6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Putting gas in the max

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 01:43 PM
dla
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Putting gas in the max

I was just wondering if anyone else has this issue or annoyance. When I fill up with gas, I can’t have the gas nozzle fully inserted (someone is going to hit that one out of the park)! I have to pull the nozzle part way out and additionally I can only set the nozzle lock switch to about half way. Otherwise the pump automatically clicks off when I’ve only put a few gallons in an empty tank. I’m usually putting in about 15 gallons at a time. What’s annoying is I don’t always know if the tank is actually full (worse is I’m finding myself not trusting the pump handle). A few times I’ve put in 12 gallons and driven off with only ¾ of a tank. That ticks me off since then I can’t get an accurate reading on mpg.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:13 PM

My Murano did the same thing when I got it, the problem kinda went away. Havent heard about this problem in the max, I know theres multiple threads on the murano boards about it though.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:21 PM

It has to do with the pump not the car.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:35 PM

pump gas for the first time in my new max this weekend and no problems
Old 04-23-2007, 02:38 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

It's been a continuing problem in my '07... even pulled out it kicks off very easily. ALWAYS takes 10-15 shots to fill the tank. Tried all kinds of positions for the nozzle. Very annoying. Happens every station, every pump. Definitely something with the car.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:57 PM
KC's FINEST

Shake the car as your filling it. My Murano did it too... Shaking it forces the air out of the lines.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:25 PM

I run across this often also. I beg to differ with Nietzsche, it is the car. It is annoying.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:03 PM

no problem with mine.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:02 PM
SuPeRmOd

have you tried pumping at less than a full squeeze? it may be too fast.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:05 PM

odd, never ran across the problem before. try a dif pump maybe?
Old 04-23-2007, 05:17 PM

i never had a problem before until i was in a hurry and squeezed it fast, i found that if you squeezd the handle quickly it clicks and keeps clicking. Try jus goin gradually and make sure its all the way in, i push mine in and hold it like that.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:44 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Sometimes it clicks off with only the slightest squeeze of the pump handle.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:55 PM
Newbie just Registered

I never a problem with the nozzle. On few occasions that the pump kept clicking off, I just switched pump and no problem. So I think it's more the sensor on the pump itself that's too sensitive or bad, and probably the Max and Murano filler design that enhances the problem.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:28 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by RHMax
I never a problem with the nozzle. On few occasions that the pump kept clicking off, I just switched pump and no problem. So I think it's more the sensor on the pump itself that's too sensitive or bad, and probably the Max and Murano filler design that enhances the problem.
Gotta be SOMETHING with the car, at least mine, if it happens at virtually every pump.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:06 PM

^ Me too man, me too^
Old 04-23-2007, 08:17 PM

It is the safety mechanism of the pump there for it's the pump not the car. It's all in how you insert and pump.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:38 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
It is the safety mechanism of the pump there for it's the pump not the car. It's all in how you insert and pump.
Owned/leased 19 cars over past 29 years... this is the ONLY one with this problem.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:04 PM

agree... it really does nothave anything to do with the car.... as someone else mentioned ... if you do squeeze just a bit... it is ok... also another thing... incase anyof you have noticed.... if someone else on the other side of the same pump is filling ... at the same time... it happens more often. (pls. note --- I do not know the mechanism behind the pumps.... but i seen it happen often)

I have been able to fill my car upto 6- 10 litres (2 gallons??) after I have seen the pump go off (not recommended)....

and yes i have also had the same behaviour in all the other cars I have filled gas in (mazda, honda, chrysler... etc. )
Old 04-23-2007, 10:32 PM

I sometimes have this problem with my 2000 SE, but have never had it happen in the three years I've driven my '04 SL.

Very strange, in that all 6th gens should be exactly alike mechanically in the fuel tank/filler tube/full sensor area, yet posts here indicate different behavior in different 6th gen Maximas.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:19 AM

Because it's the way you utilize the pump that makes the difference.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:41 AM

Used to happen to my wife's Subby Legend. Didn't matter where it got filled up, even by attendants. If you get the nozzle in just the right spot it would fill fine, pushed in to hilt it wouldn't let it pump for more than a few seconds. Her new one doesn't have that issue.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:41 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

.................No issues...
Old 04-24-2007, 07:04 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Never ever happened here...weird
Old 04-24-2007, 07:13 AM
dla

I know about the safety mechanism. That’s what the automatic shut off is.

