6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

My take on my wifes 2004 Maxima Just bought & some disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My take on my wifes 2004 Maxima Just bought & some disappointment

Got an excellent deal. Black on Black fully loaded with XM 2004 for $17K with 54K miles on it. I think it was a killer deal considering the car was dealer maintained throughout and still has 100K Power train warranty. Brand new tires and brand new brakes and rotors. No accidents what so ever.

Though I drove 4th Gen Maxima's all my life till 2004. I bought a 2001 740i ( yea a big jump ) but I worked hard for it too. To be quiet honest, either I am used to of the pulsh luxury of German cars, or I expected a tad too much out of a Maxima. I will sum up my disappointments as follows :

* Doors are too light feel like Paper thin.
* Overall feel of the car is too clumsy ( Doesn't feel like a solid car )
* Ride is too rough.
* Trasmission is not so smooth. 1st gear at times changes too quick giving the car a jerk.
* Struts make noise, which we all know is a production problem.

Even the 5th gen feels far better built of a car. Feels more solid. Doors are Def. more heavier than the 6th Gen ones.

I know it is not fair to compare a car like 740i and Maxima but still even as compared to a 5th Gen maxima, I think the quality is degrading over the years, at least in regards to the sheet metal they are using.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:24 PM

'03 and older Maxes are built in Japan, '04's and up are not. Could be the build quality you are noticing?

Joe.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by maximumpower96
Got an excellent deal. Black on Black fully loaded with XM 2004 for $17K with 54K miles on it. I think it was a killer deal considering the car was dealer maintained throughout and still has 100K Power train warranty. Brand new tires and brand new brakes and rotors. No accidents what so ever.

Though I drove 4th Gen Maxima's all my life till 2004. I bought a 2001 740i ( yea a big jump ) but I worked hard for it too. To be quiet honest, either I am used to of the pulsh luxury of German cars, or I expected a tad too much out of a Maxima. I will sum up my disappointments as follows :

* Overall feel of the car is too clumsy ( Doesn't feel like a solid car )
* Ride is too rough.
* Trasmission is not so smooth. 1st gear at times changes too quick giving the car a jerk.
* Struts make noise, which we all know is a production problem.

Even the 5th gen feels far better built of a car. Feels more solid. Doors are Def. more heavier than the 6th Gen ones.

I know it is not fair to compare a car like 740i and Maxima but still even as compared to a 5th Gen maxima, I think the quality is degrading over the years, at least in regards to the sheet metal they are using.
they feel light as in they close easily...? how would that be a bad thing?

clumsy as in flex and noisy in the rear? if so then I agree on this one

if you want more luxury, then just get SL wheels/tires and SL springs and you should be set for a great quiet ride

does the transmission jerk when it is still cold or <15 of running time? if so then that is pretty normal imo...that's like trying to sprint a mile w/o warming up

struts are a common problem on these cars, most just got for the KYB or coilovers...
OR if you would like then I have TWO front struts that have <1,000 miles on them and I would be willing to sell them to you. I bought them at first because my front ones blew and a little bit after that I found a g/d for the KYB shocks and struts and had to jump all over them!

let me know and good luck with the Maxy pad
dan
Old 05-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Newbie just Registered

You're comparing a $70k German car to a $30k Japanese car. Do you know if the trany has been service. There's a TSB for some '04s regarding trany. Struts make noise because they're blown.

I had a 5th gen too. There are a couple of things that I liked better in the old car: but overall, 6th gen is a better car. IMO
Old 05-07-2007, 07:28 PM

RHMax, where is this TSB on the trans? Is it a recall of some sort that would be taken care of for free...?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
RHMax, where is this TSB on the trans? Is it a recall of some sort that would be taken care of for free...?
S T I C K Y

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB04-045.htm
Old 05-07-2007, 08:03 PM

Wow thats weird I hated the doors in my 02, they would never close right and every other 5th gen Ive been in was the same. My suspension clicked and popped in my 02 also. I needed new struts though.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:05 PM

ironically, i thought the exact same thing when i first looked at a 6th gen, then i mulled it over for a year and bought one anyways. you get used to it
Old 05-07-2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
they feel light as in they close easily...? how would that be a bad thing?

