6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Goodyear RSA Tire Refunds?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 07:25 AM

Goodyear RSA Tire Refunds?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I haven't been on the forum for a good while, and a search didn't turn it up.

At a gathering of my wife's family last night, one of her cousins who owns an '05 Max told me she got a letter saying Goodyear will repay any money spent to replace defective RSA's. Unfortunately for me, she couldn't supply more details and they live in another town, so I hated to push it.

Like many of you, I had the splitting problem with the RSA's on my '04 Max, and I got them replaced. I did have to fork over about $150 as I recall, and if they are refunding it, I'll certainly be willing to take it.

So - has anyone here gotten the letter? Can you supply some details on how you go about getting the refund? Has anyone actually gotten the refund? A copy of the letter would be excellent, if you could scan it and post it.

Thanks for any info on this.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:35 AM

They are refunding or replacing the tires with a certain dot number. If you call your local goodyear they will be able to help you . I thought it was only for th 05's with the factory 18" RSA!
Old 08-20-2007, 08:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I got the same letter. I have an '04 SE. The letter is for the factory 18s I had on the car.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:17 AM

try this post, it has a good bit of info AND a link to the scanned letter on post #25.. the scan doesn't have a necessary page for the recall, so it's only good for a read, but still very helpful. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=526203

if the link doesn't work, I can repost it, as I have it saved around here somewhere...

the recall was on the tire, so it doesn't matter what year car you have.. but the date code on the tires was from 2004, so more than likely, they'd be on 2004's and early 2005's....
Old 08-20-2007, 09:50 AM

04SE

I didn't get a letter, but I read on these forums about the recall. I went to goodyear and had cracking on 3/4 tires, and that's because one was replaced recently. So i got 3 new nexan's for free and paid for one ($220+balancing).

Good luck!
Old 08-20-2007, 09:54 AM

yes. i bought my car bout 8 months ago an 04 SE. i got the letter and it also shows a picture of tires of what they should look like....looks like slash marks on the side walls of the tire. i went to a good year place and they told me that i could have all 4 replaced. they looked bad the guy said. they put gooyear rsa's back on the car. i asked if i can get something else and the guy was like no. rsa's are EXCELLENT tires....so i got 4 tires for free. the bill was like 1089 dollars if i were to have bought them. what a rip !!! these tires suck...after these wear out im going to just buy some continentals..but yea if you have that letter all u do is go to a place where they have goodyears and they should get replaced
Old 08-20-2007, 11:31 AM
wrj

I had splits and bought 4 new Toyo Versados before I got the Goodyear letter. Once I got the Goodyear letter, I wrote back and sent the form in. I had the tire place state in writing that the RSAs had splits. Goodyear paid me in full for the Toyo's.

I have an '04 SE.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:35 PM

so does anyone know if goodyear will payback tires changed (no complints when i changed mine ...i.e i did not see the cracks ... i just changed mine after 75K....

but now i see them (cracks in my spare)..... so can i get them all paid for or just the spare replaced as per the letter?

thks
Old 08-21-2007, 06:38 AM

all they will do is replace whatever is cracked or damaged. they wont give you money for them. they will take the bad ones off and put on new ones..
Old 08-21-2007, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by tubells
so does anyone know if goodyear will payback tires changed (no complints when i changed mine ...i.e i did not see the cracks ... i just changed mine after 75K....

but now i see them (cracks in my spare)..... so can i get them all paid for or just the spare replaced as per the letter?

thks
I'm not b****ing or anything, just informing, as I'd love to get some money out of Goodyear too... but, if you got 75k out of a set of tires, that's the life of two sets of tires, normally.. you definitely got your money's worth..

