6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2007 Max.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 11:25 AM

2007 Max.

How are the 07's holding up quailty wise? any rediculous problems like they had with the 04's? Im considering leasing one in a few months so I just wanted to know how they where doing...what is your overall impression of the 6.5 gen?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:36 AM

I like it.

Only 2700 miles into it now, though.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:37 AM

Had 1 recall, but other then that no problems here.

17000 miles later...
Old 04-04-2007, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Omarvelous
17000 miles later...
holly crap, already?! lol
Old 04-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I like it better than my 06 max. And no problem after 12000 miles
Old 04-04-2007, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
holly crap, already?! lol

I hit 16k about 3 months ago.....
Old 04-04-2007, 07:23 PM

Bought mine in November and I love it.

8000 miles
Old 04-04-2007, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by wjeske
Bought mine in November and I love it.

8000 miles

lol bought mine in october and i have 11000
Old 04-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Got mine on Dec 30-06
Only 5200 kms on it....no problems...love it so far...great highway car...went 200 km/hr today....rock solid....NICE
Old 04-07-2007, 05:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Compared to my 06 SE, I'm disappointed....

My new 07 SE:
Gas mileage is worse
Bose radio sounds worse
Sat radio only displays one line of info
Front end looks like an Altima and cheap
Tire pressure system is a pain
Bluetooth system still very basic and no display
Gas pedal has weird clicking, mechanical feel when flooring it

it's not all bad:
Leather front seats are nicer
New Keyless entry system is nice
Torque steering is less, still there though

btw, the 06 SE black on black, 19k, with factory Sirius and driver preferred is still for sale in NJ. Looking for $23,500. Let me know if interested
Old 04-07-2007, 06:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Front end...to me...looks better than the previous years...
Mechanical click in the throttle is the wide open switch..."throttle-by-wire"...I can't comment on the mileage...this is my first maxima
Old 04-07-2007, 08:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

No complaints here. 6k and purrrin like a kitten. Had a minor blip with the TPMS last week but dealer reset and has been fine since.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

No complaints here. Just under 7000, and haven't had any issues. First Maxima and I love it.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My mother has an 07 sl with about 12,000 miles on it and no major problems so far with the exception of the driver seat needing to be replaced due to the lumbar breaking. About a few weeks ago if you had asked would it be a great buy I would have said wait until the next generation which was strongly rumored to be coming out as a 2008. I went to the NY Auto Show yesterday to confirm this and none of the reps said they have seen anything (which could be bs), but if a 2008 was in the works wouldn't it have been at the show being that June time is usually the debut month for new Maximas. I guess we'll wait and see.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:42 PM

MrTrace - No, the next gen Maxima will not arrive as the '08 model year.

The mid-gen revamp Nissan gave the '07 (new front, new interior, etc) would never have been done for only one model year. Nissan has done this 'refreshing' in the middle of every Maxima generation for over twenty-five years. Every time, the refreshed version has stayed around at least two or three more model years.

I stand by my oft-repeated prediction of over a year ago that the 7th gen Maxima will arrive in spring of 2008 as the '09 model year Maxima. One doesn't have to be a 'soothsayer' to see this; simply look back through all the Maxima generations and assume Nissan will not change their generation pattern in any radical way.

The only thing they ARE gradually changing is moving the Maxima up to a luxury car with a sporting edge. This change was barely discernably with the 5th gen, fairly clear with the 6th gen, and will be very obvious with the 7th gen. This will disappoint many, but I would bet the upscale Maxima will still be one heck of an automobile.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill

The mid-gen revamp Nissan gave the '07 (new front, new interior, etc) would never have been done for only one model year. Nissan has done this 'refreshing' in the middle of every Maxima generation for over twenty-five years. Every time, the refreshed version has stayed around at least two or three more model years.

I stand by my oft-repeated prediction of over a year ago that the 7th gen Maxima will arrive in spring of 2008 as the '09 model year Maxima. One doesn't have to be a 'soothsayer' to see this; simply look back through all the Maxima generations and assume Nissan will not change their generation pattern in any radical way.

The only thing they ARE gradually changing is moving the Maxima up to a luxury car with a sporting edge. This change was barely discernably with the 5th gen, fairly clear with the 6th gen, and will be very obvious with the 7th gen. This will disappoint many, but I would bet the upscale Maxima will still be one heck of an automobile.
ahh...ninja edit I see, I was about to correct you
Old 04-09-2007, 10:44 PM

tehaviator - You are very observant and very quick. I corrected my error within one minute, yet you had already spotted it and were ready to take me to task.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dutchboy
Compared to my 06 SE, I'm disappointed....