I filled up my max and my silverado at the same station, the same pump, the same nozzle, the same day (within 20 minutes). On the max no matter what angle I put the nozzle and the depth of the nozzle, I start pulling the trigger slow and it will click off when the trigger gets near half way. It will click off so many times that you don’t know if the tank is actually full or if it’s just another false stop. With the silverado, put the nozzle in, pull the trigger to maximum position and the ONLY time it clicks off is when the tank is FULL. This is the only vehicle that I have owned that does this.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:57 AM
Newbie just Registered

I was thinking about this and it never happened to me at my 2 gas stations that I usually go to, a Costco and Shell. Both of those stations are cheap, so they get pretty high traffic, and the nozzles are replaced regulary. It happened at new places where I need to get gas because I'm running low. So could it be the pressure in the tank that triggers the auto shut off, since I probably had been driving for a while, or just old nozzles w/ questionable sensors?
Old 04-24-2007, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
.................No issues...
Same here
Old 04-24-2007, 09:11 AM

its all in ur head, you think bout it then it happens, you dnt and it wont
Old 04-24-2007, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by mavssolja
its all in ur head, you think bout it then it happens, you dnt and it wont
will this fix work for their shimmy too?
Old 04-24-2007, 11:21 AM

lol it works for alot of things, with enough brain power ive actually seen HP gains
Old 04-24-2007, 01:13 PM

Lay off the drugs Mavssolja, or did you hear this from a Honda owner?
Old 04-24-2007, 04:13 PM

the little engine that could, thought and believed and you know what happend. HE DID!!! lol i dnt know what to say guys, mayb its an issue with the older 6thgens, just lookin thru the list of posts noone with an 06 has or had the problem, me included
Old 04-25-2007, 08:57 PM

I have the same problem with my 07 Max. I have to actually lift the handle up so the nozzle points more down when filling up the tank. Any other way and it continually clicks off.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by mavssolja
lol i dnt know what to say guys, mayb its an issue with the older 6thgens, just lookin thru the list of posts noone with an 06 has or had the problem, me included
So much for that theory huh Mavssolja? It isn't the pump. Too many people are experiencing it, and from multiple pumps.

Oh well, I have learned to work with it.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Very strange, in that all 6th gens should be exactly alike mechanically in the fuel tank/filler tube/full sensor area, yet posts here indicate different behavior in different 6th gen Maximas.
I agree with light. I only have this problem when my 04 SE's tank is almost full. I like to fill the tank to reduce the number of trips to the station. So I click the nozzel a number of times to get the tank "fuller" than it would be if I stopped pumping on the first click-off. But it does not click off when the tank is on 3/4 full (as shown on the gague).

I suspect that there may be a kink in the filler pipe going to the fuel tank -- or something in the tank that is not operating properly. If you are still under warranty, have the dealer check our the line and tank -- compalin about the problem. There is something causing a back pressure that causes the nozzel to click off before it should.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:08 AM
dla

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
I agree with light. I only have this problem when my 04 SE's tank is almost full. I like to fill the tank to reduce the number of trips to the station. So I click the nozzel a number of times to get the tank "fuller" than it would be if I stopped pumping on the first click-off. But it does not click off when the tank is on 3/4 full (as shown on the gague).

I suspect that there may be a kink in the filler pipe going to the fuel tank -- or something in the tank that is not operating properly. If you are still under warranty, have the dealer check our the line and tank -- compalin about the problem. There is something causing a back pressure that causes the nozzel to click off before it should.
Ya still under warranty, next time in I'll have them check it.

One thing on "topping-off" as they call it (clicking the nozzle several times) is that it not good for several reasons. The main reason is stations in some states/areas are equipped with vapor recovery systems which the station pulls a vacuum line on the nozzle to reduce the harmful vapors near the tank (that’s the good part). Now the bad part, the vacuum line can actually pull gas out of your tank (putting it back into the stations barrel) when you top-it-off since the vacuum line will be pulling gas, not vapor! Gas is expensive enough, let alone paying for gas that you don’t drive away with. Check it out:

http://www.epa.gov/donttopoff/
Old 04-26-2007, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by dla
One thing on "topping-off" as they call it (clicking the nozzle several times) is that it not good for several reasons. The main reason is stations in some states/areas are equipped with vapor recovery systems which the station pulls a vacuum line on the nozzle to reduce the harmful vapors near the tank (that’s the good part). Now the bad part, the vacuum line can actually pull gas out of your tank (putting it back into the stations barrel) when you top-it-off since the vacuum line will be pulling gas, not vapor! Gas is expensive enough, let alone paying for gas that you don’t drive away with.
I worked in the petroleum industry for 35 years and know when a station has a vapor recovery system. Many have "elephant trunk" nozzels that are easily visable. All have wider hoses and obvious holes to withdraw the vapor. I have never seen vapor recovery in a station in Colorado. When I see them elsewhere, I do not fill the tank as full as I do when these systems are not present. I go through the St Louis area a few times a year and they are on pumps at stations there.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same thing happens to me from time to time with my '07... and it happens at the same locations each time (I avoid them now) so I think it has something to do with the pump.

I'm in Jersey and can't legally pump my own gas, (which is the most retarded thing ever) when the "pump jockey" runs into this problem, I take the law into my own hands and just pump it myself. I'd rather risk being busted then trying to explain the problem to him... If you don't pull the handle in all the way it will work.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:07 PM
SuPeRmOd

i hoped this thread died
Old 05-09-2007, 03:08 PM

i noticed this in my 04 max a long time ago, only happened a few times and then went away
Old 05-09-2007, 04:31 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Last week I had the first time ever it filled without clicking off till the end. Of course it was the slowest pump I'd ever seen... took over 12 minutes to pump 16 gallons. Talk about excruciating... having to watch the pump count all the way up to $50 that slowly!

Quick Reply: Putting gas in the max