I don't think they'll refund you anything for the old tires, but it might be worth sending in a copy of the receipt to try it.. as for the spare, I'd think they'll replace it as long as it fits the bill.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by falloutboy35
all they will do is replace whatever is cracked or damaged. they wont give you money for them. they will take the bad ones off and put on new ones..
the letter clearly states to send in your receipt of purchase stating that the tires were replaced due to cracks, and they'll send you a check, as long as it fits the recall parameters. so yes, they'll send you money...
Old 08-21-2007, 01:09 PM

Id like to get cash back for mine, slim chance I assume...lol. I never got any letter and I bought my replacement tires on ebay so cant prove anything to them. I might be going back to 18s soon though and wouldnt mind a free set of tires, even if they are RSAs.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Glude
Id like to get cash back for mine, slim chance I assume...lol. I never got any letter and I bought my replacement tires on ebay so cant prove anything to them. I might be going back to 18s soon though and wouldnt mind a free set of tires, even if they are RSAs.
yeah.. the new RS-A's shouldn't crack... however, the traction still sucks.. but free is free, so it's hard to complain.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:22 PM

Definately, however since I didnt get a letter I dunno how to go about saying I want 4 new RSAs..lol. Our local goodyear plant went through a crisis and is closing this year so maybe they would hook me up with some if I explained the past problems and why I had to replace, not like they're gonna be selling tires outa that one anymore anyways. haha
Old 08-27-2007, 07:44 PM

thks ritz...... i dont expect to get anything other than my spare replaced.......but i will try ure suggestion abt sending the receipt.... but goodyear is goodyear !!!
Old 09-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My son blew out one of these junk tires at 70mph yesterday. When I went to rescue him off the side of the highway, I couldn't believe what I saw. I've been in the automotive industry for over 20 years and have NEVER seen a tire come apart like this. It completely split the outer sidewall all the way around the tire.

I received the recall letter a few months ago but his tires were made after the recall period. Apparently this is because Goodyear THINKS they solved the problem and didn't need to recall these tires after a certain production date. Well, obviously they've miscalculated which means NOBODY is safe on these tires.

I went to a local Goodyear dealership today where the jerkwipe behind the counter tried to blame it on underinflation. I quickly lost control of my temper and called him every name that begins with the letters f, b, and s. Heck, I even included them all in one name (**** For Brains). If the tire failed due to underinflation, there would be bruising of the inner and outer sidewalls which there wasn't. I feel pretty confident in my knowledge regarding the automotive world and when someone tries to blame a major safety screw up by Goodyear on the consumer, it pisses me of.

The guy told me he couldn't help me because the tire production # fell outside the warranty. I told him Goodyear needs to recall their recall and start over because there are tires out there on the road that have the same exact problem. They just don't want to admit it yet.

This problem is going to, if it hasn't already, end up killing someone and then they'll say "Sorry about your loss, but we'll be glad to give you a prorated new tire."

I got the phone number for Goodyear's customer service line and have began planning my attempt at redemption. If Goodyear does not agree to replace ALL four tires, I will go to the local media. There has already been one news station (google - Maxima Goodyear tire recall) that's done a report on this. I don't like having to do stuff like this but it's the principle.

Our tires showed absolutely NO cracking at all. The recall letter said to check the sidewalls for cracking. The other three tires that are currently in one piece, show absolutely no signs of cracking. But obviously, that doesn't mean anything. They can blow apart anyplace at anytime with no warning at all.

Get these tires OFF your cars NOW before this happens to you.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by BKlab
My son blew out one of these junk tires at 70mph yesterday. When I went to rescue him off the side of the highway, I couldn't believe what I saw. I've been in the automotive industry for over 20 years and have NEVER seen a tire come apart like this. It completely split the outer sidewall all the way around the tire.

I received the recall letter a few months ago but his tires were made after the recall period. Apparently this is because Goodyear THINKS they solved the problem and didn't need to recall these tires after a certain production date. Well, obviously they've miscalculated which means NOBODY is safe on these tires.

I went to a local Goodyear dealership today where the jerkwipe behind the counter tried to blame it on underinflation. I quickly lost control of my temper and called him every name that begins with the letters f, b, and s. Heck, I even included them all in one name (**** For Brains). If the tire failed due to underinflation, there would be bruising of the inner and outer sidewalls which there wasn't. I feel pretty confident in my knowledge regarding the automotive world and when someone tries to blame a major safety screw up by Goodyear on the consumer, it pisses me of.

The guy told me he couldn't help me because the tire production # fell outside the warranty. I told him Goodyear needs to recall their recall and start over because there are tires out there on the road that have the same exact problem. They just don't want to admit it yet.

This problem is going to, if it hasn't already, end up killing someone and then they'll say "Sorry about your loss, but we'll be glad to give you a prorated new tire."

