6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Coating on instrument cluster wearing off

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007 | 05:21 AM
Banned

Coating on instrument cluster wearing off

Just a warning, don't use windex or rub too hard on those little plastic circles! Either the windex I used last time was especially potent or something...but now I have horrible looking swirly marks all over the speedo, and the other two have a few marks on them. At first I thought the marks could be wiped off, but to my horror its actually the clear plastic underneath that stupid coating.

Worst part is I did it, but its strange bc ive always used windex with no problem at all, now all the sudden I runied it

I guess I have nothing to lose by contunuing to remove the coating so atleast it dosent look like complete crap...I know ebay has instrument clusters, anyone know if this is a big deal to fix? I wish I could just get new covers but that would be way too simple im sure.
Old 04-09-2007 | 05:26 AM

I hear you! My homelink button for my garage door is flaking also. I've already had it replaced under warranty and it is doing it again!

Did you use a different type of windex? Maybe one with a stronger form of ammonia? Maybe one for 'all purpose' cleaners? Maybe it is a bit more aggressive than the ones you've used in the past?

Thank you for the 'heads up'!
Old 04-09-2007 | 06:26 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I only wipe it with microfiber cloth, maybe the paper you've used was harsh. Paper towels will scratch you glasses, plastics, screens. Afterall, paper is made from wood.
Old 04-09-2007 | 07:07 AM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
I only wipe it with microfiber cloth, maybe the paper you've used was harsh. Paper towels will scratch you glasses, plastics, screens. Afterall, paper is made from wood.
I'll try microfiber next time.

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Just a warning, don't use windex or rub too hard on those little plastic circles! Either the windex I used last time was especially potent or something...but now I have horrible looking swirly marks all over the speedo, and the other two have a few marks on them. At first I thought the marks could be wiped off, but to my horror its actually the clear plastic underneath that stupid coating.
I'm afraid to wipe on anything in the car. last year I went and used meguires leather cleaner and it stripped the leather in some spots leaving brown/grey spots. The steering wheel was the worst and I stopped as soon as I saw the first spot.
Old 04-09-2007 | 07:16 AM
Banned

Yeah I have a small section on the wheel rubbing off...not a big deal bc its almost indetectable. But let me tell ya, the damage has been done to the plastic and Im just going to rub off the rest of the coating over the speedometer...i have no choice. Really sucks when you have no one to blame but yourself
Old 04-09-2007 | 07:19 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Really sucks when you have no one to blame but yourself
I hear ya.
Old 04-09-2007 | 09:02 AM
Banned

F*ck it, im gonna go get that 335i
Old 04-09-2007 | 10:18 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

F*ck it, im gonna go get that 335i
I was at the NYC authshow past Saturday and was drooling over the G37 the 335 and S5 from Audi. Beefy machines. When I am ready, I'll pass the max to my gf/wife and spring for one of these. If the G37 coupe comes as loaded as the one at the show it will be one sick machine.
Old 04-09-2007 | 10:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've had small micro-scratches in plastic displays for years till...I started using microfiber cloths and Plexus cleaner/polish. I highly recomend the Plexus. Its expensive for a can but it lasts for years and years.

CM
Old 04-09-2007 | 10:49 AM
Banned

Does anybody know if the front of this cluster pops off so you can replace the covers? If it did Id consider it, but i dont think id spring for a whole new cluster (or used, then you might get back another bad one) Id hate to know how much a new dealer installed one is.....
Old 04-09-2007 | 06:50 PM
Banned

Ok disregard last post

Got home and got the bottle I used (a windex knock off) and it said "Degreasing formula with ammonia" So yes, I belive this was the reason, it cut through the coating like it was grease - not good

So I took a terry cloth and rubbed it on the speedo and it sure enough took all the blotches away by stripping off the rest of the coating, it was actually very easy to remove. Now what I have is a crystal clear cover that looks excellent! I left the other two to do later if I feel like it after driving around with it like this, but the differences are actually barely noticeable, you wouldnt know one didnt have the coating unless you were told and examined it.

So to you guys with unsightly scratches on the cluster, I recommend removing the coating...giving up that vague purple tint is worth it to have it scratch free.

I call this the instrument cluster deglazing mod...sticky?
Old 04-09-2007 | 06:53 PM
gec

Yeah black --- i had a guy come for an LED upgrade and his was jacked really really bad to the point he could barely see it. I couldn't stand doing a beautiful mod like that only to not see it because of his poor cluster. I went to HD and bought some thin layered plexi ($5) and davis fabb'ed it in and it looked better than what was there because it was so crystal clear without the antiglare film over it. Hed did the same for the info screen. I am pretty sure I discussed this once in a thread and eevn uploaded pics...I'll have to do a search -- Kenny
Old 04-09-2007 | 07:17 PM
Banned

So you actually replaced the circular pieces with new plexiglass? What im saying is its possible you wouldnt even have to do that because there is perfectly transparent plastic underneath that coating...the scratches many people see is possibly just the coating, rub it away and you have a perfectly clear surface again. Unless the scratches you are talking about went beyond just the coating.
Old 04-09-2007 | 07:18 PM

gec, link please, i am interested in doing this
Old 04-09-2007 | 07:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by eK9aT10pSi
gec, link please, i am interested in doing this
Link is on his signature