6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

SSautochrome headers on a 6th gen??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 06:14 PM

SSautochrome headers on a 6th gen??

http://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/1433

will the ones that fit a 3.5 altima fit my 6th gen?
Old 04-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Newbie just Registered

Need bigger pic, but the main problem is with the rear header. You could get a muffler shop to fix it if you can get a good price and don't want to wait for Cattman.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes, they will fit.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:30 PM

i want to wait for cattman but my safc is just sittin here gathering dust. i want to tune it as soon as headers are on. To me all car parts are the same anyway. you pay for the brand, unless its just really crappy. Like intakes for ex. injen, nismo, frankencar, its all basically the same thing mayb plus or minus 1 hp or so.... big deal.

So my question now is........Anyone have experience with this brand? hows the quality?
Old 04-04-2007, 05:53 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Well, that was the case with the Hotshot headers for the Altima 3.5. It was discovered that the Hotshots fit the Max also.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:23 PM

Lots of Altimas have them and say for the money it's hard to beat. That being said you get what you pay for. If you want to cheap out then why didn't you just buy a Kia?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:25 PM

I think its better to wait for Cattman since 1. Its going to be a quality product, and 2. its going to be made specifically for the Maxima.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:34 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Look-at-my-MAX
i want to wait for cattman but my safc is just sittin here gathering dust.
Put it(SAFC) on anyway, the gains will be seen. Here's an example. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=492958

i want to tune it as soon as headers are on.
Tune it again when they're on

To me all car parts are the same anyway
. In the Maxima world, things are different.

you pay for the brand, unless its just really crappy. Like intakes for ex. injen, nismo, frankencar, its all basically the same thing mayb plus or minus 1 hp or so.... big deal.
Intakes are intakes. An intake synergistically used with the right components can be a very viable mod.

So my question now is........Anyone have experience with this brand? hows the quality?
No one has in the 6th gen realm, and if they have, it hasn't been posted here before

But in other gens, yes. Venture out of this forum and see general quality reviews.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
Lots of Altimas have them and say for the money it's hard to beat. That being said you get what you pay for. If you want to cheap out then why didn't you just buy a Kia?

I understand what your saying but the you get what you pay for part. Arent all headers basically the same? like all intakes are basically the same for example nismo intake, stillen intake, injen intake. They all basically do the same thing and whats the real advantage over the other? 1whp 2 whp? I mean how much different would obx or ssautochrome be over cattman? plz explain.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:39 PM

No one has in the 6th gen realm, and if they have, it hasn't been posted here before

But in other gens, yes. Venture out of this forum and see general quality reviews.
actually some one here has the obx headers. Or was he from nycmaximas? his sn is A.K.A. I pmed him once and he responded once but rarely goes online.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:32 PM

nycmax member vipervadim:

I am very impressed with the OBX, they officially put themselves back on the map with their new redesigned Maxima headers. for the price and the end-result, this is the ideal header system for a 'budget minded' maxima enthusiast. I think the SSAuto/XS Power have met their downfall, because the OBX are in a similar price range offering a better designed system similar to (cattman and hotshot). I still have yet to find out how well they fit or how well they perform.
SOURCE:
http://forums.nycmaximas.org/showthr...headers+thread

though its not for the 6th gen, it still shows that obx is improving.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:53 PM

I mean how much different would obx or ssautochrome be over cattman? plz explain.
Good question. Here is why headers ARE different from each other. The intakes are not connected to the engine directly, but, rather to the intake manifold, which in turn is attached to the engine head. Therefore, there are greater gains by an improvement to the manifold. Same principle applies to headers. A catback usually wont have as much of an effect as an exhaust manifold change to a header because the exhaust gas dumps directly into the header/manifold.

The other factor that affects header performance is the design of the runners. Equal length runners are more effective than non-equal length runners. Runner diameter and collector diameter are also important considerations. The actual length of headers also affects the area in the rpm range. To wit, a longer length means the power occurs in the lower end of the rpm spectrum, and vice versa.

