6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Front RH strut noise. Replace Strut itself or the Strut plate ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Front RH strut noise. Replace Strut itself or the Strut plate ?

About to do something about that annoying noise. Was wondering is it the struts it self or the mounting plate that makes that noise ? Also I think the rear of the car sits perfectly IMO. I just want to change the front to KYB or other Struts that you guys will recommend, would it be ok to do that or is it a big no no ?

Also how to give the tail lights smoke look ? Buy the kit on ebay ?
Old 05-15-2007, 06:49 PM

What is the noise and when does it happen? The right front is notorious for going bad. On certain bumps my right front sounds and feels like the strut is a littel loose and not bolted down right. It happens only when I go slowly over pot holes and road construction repairs that I notice it. The struts were checked again 2 weeks ago and no issues with them. Its got to be the mounting plate or something. Let me know what you find out with yours.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maximumpower96
About to do something about that annoying noise. Was wondering is it the struts it self or the mounting plate that makes that noise ? Also I think the rear of the car sits perfectly IMO. I just want to change the front to KYB or other Struts that you guys will recommend, would it be ok to do that or is it a big no no ?

Also how to give the tail lights smoke look ? Buy the kit on ebay ?
If you are doing the work yourself (hell, even if you are not) you might as well replace the struts. $120 a pair shipped for KYB GR2's. Or if you want to take to the ultimate $375 plus shipping plus shipping for adjustable Konis if money is no object. While you're at it get some Cattman progress springs to lower the car (Struts do not lower cars).
Old 05-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Thank you for your advices guys. BadblackMAx, I have the same sound as yours, going slow on bumps and very low clunk noise comes. I am going to replace the mounting plate it doesnt cost much.

And yes Coolmax05, I am going to go with the KYBGR2's Money is no object, but if I get the cattman progress springs, would they make the ride very stiff ?
Old 05-15-2007, 08:02 PM

Thank you for your advices guys. BadblackMAx, I have the same sound as yours, going slow on bumps and very low clunk noise comes. I am going to replace the mounting plate it doesnt cost much.

And yes Coolmax05, I am going to go with the KYBGR2's Money is no object, but if I get the cattman progress springs, would they make the ride very stiff ?
Cattman progress springs will ride somewhat rougher. But...oh the improvement in handling will have you loving every frickin' minute of it.

To be honest, the GR2's will degrade ride quality more than the springs. Especially the rears. Oh but the increased handling will most likely make it well worth it. There are always tradeoffs. Taste great, less filling...

If looks and comfort are most important then cattman springs or H&R springs with OEM KYB shocks (H&R give the best ride quality but less drop than the progress springs).

If handling and fun to drive is most important then Cattman springs, GR2's, Progress rear sway bar, racingline end links, and badazz tires. If you want to take it to the Max then go to "active tuning" for front konis & rear AGX's.

Heck, since money is no object forget GR2's. Go get your konis already and AGX's. You can tune them down to stock ride quality but when the lady is out of the car, stiffen that badboy up and take it to the curves.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:11 PM

I am also experiencing this noice. I'll shortly be investing the the GR2s along with the Progress springs after scouring these boards for advise. I cant thank you guys enough for how much I have learned about my Max in the 3 weeks I have owned her.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:18 PM

i too had and still have the noise the dealer changed the right side strut on the third visit to them then the very next week i returned with the noise and i told them they got to do the left but they claim they did not find anything on the left but the right was leaking. I also went in yesterday again becausing my transmission is jerking when shifting and the gears are changing eratic. At times the car drives like a manual when you release the gas it just coast and when given gas it jerks back into gear like if you came off the clutch too soon. Guess what, they said they could not find anything so my next move is to visit a different dealer. All suggestions for different dealers are welcome. Mostly prefer the brooklyn, queens,or even long island dealer all except the one on northern blvd in jackson heights queens because that's where i normally go since i work very close to them.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:49 AM

I think the Konis are well worth the $200 or so extra since it allows you flexibility.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:33 PM

Well, what would be the cheapest option?
By cheap, hopefully will be good quality.
Anybody?
Old 01-05-2008, 07:18 PM

Finally I found this thread. I still have this noise coming every time I go over a pothole or a speed bump.

As I read it again, the thread went away from the noise, to the struts of choice. But again, what produces the noise? I know it's common, so I'm sure to get a quick answer.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:44 PM

i have the same noise and i was told it was because of the rubber parts in the suspenion....that was what the dealership guy told me, not sure if its true or not......for smoking out the tailight u dnt hav to get a kit. u can just buy a spray can and just spray ur taillights. i'll get the name 4 it tommorow if interested

Last edited by bdmaxima; 01-05-2008 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:08 AM
Where is my shirt?

Same issue here!!

