6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Performance Chip

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 07:05 PM

Performance Chip

Hey whaddya you guys think of these? Also, how many of you are running chips and has it made much of a diff?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...141139673&rd=1
Old 08-25-2007, 07:27 PM

How the **** can it fit 88-06 Maxima, Altima and Sentra? I smell bull**** galore!
Old 08-25-2007, 07:29 PM

Only "chip" available for the 6th gen is Technosquare, or you can get the 350Z E-Manage and get an extra harness to put it in the 6th gen, OR get some sort of AFC, such as VAFC, SAFC or NEO.

If you are looking at that ebay crap, you may as well have a "turbonator" on your car too!

dan
Old 08-25-2007, 07:32 PM

I think they are just saying they offer a module for those years of Maxima. Not "one fits all these years" type deal. Anyways, you're talking so far over my head on your 2nd post that I don't have a clue LOL.

Just looking for some honest feedback on this item though. Not just a "this is crap, buy something more expensive" type post.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Newbie just Registered

For $30, you can try it and let us know. My guess is this thing adds a little more fuel, if it works at all. Research about products Prjct mentioned. It will show you that this speed chip is most likely BS.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:19 AM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

HAHAH ebay chips HAHAHAH Save your cash LOL

Dan is correct... its crap... get the technosquare work done... its like 500 and u pair it w/ an intake/header/exhaust your ride will fly...

Good luck and wlecome to maxima.org
Old 08-26-2007, 02:15 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Got anymore info on the technosquare?
Old 08-26-2007, 06:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Mack
Thanks for the info guys. Got anymore info on the technosquare?
Here is their website Cost is like $500 and you have to send your ECU chip to them, so your car is down for a couple of days. I also believe you have to dyno the car first and send in the A/F map? for your best results.

I have also read it's better to do you other mods first and then get the ECU flashed. I've not had that done. I opted for the Apexi SAFCII, which has now been upgraded and replaced by the Apexi NEO

Have you done anything to your car yet?
Old 08-26-2007, 08:38 AM

A lot of these 'chip' are just a resistor that fool the ECU thinking the engine is colder that it really is, tricking the ECU to send a richer mixture. You can get the same info free off the internet. Some kit will fool the ambient air temperature (which is more difficult for the Max). Others hook up on the wire leading to the engine water temperature. I suspect you could get 1 or 2 hp more from a richer air/fuel mixture.

Technosquare can actually reprogram your Max ECU to use more aggressive parameters similar to what they use for the 350Z. Read older posts. There has been lots of discussions on the ECU mods.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:44 AM

Sweet mod there Apollos. The only performance upgrades I've done so far are installed Magnaflow Mufflers and an Injen CAI yesterday. So only other thing I was considering was possibly doing some perf chip action. But yeah, makes sense you'd want to do the other stuff before modding the ECU or putting in a chip. Thanks guys.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:12 AM
dot dot dot ...

Cripes Apollos, +13%? How lean were you?

Gentlemen, we cannot forget UTEC.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:19 PM

Heres some feedback off that eBay..

-makes my D4 light blink and makes my car shift too early.
-would not work-engine light would not go off till removed-returned for refund
-The chip screwed up my car.
-ITS JUST A VARIABLE RESISTOR! BUY THIS AT RADIOSHACK FOR 30 CENTS! DONT BUY!!!!!
-do not buy not made percar this is a diode and can cause over heating damage

From the looks, i'd say it's fake.. but that's just me =D
Old 08-26-2007, 01:22 PM

Oh wow, thanks for researching it a bit further Whitem. Yeah I'll stay away from this one. Glad I have you guys to keep me straight.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
Only "chip" available for the 6th gen is Technosquare, or you can get the 350Z E-Manage and get an extra harness to put it in the 6th gen, OR get some sort of AFC, such as VAFC, SAFC or NEO.

