6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Lowering?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 06:07 AM

Lowering?

I live in S. Florida, and the roads are in awful conditions. Is it worth lowering the ride knowing that you might bottom out occassionally? I'm really a fan of the way it looks when dropped a few inches but I'm worried that I would have to come to a complete stop to go over some of the railroad tracks around here. Any advise?
Old 05-19-2007, 09:08 AM

I say DO IT! I got ksport coilovers and its really low, so lookin at peeps with springs they still look stock to me. The roads here are decent, but there are some areas that are really harsh. You just gotta watch out for that stuff and start remembering where the bad bumps/potholes are.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:19 AM
*moderator*

Yeah there's plenty of low cars in florida, you just have to be a bit more selective about where you drive...I'm on coilovers as well but not sure if you want that harsh of a ride (or to be that low) When I was on Eibachs, it pretty much felt like stock!
Old 05-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Originally Posted by Elimackman
I live in S. Florida, and the roads are in awful conditions. Is it worth lowering the ride knowing that you might bottom out occassionally? I'm really a fan of the way it looks when dropped a few inches but I'm worried that I would have to come to a complete stop to go over some of the railroad tracks around here. Any advise?
Elimackman,
I am here in Coral Springs. Have been running with Eibachs and KYBs for about 3 months and have had no issues at all.....
Old 05-19-2007, 04:45 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by larsim
Elimackman,
I am here in Coral Springs. Have been running with Eibachs and KYBs for about 3 months and have had no issues at all.....
Thats a beauty setup, but go with Progress and Kyb or KONI/AGX combo. Ask me or DEUSKI how awesome that setup is. Progress have more dead coils so the suspension feels more progressive then straight up EIBACHS.

Either way the ride will be way more pimp then stock.

Kamski
Old 05-19-2007, 05:27 PM

Dude, it sounds like you live way east...move over to Coconut Creek, not 100% east, but still close...if you know what I mean.

You should go ahead and lower it, I work by FLL airport and drive around downtown; some roads are messed up, but not enough to bottom out the car. And if you slow down over the railroad tracks, so be it, let people admire the beautiful rear of your Maxima.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:13 PM
SmokinMaxSE

You'll learn quickly how to drive it. When I travel to the city I go very slow and train tracks are the enemy. Just lower it and if you don't like it put the stockers back on and sell your springs.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:58 PM

I've been sold... GR-2 Struts with H&R shocks... i'm gonna keep the wheels stock for the time being...
Old 05-20-2007, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Outlawd
I say DO IT! I got ksport coilovers and its really low, so lookin at peeps with springs they still look stock to me. The roads here are decent, but there are some areas that are really harsh. You just gotta watch out for that stuff and start remembering where the bad bumps/potholes are.
Gettin any clicking sounds when turning the wheels and stuff? Im slammed on ksports too, prolly need to tighten the collars but I doubt they will stay noise free for long.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:19 AM

Lower It!

It also depends on how you want your ride to feel to. I originally went with the Eibach Kit and Kyb Gr2s all around. An it work out great, but I really like my ride slammed a bit, an that's with 22s to. So I came out of pocket an purchase the activetuning Koni adjustable Front struts & Kyb AGXs rear adjustable shocks. Very much worth the money, I mean the suspension can be adjusted for aggressive racing or like a smooth luxury ride. That's why I decided to go even lower then Eibach, an switch to the lowest spring kit made for our maximas, which is Intrax. So current my ride is drop 2.25 inches in the front & 1.5 inches the rear, and I'm going to be honest with you it drives great with the custom upgrades. I had very little scrubbing on my left front tire, but all I did was shave a silver dollar size of the wheel well off.

[I
Old 05-20-2007, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Glude
Gettin any clicking sounds when turning the wheels and stuff? Im slammed on ksports too, prolly need to tighten the collars but I doubt they will stay noise free for long.
Naw, I don't have any clicking noises at all.

Isn't clicking noises when you turn while driving an indication of bad cv joints?
Old 05-22-2007, 04:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I hade eibachs with the stock struts and my front end bottom out and kept making popping noise. So i bought some tein basic coilovers and went lower the handling was fair and ride comfort was good ,but the tein ss coilovers is better because you can adjust the ride height and strut damper.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:41 AM

I would encourage you to drop her. I did it about 2 months ago and have NEVER regretted it.

The ride is phenominal. Repsonse to to turning is even better. Handling is out of this world.
You will be mindful of things when lowered. As long as your not hauling, when you cruise into parking lots with speed bumps, you'll be good. You'll learn to take your time going over those tracks. It becomes instinctual.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:20 AM

Appreciate the love... I placed the order for the gr2 and eibach and anxiously awaiting
Old 05-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Appreciate the love... I placed the order for the gr2 and eibach and anxiously awaiting
That is exactly my setup Elimackman.
Not sure if you already picked a place that will install them for you, but I had a tough time finding a place/shop in this region that would do it for me.
I finally found Dinosaur Tires (http://www.dinosaurtires.com/). They installed the springs and shocks for me for $250.....
Old 05-23-2007, 05:24 PM

I was going to do them myself
Old 05-24-2007, 05:29 AM

I would. I learned a lot about doing springs. Plus I got to hang out with some awesome people! And I really enjoyed doing things on my car.

Plus it came in handy when my neighbor asked me to teach him how to drop his SRT-4.