6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Interesting BBK

Old 03-23-2007, 07:24 PM

Interesting BBK

So I am thinking of getting the 2-piece rotors that irish has and pairing that up with 4POT Wilwood calipers. As for the rear... there is supposedly nothing available for the 6th gen Max, UNTIL I got an e-mail from fastbrakes.com today stating that their rear 2POT 350Z Wilwood would fit on the Max, but with rotors from an Altima SE-R...

Does anyone know if the SE-R rear rotors will even fit on our car?

seems like a "ghetto" kit, but hey, I just mainly want stopping power up front ( ) and then have some nice matching calipers in the rear.

Right now, this is just my "fantasy" BBK, due to the big bucks it will take to buy all of the items-$590 for the front 4POT calipers, about $600 for the 2-piece rotors sold by a member here...IIRC, guesstimate of about $150 for SE-R rotors, and finally I'd assume about another $500 for the rear calipers, totaling for about $1,840 give or take a $100
Old 03-23-2007, 08:32 PM

thats a whole lotta money, why do you need so much stoping power? to me it doesnt seem worth it, but looking at all the other stuff you have Im guessing you want to go all out. As far as the SER thing, I couldnt tell you but just here to say goodluck and if it works out for you then post some pics and save some money for college. lol
Old 03-23-2007, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by I VIK I
thats a whole lotta money, why do you need so much stoping power? to me it doesnt seem worth it, but looking at all the other stuff you have Im guessing you want to go all out. As far as the SER thing, I couldnt tell you but just here to say goodluck and if it works out for you then post some pics and save some money for college. lol
Already in college and have a scholarship for 2 years! I'm the school's mascot!
Old 03-24-2007, 12:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dan I thought you did your homework, SE-R brakes are identical to Maxima brakes. There are some interesting combinations I have a suspicion will fit the rear, when I swap wheels I'll be taking lots of pics and measurements. There's alot out there if you know the specs.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:05 AM

If you are all about stopping power in the front, why dont you just get the wilwoods then
Old 03-24-2007, 07:28 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
So I am thinking of getting the 2-piece rotors that irish has and pairing that up with 4POT Wilwood calipers. As for the rear... there is supposedly nothing available for the 6th gen Max, UNTIL I got an e-mail from fastbrakes.com today stating that their rear 2POT 350Z Wilwood would fit on the Max, but with rotors from an Altima SE-R...

Does anyone know if the SE-R rear rotors will even fit on our car?

seems like a "ghetto" kit, but hey, I just mainly want stopping power up front ( ) and then have some nice matching calipers in the rear.

Right now, this is just my "fantasy" BBK, due to the big bucks it will take to buy all of the items-$590 for the front 4POT calipers, about $600 for the 2-piece rotors sold by a member here...IIRC, guesstimate of about $150 for SE-R rotors, and finally I'd assume about another $500 for the rear calipers, totaling for about $1,840 give or take a $100

Before you invest in a big brake kit for a street ride, think about the actual use, unless you're an autocross or track racer, the big brake kit offers no advantages for street rides other than Bling. You want the key to great stopping power for a street car, this is what you need:

Sticky Tires
High Performance Brake Pads
Upgrade your brake lines (less hose expansion, more power to the caliper)...

More Info...

Old 03-24-2007, 01:23 PM

Leave the rears alone, it's a waste of money unless you're auto xing. The front brakes are responsible for something like 80% of the stopping power due to weight transfer and proportioning that you can't control! Take the $$ you save from not doing the rears and invest in some better tires or suspension components that will actually make a difference.

Just my .02
Old 03-24-2007, 02:37 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by 03blk6mt
Leave the rears alone, it's a waste of money unless you're auto xing. The front brakes are responsible for something like 80% of the stopping power due to weight transfer and proportioning that you can't control! Take the $$ you save from not doing the rears and invest in some better tires or suspension components that will actually make a difference.
Just my .02
Uhmm.......... rears will balance out a car niceley. If u get the only the fronts ur good, but when u get all 4 corners. Your great

Kamski
Old 03-24-2007, 03:19 PM

chern-I already have all of those you listed!

03blkmt-I already have good tires and suspension is as good as it gets, besides coil-overs...

kamski-
Old 03-24-2007, 06:20 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Chern,

All the myth scanned paper is saying is that in addition to a BBK you should have stickier tires to really take advantage of the kit. If you have OEM tires and we all know how these perform (you gotta be nuts to still have those on), the kit will not stop your car any quicker, but if paired with the right rubber it offers amazing advantages.

Every time I drive my brother's car (6POT wilwood BBK) with Michelin rubber I am amazed, sorry, shocked as to how inadequate my brake system is. His freaken' brakes make your eyeballs pop out of socket and hit the glass (thank god for my glasses, hehe)
Old 03-24-2007, 08:50 PM
.org extraordinaire

WILWOOD FRONT BBK Stock Rotors $590
WILWOOD REAR - BBK Stock Rotors $400

$990 and you have awesome stopping power. Upgrade your rotors later bro.

Kamski
Old 03-24-2007, 09:37 PM

chern-I already have all of those you listed!

03blkmt-I already have good tires and suspension is as good as it gets, besides coil-overs...

kamski-
So you're good to go...
Old 03-24-2007, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
Chern,

All the myth scanned paper is saying is that in addition to a BBK you should have stickier tires to really take advantage of the kit. If you have OEM tires and we all know how these perform (you gotta be nuts to still have those on), the kit will not stop your car any quicker, but if paired with the right rubber it offers amazing advantages.