Some minor differences in quality such as weld quality, smoothness of bends, and coatings also affects performance to a minor degree.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:55 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

remember guys that hot shot went out, so they sold everything.

if you ask me those headers look exacly like the hotshots. I know cause I have them in my house.

if you look at the 3.5 altima ones and compare them to chermax cardomain page or so, they look alike.

they won't have a name on them since hot shot is out, they didn't bother with it cause they can't warranty anyways. I would get them.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:58 PM

I would wait for Cattman header
Old 04-04-2007, 05:57 PM

dues thx for the info, and i think i will go with the ssautochrome headers....if they suck ill just get the cattman when they come out. I will get these installed, safc tune my car and dyno it. Lets see what happens.....
Old 04-04-2007, 06:30 PM

dude, those are the hot shot headers, they sold them for cheap thats why they are cheap. look at their design, nobody else has that.

get them "lookatmymax" save hundreds, I bought mines just like this off ebay, the quality is just the same for 288 ship.

if you wait for the cattman you will pay above 600.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:04 PM

Over on the TurboBuick board there are several threads with a very long life on ebay headers. SSautochrome and a few others make them. Lots of pics comparing them and showing pros and cons. Typically they do improve performance but there seems to a few common issues for all of them. Quality control is inconsistant. Some people believe the flanges are not ss. Others say the ss is of lower quality than US made headers. Some of the hardware is low quality. Sometimes fit is good, some had to reweld flanges so they would line up. The big plus is the price. IF I was to do headers I would wait for Cattman's. Like with Turbo Buick specific vendors, he is much more aware of his customers and knows that he has to bring it to the table or be skewered on the boards. Better materials, better fitment and better support is what your paying for. If you can can get the Hot Shot headers then that's good but beware of the knockoffs. They are very good at copying others but quality is suspect.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:18 PM

^^thx for the input. And tek your right. Well its 200 bucks so i really cant lose. Ill go with it and will update you guys on quality and stuff. Im ordering them tomorrow. wow they dont take phone orders???
Old 04-04-2007, 07:51 PM

do these fit the 07's? and when will the cattman ones come out and when they do does anyone know if they will fit the 07 maximas
Old 04-05-2007, 08:12 AM

look at my max: good luck, you will find yourself 400 dollars richer.

the thing people don't get is when hot shot went out, don't anyone find it weird that their design is everywhere. the hot shots hit ebay and they are called e-bay headers, they hit ssautochrome and they are ssautochrome headers.

just cause that certain seller is selling them it don't mean they actually made them.

I also bought the same design as hot shot headers from ebay, same design that ssautochrome is selling for 288 shipped, and the quality is 100 percent, no BS welds. these were the last of hot shots stock thst they sold before going out.

if ya'll insist on waiting and paying 3 times as much, go right ahead. people like look at my max and I will enjoy 20hp at rock bottom price.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:03 AM

lmao shhhh lets not spread the word till i receive these =D thx tek
Old 04-05-2007, 12:55 PM
dot dot dot ...

From far they look identical to HS.

The reason some of us frowned upon SSautochrome is because of the, IMO, poor design of the 4th gen (A32) headers. No equal length, poor collector design etc. Almost like chrome plated stock manifolds, and an unequal y-pipe, which, even the stock y-pipe is equal length. It seems as if they designed them in order to accommodate any other y-pipe. Bad idea there.

But from those tiny pics for the Altima, they look promising for you fellas. And the price is insanely cheap. The need to advertise the 04+ Maxima, and they'll have business floating in from everywhere.

I'm wondering why those pics aren't 'clickable' to show a larger, more detailed version? If anything, I'd make the 4th gen (A32) pics, 'non clickable' since they are poorly designed.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:07 PM

It said Nissan altima 2003 still work for us??? Or it have to be 04 and up???
Old 04-05-2007, 04:04 PM

02 plus is the 3.5l so im sure itll work for us too.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:56 PM

Not positive, but doesn't it have to do with the EGR system.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:22 PM

EGR is 05+.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
EGR is 05+.
oThe only headers i see on that website is Nissan 3.5 2003 $195
Old 04-05-2007, 05:44 PM
STFU n00b!

remember guys that hot shot went out, so they sold everything.

if you ask me those headers look exacly like the hotshots. I know cause I have them in my house.

if you look at the 3.5 altima ones and compare them to chermax cardomain page or so, they look alike.

they won't have a name on them since hot shot is out, they didn't bother with it cause they can't warranty anyways. I would get them.