I got the phone number for Goodyear's customer service line and have began planning my attempt at redemption. If Goodyear does not agree to replace ALL four tires, I will go to the local media. There has already been one news station (google - Maxima Goodyear tire recall) that's done a report on this. I don't like having to do stuff like this but it's the principle.

Our tires showed absolutely NO cracking at all. The recall letter said to check the sidewalls for cracking. The other three tires that are currently in one piece, show absolutely no signs of cracking. But obviously, that doesn't mean anything. They can blow apart anyplace at anytime with no warning at all.

Get these tires OFF your cars NOW before this happens to you.
This is exactly what happened to my tire. Driving on the freeway doing approx 70MPH in the third lane and the tire blew. The tire tread was split completely off the side wall, and caused a little damage. Just sent all my insurance info and receipt for two tires I had already replaced. Waiting for a response. Funny thing is that the counter jockey at the goodyear I took my car to already knew about the recall and didn't ask twice and immediately put new shoes on my ride. No hassle on bit.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:25 PM

Got the letter faxed in my paperwork - They paied over $800 back for my replacements. Got the check in one week. GOOD DEAL!!!!!! I've had my 04max since 8/1/03 102K going strong
Old 09-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 07 max se with those junky RSA Goodyear tires, so I went to the Goodyear dealer and said these tires are the worst tires I have ever owned. I told them that they were slick on wet streets and didn't liked how they performed. They called Goodyear and I got them to exchange them for some Goodyear F1 a/s.This cost me 113.00 dollars. The car had 10,000 miles on it.Good deal.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:18 PM

If you got a blow out on the RSA, I would file a complaint with the NHTSA. They may eventually get GoodYear to do a recall. They love to hide behind the 'underinflated' tire excuse.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Damn Goodyear bastards would finally offer a refund after I dumped mine!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 11:42 AM

Can i ask u guys a question ? good year EAGLE F1 (ALL -SEASON) are they good? they are suppossed to bypass Michilan pilot sports etc..... any body gotz? or know about them , i would APPRECIATE it thanx guys!
Old 09-06-2007, 09:28 PM

I don't understand how people with Maximas that have tires OUTSIDE the recall dates have been getting letters, and mine were DEFINITELY within the dates, and I haven't received a damn thing... it's starting to **** me off, cause I can't afford this crap right now...
Old 09-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, to start off..I just bought an 04 Maxima SE 3 days ago, I still haven't taken ownership of it yet but I was wondering what to keep in mind when I go pick it up from the dealer next week. The tires, I checked, they seem to be the Goodyear's everyone has been reporting problems about...does this make me eligable for the swap by Goodyear?...I live in Toronto and is wondering if this is a US only type of fix. If anyone could help out that would be great! Thanks. Any advice on what to look for...what the dealership should have already done to the car (fluid topups..oil change) would be appreciated. PS:This is my first car, so im really pretty much lost as hell. PPS I tried posting a new topic but I guess since I am a new member with 0 posts, its disabled. Sorry to post on this topic but it was as relevant as I could find. Cheers.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:57 PM

I never got a letter (purchased used from non-nissan dealership) but went to the goodyear dealership with the info I aquired on here and a letter someone scanned/posted and got my tires replaced for free. The goodyear guy at the shop inspected the tires finding the obvious cracks, called the main office and dealt with it all with no problems. Spent $84 on an alignment, because I asked them to do it for me. If anyones in NY, I went to the goodyear in Riverdale (Bronx) and recomend them. For all those who haven't recieved the letter if your not original owner or didnt purchase from Nissan dealership doubtfull you'll get one. Just take it to Goodyear and they will inspect the tires and replace for free if you fit the criterea.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:06 PM

I got the letter too. Had them check the tires and no cracks- damn I wanted new tires too. The RSA's are awfull tires, loud, terrible traction, but they are wearing well. I kept the letter, maybe they will crack soon.. The new RSA's are suppose to be better.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

After 11 weeks and sending Goodyear all of the required information on my 2004 Nissan Maxima(I got a letter)and 2 tire blowouts-one at 19000 miles and one at 24000 miles, my claim was rejected in that I did not show proof that the RSAs were adjusted for sidewall cracking. I took the last two tires to an authorized Goodyear dealer who verified the sidewall cracking, sent in names and #s of people who would verify the cracking and still got denied. I replaced my 4 tires with Nanskung at a cost of only $600 in total. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA and everyone at the Goodyear phone numbers I have in my letter give me the runaround. I even took pictures of the cracked sidewalls. Does anyone know what I can do next? Thanks.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by tubells

thks
FWIW....I had already replaced mine after 60k and 1 sidewall flat. I sent a letter and invoice for my replacements and was paid in full today!!(about a month after filing) I thought for sure I would be denied or pro rated due to the 60k I got out of them. Even at 60k I still had at least another year worth of tread.

