6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

My take on my wifes 2004 Maxima Just bought & some disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 09:52 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
'Most previous owners don't consider the 6th gen to be a Maxima'

I have owned nothing but Maximas for over 23 years, and I consider the 6th gen Maxima to be a Maxima.

---------------

'all Maximas were made here, hence the poor quality'

Once my dealer made a few warranty repairs right at first, I have had three perfect years with absolutely no problems with my '04 SL. Consumer Reports and I both say you can't do that in a German-made vehicle. It surely has been a pleasure owning and driving this car.

---------------

'if you read reviews, it has fared poorly in them all'

Absolute hogwash. I read every review I could get my hands on before buying my '04, and the worst ones were 'middle of the road'. Most were more positive than negative. I think the 'proof of the pudding' is contained in the latest issue of Consumer Reports:

The latest issue (of Consumer Reports) rated 13 cars in a category in which it included the Maxima. The Maxima finished second only to the brand new (and excellent) Avalon. The car finishing third was also a newly designed vehicle. The cars finishing fourth through 13 were all rated at least 15 points below the Maxima on a scale of 100.

For a car essentially designed in 2002 and sold since March 2003 to be rated where it was amongst those much newer designs says the 6th gen Maxima is a vastly better car than the detractors are ready to admit.

-------------

There were those who said the world was flat. They were wrong.

Now there are those who say the 6th gen Maxima is a poor car. They are also wrong.

The 6th gen Maxima did not turn out to be exactly what some folks were looking for. That makes it a 'poor car', but only in their own mind.
Thank you for clearing up my point.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:52 PM

Well put. A design is never perfect to everyone, its just depends on that they are looking for. I didnt like the 6th gen at first but the looks grew on me so I went and test drove one and was quite suprised. I loved the 5.5 gen and I like this one just as much.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by RHMax
You're comparing a $70k German car to a $30k Japanese car. Do you know if the trany has been service. There's a TSB for some '04s regarding trany. Struts make noise because they're blown.

I had a 5th gen too. There are a couple of things that I liked better in the old car: but overall, 6th gen is a better car. IMO
If TSB tranny reprogramming does not help, try fresh tranny oil. My 1st is a bit better with the new oil.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You seem not to be able to. You ask a question, and I answered. But if it will make you feel better, please do. Any more issues, please feel free to PM me!

Sorry for the late response. Its all good, I hope no hard feelings. My apologies if I might have offended you by any means. Thank you for your input.
-Sal
Old 05-15-2007, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
Thought here;
If weight/strength were a ratio to take seriously, what would that say about carbon fiber composite?

Sal,

Rh is a fellow that knows his stuff. He's owned/owns both vehicles being compared here. He's not one that talks out of his fanny. He responded to someone's request that a fellow BMW owner pipe in, not just the opinion of someone that's driven for a few miles.

When he gives his $100g opinion, he's flamed. That's not called for. If it's doubt your looking to cast, you've looked in the wrong direction.

Swee
I didn't flame him !!!! Its all good I hope. I apologized opennly. But wow people love this car on this board. And I bet they have every reason to love it. After driving it 1000 miles in less than a month, I have come to the conclusion that it is indeed a nice car. Couple of modifications and you got your self a race + family car in literal means.

Thank you for your input as well. Much appreciated.
-Sal
Old 05-15-2007, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by maximumpower96
After driving it 1000 miles in less than a month, I have come to the conclusion that it is indeed a nice car. Couple of modifications and you got your self a race + family car in literal means.

-Sal

Sal is a Max Fan now!!!! Welcome to the 6th.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
Sal is a Max Fan now!!!! Welcome to the 6th.

I always was man ! Otherwise I wouldnt have bought this 6th gen.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:10 PM

I didn't flame him !!!! Its all good I hope. I apologized opennly. But wow people love this car on this board. And I bet they have every reason to love it. After driving it 1000 miles in less than a month, I have come to the conclusion that it is indeed a nice car. Couple of modifications and you got your self a race + family car in literal means.

-Sal
What I had read from your responses to RHMax, they came off abrupt and short to me. If not intended that way I apologize.