My new 07 SE:
Gas mileage is worse
Bose radio sounds worse
Sat radio only displays one line of info
Front end looks like an Altima and cheap
Tire pressure system is a pain
Bluetooth system still very basic and no display
Gas pedal has weird clicking, mechanical feel when flooring it
Just a bit of a rebuttal:

My new 07 SE:
Gas mileage is about the same as the '02 and '00 Maxima I had
Bose radio sounds much better than the '02 and '00 Maxima I had
CD-Text displays two lines of information (detailed on other thread)
Front end looks better than the "buck-tooth" '04-'06
Tire pressure system works well. When pressure is low, it lights up!
Bluetooth system is an unknown to me since my car doesn't have it - besides, I hate making or taking phone calls in the car!
Gas pedal works as I would expect - I'm not the kind of driver who floors it!

I've had only a few minor problems with the '07, and feel it's a great car.

As I mentioned, though the tire pressure system feels a bit like a nanny at times, I'd rather it tell me if the pressure is dropping so I can take care of it right away. It's only come on once since I've owned the car, and gone out immediately upon restoring the pressure to 35 pounds.

I had an annoying vibration/buzz that at first we (the dealer and I) thought was in the dash somewhere. It turned out to be the overhead sunglass bin that was vibrating when the car was pulling up a hill at about 20 mph. It's been replaced and is fine now.

I've had three bouts of the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light coming on. All three times, I've been told that it was the gas cap allowing a small leak. That's been the most annoying thing about the car so far, and it's really noting much at all.

On the positive side, I love the look of the '07. The front grill really does look much nicer to me than the '04-'06. I remember seeing the early pictures of the '04 and thinking it was some kind of gross mistake. That's not to diss anyone here who likes that look - and over the years of seeing it on the road, it's not as hideous as it once looked to me, but I like the '07 update to the front grill. I also like the return of the foglights down to where God intended them. The interior of the '07 seems a lot nicer than the '04-'06. Though I didn't own one of those, I did have to borrow one from the dealer one day while they were checking over my car early on. I found the passenger warning light up by the windshield annoying in its reflection. The '07 moved that sensibly to under the climate control panel. And I though the stereo system in that '06 had a tinner sound to it, as if the vehicle itself were more metallic and cavernous. The '07 sound is much more warm with it's ability to adjust the midrange.

The CVT has been smooth as silk, making driving a pleasure rather than a chore. I do a lot of stop and start driving and couldn't ever stand a manual transmission, so this CVT is right up my alley. I understand that a lot of you guys liked the manuals, and am sorry that Maxima has abandoned you, but I guess that's their prerogative.

All-in-all, with just over 9000, I'm still a very happy camper.

Harry
Old 04-10-2007, 09:12 PM

A little over 9K miles and no problems here. I'm still only getting about 16 mpg city/hwy mix. Some folks say that should increase once I get more mileage so I'm just waiting. To Nissan's defense, I am pretty heavy on the gas so I'm sure that's contributing to low gas mileage. My 99 got 18-20 with the same type of driving in the same city/hwy mix.

Other than the mileage, I'm very happy with it. The one thing I thought I wouldn't like, VDC, is actually one of the nicest parts of the car. I'm a driver and didn't want the car trying to drive for me (throttle change, abs, etc.). But after driving hard in turns, it handles much better than I would expect from a non-lowered car on 55 series all-season tires. Not as tight as my 99 with suspension mods, but the computer compensates and makes the handling pretty close.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:19 PM

Now that HGN2001 has expounded on the looks of the front of the '07, I would say I agree with him that the '07 front looks fine.

I really like the fogs down where they belong, shining their light down where the reflection off the fog won't blind the driver. Foglights at headlight level are almost worthless when driving in the fog.

