6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Xtronic CVT question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 06:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Xtronic CVT question

I am in the throes of making a new vehicle choice to replace my ‘04 SE. Other than the “choppy ride” rattling my 58 year-old bones and the large turning circle, I’ve been perfectly happy with this car.

When comparing features of sedans in this class, I always seem to come back to the Maxima as having the best combination. Great powertrain, decent mileage, roomy, fold-down rear seats, bi-xenons, useable NAV, and heated steering wheel. Try and find all those features in a car in this price range....YOU WON’T. The interior upgrades of the ‘07 and addition of rear park assist make it even more attractive. The new ES350 was high on my list, but no way am I going to risk getting one with a "flaring" transmission.

However, I do NOT like what I’m reading about the CVT on “Maxima.org.” Unless I’m wrong, it appears the CVT is not as fuel efficient as the old 5-AT. Of course, most of the posters on this board are concerned with achieving higher performance in the speed and handling categories, but for me, being able to eek out gas mileage similar to or slightly better than my ‘04 is a higher priority. In my ‘04, general all-around driving has been consistently around 23 mpg depending on the season and mix of highway/city. It is easy to get high 20's doing 65+ in highway driving. Keep it at 55 and low-mid 30's is even possible.

In the ‘07 brochure, Nissan makes a big deal about how the “Xtronic CVT offers three modes - sport, normal, and economy.”

And, I found this blurb on the internet about the new Altima’s CVT: “The V6 CVT has been enhanced with an all-new "Sport" mode controller with a high-speed central processing unit and Adaptive Shift Controller with adaptive logic for faster shifting in both normal and manual modes. The adaptive logic feature delivers the best shift pattern based on the driving environment and driver’s perceived intentions. It utilizes 700 programmed algorithms to adjust to differing conditions, such as uphill or downhill driving, as well as adapting to three styles of driving – economy, normal and sporty.”

My 650 Suzuki Burgman scooter has an ECVT with a switch where you can choose “normal” or “power” shift mode. The latter keeps the engine in the power band and will get you to 60 mph in the high 6/low 7 second range. This scooter also has a “pseudo-shift” mode, BTW.

I assume there is no switch on the ‘07 Max to select “economy, normal and sporty” modes. Here’s my question: is this one of those “learning deals” where the transmission switches between “modes” by tracking your throttle input? If you drive conservatively with a “light foot,” does the transmission automatically pick an algorithm that will achieve better gas mileage? How quickly does the CVT “adapt” to a change in driving style?

Finally, this question has been asked before, but for any early 6th generation owners who now have some miles on their ‘07, how does the gas mileage compare? That is the bottom line after all.

(If it’s not too much trouble, I’d like to hear your thoughts on ride “smoothness” of the ‘07 SL compared to the early 6th generation, too.)
Old 04-23-2007, 07:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The did a little reworking on the suspension to make it more "luxurious" ie smoother. I wouldn't say it's very noticable. As for fuel economy...it's all about how you drive it. Cruising at 60mph the cvt can get great fuel economy because it drops the revs. Same thing under light exceleration, the RPM's stay in the 2500-3000 range then drop to below 2000 for light cruising. If pushed hard the cvt will get the same 17mpg that the 5spd did.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:25 AM

Go to the dealership and test drive the altima and the maxima. See how the CVT works for you.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:55 AM
SuPeRmOd

i test drove one right away and my 1st impression was SMOOTH. if you're concerned about bumps, go with the SL. the fatter tires cushion a lot. The CVT so far seems to produce the same mpg. I think it will improve greatly with future models. I was expecting the rating to go up. But I achieve higher mpg when i want to by keeping the rpm low. I'm sure the CVt will do even better if you desire to drive the economy style. It should learn your style by the 1st or 2nd oil change.

u just have to test it out. hopefully atleast 1 orger with an 07 drives your style to give testimony.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:20 AM

I have had my 07 for three months now and presently I am getting 23.5 mpg. It took about a month to acheive this and I believe it basically "learned" my driving habits. I traded in an 04 and the ride difference is quite noticable. Loved the old one but really like this model. As for the smoothness of ride, no comparison. Very nice.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:23 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Never had a 6.0 to compare it to, but once I got some miles on the '07, the fuel mileage is better than my '03 (VQ35 w/ 4AT). Consistently 22-22.5 where the exact same all city conditions produced 21 in the '03.

Having had nothing but SE's and never finding the ride too harsh, I find my '07 MUCH too soft and underdamped. It's probably appropriate for an SL (which I would have never considered), but a disgrace to the SE heritage to have this suspension in something wearing the SE badge. It is by far my biggest disappointment with the car. If you have different expectations, you might be pleased with it, but I most definitely am not. Only way for you to know if its right for you is to drive one, and more than a quick spin around the block.

Don't get me wrong... overall I like the car very much, but every time I take a corner and the rear end wallows and floats it reminds me of how things have changed. I had been looking forward to the return of full IRS to the Maxima, but the little side step from the beam axles in the prior two generations was less disconcerting.