6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

The New Max

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The New Max

Hello everyone.......its been awhile since i have posted. I am really busy getting ready for my sons wedding on the 21st of this month, but as i was in the dealership talking to my buddy who owns it, he told me that he went to a meeting and they had the new Max there sitting under a cover. The little he does know i am going to share. He was only able to see one part of the car at a time and he says it looks like a BMW. It will have the 3.7 and still no word on FWD,AWD or RWD. He says that this is somthing that Nissan has never built before and it will be a TOP TOP TOP of the line vehicle. He stressed TOP to give me the messege of i should buy one when they come out and trade in mine.........NO WAY!!!!!!! I will have to drive the new one though.

Also while i was there i drove the new altima coupe, WOW!!!!! is all i can say, i still dont care for the CVT tranny but the car got up and boogied.It was a very comfrtable ride and has great handleing. THe inside is pretty small but bigger than the G coupe. I think that this will do a good job of replacing the max as we once knew it as we begin to welcome a new adventure of the Maxima family. The coupe was stickered at just a tad over 32,000 and had every option that can be had. The navi and stereo intergration was pretty cool as i think it was well needed and stray away from a seperate screen and control body. The head unit reminded me of the new Pioneer, D3 i think is the model number and is very easialy replaceable with after market gear. You can tell that Nissan did their listening and research on this coupe...go drive one.....it was a blast!!!!!!

Seez ya around
and dont forget to smile!!!!!

Chef
Old 07-11-2007, 02:14 PM

oh noes! So is the "new" max going to be an 08' or 09' model?
Old 07-11-2007, 02:35 PM
SuPeRmOd

that would be the '09, more likely '10 model.
just in time for me to pay it off
Old 07-11-2007, 03:57 PM

Was your friend able to get any photos of the car?

I'm guessing it won't be an '08 model because if it was, there would have been press releases, and it should have probably shown up at an auto show before it's debut to build up the hype for the car a little bit.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:55 PM

Wait a minute! You mean to tell me that you won't be able to get an Altima couple in a 6 speed? I thought I had one priced out on the website, but maybe that was a 4-door

*EDIT* Never mind, I just checked out the site, and they will offer the 6sp. Phew
Old 07-11-2007, 06:16 PM

No one knows what the Maxima is going to be or exactly when but at least all the info that is coming out is positive
Old 07-12-2007, 12:13 AM

Not only is the info on the 7th gen Maxima positive, but we are probably only 7 to 10 months from arrival on dealer lots (as the '09 Maxima), and likely only 4 or 5 months from the first spy photos.

The 5th generation arrived at dealers in June of 1999 (as a 2000), and I saw spy photos of it in March 1999. The 6th generation arrived at dealers in March of 2003, and I saw spy photos of it in December 2002.

The diesel version of the 7th generation Maxima will probably arrive in 2009 as a 2010 model.

I agree with the poster that said the Altima coupe may end up as a modder's dream. As will the Altima sedan. At some point, I expect Nismo to get really serious about selling all kinds of mods for the Altima, which is becoming Nissan's '4DSC for the masses'. Nissan hopes to sell over 200,000 per year.

By contrast, the last I read, Nissan is positioning the 7th generation Maxima as a high-end flagship with sales around 80,000 per year, and will probably offer no Maxima modding products.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:37 AM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

desel version??? turbo diesel?
Old 07-12-2007, 07:20 AM
JG1

I'm sorry this is off topic but for some reason I can't send a PM or start a new thread...only can reply to threads.

maxchef,

What wheels are those on your max?? They're gorgeous!
Old 07-12-2007, 07:29 AM
aka The Doom Ship

I can't believe Nissan would make an even bigger FWD car. Even harder to believe that a CVT will handle 290 or 300+hp. And I can't see the Max getting the VQ37 any time soon: For 1 there's still more tune to get out of the VQ35, ie the 300hp 350Z, 2nd the Max won't be getting a new engine before the Altima, 3rd expect the Max to get only a 15 or maybe 20 increase in HP.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
I can't believe Nissan would make an even bigger FWD car. Even harder to believe that a CVT will handle 290 or 300+hp. And I can't see the Max getting the VQ37 any time soon: For 1 there's still more tune to get out of the VQ35, ie the 300hp 350Z, 2nd the Max won't be getting a new engine before the Altima, 3rd expect the Max to get only a 15 or maybe 20 increase in HP.

I am not dobting your knowledge here but the rumor is that it WILL have the 3.7 motor and NOT the 3.5. I agree with you totally but thats whats going to happen thus far.......i am just the messenger...LOL!

Chef
Old 07-12-2007, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by JG1
I'm sorry this is off topic but for some reason I can't send a PM or start a new thread...only can reply to threads.

maxchef,

What wheels are those on your max?? They're gorgeous!