RH is a fellow that knows his cars, whether German or Japanese. If he says something I know I can take it to the bank and cash it.

Good luck with your new car. I truely hope it is everything you want it to be and more.
If you have any questions, forgive our shortsightedness and throw them out here for us to answer.

Swee
Old 05-15-2007, 08:29 PM
.org extraordinaire

I Love This Car

After all the issues I had, including the busted drive shafts after only 3 days of owning this sloot. I still love this car.

Kamski
Old 05-15-2007, 08:36 PM
KC's FINEST

Old 05-15-2007, 09:04 PM
Newbie just Registered

Sorry for the late response. Its all good, I hope no hard feelings. My apologies if I might have offended you by any means. Thank you for your input.
-Sal
Old 05-16-2007, 09:25 AM

I see someone is Happy
Old 05-16-2007, 10:20 AM

I always was man ! Otherwise I wouldnt have bought this 6th gen.
Many people "buy" a Max; about 50,000 per year but the percentage of those that really love their Max is small. There is a difference, in my mind, between a Max "owner" and a Max "fan". I saw a 75 year old Gramma driving a Max to her bingo hall, she is a Max "owner". Chernmax (and many others here) is a Max "fan". See the difference? I saw you as a Max "owner" when you started this thread but now it appears after 1,000 miles of driving your new car that you have become a "fan".
Old 05-16-2007, 04:38 PM

The fact that he is living here like the rest of us Junkies, is a huge indicator Max Status Welcome to the Fanatics Club. We prefer "Enthusiasts" because it less painful to hear than "Fanatics".

Swee
Old 05-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've always liked the 6th gen... they just were not affordable to me until now.

I hope to be picking up a fully loaded minus nav winter frost 2004 SE this week - I just have to get everything squared away on the trade for my current car.

First post by the way... great site!
Old 05-17-2007, 03:35 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by MDMaximaGuy

I hope to be picking up a fully loaded minus nav winter frost 2004 SE this week - I just have to get everything squared away on the trade for my current car.

Welcome soon to be 6th Gen owner and welcome to Maxima.org
Old 05-17-2007, 04:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks... your car is sick! Great vids on youtube.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:10 PM

I actually work for BMW and i have drove many 7 series like you have, and BMW doors tend to be very heavy and require a lot of force to open. But I have also had 5th and now a 6gen maxima..and the doors on the 6 gen are DEFINITLY heavier and tighter, and I think the car is pretty secure, not very clumsy. The 7 series is a large car, but the chassis is geared for performance, and the suspension geared to be soft ride, but with little body roll. The SE suspension on the 6th gen max is far superior to any other generation, as it reacts quicker and it doesn't "float" on the highway.
PS if your car is a 740 sport, forget it itll handle way better than a maxima..but drive the maxima some more, and see how capable the chassis really is. Plus, if you have the stock tires, dont expect much speed in corners....
Old 05-17-2007, 08:29 PM

^^ I do have the 740i. And yes you are absoloutley right about the stock tires and turns. Thank you for the comments.
-Sal
Old 05-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
I hear you on the doors. When I pull the panels a nice coating of rubber will grace the back side remedying the thunk. As for build quality maybe it's just me but I sold Nissans and don't think the 02-03's where any better for build quality. I think the interiors where quite a bit cheaper looking.
Really. The first thing I noticed about the 04 was the cheap interior. And just about every review on the 04 maxima took shots at the interior. Nice interiors have been heading down hill since the 02 Altima was introduced...Too much cheap plastic in the 04 and the build quality was a major issue, hence all the shimmy problems......I don't knock america built products at all, but the 04 maxima was not very well built..........
Old 05-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Banned

Coulda gotten her an '01 740 with the same mileage for only $3,000 more and not been suprised about what you were getting at all.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=1&cardist=200
Old 05-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Banned

Why everyone here has a saracastic tone here? You guys love lashing sarcasim whenever there is a chance. Thats just sad. I get those miles on my 740i because I haven't done the tune up in 18 months. I get those mileage because I have 154K miles on it. And also because its a V8.