My front right sounds as if it is about to snap in 2!! I really cant explain the noise but sort of like the bending of metal.

So whats the best A/M to replace these struts? GR2's or konis??
Old 01-06-2008, 10:10 AM

It seems it's been that front right strut thats been causing the issue can we
just replace the front struts and keep the OEM struts on the back or can some one tell us what part to replace to fix this
Old 01-06-2008, 10:42 AM

I guess bottom line is, if we replace the strut, will the noise disappear or will it still be there?

Is there another piece that should also be changed at the same time?

I don't want to change the strut and then have the same noise again and again...
Old 01-06-2008, 11:36 AM

discovered two failing struts, dealer replced under warranty...noise disappeared....dealer said warranty will void if replaced with aftermarket struts or any issues that might arise from the aftermarket strut.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
What is the noise and when does it happen? The right front is notorious for going bad. On certain bumps my right front sounds and feels like the strut is a littel loose and not bolted down right. It happens only when I go slowly over pot holes and road construction repairs that I notice it. The struts were checked again 2 weeks ago and no issues with them. Its got to be the mounting plate or something. Let me know what you find out with yours.
I was at the dealership on Friday, Jan 4 and now they say my right strut is what is causing the noise and they are going to replace both struts next week. I have 34,800 on my Max and this will be the 4th set of struts; the originals were replaced at 4,000, then again at 14,000 and now at 34,000. All since I bought the car new (179 miles on the odometer) in May 2005. Yikes!!!
Old 01-06-2008, 08:41 PM

so u guys found out it is the struts that is the problem?.....i been complaining about it for so long and the dealership tells me its some rubber part....sh** part is my warrenty is dne because im over the milage at 50k
Old 01-07-2008, 02:53 AM

Is this considered part of the powertrain? Just wondered. 57k miles and mine makes this noise as well.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:20 AM

unfortunately not part of the power train. Most of you are lucky to get both struts replaced only if 1 is making the noise (unless both are making the noise). Nissan awesome policy is only to replace the faulty one.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:49 AM
MAXIN' ON

I already had my right done and think my wifes might have something wrong.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:56 AM

I think the warranty on any new piece they put in is 12 months/12000 miles so if they blow again before that time is up they should have to replace it for free again. I will also post the part number of the strut they put on; I know that they changed the part before to their "upgraded" struts and the part number was different from my OEM strut. Can I ask them for a Lexus strut? Maybe then it won't blow out again......
Old 01-07-2008, 11:59 AM

I'm getting quotes from different places on new struts as I'm typing this. The first place said $430 including the cost of the KYB's, which is $120. I called the dealership for grins.. and I'm still waiting on another. Does $310 in labor sound high? The last thing I want to do is replace the struts and still hear this god awful noise, and I don't want the dealer diagnosis for an extra $150, so is everyone sure it's the struts that are making these noises?

Edit: The Nissan dealer just came back with $716..LOL. He told me they need to do alignment as well after the struts are put on. I asked, "Why would you need to do that?" He said it was to make sure everything lines up properly after the install. I don't know enough about suspension to question him more, but I don't think an alignment is necessary after a strut install...

2nd Edit: WINNER! Plaza Tire, god I love them. $320 with everything - KYB GR2's...parts, labor, alignment, taxes...

Last edited by MaxEx; 01-07-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:28 PM

I would say do it yourself but the $320 for everything sounds awesome. You aint gonna beat that. the alignment is necessary as you are changing how your car sat even though its just the struts that were replaced and they bolt on exactly like the OEM. Every part is not 100% identical and your tires will thank you for this. If you are lowering it, definitely need the alignment.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:37 PM

Back on topic..what are the chances that this noise I hear on the front right side would be the strut plate as opposed to the strut? Also, I am not lowering, just struts.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by MaxEx
Back on topic..what are the chances that this noise I hear on the front right side would be the strut plate as opposed to the strut? Also, I am not lowering, just struts.
I would say it is the strut.

Funny thing though, today it was warmer outside here in Ohio, @ 65 degrees and my noisy suspension wasn't as noisy as when it was 20 degrees outside. Maybe the noise is also the bushings being old, cold and wornout that allow the parts to bang around more?? This spring its time for an ES suspension bushing kit.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MaxEx
The front left was leaking oil and I had that bad rattle with my front right strut so I had new front struts put in by the dealer and it fixed it (dealer usally gives a 1 year warranty on parts too). My car is all stock with 36,000 on it.

I bet it would fix it
Old 01-08-2008, 05:39 AM

Has anyone looked into going with a urethane replacement for the bushing.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
I would say it is the strut.