Thanks for the compliment.....Donz wheels made them for me.
Look at www.donzwheelz.com they have a great assortment of wheels there.

Thanks,
Chef
Old 07-12-2007, 09:00 AM

ever heard of a detuned version of the VQ37? I'm sure they're gonna make a FWD version of it later on anyway...might as well start in the maxima.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:07 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Doesn't make sense to have a detuned version of the VQ37 when a tuned version of the VQ35 already exists that does the same thing.

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
ever heard of a detuned version of the VQ37? I'm sure they're gonna make a FWD version of it later on anyway...might as well start in the maxima.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:22 AM

They are going to need a LOT more then a 20-30hp boost to stay in the "top end luxury" tier, and that means they def going to need that bigger engine!

Look at the HP of the rest of the class.... I see 320-330s for the hp

Just speculating.... but they better have more then 20hp-30hp, or no 7th for me!
Old 07-12-2007, 09:26 AM

Doesn't make sense to have a detuned version of the VQ37 when a tuned version of the VQ35 already exists that does the same thing.
lol @ you thinking it does the same thing...

keep living in a dream world there, bud.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:05 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Meaning it(VQ35) can produce the same numbers(as a so called detuned VQ37). I didn't think I had to spell it out to you but oh well. Matter of fact, I've seen the G37 dyno numbers and I'm producing more torque than that engine already.

lol @ you thinking it does the same thing...

keep living in a dream world there, bud.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Newbie just Registered

\
Meaning it(VQ35) can produce the same numbers(as a so called detuned VQ37). I didn't think I had to spell it out to you but oh well. Matter of fact, I've seen the G37 dyno numbers and I'm producing more torque than that engine already.
You're not thinking like a car manufacturer. I'm sure the VQ37 in the '09 Max will be tuned for more torque and less HP than in the Z or G, even the M. Nissan will probably be pricing the '09 Max from $30K to just above $40K for fully loaded, since the Altima is over $30 for a fully loaded model. And as for cannibalizing the G sedan, the Max is a much larger car and in a different category with different competitor.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:43 AM
aka The Doom Ship

I don't see the Max getting a VQ37 before the G35 sedan, Infiniti M, nor the Z. So you think all of these cars will have a VQ37 in 1-2 years??? Doubt it.

Originally Posted by RHMax
\

You're not thinking like a car manufacturer. I'm sure the VQ37 in the '09 Max will be tuned for more torque and less HP than in the Z or G, even the M. Nissan will probably be pricing the '09 Max from $30K to just above $40K for fully loaded, since the Altima is over $30 for a fully loaded model. And as for cannibalizing the G sedan, the Max is a much larger car and in a different category with different competitor.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by RHMax
\

I concur..... only thing is, i think if it has less hp then the Z or G would be due to the weight....

And yea they'd have to get those torque #s up! just gimmie the DIESEL!
Old 07-12-2007, 11:06 AM

As I can see you have absolutely no idea how an engine works, I'll just let you keep thinking that. Carry on.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Newbie just Registered

I don't see the Max getting a VQ37 before the G35 sedan, Infiniti M, nor the Z. So you think all of these cars will have a VQ37 in 1-2 years??? Doubt it.
Why not? The VQ37 is already in the G coupe, and most likely in the sedan with the face lift if not before. The '09 Z will also have VQ37 (probably higher out put than the G) so the '09 Max won't get it first in the Nissan line; and in the next year or two, Nissan may phase out VQ35 for North America market all together to cut costs. Nissan is going to have a big push with their 50th anniversary line up.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:36 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Just like you have no idea what a "detuned VQ37" is because it doesn't exist. You have no argument hence your cop out.

As I can see you have absolutely no idea how an engine works, I'll just let you keep thinking that. Carry on.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:13 PM

They may not put the VQ37 in there at first, maybe start out with a VQ35HR and then later on introduce a 7.5 gen with a VQ37. Kinda like they did with the 5th gen max.

...just a thought.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:27 PM

I doubt that VQ35HR will make it into maxima: 1) it's a high rev engine, doesnt match maxima's luxo-smooth character, 2) it may not work well CVT system.
I buy detuned 3.7L idea, wild guess: 3.7+AWD setup from murano.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:34 PM

Just like you have no idea what a "detuned VQ37" is because it doesn't exist. You have no argument hence your cop out.
You saying that the ADVERTISED peak hp/tq ratings define what an engine is makes you the ingorant one here, and as I said before you have no clue what you're talking about. There is more to an engine than 'output' as you so blindly put it. The VQ37 has a vastly superior block to the VQ35DE and a much higher level of technology. The strength of the VQ37VHR's girdle (which iirc is similar to if not the same as the VQ35HR) and VVEL (variable valve event and lift) alone makes the VQ37 something that the VQ35 could never match. Not to mention all the other changes to the engine. Why don't you compare dynos between the VQ37 and the VQ35DE and see which has a flatter torque curve, which makes power to redline, and which forms more overall area under the curve. You think nissan is going to release this technology and NOT spread it across the whole line? It'll mainly be the RWD vehicles at first, but sooner or later, the VQ35DE will no longer be used, just like the VQ30 before it.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by SmokeNismo
They may not put the VQ37 in there at first, maybe start out with a VQ35HR and then later on introduce a 7.5 gen with a VQ37. Kinda like they did with the 5th gen max.

