6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

fog rewire

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 10:42 PM

fog rewire

ok here's the thing.

this is my goal.

i want to be able to control my fog lights without turning on my headlights.

i have heard splicing the fog lights into my turn singals for power. my question with that is, if i do that...when i use the turn singal will the fog light turn on? sorry maybe really stupid question. does anybody have a detailed visual on how to do that?

when i mean detailed i mean kam detailed...lolxz

even a write up would be greatly appreciated.

thanks everybody.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:51 AM

Yea, +1 that.

Ive got HID's waiting too but I cant seem to find anyone to do them so they work with the stock fog swtich

Everyone says either they get wired to the parking lights where you have the fogs on when your parking lights are on and when you have your head lights on your fogs will remain on.

Or your second option is a remote, as to there is a wireless remote that turns the fog lights on and off (no need for headlights to be on) I can see you are about 30 mins from me, If you find the wiring needed to wire the HID's to the Stock switch please let me know, Im willing to make your time worthwhile on this one.

And if anyone has a solution on how to wire the stock fog switch to HID fogs please let me know, (wiring diagrams ect)
Old 03-18-2007, 09:00 AM
KC's FINEST

I rewired my fogs... Its not hard to do. I chose an aftermarket fog wiring kit from Autozone for $10. I would rather put in a toggle switch than mess up any factory wiring. Just tap into the two wires going directly into the fog bulbs and run power/ground to a switch...

Heres a link.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=510793
Old 03-18-2007, 09:02 AM
KC's FINEST

Originally Posted by I VIK I
Yea, +1 that.

Ive got HID's waiting too but I cant seem to find anyone to do them so they work with the stock fog swtich

Everyone says either they get wired to the parking lights where you have the fogs on when your parking lights are on and when you have your head lights on your fogs will remain on.

Or your second option is a remote, as to there is a wireless remote that turns the fog lights on and off (no need for headlights to be on) I can see you are about 30 mins from me, If you find the wiring needed to wire the HID's to the Stock switch please let me know, Im willing to make your time worthwhile on this one.

And if anyone has a solution on how to wire the stock fog switch to HID fogs please let me know, (wiring diagrams ect)

So your wanting the stock switxh to run different fogs? Im confused... Just swap the bulbs with the HID ballast
Old 03-18-2007, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
So your wanting the stock switxh to run different fogs? Im confused... Just swap the bulbs with the HID ballast
Yea pretty much want to swap my bulbs with HIDS but I also want it to run without the headlights? now how would I do that?
Old 03-18-2007, 09:16 AM
KC's FINEST

Pick up a wiring kit...
Old 03-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Suspension Yoda

On the 5th gen, the fog light rewire taps into the CONSTANT +12v that the parking lights get when they're on, not the actual blinking signal wire. That is the key to having them on without the headlights. They don't blink. If you want to have HID fogs on without your headlights on, then do the fog light rewire, then use the 2 wires that go to the foglights as the current feed for your ballasts.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:07 AM

one thing you must remember with adding HIDs to a system that didn't originally have it(in this case the fog light wiring) is that it is always a better option to use a wiring harness that will take power straight from the battery(it should have fuses and relays for protection). This prevents the stock wiring from getting damaged, since it may not be able to handle the current draw that is required for initial ignition of the salts in the bulb. You can tell whoever makes the harness that you want the fogs to be able to be turned on whether the main headlight is on or not. it will cost a little more but it will be worth it. I am also not sure if the wiring of an aftermarket wiring kit bought at autozone or any other car parts place will be able to handle that current draw.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Suspension Yoda

Good point. Use wiring straight from the battery. For the signal to turn on the HID, you can still use the original fog wire as a switch in conjunction with a relay. This way it still uses your stock fog switch/stalk.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Good point. Use wiring straight from the battery. For the signal to turn on the HID, you can still use the original fog wire as a switch in conjunction with a relay. This way it still uses your stock fog switch/stalk.
All I can say is, If your willing to do this for me, Let me know and we can work out a price through PM
Old 03-18-2007, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
Pick up a wiring kit...
KC which wiring kit will make it possible for me to handle the load of HID, make it work without headlights and also make it possible to use my stock foglight switch?
Old 03-18-2007, 10:39 AM