I like the '04-'06 buck tooth chrome front a lot for the SL, as it is more in keeping with the SL's image. But I never thought the '04-'06 front fit the SE's image. The '07 front practically screams 'SE'; subtle, understated, but hinting of power. For the SE, I feel the '07 redesigned front is perfect.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:34 PM

tehaviator - You are very observant and very quick. I corrected my error within one minute, yet you had already spotted it and were ready to take me to task.
Haha, I noticed the mistake, but apparently you fixed it before I hit "quote" because the quoted text in my reply box had already been fixed.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ui

lightonthehill, thank you for reply. I had strongly suspected that a 2009 model would be in the works. However, in the last few weeks after having visited a few Nissan dealerships I was told by a few dealers that Nissan was hinting a change for a 2008 model though none of them had specific details. It seemed rather bogus as the 2007 model was just changed and didn't make any sense that Nissan would invest in a car for 1 model year. I had the idea that I would go the NY auto show and if i saw something brand new on the showroom it would be the 2008 maxima but when I didn't it confirmed my exact thoughts that 2009 would be the year. Quite frankly I would love for the Maxima to move upmarket as an entry-level luxury car as it really needs to separate itself from the 07 Altima and after having sat in an Avalon before the 07 Maxima at the auto show I can only hope they increase the rear leg room as well.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by HGN2001
Just a bit of a rebuttal:

My new 07 SE:
Gas mileage is about the same as the '02 and '00 Maxima I had
Bose radio sounds much better than the '02 and '00 Maxima I had
CD-Text displays two lines of information (detailed on other thread)
Front end looks better than the "buck-tooth" '04-'06
Tire pressure system works well. When pressure is low, it lights up!
Bluetooth system is an unknown to me since my car doesn't have it - besides, I hate making or taking phone calls in the car!
Gas pedal works as I would expect - I'm not the kind of driver who floors it!

I've had only a few minor problems with the '07, and feel it's a great car.

As I mentioned, though the tire pressure system feels a bit like a nanny at times, I'd rather it tell me if the pressure is dropping so I can take care of it right away. It's only come on once since I've owned the car, and gone out immediately upon restoring the pressure to 35 pounds.

I had an annoying vibration/buzz that at first we (the dealer and I) thought was in the dash somewhere. It turned out to be the overhead sunglass bin that was vibrating when the car was pulling up a hill at about 20 mph. It's been replaced and is fine now.

I've had three bouts of the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light coming on. All three times, I've been told that it was the gas cap allowing a small leak. That's been the most annoying thing about the car so far, and it's really noting much at all.

On the positive side, I love the look of the '07. The front grill really does look much nicer to me than the '04-'06. I remember seeing the early pictures of the '04 and thinking it was some kind of gross mistake. That's not to diss anyone here who likes that look - and over the years of seeing it on the road, it's not as hideous as it once looked to me, but I like the '07 update to the front grill. I also like the return of the foglights down to where God intended them. The interior of the '07 seems a lot nicer than the '04-'06. Though I didn't own one of those, I did have to borrow one from the dealer one day while they were checking over my car early on. I found the passenger warning light up by the windshield annoying in its reflection. The '07 moved that sensibly to under the climate control panel. And I though the stereo system in that '06 had a tinner sound to it, as if the vehicle itself were more metallic and cavernous. The '07 sound is much more warm with it's ability to adjust the midrange.

The CVT has been smooth as silk, making driving a pleasure rather than a chore. I do a lot of stop and start driving and couldn't ever stand a manual transmission, so this CVT is right up my alley. I understand that a lot of you guys liked the manuals, and am sorry that Maxima has abandoned you, but I guess that's their prerogative.

All-in-all, with just over 9000, I'm still a very happy camper.

Harry
Harry, I like what you've said here. I also liek the look of your max. I have yet to see the blue in person.

Oh, and by the way...the intelligent key is standard on the '07
Old 04-11-2007, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by tehaviator
Harry, I like what you've said here. I also liek the look of your max. I have yet to see the blue in person.

Oh, and by the way...the intelligent key is standard on the '07
Yeah, but what a fabulous feature!

Harry
Old 04-11-2007, 09:07 AM

I've only had my 07 for three months and am very satisfied with it. I have owned 4 other max's and traded in an 04 for the 07. Much nicer car as far as creature comfort is concerned. Getting 23 mpg average as of today and this may be due to a trip to Orlando recently. Car is smooth and responsive. If the new Max is a lux as you all believe I may not get the M35 I have my eye on when the lease is up in 3 years. My dealer did say that major changes are planned for the nex gen.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:11 PM

Now that HGN2001 has expounded on the looks of the front of the '07, I would say I agree with him that the '07 front looks fine.

I really like the fogs down where they belong, shining their light down where the reflection off the fog won't blind the driver. Foglights at headlight level are almost worthless when driving in the fog.

I like the '04-'06 buck tooth chrome front a lot for the SL, as it is more in keeping with the SL's image. But I never thought the '04-'06 front fit the SE's image. The '07 front practically screams 'SE'; subtle, understated, but hinting of power. For the SE, I feel the '07 redesigned front is perfect.
As I went to lunch today, I saw that an '04-'06 Max was parked directly facing mine. I noticed the reflection of my '07 Max's front end mirroring in the "buck tooth", so I snapped the picture with my cell phone camera.