Every time I drive my brother's car (6POT wilwood BBK) with Michelin rubber I am amazed, sorry, shocked as to how inadequate my brake system is. His freaken' brakes make your eyeballs pop out of socket and hit the glass (thank god for my glasses, hehe)
Sorry to take this off topic...

HOLY **** DUDE, no way... you guys are brothers? You guys always park your cars on my block (Bay 23rd St.).... lol. I love your brothers rims and the Wilwood bbk up front... looks great. Your car looks very nice too, lovin ur new rims. I do alot of custom headlight work, so if you guys want anything done... let me know.

Back on topic.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:46 PM

Chern,

Actually NO, that's not what the article says, they list what is needed for better braking, not that sticky tires, pads, brake lines help BBK's. The recommendations for better braking are based on someone WITHOUT a BB Kit...
Old 03-24-2007, 10:01 PM

any decent breakes, factory included can stop the rotor from turning, its all up to the car/tires after that. so haveing a huge BBK that pumps out lots of pressure is just overkill. just cuz you have a kit that will stop the rotor with more force doesnt mean a 3500 pound car will stop right then and there.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:13 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by X-Vert

HOLY **** DUDE, no way... you guys are brothers? You guys always park your cars on my block (Bay 23rd St.).... lol. I love your brothers rims and the Wilwood bbk up front... looks great. Your car looks very nice too, lovin ur new rims. I do alot of custom headlight work, so if you guys want anything done... let me know.

Back on topic.
Friggin world is small..... I think I ate at Golden Chop Sticks restaurant near there long time ago.

I have the 4 Pot Wilwood BBK with the 13.6 inch rotors MMMMM GOOOD.

Kamski
Old 03-24-2007, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
WILWOOD FRONT BBK Stock Rotors $590
WILWOOD REAR - BBK Stock Rotors $400

$990 and you have awesome stopping power. Upgrade your rotors later bro.

Kamski
no shiet....really? link me to the rears please!
Old 03-24-2007, 10:39 PM
.org extraordinaire

Wilwood Dynalite Single

yeah cause if he said you need SE-R rears then ur golden, cause those are the same rotors we have.

All you need is the calipers (wilwood 2 pot) and the adapter brackets.

I seen thease calipers

http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-...-DLS/index.asp

for roughly $60 on ebay.

Thats the exact spec we need for our cars.

However there is an upgrade option

Get a set of 350z/G35 rear rotors and you now can get the wider version of that caliper and you also get rear vented disc brakes

Happy TAAAAIME

Kamski
Old 03-24-2007, 10:47 PM

where would I be able to get the brackets for those calipers? are the 350z/g35 rotors larger than our rear rotors? if so then wouldn't that make brake bias come into play?
Old 03-24-2007, 10:53 PM
.org extraordinaire

where would I be able to get the brackets for those calipers? are the 350z/g35 rotors larger than our rear rotors? if so then wouldn't that make brake bias come into play?
Brian at fastbrakes.com

The rear rotor difference is minimal, xcept the 350z has thicker rotors, they are vented, as opposed to ours which are single blade.

Bias would hardly be affected by the rotor size its self. Only the the bore of the caliper piston its self will change that.

I'm done with the Academy next week, so i get to toy with my car again

This will be the next project. A proper rear kit

Kamski
Old 03-24-2007, 10:57 PM

nice nice, but what would brian say to me just getting the brackets but no calipers from him.....lol

so both front and rear would require new brackets and pads, what about brake lines?
Old 03-24-2007, 11:05 PM
.org extraordinaire

nice nice, but what would brian say to me just getting the brackets but no calipers from him.....lol

so both front and rear would require new brackets and pads, what about brake lines?
Dunno, but his price are pretty decent still. You need all 4 new brake lines which come with brians kits.

All willwood calipers have NPT fittings.... yeah tardness but thats life. They are designed that way for rapid removal, however that never seems to be the case unless your racing your siht on the track.

So if you go that way you will have 3 pairs of brake lines to sell.

If you get both kits and use stock rotors you will get

2 x Wilwood SL4 front calipers
2 X Fastbrake Wilwood SS Front Lines
2 X Aluminium Caliper Brackets Front
2 X Caliper Bolts

2 x Wilwood DLsingle rear calipers
2 X Fastbrake Wilwood SS Rear Lines
2 X Aluminium Caliper Brackets Rear
2 X Caliper Bolts

1 x evil fukcin grin when u slam on the brakes and your girlfriends tist smack the windshield

Kamski
Old 03-25-2007, 05:58 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by X-Vert

Back on topic.
You better believe it, yes we are brothers and no we are not parking on your block, we are parking on ours.... hahahhaa

Stop by, say hi next time.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:10 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski

1 x evil fukcin grin when u slam on the brakes and your girlfriends tist smack the windshield

Kamski
hehe, yep it comes with the kit
Old 03-25-2007, 06:14 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by chernmax
Actually NO, that's not what the article says, they list what is needed for better braking, not that sticky tires, pads, brake lines help BBK's. The recommendations for better braking are based on someone WITHOUT a BB Kit...
well not precisely...per se
Old 03-25-2007, 06:46 AM

well not precisely...per se
Sorry but I read it as more of a pro's and con's article on BBK...
Old 03-25-2007, 10:57 AM

where can you buy the SS lines?
Old 03-25-2007, 02:55 PM

alright kam, keep me/us updated on the rear upgrades you do! and wouldn't the new calipers also come with new pads...?