Those MPG figures of yours that you see on the computer mean nothing. If 35 MPG was the case, Nissan would put it as an official record. And their engineers would have gotten a nobel prize by now. Which is NOT the case. If you want to figure the exact MPG do what somebody above said how to calculate the exact MPG, once you have filled up your tank again.

-Sal
Maxima.org can't even maintain peace between discussions of different maxima models, forget about discussions between different manufacturers. Theres a ban log on this board, need I say more.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by chernmax
Welcome soon to be 6th Gen owner and welcome to Maxima.org
Well, I was going to go hand them a check and see how hard I was going to have to fight to get them to beat Carmax on my trade today. (the sales manager said he would in effort to get me to buy the car last week... I was going to hold him to it). I called beforehand to let the guy know I was coming up, and they sold the damn car out from under me yesterday.

I'm going to look at 2 more in a few minutes... needless to say I am beyond irritated... to the new "owner" of that Max.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:02 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Most previous Maxima owners don't even think the current Gen is a Maxima. They also moved production from Japan to America to build it. If you read reviews, it has fared poorly in them all.

??? wow i dont think its fair for you to say MOST... thats a big bold stat...
Old 05-19-2007, 02:04 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Welcome to the site man
Old 05-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Newbie just Registered

Well, I was going to go hand them a check and see how hard I was going to have to fight to get them to beat Carmax on my trade today. (the sales manager said he would in effort to get me to buy the car last week... I was going to hold him to it). I called beforehand to let the guy know I was coming up, and they sold the damn car out from under me yesterday.

I'm going to look at 2 more in a few minutes... needless to say I am beyond irritated... to the new "owner" of that Max.
I think your should go to the dealer, not the buyer. Good luck.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think your should go to the dealer, not the buyer. Good luck.
Yea.. you're right.

I just went to a few dealers. I want a fully loaded SE, and the only option I will budge on is Nav. Found a nice 2004 with 16K on it, blue over grey leather, no nav. They want $20,990 - but it needs new tires (goodyears - and they are worn), has some scratches on the driver's door, and the front spoiler is dented, and 2 of the wheels have been curbed. I have a feeling it is going to be hard to get them to come down on the price - but I will talk to them. All of that would have to be fixed if I got that car.

They also have an orange 2004 3.5SE 6MT with 4 place seating and every option... it's sharp but needs tires, and I am trying to get out of a manual transmission (never thought I'd say that)... my commute is 13 miles and has taken up to 2.5 hours before.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:51 PM
Newbie just Registered

If you don't need a 5-seater, the orange 6MT w/ elite is pretty rare. On the blue, see if they'll do $1k off for new wheels, and scratches and dent repair; depending on how bad the scratches are..
Old 05-20-2007, 12:54 AM

If I was a wheeler-dealer, I would snap up the Burnt Umber (orange) '04 SE with manual tranny and elite package. The Burnt Umber was only used from Jan '03 (when the assembly line started up on the '04s) until July '03 as an 'introductory' color.

I have seen many posts here over the last four years where someone was looking for the Burnt Umber with manual tranny. If it is in good condition, I can't imagine not being able to find a buyer willing to pay a very good price for this treasure.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It's nice looking from what I can see. While I appreciate the colors on that car - I am more sedate than that. They have it up on a display ramp at about a 15-20 degree angle... the tires on the driver's side are nearly flat from the weight on them. Backs are goodyears, fronts are toyos... I wonder how bad that is going to shimmy when someone takes it out.

This is a small dealer specializing in imported cars... I don't really know if I want to give them $20K - I think I might feel better if it were certified. I'm still chewing it over... going to Baltimore today to look at 2 more.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
The first thing I noticed about the 04 was the cheap interior. And just about every review on the 04 maxima took shots at the interior. Nice interiors have been heading down hill since the 02 Altima was introduced...Too much cheap plastic in the 04 and the build quality was a major issue......
You are not the first person to say that it has cheap interior plastics but with that general of a statement I don't what plastics you are referring to. Could you be more specific? Door trim, pillar trim, dash, etc?
Old 05-20-2007, 07:07 PM

Burnt Umber?

I thought it was officially "Pimp Daddy Gold!"