clumsy as in flex and noisy in the rear? if so then I agree on this one

if you want more luxury, then just get SL wheels/tires and SL springs and you should be set for a great quiet ride

does the transmission jerk when it is still cold or <15 of running time? if so then that is pretty normal imo...that's like trying to sprint a mile w/o warming up

struts are a common problem on these cars, most just got for the KYB or coilovers...
OR if you would like then I have TWO front struts that have <1,000 miles on them and I would be willing to sell them to you. I bought them at first because my front ones blew and a little bit after that I found a g/d for the KYB shocks and struts and had to jump all over them!

let me know and good luck with the Maxy pad
dan
Thank you for your offer prjctmax, but I will most likely end up with KYB's ne ways. I have to check if the the transmission TSB is done or not. The doors do close nicely but if you compare them to a 5th Gen max doors you will feel they are more rigid and STRONG as compare to the 6th gen ones. Just my feel on them. Thank you guys for your comments and inputs. Much appreciated.
-Sal
Old 05-07-2007, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bezzle01
Wow thats weird I hated the doors in my 02, they would never close right and every other 5th gen Ive been in was the same. My suspension clicked and popped in my 02 also. I needed new struts though.

No, it is not about the 'closing' of the doors its the 'Feel' of the doors. They don't feel as strong, heavy and rigid as compare to the 5th Gen. You can easily tell that they used lighter sheet metal on the 6th gen one. I personally do not think it compromises the safety by any means but just an observation.
-Sal
Old 05-07-2007, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by silver slug
ironically, i thought the exact same thing when i first looked at a 6th gen, then i mulled it over for a year and bought one anyways. you get used to it

I guess I am not the only one then eh !
Old 05-07-2007, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax

Thank you for the link, I am def. going to look into it, first thing in the morning
Old 05-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by The Hulio
'03 and older Maxes are built in Japan, '04's and up are not. Could be the build quality you are noticing?

Joe.
word, 03 was the last year that was made in japan. after that all maximas were made here. hence the poor quality. my 03 is def solid. nothing cheap here.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:30 PM

Ah yes I will agree on that, before I had the 02 I had a mazda 3 and the doors were the same as my new max but the 3 was even lighter. I think thats pretty much common on alot of new cars.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I hear you on the doors. When I pull the panels a nice coating of rubber will grace the back side remedying the thunk. As for build quality maybe it's just me but I sold Nissans and don't think the 02-03's where any better for build quality. I think the interiors where quite a bit cheaper looking.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:28 AM

I have expressed my opinion here many times about the ride of the SE being clearly firmer than the SL. I absolutely love the ride of the SL. I can put 38 psi in the tires and drive it just like my 2000 SE, or opt for 33 psi and go 'luxo-cruise'. My choice. I usually keep things around 35 psi.

The specs call for a psi of 32 on the 6th gen SE and 33 on the SL, but there is a poster (from Texas) on the ORG who actually keeps 28 psi in the tires on his '04 SE. He says the ride is rather comfortable and the performance just fine at that pressure. If I had a 6th gen SE, I think I would try 30 psi.

As to the doors, one reason the doors on my 2000 SE close 'thunkier' and feel more solid than my '04 SL is because the SL has an unusually high arch in the roofline at the 'B' pillar, setting up a longer 'reach', leading to more 'play' in the 'B' pillar area. I noticed this during my first test drive of an '04. I actually like the lighter feel and easier opening and closing of the '04 doors.

My SL tranny has never missed a shift and never clunked or jerked. No tranny should clunk or jerk. My struts have been great for three years, but clearly there was something not quite right with the struts on the early 6th gens, as many many folks have had trouble with them.

I guess I am very lucky in that I feel my SL is absolutely perfect in every way. Best car I have ever owned in 58 years of driving.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:36 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by Teufelhunden
word, 03 was the last year that was made in japan. after that all maximas were made here. hence the poor quality. my 03 is def solid. nothing cheap here.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I have expressed my opinion here many times about the ride of the SE being clearly firmer than the SL. I absolutely love the ride of the SL. I can put 38 psi in the tires and drive it just like my 2000 SE, or opt for 33 psi and go 'luxo-cruise'. My choice. I usually keep things around 35 psi.
-
I guess I am very lucky in that I feel my SL is absolutely perfect in every way. Best car I have ever owned in 58 years of driving.
Wow, that is a strong statement. I am going to try out 30psi in my car and see how it goes. As I said in my earlier posts that I find the doors paper light and feel nothing rigid about that.