On the 5th gen, the fog light rewire taps into the CONSTANT +12v that the parking lights get when they're on, not the actual blinking signal wire. That is the key to having them on without the headlights. They don't blink. If you want to have HID fogs on without your headlights on, then do the fog light rewire, then use the 2 wires that go to the foglights as the current feed for your ballasts.
I get the way that your saying but then what happens with that is when your parking lights are on then your fogs are on, therefore you fogs have to be on all the time, you cant just run your low beam headlights. and for the 5th gen its not that bad becuase the fogs are below, but for the 6th gen its all in the same housing so to me when they are both on it looks ugly.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:34 AM
Suspension Yoda

No, it gives it the auxiliary power it needs in order to turn on IF you want. You still have a switch to turn off your fogs when your regular low beams are on. The only limitation, if you even want to call it a limitation, is that your fogs can only be on when parking lights are on. They don't HAVE to be on.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:40 AM
KC's FINEST

Run a seperate switch. Its very easy.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:07 PM

Your saying run a seprate switch but I want to tie it into my stock swtich. Is that possible?
Old 03-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Suspension Yoda

My guess would be yes, but that's only if your rewire is similar to the 5th gen. Is there a writeup for your year?

As far as me doing the work, my work schedule doesn't allow for much free time, and I'm in Jersey. You'll probably have better luck finding someone on the NYC forum. There's plenty of competent people out there.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:40 PM

My guess would be yes, but that's only if your rewire is similar to the 5th gen. Is there a writeup for your year?

As far as me doing the work, my work schedule doesn't allow for much free time, and I'm in Jersey. You'll probably have better luck finding someone on the NYC forum. There's plenty of competent people out there.
Lol been there done that! no one knows much about the 6th fog light wiring and if someone does then im sorry I just havent met you yet, but if you know someone let me know cuz im soo pissed that im going to go to the dealership and let them empty my wallet out so I can just get these over with! but my first priority is someone on here on NYC max
Old 03-18-2007, 02:00 PM
Suspension Yoda

Wait, are you serious? You're going to tell the dealer to install your aftermarket HID's?
Old 03-18-2007, 03:11 PM

well i don't know i wanna ask this guy i know that works at starr to try to do it for me.

and plus i wanted to see if he can install my MMI too...lolxz
Old 03-18-2007, 04:48 PM

Wait, are you serious? You're going to tell the dealer to install your aftermarket HID's?
If no one else can do it? then what should I do with them? Leave them in a box?
Old 03-18-2007, 06:04 PM
SmokinMaxSE

If your talking about running a switch then look below. I didn't do the fogs but know how to wire a 12volt kit. Below you will find where you can ground the negative wire and where you can drill thru the firewall. The 12volt kit can be found at any auto store, you might need to purchase a seperate switch. Find the postive and negative wires from each fog light and cut a length close to the light. Best way is to strip and solder the wires together. Heat the wires first and then let the solder melt around the wires. Only enough to cover or join the wires, don't let it form a big glob. Also, connect your wires straight, don't let them join at an angle or bent.

Above shows were I grounded the wires.

Above shows the "white" positve wire connected to the battery terminal.

Above. I placed a wire loom over the wires going into the fire wall.

Above shows the wires passing thru under the drivers side near the hood release lever.
Make sure to use electrical tape cover all exposed bare wire.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Suspension Yoda

I'm pretty sure someone on the NYC forum (forums.nycmaximas.org) can help you, it's a HUGE community.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:01 AM
Not for rookies!!

I have mine wired with a remote relay which includes two remotes. Right now I have one mounted in the car (beside the vdc button) and the other is in the glove box as a backup. Going the remote route eliminates the need to run wires into the car.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:39 AM
SuPeRmOd

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=510793