6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Fuel cap loose

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 04:01 PM
dla
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Fuel cap loose

I started a thread earlier called “Putting gas in the Max”. Here is the link for your reading pleasure:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=519309

Here is the follow-up:
I’ve tossed the same error code several times - fuel cap loose! The first time it happened I just shrugged. Over one year later it happened again. After I picked my car up I told the service manager it had to be something else. I then explained to him that I’ve always had troubles putting fuel in because the handle kept clicking off. He made a note of it on the computer. I went home and started reading through the fsm to find the loose gas cap error can be many different things.

I waited patiently and a few weeks ago the engine light came on again! I dropped the car off and service manager and I agreed that if the error was a loose gas cap they were to check the fuel system and vindication, they found EVAP system gross leak. They replaced the EVAP canister and control valve.

The last two times at the same gas station, same pump and no problems fueling!
Old 01-04-2014, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by dla
I started a thread earlier called “Putting gas in the Max”. Here is the link for your reading pleasure:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=519309

Here is the follow-up:
I’ve tossed the same error code several times - fuel cap loose! The first time it happened I just shrugged. Over one year later it happened again. After I picked my car up I told the service manager it had to be something else. I then explained to him that I’ve always had troubles putting fuel in because the handle kept clicking off. He made a note of it on the computer. I went home and started reading through the fsm to find the loose gas cap error can be many different things.

I waited patiently and a few weeks ago the engine light came on again! I dropped the car off and service manager and I agreed that if the error was a loose gas cap they were to check the fuel system and vindication, they found EVAP system gross leak. They replaced the EVAP canister and control valve.

The last two times at the same gas station, same pump and no problems fueling!
I had a SES light too for the gas cap code. It would not reset after driving on a long trip. I noticed when I undid the gas cap there was no sound of air being sucked into the tank. This to me meant a leak. The dealer has suggested a new gas cap which I will do and if no change they will do a smoke test. If not the gas gap I suspect the EVAP canister and valve. We will see. The car (08) has 49K miles driven. Is the EVAP system covered under warrantee for longer than the standard warrantee? There has been no drop in performance.

Last edited by Roymg; 01-04-2014 at 07:48 AM.