Hot Shot didn't "go out". they closed their doors and quit BECAUSE of companies like SSAutoCrap and OBX. It's companies like those two that sell cheap Made in China **** at half the price and drive the people actually doing the work out of business.
Case in point, most of OBX's designs are direct ripoffs of HotShot and other reputable brands. (The OBX header for a B14 fit perfectly in Hotshot's jig for their 4th Gen header if that tells you anything).

They buy one and copy it, removing 95% of the quality and engineering put into the products, then sell it for beans undercutting the original designer.

If you people want companies to actually make stuff for our cars, I highly suggest you STOP buying from places like SSAutocrap and OBX so the other reputable places like Cattman, Hotshot, Frankencar, myself, et al.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:46 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I'm wondering why those pics aren't 'clickable' to show a larger, more detailed version? If anything, I'd make the 4th gen (A32) pics, 'non clickable' since they are poorly designed.

See my post above. the quality on them is usually absolute crap, so they hide it with tiny pictures. cheapskates are going to buy them anyway, just because they say they'll fit.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:50 PM

If the designs are truely a direct port then why don't companies like hotshot sue. Since hotshot has gone out of business I have seen two designs identical to theirs but only after they went out of business.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:08 PM

back when i was in the honda days, ssautochorme started doing "eequal' length turbo manifold which one of their main flaws were that that welds were ****ty and the manifold would crack and fall apart. it seems thats why they wanted another alias, xspower, or something like that and make ****tty t04b turbos at insanely cheap prices but the housing fell apart or had bad shaft play in a matter of days.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:34 PM

well its too late.... i will take pics as soon as i get them in the mail. Its 200 bucks.... whats there to lose?
Old 04-05-2007, 06:43 PM

Good point!
Old 04-05-2007, 09:14 PM
dot dot dot ...

Exhaust fitment is very important. Clanks here, rattles here, broken welds her .. Wrong fit headers are not worth the headache.

Hopefully you will see some nice gains.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:29 AM

How hard is the install for this? From what I've seen / read on other cars it sounds like it takes 12 hours to install. Pictures or a how-to would be great

I'm an amateur at best. I've done the Fajita install as my only mod so far. I just want to know what I'm getting myself into if I make the purchase...
Old 04-06-2007, 06:21 AM
dot dot dot ...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=514794
Old 04-06-2007, 08:15 AM

the members planing on buying a header set and have a CAI only for a mod, you will have to buy a SAFC or some kind of fuel managment. this car comes running alittle on the lean side for low end, the CAI doesn't help that. so if you put the headers on it will set off the engine light cause the car will be too lean.

you can't just bolt things up to the motor and expect power, you are throwing off the A/F, and will need to add fuel to it so it runs how it should.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:23 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

the members planing on buying a header set and have a CAI only for a mod, you will have to buy a SAFC or some kind of fuel managment. this car comes running alittle on the lean side for low end, the CAI doesn't help that. so if you put the headers on it will set off the engine light cause the car will be too lean.

you can't just bolt things up to the motor and expect power, you are throwing off the A/F, and will need to add fuel to it so it runs how it should.
Thank goodness someone is saying what I continue to recommend!!!
Old 04-06-2007, 09:00 AM
dot dot dot ...

this car comes running alittle on the lean side for low end
Low RPM, my car is set @ 14.7, regardless of pedal position. So what do you mean by 'low end'? Do you guys know what your AFR is in said RPM?
Old 04-06-2007, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
The actual length of headers also affects the area in the rpm range. To wit, a longer length means the power occurs in the lower end of the rpm spectrum, and vice versa.
It's actually the opposite. Just wanted to clarify.

Quick Reply: SSautochrome headers on a 6th gen??