6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Shopping 6th gens - what should I know?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 09:40 PM

Shopping 6th gens - what should I know?

I'll find out tomorrow if my 5th gen is totalled - if so I may be looking at replacing it with a 6th gen.

What do I need to know about them? I read the sticky about the lemon law....what is that all about? Any other important things to look out for?
Old 06-14-2007, 09:47 PM

It really depends on which model.

SE's- Shimmy, bad passenger hub, Bose, Chrome Strips along roof line, (if you are going for the 6 speed, have Master cylinder for standard tranny replaced. That way you can avoid the 'dead pedal')- The cruddy Goodyear Eagle RSA tires. Pure junk.
SL's- Bose, Chrome Strips along roof line, lumbar recall...check both models for the recalls.

If I can think of more, I'll post them. They are great cars, with minor hiccups. Really minor.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by 4MySwee

SE's- Shimmy, bad passenger hub, Bose, Chrome Strips along roof line, (if you are going for the 6 speed, have Master cylinder for standard tranny replaced. That way you can avoid the 'dead pedal')- The cruddy Goodyear Eagle RSA tires. Pure junk.
SL's- Bose, Chrome Strips along roof line, lumbar recall...check both models for the recalls.

If I can think of more, I'll post them. They are great cars, with minor hiccups. Really minor.
Sounds like the 5th gen....great car with minor hiccups.

I'll want an SE 6 speed for sure.....can you elborate on some of these issues?
Old 06-14-2007, 10:19 PM

Sure,

The "dead pedal"- From what I understand, you lose feel in the pedal. It engages at different heights from the floor. It can make you feel foolish. In traffic it can make you look like you can't drive a standard. Some Nissan dealerships recognize the issue and resolve it quickly. Others, will fight you.

The Goodyear Eagle RSA Tires- Cracked sidewalls. The aren't very good in water either. Hydroplanning is a common thing in places where it rains a lot. The tires are horrible. If your SE has these tires, I would strongly recommend you get the Yokohamas YK520's, or the Advans.
The Shimmy- There is a wicked shimmy when cruising down the highway. A few folks here have discovered a way to eliminate that. When you look up under the front of the car, there is a black guard. Remove or trim it altogether and it solves the vibration transferred up through the steering wheel, creating the 'infamous shimmy'.

Chrome strips along the top of the roof- Fade horribly in a short period of time. They come in 2 or 3 piece strips, and the center ones fade substantially faster than the rest of the chromy pieces.
Bose- Are quite common for their cd players locking up or not playing cds at all. Unfortunately, it is something you'll have to discover on your own, because it can be an on again, off again thing. Maybe look into an extended warranty.
Bad Passenger Hub- Have known about 6 people having had them replaced. For some reason this appears to be an SE issue only. Not sure why, but every last one that has needed this replacement was an SE. Some would argue that this is an issue because of lowering. Of the 6 I know, 3 are lowered, three are not. I personally don't believe that changing the suspension is the cause of this. But I am not ASE certified, so I wouldn't know for sure.

Swee
Old 06-14-2007, 11:33 PM
Newbie just Registered

Look for later built '04 and up where most of the issues have been fixed. I haven't had any problems with mine, 2 years and almost 25k miles.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:13 AM

Also you have to look for noises and problems with the front struts and strut mounts which a lot of 04's suffered and even on my 05 i'm still fighting about them.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:11 AM

Not bad, I think certain camrys have just as many or more problems
Old 06-15-2007, 08:29 AM
Banned

Get the 6th gen and you'll be riding with teh windows down, hitting the horn and going WHOOOOOOOOO to the ladies!
Old 06-15-2007, 08:55 AM

"Get the 6th gen and you'll be riding with teh windows down, hitting the horn and going WHOOOOOOOOO to the ladies!"
...............MAYBE I NEED TO TRY THAT ONE DAY>
Old 06-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Skip any 4AT model trannies (mostly early 04SL models had them), if you go with a 04SE 6spd manual try and find one with the Limited Slip Differential option. Other than that, what he said^^^^^^^!!!
Old 06-15-2007, 11:39 AM

if you by used. check the chrome roof stripes... if they are faded, make the dealer replace them for free. if they say no, then tell them you are going to another dealership....

trust me, they will replace those in order to get the sale. Those stripes cost 160.00 each not including install... save that money and get some lowering springs.... HA....
Old 06-15-2007, 12:01 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Originally Posted by 2LEET4U
if you by used. check the chrome roof stripes... if they are faded, make the dealer replace them for free. if they say no, then tell them you are going to another dealership....

trust me, they will replace those in order to get the sale. Those stripes cost 160.00 each not including install... save that money and get some lowering springs.... HA....
Just put your foot down and you get whatever u want
Old 06-15-2007, 10:11 PM

Ok so worst case scenerios, I'd be replacing a hub, chrome strips, master cylinder, and radio.