Funny thing though, today it was warmer outside here in Ohio, @ 65 degrees and my noisy suspension wasn't as noisy as when it was 20 degrees outside. Maybe the noise is also the bushings being old, cold and wornout that allow the parts to bang around more?? This spring its time for an ES suspension bushing kit.
Mine is much quieter as well. It only squeaks when I'm going up down a steep incline like my driveway from the level street.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:22 PM

Again can i change the front struts and leave the back OEM
Old 01-10-2008, 12:53 PM

when goin over speed bumps, what is your take on it if its the REAR making a squeaking noise?
Old 01-10-2008, 06:37 PM

I have a thread on here where I stated the dealership replaced my front struts and they were under warranty. The noise is gone. Although I had the tech and the service manager ride with me so they would know what I was talking about.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have 26k now and started to get the same noise on the right side, it's usually louder when someone is sitting on the passenger side seat. I'm going to bring it to the dealer this weekend.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:08 PM

I too have this issue @ only 54k but according to my carfax its still under warrenty until 60k i will call the stealership tomorrow thanks!
Old 02-11-2008, 09:13 PM

I had a squeaking noise on the left front for the longest. It would be more apparent when it was cold outside and less when warm. Turned out it was the strut boot. Didn't sound like a strut boot but the dealer documented that they replaced it and lubricated the strut and since then the noise has gone away almost entirely.

coolmax made reference to H&R springs being a comfortable ride earlier in this post. Has anyone tried these springs and can you please verify whether or not they are a comfortable ride. I'm trying to fix my front end like most of you and the stock solutions aren't solutions, they're bandaids that wear out in time. I need a permanent solution and I really don't want to downgrade my wheels to improve the comfort of my ride.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:18 PM

when i first looked at my car it had a noise from the front end..It happened to be the front struts..yep they both got replaced now the noise has been gone..
**I have a question guys...i was gone this weekend and my dad was snowblowing and he back the snowblower into my driver side mirror and broke the plastic pieces that hold it on.. BTW it is a 04 SL...he ordered a mirror already that is not painted so were just gonna swap my painted one on the new mirror arm...but the big question i have is how to take that mirror off? take the inside panel off? speaker? and what is the best way to go bout that is it just clips on the tweeter? i already tried downloading the big manual but was unsuccessful in opening it..thanks a lot...
Old 02-12-2008, 05:57 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by macneil17
**I have a question guys...i was gone this weekend and my dad was snowblowing and he back the snowblower into my driver side mirror and broke the plastic pieces that hold it on.. BTW it is a 04 SL...he ordered a mirror already that is not painted so were just gonna swap my painted one on the new mirror arm...but the big question i have is how to take that mirror off? take the inside panel off? speaker? and what is the best way to go bout that is it just clips on the tweeter? i already tried downloading the big manual but was unsuccessful in opening it..thanks a lot...
NEW THREAD?

Easier said then done, I had both my mirrors replaced as they lost their memmmory control function and would move around randomly when the car was turned on...... :-O

Anywhoo, when the mirror is replaced they said something about resetting the BCM that keeps positional settings in memmory.

Yes speaker has to be removed and the door trim.

Kamski

Last edited by kamski; 02-12-2008 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:04 PM
.org extraordinaire

About to do something about that annoying noise.
Got the KONI's for me and they work awesome, noise was still there, took it apart again, noticed the spring was touching the perch (bottom). Rotated the spring about 1" inch away from the perch, lowered the car.......

NOISE GONE ;-)

THen....

Noise came back, but this time a bolt came loose from my right endlink and it was clunking around. Got RACINGLINE endlinks, problem solved.

Then......

Noise came back, but a lot more subtle, SE-R sway bar bushing ripped.

Replaced that......

Noise has now been gone since then. (Dec 2007).

Kamski
Old 02-12-2008, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
NEW THREAD?

Easier said then done, I had both my mirrors replaced as they lost their memmmory control function and would move around randomly when the car was turned on...... :-O

Anywhoo, when the mirror is replaced they said something about resetting the BCM that keeps positional settings in memmory.

Yes speaker has to be removed and the door trim.

Kamski
Yea i couldnt open thread...
hmmm....reset the BCM?? whats that and how to...thanks
Old 02-12-2008, 06:21 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by macneil17
Yea i couldnt open thread...
Try again, u have 15 posts.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:40 PM

Eibach springs or progress too!

Originally Posted by coolmax05
If you are doing the work yourself (hell, even if you are not) you might as well replace the struts. $120 a pair shipped for KYB GR2's. Or if you want to take to the ultimate $375 plus shipping plus shipping for adjustable Konis if money is no object. While you're at it get some Cattman progress springs to lower the car (Struts do not lower cars).
Hey coolmax Some of us can't go with adjustables because of the weather...the salt and sand will kill adjustables...would you recommend changing all four to KYB or just the fronts...I have the Eibach Prokit 1 and feel that the rears or OK...what's your opionion on that?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Front RH strut noise. Replace Strut itself or the Strut plate ?