But over all it is a sound car. Good gas mileage and all.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:30 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I have an 04 SE fully loaded with leather, Bose, Navi, etc and the car is rock solid, rides, handles, and performs flawlessly for the last 3+ years since I drove her off the lot new. Your car may have issues, mine doesn't and is a solid performer. When buying a used car, buyer beware...

And those of you who think just because your car was made in Japan that it's better quality, you're wrong, Japan enforces the same quality standards here in the US as they do in Japan, I have lived in Japan for 12 years and have driven only Nissan while stationed there and I can tell you from personal experience that there is no difference in quality. If anyone wants to dispute this statement, please feel free to post a link with proof of better quality!!!
Old 05-08-2007, 05:33 AM
SuPeRmOd

so you never test drove one or anything? just bought it off eBay? seems your "dealer maintained" wasn't as well done as advertised. seems they didn't even replace the struts like which we all know have been upgraded.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:00 AM

Who needs heavier doors? Save the weight and increase the MPG's. Sometimes it may not feel like a solid thud when it is closed b/c the rubber door seals may be worn down from time and not being taken care of.

I had an 02 Max SE and I have to say my 04 SL is a better built car, better suspension- independent rear (still wish it had the doublewishbone front suspension like my 02 Acura TL), no rattles, no squeaks and has more room inside. My 02 was in the shop a number of times for O2 sensors, front ball joints, struts, rotors, Bose replaced and a dead battery after 6 months.

The 04 trans sometimes does shift a little abrupt (from 1-2 and 2-3) when cold but so did all of my other cars, once warmed up, in normal driving I can barely feel or notice it shift, feels like it its the CVT b/c its so smooth. I would have liked to see a 6 speed auto in the newer Maxs but they went the CVT route.

Overall, I love the look of the Max, especially when clean, and I will be adding the Progress springs in the next few weeks to love the look even more.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:14 AM

Off topic, of all the times I've looked at your sig, I just realized that you really are all black. (Pathy and Max). My husband and I would then be "AllWhite". 06 White Tundra, and White Maxima.....

Carry on
Old 05-08-2007, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
Off topic, of all the times I've looked at your sig, I just realized that you really are all black. (Pathy and Max). My husband and I would then be "AllWhite". 06 White Tundra, and White Maxima.....

Carry on
Old 05-08-2007, 09:24 AM
aka The Doom Ship

You know what I've found when it comes to the handling of our cars is that you have to push the car beyond what you "think" the limits are and then you'll be suprised.

Even with my Eibach springs but before the shocks and struts I thought my car handled like a boat and it does at slow speeds. One day I decided to really push it through moderate traffic and I suprised myself and the dude that was "following" me.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:03 AM

Couldn't help but notice you ^^^^^said 'following me' not 'keeping up with me'. Just a thought, and probably a little too much caffeine kicking in. That or sleep deprivation.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:36 PM

The specs call for a psi of 32 on the 6th gen SE and 33 on the SL, but there is a poster (from Texas) on the ORG who actually keeps 28 psi in the tires on his '04 SE. He says the ride is rather comfortable and the performance just fine at that pressure. If I had a 6th gen SE, I think I would try 30 psi..
Your opinion is always appreciated on this site.

Thanks for this PSI suggestion. I ran 35 psi in my new SE tires (Michelin Pilot Sports, bought at about 30 K miles on car) for about 18 K miles, until I noticed that there was more wear in the center of the tread than on the sides (an indication that the tire was over inflated). So I've gone back to the factory specs of 32 PSI. But 30 PSI might be even better. I'll give it a try.

My struts have been great for three years, but clearly there was something not quite right with the struts on the early 6th gens, as many many folks have had trouble with them.

My struts have been great too. I keep waiting for problems that don't seem to be coming and I now have about 56 K miles on the Max.

I've had (and driven) a number of cars in my 53 or so years of driving (started at age 15). They are definitely hard to compare, given the changes that have happened with cars over those years. In it's time the 55 Olds 88 2-door (my dad's car) was a real winner (although the trannie was a problem -- probably because I drove it too hard). I really loved my 65 Corvette with hard and soft tops, but it was not a car for someone with a wife and 2 kids (none of which I had when I bought her new). Since those 2 cars, I have to say that this 04 SE is my best car.

