6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Problems With Car Starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 10:30 AM

Problems With Car Starting

I took my car to the dealership because they had a special for a oil changes. They told me i needed a new battery and a list of other stuff. Then he said there was a recall on the electrical system for the seat or something so they replaced that. Now when i start the car it comes on and then shuts right off. I have to tap the gas to keep it from going off, but once its on it stays on with no problems after that. The dealership told me i would have to pay $87 to have them check it out even though i never had this problem before i dropped it off. Does anyone have a clue as to what the problem could be? thanks
Old 08-25-2007, 12:21 PM
SmokinMaxSE

First, don't take it back to that dealer. Is your Max still under warranty? Auto Zone will charge your battery for free if you can't get a new one right now. My battery drains if I use any electrical stuff like the radio or headlights while the car is off. If they were playing with your seat with the car not running then that probably drained on your battery.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:41 PM

its not under warranty anymore. i had a spare new battery that i already put in it. the battery is working fine. it starts fine, just cuts off real quick.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:00 AM

If the car starts in a normal manner, the engine cutting off has absolutely nothing to do with the battery, and I would be surprised if there was anything wrong with the battery.

There was a recall for the wiring harness under the driver's seat, and that was something they were correct to do. But several here on the Org have had that done improperly by the dealer, with some ending up with grease on the leather seating surface, and others had cuts and nicks in their upholstery.

If you never had this problem before this trip to the dealer, it would seem it might have something to do with the electrical work they did. Depending on what was done that causes this, it would have me worried about what other problems that are not readily noticable may also be happening due to what is almost surely their mistake of some kind.

You should be fine with your battery, but in a tough spot with the engine dying. I would try very hard to have the dealer fix the problem he caused, and would probably succeed with my dealer. But then he and many of his service folks have been my friends for over a decade.

If you insist to the dealer the problem was never there before they worked on the car, he may be willing to cut you some slack. If he won't at least offer to pay half the diagnostic fee, then I would be looking for another dealer. With the warranty gone, you could even consider non-Nissan service shops. I wish you luck.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If the dealer had the battery disconnected for too long (while fixing the seat harness), they should have gone through some steps for the ECU : Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning, Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning and Idle Air Volume Learning.

The ECU will re-learn as time goes on (drive like a mad man for a few days).

Check the posts. Some members have written the steps on how to do this or just go back to the dealer.

From the manual:

Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning
DESCRIPTION
Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning is an operation to learn the fully released position of the accelerator pedal by monitoring the accelerator pedal position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness connector of accelerator pedal position sensor or ECM is disconnected.
OPERATION PROCEDURE
1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch OFF wait at least 10 seconds.
4. Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn ignition switch OFF wait at least 10 seconds.

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning
DESCRIPTION
Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning is an operation to learn the fully closed position of the throttle valve by
monitoring the throttle position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness connector of
electric throttle control actuator or ECM is disconnected.
OPERATION PROCEDURE
1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch ON.
3. Turn ignition switch OFF wait at least 10 seconds.
Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

Idle Air Volume Learning
DESCRIPTION
Idle Air Volume Learning is an operation to learn the idle air volume that keeps each engine within the specific range. It must be performed under any of the following conditions:
_ Each time electric throttle control actuator or ECM is replaced.
_ Idle speed or ignition timing is out of specification.

PREPARATION
Before performing Idle Air Volume Learning, make sure that all of the following conditions are satisfied.
Learning will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are missed for even a moment.
_ Battery voltage: More than 12.9V (At idle)
_ Engine coolant temperature: 70 - 100°C (158 - 212°F)
_ In Park or neutral
_ Electric load switch: OFF
(Air conditioner, headlamp, rear window defogger off)
_ Steering wheel: Neutral (Straight-ahead position)
_ Vehicle speed: Stopped
_ Transmission: Warmed-up
For A/T models, drive vehicle for 10 minutes.

OPERATION PROCEDURE
NOTE:
_ It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.
_ It is impossible to switch the diagnostic mode when an accelerator pedal position sensor circuit has a malfunction.
1. Perform EC-90, "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning" .
2. Perform EC-90, "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning" .
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Check that all items listed under the topic PREPARATION (previously mentioned) are in good order.
5. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
6. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.
7. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.
a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops
blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL turned ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:29 AM

Thanks for the info. i'm going to take it up there and get it taken care of.