6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

My take on my wifes 2004 Maxima Just bought & some disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:27 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by maximumpower96
As posted earlier, I am extremely happy with my purchase, nevertheless. The whole point of the thread is not to compare maxima with a BMW, but bringing out the weak points as compare to the 5th Gen. As I mentioned earlier for example, I feel and its a fact that the doors on this 6th Gen are far more lighter and Nissan has degraded the sheet metal as used on the 5th Gen one (at least on the doors). Any one care to challenge me on that ?
Add lead weights to your doors, you'll feel better...
Old 05-09-2007, 02:13 PM

Maybe the doors are lighter, don't know for sure- I didn't weigh them, but I know that the engineering is there for side impact resistance. Weight has no bearing on side impact safety. I will take my 04 SL doors with side air bags over my 02 Max SE without side air bags.

Anyway, Welcome to the 6th Gen, I think you will enjoy your ride very much.

OT, With the gas prices today, how does the 740i do in the MPG department compared to the Max?
Old 05-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
Maybe the doors are lighter, don't know for sure- I didn't weigh them, but I know that the engineering is there for side impact resistance. Weight has no bearing on side impact safety. I will take my 04 SL doors with side air bags over my 02 Max SE without side air bags.

Anyway, Welcome to the 6th Gen, I think you will enjoy your ride very much.

OT, With the gas prices today, how does the 740i do in the MPG department compared to the Max?
I do 21 MPG on highway and not so sure in the city as hardly ever do city driving. But I believe it's close to 16 MPG . I am sure to put far more mileage on the maxima as compare to the bimmer.
-Sal
Old 05-09-2007, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Add lead weights to your doors, you'll feel better...

I will consider that !
Old 05-10-2007, 01:05 AM

I do 21 MPG on highway and not so sure in the city as hardly ever do city driving. But I believe it's close to 16 MPG . -Sal
That gas mileage is not very good. Is that the result of "superior German engineering?" I see why you'll put more mileage on your Max -- it gets better gas mileage.

I generally drive my 04 SE at 5 to 8 mph over the posted speed limit when on the Interstate highway. This generally puts me going between 70 and 80 mph -- unless the speed limit is lower for towns, when it can fall to between 60 and 70 mph. My highway gas mileage has varied between 25 mpg and 30 mpg (depending on wind speed and direction) -- but most of the time between 26 and 27 mpg.

Where I live there is rarely heavy traffic (except during rush hour -- when I try to stay off of the city streets), so my city mileage is probably higher than you would get in NYC, Chicago or LA. My city mileage generally varies between 21 and 23 mpg.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:29 AM

The fuel mileage in my '04 SE exactly mirrors SilverMax.

One morning I did absolutely everything to conserve fuel on a 22 mile trip driven regularly on a Sunday - coasting down hills, light pressure on the throttle and going no faster than 55 on a limited access highway.

I cleared the MPG screen at the beginning of the trip. When pulling into the parking lot at the destination, the MPG average showed 35. Unusual circumstances to be sure, but its shows what the '04 Max with the 5 spd. auto is capable of on REGULAR gas.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
That gas mileage is not very good. Is that the result of "superior German engineering?" I see why you'll put more mileage on your Max -- it gets better gas mileage..

Why everyone here has a saracastic tone here? You guys love lashing sarcasim whenever there is a chance. Thats just sad. I get those miles on my 740i because I haven't done the tune up in 18 months. I get those mileage because I have 154K miles on it. And also because its a V8.

Those MPG figures of yours that you see on the computer mean nothing. If 35 MPG was the case, Nissan would put it as an official record. And their engineers would have gotten a nobel prize by now. Which is NOT the case. If you want to figure the exact MPG do what somebody above said how to calculate the exact MPG, once you have filled up your tank again.

-Sal
Old 05-10-2007, 07:31 AM

I dont like the light doors either. I opened mine the other day and the wind caught it and slammed it into the car next to me, left a fat dent on the edge of my door. Probably wouldnt have happened if they werent incredibly lightweight.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:36 AM

Sal,

I apologize for the sarcasm. That does run a little on the rich side here.

Maybe, I'm truely guessing here, some were put off by the BMW/Maxima comparison made.

Regarding gas mileage; I am not off by much when I compare my mileage through the on-dash unit vs filling and calculating manually. I am averaging 31-33mpg when strictly highway driving for distances more than 2 hours.

Regarding Nissan and your Nobel Prize theory; Nissan and other car manufacturers here would rather you be pleasantly surprised than unbelievably annoyed when you mpg falls short/breaks all barriers. People tend to gripe when their mpg isnt at least what sticker said. Last thing Nissan wants is people filling their service bays with complaints of poor gas mileage.