The chrome strips are $160 each....how many are there? What is the ballpark cost of a master cylinder and hub?
Old 06-16-2007, 02:08 AM

Most everything has been covered in this thread.

In case you may not know, the 2007 Maxima is only available with the CVT (continuously variable transmission), so is 'off the table' for you.

The Yokohama YK520 tires were mentioned. They are a very good choice for the SL, but, unless something has changed in the last few weeks, they are not available in the SE (245/45X18) size.

The 2004s were made from January 2003 until July 2004 (a LONG stretch). If you opt for the '04 model, I would suggest getting one actually built in '04, or at least in late '03. The build-date is on the little plaque in the driver's door jamb.

To test for the shimmy, find a fairly clear road, place your fingertips lightly at the 3 oclock and 9 oclock positions of the steering wheel, then gradually increase your speed from around 30 mph to 70 mph (even faster if you are where you can get away with it). There will be some steering wheel vibration, but if, at any particular speed, it begins moving from side to side very visibly, the car has the dreaded 'shimmy'.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:42 AM

struts suck on 05s be prepared to change them. Or just go performance struts.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:57 AM

I recently got a new 04 SE... There's always a vibration *sound*, but not a vibration in my steering wheel... I feel like some sort of resonant frequency comes from where the roof meets the windshield??

Is that the same as this "shimmy" you all speak of??

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Most everything has been covered in this thread.

In case you may not know, the 2007 Maxima is only available with the CVT (continuously variable transmission), so is 'off the table' for you.

The Yokohama YK520 tires were mentioned. They are a very good choice for the SL, but, unless something has changed in the last few weeks, they are not available in the SE (245/45X18) size.

The 2004s were made from January 2003 until July 2004 (a LONG stretch). If you opt for the '04 model, I would suggest getting one actually built in '04, or at least in late '03. The build-date is on the little plaque in the driver's door jamb.

To test for the shimmy, find a fairly clear road, place your fingertips lightly at the 3 oclock and 9 oclock positions of the steering wheel, then gradually increase your speed from around 30 mph to 70 mph (even faster if you are where you can get away with it). There will be some steering wheel vibration, but if, at any particular speed, it begins moving from side to side very visibly, the car has the dreaded 'shimmy'.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:59 AM

I always wondered why the strips on the back were shiny chrome but the ones on the top were just dull grey!! So they're SUPPOSED to be chrome huh? Prolly not worth $160 each though...

Chrome strips along the top of the roof- Fade horribly in a short period of time. They come in 2 or 3 piece strips, and the center ones fade substantially faster than the rest of the chromy pieces.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill

What is the cure for this shimmy?
Old 06-16-2007, 09:58 AM

Rich,
The 'cure' for the shimmy, is the little black plastic piece hanging down from the nose of the car. Trim it or remove it altogether. That stops the dready shimmy. Regarding the hub, Ritz, quoted $55 each I believe. He does his own labor though also. Are you a 'hands on' fellow?

Mr. A Ali,
All strips along the roofline are supposed to be chromy. Not crummy. $160 is a bit steep. Our dealership here charges $70 each and install is on you.

Light, My dear friend,
I didn't even consider the Yokohamas and tire size, nice call. I have the SL and have those tires mentioned above. Maybe someone here could offer this nice chap some advice on good tires for the SE.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax
Look for later built '04 and up where most of the issues have been fixed. I haven't had any problems with mine, 2 years and almost 25k miles.
How can you tell if its the later 04 you have?
Old 06-16-2007, 09:15 PM

Max828 - As I mentioned in my post of 5AM Saturday, the build month and year are on the little plate inside the driver door jamb. I would avoid ones built between January 2003 and fall of 2003. The ones built in 2004 seem to be the most trouble-free.

mr_a_ali - No, the sound you hear is not connected to the dreaded shimmy. If I had sound coming from where the roof meets the windshield, I would probably look first at the overhead sunglass compartment; several have had buzzes and rattles in that area.

4MySwee - Well, we seem to share more than friendship; we are both riding on the same tires. And like them.

I'm glad you mentioned the plastic thingie under the front of the car as causing shimmy. I sometimes forget that. That is probably the easiest of all the potential cures for the shimmy. If that fails, the other cures can be difficult - working on/replacing tires/wheels, balance and alignment using the Hunter 9700 machine, tightninng/replacing the steering rack, etc, etc.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rich,
The 'cure' for the shimmy, is the little black plastic piece hanging down from the nose of the car. Trim it or remove it altogether. That stops the dready shimmy. Regarding the hub, Ritz, quoted $55 each I believe. He does his own labor though also. Are you a 'hands on' fellow?

Mr. A Ali,
All strips along the roofline are supposed to be chromy. Not crummy. $160 is a bit steep. Our dealership here charges $70 each and install is on you.