...just a thought.
That may be true as well. But there's no way they're keeping the VQ35DE for the reasons I listed above.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:56 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Never said any of that bull you accused me of saying. Just as peak hp/tq doesn't define an engine's(performance) neither does it's technology. An engine could have all of the latest technological advances and still have low output.

You claim to have so much engine knowledge but lack plain common sense.

You saying that the ADVERTISED peak hp/tq ratings define what an engine is makes you the ingorant one here, and as I said before you have no clue what you're talking about. There is more to an engine than 'output' as you so blindly put it. The VQ37 has a vastly superior block to the VQ35DE and a much higher level of technology. The strength of the VQ37VHR's girdle (which iirc is similar to if not the same as the VQ35HR) and VVEL (variable valve event and lift) alone makes the VQ37 something that the VQ35 could never match. Not to mention all the other changes to the engine. Why don't you compare dynos between the VQ37 and the VQ35DE and see which has a flatter torque curve, which makes power to redline, and which forms more overall area under the curve. You think nissan is going to release this technology and NOT spread it across the whole line? It'll mainly be the RWD vehicles at first, but sooner or later, the VQ35DE will no longer be used, just like the VQ30 before it.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:00 PM

Never said any of that bull you accused me of saying. Just as peak hp/tq doesn't define an engine's(performance) neither does it's technology. An engine could have all of the latest technological advances and still have low output.

You claim to have so much engine knowledge but lack plain common sense.
lol this one tops the cake. Arguing in the 6th gen forum is like arguing with a special person. You feel sorry that they know so little, so you just have to let them continue thinking whatever they want. That's fine, no matter to me. But I definitely wasn't spewing any technical stuff on purpose as I knew you wouldn't understand so if you think I have 'so much engine knowledge' just from what I said you're worse off than I originally thought.

And for the record, in this quote you said EXACTLY what I accused you of, so don't try to play it like you didn't.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:28 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Oh believe me, both you and I know you lack engine knowledge. I wasn't impressed at all by anything you ever said. And my quote stands true; I am producing more torque than a G37 and a VQ35 can produce the same numbers a "detuned VQ37".

You wanna be picky: I'm not only producing more peak torque I'm producing more torque across MY RPM RANGE than a G37!

You lose again.

lol this one tops the cake. Arguing in the 6th gen forum is like arguing with a special person. You feel sorry that they know so little, so you just have to let them continue thinking whatever they want. That's fine, no matter to me. But I definitely wasn't spewing any technical stuff on purpose as I knew you wouldn't understand so if you think I have 'so much engine knowledge' just from what I said you're worse off than I originally thought.

And for the record, in this quote you said EXACTLY what I accused you of, so don't try to play it like you didn't.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:30 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Shall I pull up my dyno sheet and make you look as dumb as you sound? LOL

Oh believe me, both you and I know you lack engine knowledge. I wasn't impressed at all by anything you ever said. And my quote stands true; I am producing more torque than a G37 and a VQ35 can produce the same numbers a "detuned VQ37".

You wanna be picky: I'm not only producing more peak torque I'm producing more torque across MY RPM RANGE than a G37!

You lose again.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:17 PM

When Nissan switched to a 3.0 engine with the release of the 2nd generation Maxima (1985 model), the curb weight was between 3000 and 3100 pounds.

When the 5th generation Maxima arrived as a 2000 model, it weighed (depending on tranny, etc) between 3100 and 3300 pounds. So the Maxima gained very little weight during a fifteen year span.

When the 6th generation Maxima arrived, it weighed (depending on tranny, etc) between 3400 and 3500 pounds.

With the '07 modifications (switching to a CVT), the Maxima weighs just under 3600 pounds.

I expect the redesigned, larger 7th generation '09 Maxima to weigh between 3700 and 3800 pounds.

Sure, the VQ35 can easily be upped to 300HP or more. Nissan may well go this route. But if they meant what they said about the 7th generation really getting back to the Maxima's sporting roots, I would think, considering the ever-increasing weight and size of the vehicle, the change to the VQ37 may well be made with the '09.