My opinion anyway.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Glude
I opened mine the other day and the wind caught it and slammed it into the car next to me, left a fat dent on the edge of my door.
OT.

What happened to the other guys door, any damage? Did you leave a note? I hate it when my car gets a ding so, when I can, I park wayyyyyyyy at the end of the parking lots where I can be at lower risk of a ding. Plus the long walk to the door of the store, etc. is good exercise!!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:29 AM

OT.

What happened to the other guys door, any damage? Did you leave a note? I hate it when my car gets a ding so, when I can, I park wayyyyyyyy at the end of the parking lots where I can be at lower risk of a ding. Plus the long walk to the door of the store, etc. is good exercise!!

I do the same and my wife literally hates it. But she will never understand.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
Sal,

I apologize for the sarcasm. That does run a little on the rich side here.

Maybe, I'm truely guessing here, some were put off by the BMW/Maxima comparison made.

Regarding gas mileage; I am not off by much when I compare my mileage through the on-dash unit vs filling and calculating manually. I am averaging 31-33mpg when strictly highway driving for distances more than 2 hours.

Regarding Nissan and your Nobel Prize theory; Nissan and other car manufacturers here would rather you be pleasantly surprised than unbelievably annoyed when you mpg falls short/breaks all barriers. People tend to gripe when their mpg isnt at least what sticker said. Last thing Nissan wants is people filling their service bays with complaints of poor gas mileage.

My opinion anyway.

No need to apologize my friend I appreciate it much. You are right I can't argue with you on the short/breaks theory. They do want to play it 'safe'. I really got to see what my Maxima is giving me.
What is the best way of doing it ? Just reset the Individual trip meter ?
Thank you for your input in advance.
-Sal
Old 05-10-2007, 08:32 AM

I dont like the light doors either. I opened mine the other day and the wind caught it and slammed it into the car next to me, left a fat dent on the edge of my door. Probably wouldnt have happened if they werent incredibly lightweight.

Wow, must hurt. Probably the dentless paint people can help you ? I found one locally, came to my place and removed all of them.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:48 AM
Newbie just Registered

I think the size of our doors have more to do with that. They are extra long for a 4 door sedan.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Newbie just Registered

Why everyone here has a saracastic tone here? You guys love lashing sarcasim whenever there is a chance. Thats just sad. ...
Here's why:

Bro, it is my fault I got used to of a 740i over the years. I forgot what a Japanese car felt like. Yes I am wrong here to compare a German car to Japanese, but yes you are right as compare to other japanese car, the maxima is far better of a car. But Still they could have done a bit better.

I will ask you how you will feel driving a Maxima after driving a German car for 2+ years. All this strong words i.e. "Rock Solid" ....."flawlessly" will be more like ' Good Handling' and " performs nicely".

-Sal

No my friend the car is indeed excellent no complaints here. It was my fault to compare it to my 740i. There is no way a Japanese non-luxury can be compared to a German Engineering. I forgot that most of the people on this board are 100% nissan fanatics. You completely missed out my point about the drawbacks in the car. Anyway's I am happy with my purchase, the only reason I did go with a Maxima is because no other make comes even near to what a Maxima has to offer. There is NO subsititute PERIOD !

...Anyhow, I would rather fight my argument with someone who had FIRST hand experience ( and not for a day or two ) with a German car. They might then understand what I am saying...
Anyways, let's move on.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:52 AM

Correct, including the superior tone that was taken about the BMW. It should be superior given the substantially higher price for this vehicle. But I don't think that a beemer is 3 or even 4 times better than a Max -- not even twice as good. IMHO it is -- at the top -- about 1.25 times better.

Regarding gas mileage; I am not off by much when I compare my mileage through the on-dash unit vs filling and calculating manually.
This has been my experience, too. In fact over time (when averaging the results from the computer with the manual calculations) they are essentially the same.

I personally tend to believe each individual computer result more than the same individual calculation. (I only reset when I fill the tank). Why ? Because it is very difficult to fill the gas tank in my Max to the exact same level each time I fill it up. So the results from each manual calculation are off by the difference in tank level fill-up to fill-up.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:05 AM

OT.

Nope, didnt have to leave a note. It was my friends jeep, hes one those people who really doesnt give a **** about his car so he just laughed and said, "I dont care".
Old 05-10-2007, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by RHMax
I think the size of our doors have more to do with that. They are extra long for a 4 door sedan.
I dont think so, I had BARELY cracked it and the wind literely jerked it into the other car. Not saying it wouldnt happen with a heavier door but ours are serious light as hell.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Newbie just Registered

I dont think so, I had BARELY cracked it and the wind literely jerked it into the other car. Not saying it wouldnt happen with a heavier door but ours are serious light as hell.
You got me to go and check my doors between my cars, and the Max's doors don't feel that all that light. I'm curious if it's one of the things Nissan fixed for the 05's. Anyone has access to an '04 and a later one?
Old 05-10-2007, 02:50 PM

You do need them when you are hit from sideways.