Call it "Reflection Of The Future":

Harry
Old 04-12-2007, 03:32 AM

Had mine three months, and I'm appproaching 5K miles. I also have the majestic blue and really like the "depth" of the paint. This is my sixth Maxima over the past twenty years.

Mileage is finally starting to improve. I have been doing all highway driving since I got the '07. Initially was getting approx 20mpg (driving 65 to 75mph) but on my most recent tank got almost 27mpg.

I really like the redesigned front and rear. Glad to be rid of the tooth. I love the bluetooth that allows hands-free calling (handheld cell phones need to be banned imho). Interior is better (goodbye to that fuzzy material in my '07). Seats are more form fitting (no I haven't put on weight!). Stereo about the same. No issues with the tire pressure guages. I really like the upgrade in the nav system. Dimming and dipping (in reverse) rear view mirrors are novel, as is the rear sonar.

My wife loves the CVT (see the lipstick commercial).

My only concern is with the keyless entry system. I just wonder what is to stop someone from trying to "jack your car" when you are stopped at a light, etc. I don't know if I'm just being paranoid but if you are in the vehicle with the remote in your pocket, what is to stop someone from pushing the entry button from the outside to unlock the doors and gain access to you and the car?

Overall, as has been the case for the last twenty years, I love my Max!
Old 04-12-2007, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by jc53
My only concern is with the keyless entry system. I just wonder what is to stop someone from trying to "jack your car" when you are stopped at a light, etc. I don't know if I'm just being paranoid but if you are in the vehicle with the remote in your pocket, what is to stop someone from pushing the entry button from the outside to unlock the doors and gain access to you and the car?
To ease your fears, try this sometime: Have the motor running and the doors locked while you're sitting inside with the keyfob in your pocket. Now, open the window on the drivers side, reach out, and try pressing the door lock/unlock button on the outside door. As an alternate, have someone ELSE try to open your car that way while you're inside. I think you'll find that it won't work.

The design of the system is such that it's sensitive to the position of the keyfob within the interior/exterior of the car, working only when it's supposed to. The worst that can happen is that a carjacker could attack while you're outside in close proximity to you. But the carjacker has to attack at the lock by which you're standing. I can be right up to the door of my car and my wife can't press the lock button on the passenger side to open her door. Only the door (or trunk) near the keyfob works. And none of the outside buttons work when you're inside the car with the fob.

Originally Posted by jc53
Overall, as has been the case for the last twenty years, I love my Max!
21 years for me!

Harry
Old 04-12-2007, 12:01 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

To ease your fears, try this sometime: Have the motor running and the doors locked while you're sitting inside with the keyfob in your pocket. Now, open the window on the drivers side, reach out, and try pressing the door lock/unlock button on the outside door. As an alternate, have someone ELSE try to open your car that way while you're inside. I think you'll find that it won't work.

The design of the system is such that it's sensitive to the position of the keyfob within the interior/exterior of the car, working only when it's supposed to. The worst that can happen is that a carjacker could attack while you're outside in close proximity to you. But the carjacker has to attack at the lock by which you're standing. I can be right up to the door of my car and my wife can't press the lock button on the passenger side to open her door. Only the door (or trunk) near the keyfob works. And none of the outside buttons work when you're inside the car with the fob.

21 years for me!

Harry
Agree... will not open from outside with fob inside. And if you're outside, the jacker could just as easily ****** a regular key, so I see no safety security issues with the system. "Intelligent" is a pretty good name for it.

BTW - 6 Maxes/21 years for me... maybe we should start an old-timers club, lol.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:03 PM

Thanks Harry, I'll try that. Also to you Jcalabria (you responded while I was returning Harry's post).

Regarding the old timers club, we should definitely start one. Or a Hall of Fame for multiple Max owners. Let's see, you and I have had six, HGN2001 must have had a few over the past twenty years, and I'm sure that Light qualifies one way or the other!