But of course the decision is not mine to make.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:38 PM

ok here's the funnie thing. i have a friend that works for Consumer Reports that specialize in the automotive division...and her bosses had a silimiar meeting with nissan execs and CEOs...who may i add are white...and not japanese which is still bothering me...for some reason. i think it bothed me because she said everybody that was there on the executive and R&D team was white and not a single asian was there lol.

and here is the thing that she's told me. nissan/infiniti company is creating a brand new engine in the VQ37...thats obvious. we've all heard and seen reports on it. now here's the thing. the new nissan line is still haveing the maxima as its flagship sedan because of its history and nature. however nissan is planning on suppporting that flagship w/ an OPTIONAL 3.7L engine...which from what she says the execs and CEOs are saying its going to be a RWD 3.7L just like its infiniti counter-part. but here's another kicker. its will posting out lower numbers then its 3.7L counter-part in the infinitis. ie ex infiniti g37 marked at 330 HP...nissan maxima 3.7L ( > 330 hp) however chances are still putting 300+ hp.

they were told that the max would be a RWD. and that what is going to separate the G37 coupe from the rest of the pack...is the version that apparently has already gotten a 99% "Go" is the G37 Turbo AWD which IS expected to be 500+ hp. orginal idea was that it was to be put up against the BMW M5.

again she mentions that the nissan/infiniti company seem to be pushing more towards the infiniti concepts rather than the nissans. i felt kinda bad...lolxz but thats the 411 thats i've gotten from my friend. and i've heard talks about that g37 awd turbo. so i don't know.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Nightmare = Reality

I think they need to put the car on a diet, manage the body lean a HECK of a lot better(maybe some aggressively tuned magnetic ride control?) and if they manage to put that with the VQ35HR and a 6sp auto a la GM/FORD(face it guys, we're never getting a stick again, but a badass multispeed auto still may be in the wings) and I'd have no qualms dropping my 03 for an 09 SE(i hope to GOD they go back to trim-specific suspension tuning)

3400lbs and 310HP? Banzai! the max is back!
Old 07-13-2007, 03:57 AM
aka The Doom Ship

I wish the Max wouldn't gain any more weight either but then again the new G37 weighs over 3700lbs.

I have a serious problem with American(built and designed) imports(in company name only). The VQ engine is starting to be the car's only saving grace.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:43 AM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by JG1
Newbie, read here:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=413179
and here:
http://forums.maxima.org/
Old 07-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxchef, your Maxmia looks great what type of wheels are on in in your lastest pictures in the photobucket? Looking to add an new set on my 04. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 07-13-2007, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by MisterSparkle
and here is the thing that she's told me. nissan/infiniti company is creating a brand new engine in the VQ37...thats obvious. we've all heard and seen reports on it. now here's the thing. the new nissan line is still haveing the maxima as its flagship sedan because of its history and nature. however nissan is planning on suppporting that flagship w/ an OPTIONAL 3.7L engine...which from what she says the execs and CEOs are saying its going to be a RWD 3.7L just like its infiniti counter-part. but here's another kicker. its will posting out lower numbers then its 3.7L counter-part in the infinitis. ie ex infiniti g37 marked at 330 HP...nissan maxima 3.7L ( > 330 hp) however chances are still putting 300+ hp.

they were told that the max would be a RWD.
Then again, this is the same company that said b4 the G that it will have "More then 300 hp". 30hp is more like "ALOT MORE" to me! I can live with 320ish....

RWD...... That would seal the deal for me, i know the style will be A+++++ so no fret there... But i think i'm going to wait for 2010..... the first year almost always gets shafted....

I'm assuming they were white because maybe they were just the North America branch of Nissan.... idk...

And that G35.... i wouldn't be surprised if it's G37 only next year, I don't imagine them breaking up the models like that "G35" or "G37"..... as of now it's "G coupe" or "G Sedan", so they can easily swap engines for this coming model...
Old 07-13-2007, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by MisterSparkle
ok here's the funnie thing. i have a friend that works for Consumer Reports that specialize in the automotive division...and her bosses had a silimiar meeting with nissan execs and CEOs...who may i add are white...and not japanese which is still bothering me...for some reason. i think it bothed me because she said everybody that was there on the executive and R&D team was white and not a single asian was there lol.

they were told that the max would be a RWD. and that what is going to separate the G37 coupe from the rest of the pack...is the version that apparently has already gotten a 99% "Go" is the G37 Turbo AWD which IS expected to be 500+ hp. orginal idea was that it was to be put up against the BMW M5.

again she mentions that the nissan/infiniti company seem to be pushing more towards the infiniti concepts rather than the nissans. i felt kinda bad...lolxz but thats the 411 thats i've gotten from my friend. and i've heard talks about that g37 awd turbo. so i don't know.

I stopped reading at "Consumer Reports".
Old 07-13-2007, 01:38 PM
JG1

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
thanks! I didn't see that

Quick Reply: The New Max