I was T-boned by a Honda CRV(ran a red light) in the cross section of Missouri Ave. and Georgia Ave. in Washington, DC. Only damage sustained was to my back door. The door held up pretty well, only had to replace the door panel. D*mn near $1100 though!!!
Old 05-10-2007, 06:11 PM

Rather interesting thread, seems somewhat misleading, I don't compare weight of a door with ease of opening, I know the 740 is the last Generation style before Bangle got hold of it but all the new BMW have the same problems, thinner sheet metal, and lighter all around.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax
Here's why:

Anyways, let's move on.

I can start digging out your posts, and you have far more posts than me. But as you said 'lets move on'.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:36 PM
Newbie just Registered

I can start digging out your posts, and you have far more posts than me. But as you said 'lets move on'.
You seem not to be able to. You ask a question, and I answered. But if it will make you feel better, please do. Any more issues, please feel free to PM me!
Old 05-11-2007, 12:26 AM

The strength, positioning and design of the reinforcement bars inside the door are the determining factor in the protection one has in a side collision. The weight of the door hardly enters into the equation.

A way in which door weight might have an influence is if the vehicle is on its side in a ditch or lake, etc, the doors on one side are against the ground/under water, and the only exit is to lift the door on the other side.

Example: Several years ago, a Suburban driven by a driver on a cell phone ran a red light and hit my wife's Ranger right at the gas filler door and turned us over. We were in the middle of an intersection of a four lane highway, on our right side. My wife and I unbuckled, falling against the right door, landing in a pile of broken glass. We tried mightly to lift the driver's door, but it was too heavy. Had the truck caught fire, we would have died within a minute or so.

So the argument can go either way. I think I personally favor the lighter doors, since I always open and close my wife's door in addition to mine, and the lighter doors require less effort.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:31 AM

Thought here;
If weight/strength were a ratio to take seriously, what would that say about carbon fiber composite?

Sal,

Rh is a fellow that knows his stuff. He's owned/owns both vehicles being compared here. He's not one that talks out of his fanny. He responded to someone's request that a fellow BMW owner pipe in, not just the opinion of someone that's driven for a few miles.

When he gives his $100g opinion, he's flamed. That's not called for. If it's doubt your looking to cast, you've looked in the wrong direction.

Swee
Old 05-11-2007, 11:55 AM

Nope, didnt have to leave a note. It was my friends jeep, hes one those people who really doesnt give a **** about his car so he just laughed and said, "I dont care".
Nice, my luck would be that I dinged a MB S600 and the guy would be a 350 pound D-Lineman for the Raiders and standing right there watching the whole thing!!
Old 05-11-2007, 12:17 PM

Now that sounds more like real life for me as well. ^^^^
Old 05-11-2007, 07:42 PM

You want heavy frigging doors try a 79 Trans Am. Yikes. Personally I don't mind the doors being lighter weight/easier to close. All cars have to have a minium crash safety bars in the doors. Ya maybe if you get t-boned by an Excursion your dead. Don't think you'ld fare much better in a BMW.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just purchased a 2004 maxima sl, charcoal grey, fully loaded w/nav with 57k miles for $18K for my wife as well. I am very happy with the car, for that price range you cannot find anything that has all the features that my maxima has.

The only disappointment I have is the cars turning radius. I feel like I am driving a truck when I have to take a U-turn.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:29 PM

Man i think you paid a lot for that o4 with 57000 mls on it, because i paid 18k for my 05 sl with 17,700mls back in feb this year i don't have navi and traction control so i think i did very good
Old 05-12-2007, 07:46 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by Teufelhunden
word, 03 was the last year that was made in japan. after that all maximas were made here. hence the poor quality. my 03 is def solid. nothing cheap here.
Yeah but before 04 came out I looked at maximas and was like

No offense to any early owners but I just couldn't look at them before.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:57 PM

Thats funny, when I 1st saw the 6th Gen I was like WTH did they do to it but it grew on my and now I have an 06
Old 05-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

IMO....there really isn't another automobile that offers the features, effortless power and the style the Maxima can offer @ the price. The interior (especially the 2007) is beautiful and unique. The exterior is very distinctive and unlike the usual japanese cars. Sorry about your buyer's remorse.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:37 PM

Got an excellent deal. Black on Black fully loaded with XM 2004 for $17K with 54K miles on it. I think it was a killer deal considering the car was dealer maintained throughout and still has 100K Power train warranty. Brand new tires and brand new brakes and rotors. No accidents what so ever.