Light, My dear friend,
I didn't even consider the Yokohamas and tire size, nice call. I have the SL and have those tires mentioned above. Maybe someone here could offer this nice chap some advice on good tires for the SE.

I'm considering purchasing an '05. When I test drove it I noticed a slight thud...thud...thud...thud...on the right side passenger at very slow speeds (less than 15 m.p.h.). I could even feel it through the floor board when my fiance was driving. Is this the hub? What is the fix for it?
Old 06-17-2007, 04:48 AM
Learning English...

Looks like this car... sucks, which is made in 05/2003...

Old 06-17-2007, 06:02 AM

but doesnt that one have the 05 auto

oh yah.. also when ur picking it out.. be every detailed when looking a car over.. if they say it has something test it out.. cus u dont want to be screwed over something u forgot to glance over
Old 06-18-2007, 07:04 PM

Rich,

Mr. A Ali,

Light, My dear friend,
Yeah I'm pretty hands on. I race motorcycles so I do my fair share of wrenching. Sounds like all of these things are pretty minor and typical of Nissan.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:08 PM

They really are minor. I believe every gripe listed above has a solution.

Let us know which you chose. I would like to hear the details.....

Swee
Old 06-18-2007, 07:20 PM

hows the tiptronic transmisson on the 6th gens? does it shift immediately or is there a slight delay?
Old 06-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

They really are minor. I believe every gripe listed above has a solution.

Let us know which you chose. I would like to hear the details.....

Swee
I'd like to hear your opinion on my post a few lines up. I have a meeting tomorrow to discuss the deal. I need to know what the problem is that I am having with the right front wheel/tire noise.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:47 AM

Oh, got you. I didn't respond to that, because I am not sure what that is.

No harm is having a goodyear or local tire shop check it out, WHILE ON A TEST DRIVE, not after you've signed and bought it.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:49 AM

Also, get in writing that you will have an extended warranty added, at their expense of course, just to cover your back in the event it is needed. It probably also wouldn't hurt to have Nissan look the car over prior to your getting it.

Did you pull a carfax on it? It doesn't catch everything, but it might give a little insight into said car.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Also, get in writing that you will have an extended warranty added, at their expense of course, just to cover your back in the event it is needed. It probably also wouldn't hurt to have Nissan look the car over prior to your getting it.

Did you pull a carfax on it? It doesn't catch everything, but it might give a little insight into said car.
I appreciate your response. I'll update everyone witht he outcome.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:12 AM

No problem, I'm sorry I couldn't help with the wheel noise.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:39 PM

all this kinda makes me glad i went for my 02 se instead of this:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true
Old 06-19-2007, 01:43 PM

Every model has it's issue, period! Yours isn't above oil consumption, bad coil packs, bose stereo components blowing, rear window falling in.......etc. Every car is prone to its issues.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Seel
I'm considering purchasing an '05. When I test drove it I noticed a slight thud...thud...thud...thud...on the right side passenger at very slow speeds (less than 15 m.p.h.). I could even feel it through the floor board when my fiance was driving. Is this the hub? What is the fix for it?
This sounds like the front passenger strut may be broken, my '04 was doing the same thing. It is at the dealership now, having it replaced. Made the same noise and I couldn't take it anymore. Definitely, have them throw in a service contract at there cost. Also, see if the tires are the factory tires that came with the car, most likely they are, have them throw in all new tires, tell them because these tires are known to crack and it is a danger. I got all new tires on my Maxima.... and good luck.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:06 AM

Agreed ^^^^^^
Old 06-22-2007, 06:30 AM

I just bought a 2007 Maxima SL. In the process, I drove 3 SE's and 3 SL's. Every one of the SE's had the shimmy problem. The SL's were rock solid and took bumps and road cracks better. Handling is not quite as precise but the difference is not major. Believe me, I know...my other car is a Corvette with the Z51 performance & handling package.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:28 PM

What is this lumbar system problem the op mentioned? I have an 06 SE with DPP and the lumbar doesn't seem to stay put in it's setting. When I accelerate, and my back is pushed back, I can feel the lumbar support click and fall back. Is this the recall problem mentioned by the op??
Old 06-22-2007, 08:14 PM

Yes, get it replaced at the dealer under recall situation.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

just got 07

Replaced my 95 with an 07. Quite an upgrade. Car is amazing. Keyless start and entry saves lots of time on a daily basis. All of cars funtions intergrate perfectly with navigation monitor. Smart center console configuration. Front end and hood redesign makes a big difference for 07.

Cons:

Miss my manual.

E-brake boot looks like crap. Does anyone know if there is an alternative?

Slight tourqe steer under heavy acceleration.

Huge gap in front wheel well. Rear not as bad. What do you guys recommend as far as lowering springs to correct this uneveness?

photogus@mac.com

Quick Reply: Shopping 6th gens - what should I know?