps and $6 for touch-up paint. Maybe I should market them for $25...
Old 03-15-2007, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by wjeske
You can get prepainted plugs at bumperplugs.com for about $30. They are easy to put in an are allot cheaper that filling them in. I put in a pair on my 07 SE. I attached a pic of my car so you can see how they look.

Looks identical to mine. First time I've seen the chrome wheels though. Nice.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:01 AM

$30? I paid $1 for the snaps and $6 for touch-up paint. Maybe I should market them for $25...
Where'd you get the snaps?
Old 03-15-2007, 10:02 AM

Where'd you get the snaps?
nevermind

I should try reading more often
Old 03-15-2007, 10:20 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

That's why I still have the nuts in my Volvo bumper. I guess if you have a Porsche (that's who bumperplugs.com caters to) it doesn't matter that much.

Didn't realize Autozone had them, too. The Volvo is black so it should be fairly easy to match the paint.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by wjeske

Sorry OT, the plugs may be an inexpensive alternative for 04-06 Maxima SE owners who have the OEM spoiler and are converting to the 07 spoiler. Those who have done the converstion are left with holes that need to be filled. Just a suggestion...
Old 03-15-2007, 10:55 AM
Newbie just Registered

That's why I still have the nuts in my Volvo bumper. I guess if you have a Porsche (that's who bumperplugs.com caters to) it doesn't matter that much.

Didn't realize Autozone had them, too. The Volvo is black so it should be fairly easy to match the paint.
They're just generic plastic snaps, like for door panels and such. They have stayed on thru car washes for the almost 2 years so far.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:13 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

This is why on every new car I buy I write in "vehicle will not be accepted with front license plate bracket or dealer emblem attached/applied to vehicle" on the purchase agreement.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:21 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by Omarvelous

It was illegal in NJ, too, but I always removed it and never had a problem. Put it on for annual inspection only. Maybe I was just lucky.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Newbie just Registered

This is why on every new car I buy I write in "vehicle will not be accepted with front license plate bracket or dealer emblem attached/applied to vehicle" on the purchase agreement.
In CA, you have to sign a waiver if you don't want the front plate bracket installed. Infact, some dealerships installed front plate brackets when they install the dealership logo plates in the back.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:28 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

In CA, you have to sign a waiver if you don't want the front plate bracket installed. Infact, some dealerships installed front plate brackets when they install the dealership logo plates in the back.
No front plate in NC, but a lot of dealers install the front brackets anyway so they can put a dealer advertising plate up front. That's why I specify it in writing, annoy the crap out of the salesman about it, and watch them like a hawk when they prep the car. On the '07 I walked out back as soon as I signed the papers and put a piece of masking tape on the bumper that said "NO PLATE!!!".

Back in '93 on my company car the dealer gave me a hard time... I told him I'd lease him the advertising space for $100/mo - he shut up and left the bracket off.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:59 PM

They're just generic plastic snaps, like for door panels and such. They have stayed on thru car washes for the almost 2 years so far.
I just picked up some of the snaps from kragen, they were only 2 bucks. Only problem I'm running into is that no Nissan dealerships in my area have the touch up paint.

I know that Courtesy has it cheaper, but I'm impatient. I want it, and I want it NOW!!!! :lol

I'm going to San Jose this weekend, I'll see if they have it in stock there.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:08 PM

found a dealer that has two sets of touch-up paint in stock
Old 03-15-2007, 04:58 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

i live in cali and have NEVER had a front licen ticket... BUT i know a few ppl that do..odd that both of them are civic owners.. i think its just a cop being a Dik ... anyway... i have mine off and just have those black bolts in there.. my car is the charcoal color so it blends in well...