Though I drove 4th Gen Maxima's all my life till 2004. I bought a 2001 740i ( yea a big jump ) but I worked hard for it too. To be quiet honest, either I am used to of the pulsh luxury of German cars, or I expected a tad too much out of a Maxima. I will sum up my disappointments as follows :

* Doors are too light feel like Paper thin.
* Overall feel of the car is too clumsy ( Doesn't feel like a solid car )
* Ride is too rough.
* Trasmission is not so smooth. 1st gear at times changes too quick giving the car a jerk.
* Struts make noise, which we all know is a production problem.

Even the 5th gen feels far better built of a car. Feels more solid. Doors are Def. more heavier than the 6th Gen ones.

I know it is not fair to compare a car like 740i and Maxima but still even as compared to a 5th Gen maxima, I think the quality is degrading over the years, at least in regards to the sheet metal they are using.
Most previous Maxima owners don't even think the current Gen is a Maxima. They also moved production from Japan to America to build it. If you read reviews, it has fared poorly in them all.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:58 PM

Yeah including reliability according to CR?!?!?!

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2007, 09:44 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Most previous Maxima owners don't even think the current Gen is a Maxima. They also moved production from Japan to America to build it. If you read reviews, it has fared poorly in them all.
It's a Maxima according to Nissan. The only thing Nissan carried over from 5.5 gen is the motor. I've read some reviews, and nothing about being poor. There were some issues initially, but they were fixed.

Thanks for your input.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:45 AM

'Most previous owners don't consider the 6th gen to be a Maxima'

I have owned nothing but Maximas for over 23 years, and I consider the 6th gen Maxima to be a Maxima.

---------------

'all Maximas were made here, hence the poor quality'

Once my dealer made a few warranty repairs right at first, I have had three perfect years with absolutely no problems with my '04 SL. Consumer Reports and I both say you can't do that in a German-made vehicle. It surely has been a pleasure owning and driving this car.

---------------

'if you read reviews, it has fared poorly in them all'

Absolute hogwash. I read every review I could get my hands on before buying my '04, and the worst ones were 'middle of the road'. Most were more positive than negative. I think the 'proof of the pudding' is contained in the latest issue of Consumer Reports:

The latest issue (of Consumer Reports) rated 13 cars in a category in which it included the Maxima. The Maxima finished second only to the brand new (and excellent) Avalon. The car finishing third was also a newly designed vehicle. The cars finishing fourth through 13 were all rated at least 15 points below the Maxima on a scale of 100.

For a car essentially designed in 2002 and sold since March 2003 to be rated where it was amongst those much newer designs says the 6th gen Maxima is a vastly better car than the detractors are ready to admit.

-------------

There were those who said the world was flat. They were wrong.

Now there are those who say the 6th gen Maxima is a poor car. They are also wrong.

The 6th gen Maxima did not turn out to be exactly what some folks were looking for. That makes it a 'poor car', but only in their own mind.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:08 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by lightonthehill

I have owned nothing but Maximas for over 23 years, and I consider the 6th gen Maxima to be a Maxima.

---------------

Once my dealer made a few warranty repairs right at first, I have had three perfect years with absolutely no problems with my '04 SL. Consumer Reports and I both say you can't do that in a German-made vehicle. It surely has been a pleasure owning and driving this car.

---------------

Absolute hogwash. I read every review I could get my hands on before buying my '04, and the worst ones were 'middle of the road'. Most were more positive than negative. I think the 'proof of the pudding' is contained in the latest issue of Consumer Reports:

The latest issue (of Consumer Reports) rated 13 cars in a category in which it included the Maxima. The Maxima finished second only to the brand new (and excellent) Avalon. The car finishing third was also a newly designed vehicle. The cars finishing fourth through 13 were all rated at least 15 points below the Maxima on a scale of 100.

For a car essentially designed in 2002 and sold since March 2003 to be rated where it was amongst those much newer designs says the 6th gen Maxima is a vastly better car than the detractors are ready to admit.

-------------

Now there are those who say the 6th gen Maxima is a poor car. They are also wrong.

The 6th gen Maxima did not turn out to be exactly what some folks were looking for. That makes it a 'poor car', but only in their own mind.

I love this freakin car...
Old 05-14-2007, 05:36 AM

Once again, Light has shed some realistic....well, light on this situation.

This is my first Maxima, and I am floored everytime I drive it. I see nothing 'poor' or bottom of the bucket about this car.

Chernmax couldn't have said it better;

I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!

Swee
Old 05-14-2007, 07:34 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by lightonthehill

---------------

---------------

-------------

Thank you light for taking the time. Well said!....as always anyway.

Quick Reply: My take on my wifes 2004 Maxima Just bought & some disappointment