I've been pretty fortunate with tires....I got my Firestone's replaced at 50k on my Explorer
Old 10-07-2007, 08:41 PM

Great thread for info. Keep it coming guys.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:30 AM

So what dot number will Goodyear replace?
Old 10-14-2007, 08:11 AM

To all of those who sent in paperwork asking for a refund, how long did this process take to get some kind of response back? I sent my letter + receipt probably about 2 months ago, and haven't heard anything back at all yet.

Thanks.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:03 PM

I'm still waiting patiently for my refund. According to the customer service# 1.800.321.2136 the recording states to wait 10-12 weeks from the date that they receive the paperwork. Tomorrow will be the 10th week mark for me. Hoping I get some money returned to me since I replaced those RSA's at only Thirty-something thousand miles.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:56 AM

in my post I believe I said it took "about a month", BUT, after looking into it further, I sent letter approx 7-17 and received check on 10-6. That's more like 11 weeks.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:40 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by lastonestanding
So what dot number will Goodyear replace?

You need to look at last 4 digits and they are recalling 3104 and earlier

Meaning that they are recalling RSA build before 31st week of 2004

Hope this helps.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:11 PM

thanks xoomer.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:37 PM

Hey here is my story tho on this " great customer service " I recived from the Goodyear location over here in Dallas, TX right off Hillcrest. When I went up there on Sat. I stayed up there for three hours for them to tell me that they don't have my tire size and they will have to order me some that fit. He(tech) said that they will be there Monday. So after work I show up to get the tires put on my car; the tech manager said its 6:06pm we close at 7pm I'm not going to do it today there are people in front......I WAS LIKE WHAT I WAS HERE FOR THREE HOURS ON SAT. AND TODAY YOU TELL ME THERE ARE PEOPLE IN FRONT OF ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why does it always seem like anything to do with nissan service wither its changing an A/C hose or getting tires changed its a problem? Sorry for the tread jack but I had to vent......
Old 10-15-2007, 06:35 PM

Hmmmm.....I have two RSAs on the rears (215/55/R16) and I have to say that I am unhappy with the tires. When I bought my 4th gen in January it came with Capital N5000 tires in the front and two crappy RSAs in the rear.

None the less, the dealer and my mechanic told me that the RSAs were "chopped" or unevenly worn. They make horrible noise and the sidewalls are not in the best shape either. They still have decent tread on them (probably a little more than 50%). Just wondering if the recall is for all RSAs or just the OE ones on 6th gens. After reading this thread, I am a little concerned, as I have put ~8000 miles on the car since then....and am mainly concerned with a blowout.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:28 AM
This Space for Rent

i bought my 04 SE last week. when i had it up on my buddys lift today, i noticed that all 4 RSA's inner sidewalls were split. i went to a local 'just tires' and after about 10 minutes of phone calls by the manager- she asked if i would like the tires installed 'now' or would i like to return another day.

im the 2nd owner and the car has 24K miles on it... im very happy that im having about $1000 worth of tires installed at no cost.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Incognito

bought my 04se 3 weeks ago. Called good year today about the recall and the cs rep i spoke with was a complete idiot. I asked him 10 times what the dot number should be and he just gave me the run around. I cant crawl under my car atm to see the dot # but im gonna go up to a local good year shop this weekend and have mine looked at to be sure. Car has 36k miles on it now, tires have like 65%+ tread left so im curious if they were already replaced... hmm
Old 10-16-2007, 01:32 PM
MAXIN' ON

I have an 07 with the rsa"s and they are dying fast. THey handle like crap, think I can get them to switch to something better?

Quick Reply: Goodyear RSA Tire Refunds?