I did put in a stiffer rear anti-sway bar that has helped the cornering -- as did the better tires. Will probably go with the aftermarket struts when the originals finally die.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
so you never test drove one or anything? just bought it off eBay? seems your "dealer maintained" wasn't as well done as advertised. seems they didn't even replace the struts like which we all know have been upgraded.
No my friend the car is indeed excellent no complaints here. It was my fault to compare it to my 740i. There is no way a Japanese non-luxury can be compared to a German Engineering. I forgot that most of the people on this board are 100% nissan fanatics. You completely missed out my point about the drawbacks in the car. Anyway's I am happy with my purchase, the only reason I did go with a Maxima is because no other make comes even near to what a Maxima has to offer. There is NO subsititute PERIOD !
Old 05-08-2007, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
Who needs heavier doors? Save the weight and increase the MPG's.

You do need them when you are hit from sideways.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
I have an 04 SE fully loaded with leather, Bose, Navi, etc and the car is rock solid, rides, handles, and performs flawlessly for the last 3+ years since I drove her off the lot new. Your car may have issues, mine doesn't and is a solid performer. When buying a used car, buyer beware...

Bro, it is my fault I got used to of a 740i over the years. I forgot what a Japanese car felt like. Yes I am wrong here to compare a German car to Japanese, but yes you are right as compare to other japanese car, the maxima is far better of a car. But Still they could have done a bit better.

I will ask you how you will feel driving a Maxima after driving a German car for 2+ years. All this strong words i.e. "Rock Solid" ....."flawlessly" will be more like ' Good Handling' and " performs nicely".

-Sal
Old 05-08-2007, 08:25 PM

Sal - You are correct that German cars are well-engineered, feel rock-solid, and have long had a reputation as outstanding performers. So why does anyone bother to buy a Maxima?

Two reasons: COST and RELIABILITY.

Lets look at cost:

Prices on the '07 Maxima are somewhere around $28K for a base SE up into the low $30s for a loaded SL. Consumer Reports says the price of an '07 BMW 7 series ranges from $75K to $121K. In other words, a person can buy THREE or FOUR Maximas for the price of ONE BMW 7 series. Absolutely STUNNING difference.

Lets look at reliability:

The Reliability Ratings in the spring annual auto issue of Consumer Reports reflect the experiences of over a hundred thousand members of the driving public.

On the whole, those drivers rate the Maxima above average for reliability.

By contrast, the reliability ratings for the BMW 7 series (to which the 740i belongs) is notable only for the plethora of black ***** (much worse than average rating). A VERY SIGNIFICANT difference.

One cannot help but be left with the impression that maybe BMW 7 series owners are swayed more by an image that buffs their ego than by practicality ansd reliability.

But that is just one person's opinion.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:29 PM

There you go Mr. Light, throwing around useful facts. What else are we supposed to twist and contort when you are constantly setting us straight?

Thanks Light,

Swee
Old 05-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Newbie just Registered

You do need them when you are hit from sideways.
I've seen a few pics of 6th gen after big crashes. They took the impact pretty well. Just because they sound light, it doesn't mean they're not safe.

As for German engineering goes, compare something closer in price.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:57 PM

Sal - You are correct that German cars are well-engineered, feel rock-solid, and have long had a reputation as outstanding performers. So why does anyone bother to buy a Maxima?

Two reasons: COST and RELIABILITY.

Lets look at cost:

Prices on the '07 Maxima are somewhere around $28K for a base SE up into the low $30s for a loaded SL. Consumer Reports says the price of an '07 BMW 7 series ranges from $75K to $121K. In other words, a person can buy THREE or FOUR Maximas for the price of ONE BMW 7 series. Absolutely STUNNING difference.

Lets look at reliability:

The Reliability Ratings in the spring annual auto issue of Consumer Reports reflect the experiences of over a hundred thousand members of the driving public.

On the whole, those drivers rate the Maxima above average for reliability.

By contrast, the reliability ratings for the BMW 7 series (to which the 740i belongs) is notable only for the plethora of black ***** (much worse than average rating). A VERY SIGNIFICANT difference.

One cannot help but be left with the impression that maybe BMW 7 series owners are swayed more by an image that buffs their ego than by practicality ansd reliability.

Well said mate. Couldnt have said better. As you said most bimmer owners want to make a point by owning a BMW. In my case I went for the 'FEEL' of the car. The feel of a Bimmer is miles better than that of a Maxima. People are replying to my posts like I am some Maxima hater. I have driven nothing but a Maxima; my entire life. You are right about the reliability, Bimmers are a pain the **** when they go bad.