Throw in the 2 Pathfinders, 2 240Z's, and the 350Z that my wife has driven, and I think my next one should be complementary from our boys at Nissan!
Old 04-12-2007, 12:56 PM

Amen to jc53 from one who has had 4 max's and 2 Z's over 20 years. They probably should give us a dealership. We could probably make the service bay work.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:11 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by mdfergus
We could probably make the service bay work.
Not if we had to depend on Nissan Corp for support!
Old 04-12-2007, 01:25 PM

I've had:

'86 Maxima GXE (light blue - the talking car!)
'89 Maxima GXE (light green, heads-up display, indash factory Sony CD Player)
'00 Maxima SE (dark maroon, Bose single CD player)
'02 Maxima SE (Tungsten Blue, Bose 6-CD player)
'07 Maxima SE (Majestic Blue, Bose 6-CD player)

All were automatic and had the sunroof option.

The wife has had:

'87 Maxima SE (dark red, five-speed manual)
'93 Maxima GXE (Pebble Beige, automatic)
'02 Maxima SE (Sterling Mist, 6-speed manual)
'07 Maxima SE (Pebble Beach, automatic)

All of hers had the sunroof option, her current '07 has the DPP.

Along the way, there have been at least one old Datsun 510, a Datsun B-210, one Sentra, one Pulsar, and three different basic Nissan trucks, all in my wife's arsenal.

I guess you could say we're pretty loyal Nissan customers!

At one point last year, when we both got our '07s within a month of each other, we owned more '07 Maximas than another nearby dealership had on their lot!

Harry
Old 04-12-2007, 04:52 PM

Harry...you and the wife are the "*****"...I'm going to make it a mission for us "ol' timers" to plan a rendezvous!
Old 04-12-2007, 04:55 PM

p.s. Harry! Awesome car...I'll post pics of mine asap! Majestic Blue SL with spoiler! Love the redesign of the '07!
Old 04-14-2007, 05:18 AM

21 years for me!

Harry
Yeah, Nissan did a good job with the keyfob technology. My wife even left her purse (with the spare keyfob) in the rear driver's side seat and the door won't open. You pretty much need to be at the door, or the trunk, for it to open.

Steve
Old 04-14-2007, 04:25 PM

thanks for easing my concern.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2007 MAX a few problems

Hello All,I'm a new here.
I traded in my 02 Altima 2.5 SL for my 07 MAX SE w/ drivers preferred package. I took excellent care of the Altima. It looked as if it were just driven off the lot with less than average interior wear, a couple door dings from freindly parking lot users and an engine you could eat off of. With 123,000 miles, and running like new, they gave a 5k trade in.

I bought my 07 MAX as soon as they hit the lot. I just turned 30,000 miles this week, 90% highway miles. This is the 1st MAX I have owned and I love the car however I have had a few problems. I took the car back at 26,000 miles for pulsating and vibration . The dealer said they didnt see any problems but I insisted the rotors were warped so they turned them and installed new pads under warranty. The car was way smoother but still had a vibration most noticable at 65 + MPH and very noticable at 90 MPH. I took it back again at 27k and complained again. I had the 30k service done at that time and they said they found a bad bearing on the front wheel and replaced it. Vibration still there and I complaied again. The dealer says they will try to isolate the problem with no garrantees because they can't test drive at high speeds. They say it could be the tires but it seems to roll smooth since they did the brakes and rotated and balanced the tires. OEM tires are GY Eagles @ $350.00 each and not under warranty. Feels like its in the engine maybe, don't know. Other than that the car has been great. I do have some issues with general setup though such as;

I should have gone for the navigation therefore being its without, there are no options for setting up the options such as door lock when shift engaged or when car moves forward, lights on when wipers are on, button to retract side mirrors should be on door handle, no audible seat belt alarm, computer gas warning system comes on and says "you have "0" miles to empty" (damn, wheres the nearest gas station). Seems these would all be standard selections in a "MAXIMA". My Altima had these option settings and was smooth as glass at 90 MPH. I'm not a complainer. Just expected a little more from this car.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:27 PM

Extreme 1 - When the 6th gen Maxima says you have zero miles to empty, you normally have four or five gallons left. Unless you are putting 20 gallons in when you gas up.

Because the fuel pump is in the gas tank, and depends on being surrounded by gas in order to prevent overheating, it is not good to run the tank too low. But you could in an emergency.

Just don't actually run out of gas. That brings in possible problems with your engine setup and catylitic converter.

As to the vibration, I have read here over the last four years that only an expert using the Hunter 9700 machine could properly set up the tire/wheel system on some 6th gen Maximas where there would be no vibration at any speed.

I think you chose wisely. I really like a lot of things with the '07 Maxima.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:24 AM

Extreme 1...

Lights on when wipers on?

I'll have to play with my navi...didn't know I had this feature.

Quick Reply: 2007 Max.