With that price tag of a Bimmer you also buy the 'Wow' Factor which you can't have with Maxima regardless of how much performance parts you put in it. And FYI, my Bimmer when I bought a ( 2001 ) costed less than a fully loaded 2004 Maxima.

Anyhow, I would rather fight my argument with someone who had FIRST hand experience ( and not for a day or two ) with a German car. They might then understand what I am saying.

Anyway's thank you for your great post. I agreed 99% of it.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Newbie just Registered

Anyhow, I would rather fight my argument with someone who had FIRST hand experience ( and not for a day or two ) with a German car. They might then understand what I am saying.

That would be me. Compare my '05 Max to my '06 550i or my old '01 E430 (both were purchased new), they are much better made with performance to boot. With both german cars, I had the pleasure of driving their loaners more time than I can count, with replaced parts ranging from small sensors to a transmission. Versus my '00 SE and my current '05, only a couple of TSB's were performed. I must say I'd rather hang out at the BMW or Mercedes dealers, because they have so much more to offer their customers.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:11 PM

So why does anyone bother to buy a Maxima?

Two reasons: COST and RELIABILITY. . . .

That is the opinion of at least two people. The Germans make well engineered cars that cost a fortune. I don't want to spend a fortune buying the car and then a second fortune keeping it running. I want a car that is dependable. That is also why I have abandoned GM and Ford -- their vehicles are not dependable.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:02 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Bro, it is my fault I got used to of a 740i over the years. I forgot what a Japanese car felt like. Yes I am wrong here to compare a German car to Japanese, but yes you are right as compare to other japanese car, the maxima is far better of a car. But Still they could have done a bit better.

I will ask you how you will feel driving a Maxima after driving a German car for 2+ years. All this strong words i.e. "Rock Solid" ....."flawlessly" will be more like ' Good Handling' and " performs nicely".

-Sal
Agree, I have driven in many BMW's in Germany, Italy, Norway and here in the US. No doubt the Bimmers are a true rock solid car, however comparing a 740i to a Maxima is like comparing a Yugo to a Cadi (depending on what year your 740i was). And yes I can use those strong words because I know my car and I'm comparing it in a like class amongst other sports sedans. Last, my car is not stock and has been tweaked better then most, so again, a Rock Solid flawlessly fast car...
Old 05-09-2007, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Agree, I have driven in many BMW's in Germany, Italy, Norway and here in the US. No doubt the Bimmers are a true rock solid car, however comparing a 740i to a Maxima is like comparing a Yugo to a Cadi (depending on what year your 740i was). And yes I can use those strong words because I know my car and I'm comparing it in a like class amongst other sports sedans. Last, my car is not stock and has been tweaked better then most, so again, a Rock Solid flawlessly fast car...

"........Anyhow, I would rather fight my argument with someone who had FIRST hand experience ( and not for a day or two ) with a German car. They might then understand what I am saying......."
You can tweak a car you can't make it rock solid
Old 05-09-2007, 06:24 AM
SmokinMaxSE

As a new Maxima owner, I take it as a suprise and compliment that everyone wants to compare this car to cars like a BMW. I just find it plain funny that you compare it to a BMW and people get upset that it might be inferior to one. I'm 28 years of age and cars will only get better from here. I can accept it being compared to the TL but lets keep it real.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:47 AM
SuPeRmOd

I don't think it's as much as us being Nissan fanatics. It's more that you're comparing a nissan to a bmw. Even more so that you continue to wish it was more like a bmw.

certainly no one is saying the maxima is even close to perfect. especially for the deal you found, one would expect more praise perhaps.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
I don't think it's as much as us being Nissan fanatics. It's more that you're comparing a nissan to a bmw. Even more so that you continue to wish it was more like a bmw.

certainly no one is saying the maxima is even close to perfect. especially for the deal you found, one would expect more praise perhaps.

As posted earlier, I am extremely happy with my purchase, nevertheless. The whole point of the thread is not to compare maxima with a BMW, but bringing out the weak points as compare to the 5th Gen. As I mentioned earlier for example, I feel and its a fact that the doors on this 6th Gen are far more lighter and Nissan has degraded the sheet metal as used on the 5th Gen one (at least on the doors). Any one care to challenge me on that ?

Quick Reply: My take on my wifes 2004 Maxima Just bought & some disappointment