If you are looking at that ebay crap, you may as well have a "turbonator" on your car too!

dan

vafc? what are you retarded?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My man, go with something with a name to it. If everything else is $500 and you are paying $30 off ebay its pretty obvious something is wrong.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:40 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by moforose3
Are you retarded?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Actually several members successfully installed the VAFC because before NEO, it had more tuning points than the SAFC-II
Old 08-27-2007, 08:57 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by chernmax
Actually several members successfully installed the VAFC because before NEO, it had more tuning points than the SAFC-II
It sitll does , unless someone an manipulate it like the VAFC.

24 vs 16 (NEO)
Old 08-27-2007, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
It sitll does , unless someone an manipulate it like the VAFC.

24 vs 16 (NEO)
I'm sure that all of you remember BrianCopeland. Well he joined the 6thgenmaxima forums and he has told us that the NEO has never worked for his car and when he installed the SAFC, it worked perfectly fine, so a word to the wise...DON'T get the NEO for a 6th gen.

"Quote:
Brian, the Neo should work on our cars, I know you had problems with it but it's basically an SAFCII mated to a VAFC until, kind of a two in one. If the person who installed the Neo is going to install the SAFCII, you may have the same problem. He should be able to get it to work. I am talking to my mechanic to see if he will make the wiring schemes he used available.

We got the SAFCII hooked up to my car last weekend using the same wiring scheme we attempted with the NEO. It would appear that the NEO DOES NOT work with our cars for some reason. The SAFCII appears to be working just fine. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I get the car to Topspeed for tuning on the dyno to see what kind of gains I get. In the meantime, the SAFCII looks good (I got the black one). I'll post the charts when I get them and perhaps a picture of it installed in the meantime."

EDIT: Read about 5 posts down for more TRUE info

Good way to start off your n00bness here!
Old 08-27-2007, 09:15 AM
dot dot dot ...

I'm sure that all of you remember BrianCopeland. Well he joined the 6thgenmaxima forums and he has told us that the NEO has never worked for his car and when he installed the SAFC, it worked perfectly fine, so a word to the wise...DON'T get the NEO for a 6th gen.
Word of advice, don't EVER listen to BrianCopeland.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:18 AM

I'd rather be cautious and not get a NEO again, than to get it and have issues. Maybe I'm the here, but maybe you can explain to me why it would or would not work?
Old 08-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Newbie just Registered

Old 08-27-2007, 09:24 AM
dot dot dot ...

If you read the instructions and hook it up correctly, it should be fine. I'm guessing he overlooked a setting during his set-up.

The NEO is designed to replace the VAFC/SAFC. So it eliminates the need for 2 units, and bags it all into one package. Installation can get a little more complicated with that though.

I'm not speaking from experience, but i have seen the instruction manual etc for the NEO, and well, it can get a little more confusing than the SAFC/VAFC.

There are a few members using a NEO on other gens of Maxima w.o any problems.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:27 AM

If you read the instructions and hook it up correctly, it should be fine. I'm guessing he overlooked a setting during his set-up.

The NEO is designed to replace the VAFC/SAFC. So it eliminates the need for 2 units, and bags it all into one package. Installation can get a little more complicated with that though.

I'm not speaking from experience, but i have seen the instruction manual etc for the NEO, and well, it can get a little more confusing than the SAFC/VAFC.

There are a few members using a NEO on other gens of Maxima w.o any problems.
So I'm assuming that just because it's a "6th gen," doesn't make a difference?
Old 08-27-2007, 09:30 AM
dot dot dot ...

They use the same TPS/RPM/PWR/GND/MAF signals as any other gen, so nope, not really.

I suppose one way to verify (re: A34 software compatibility) would be to spend 15 minutes on Altimas.net, my350z or g35driver and see if they had any issues w/ a NEO. Since, 6th gens and those 3 models(05+ Altimas) share the same ECU/MAF/software combo.

Maybe I'll go there and check to verify.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:33 AM

They use the same TPS/RPM/PWR/GND/MAF signals as any other gen, so nope, not really.

I suppose one way to verify (re: A34 software compatibility) would be to spend 15 minutes on Altimas.net, my350z or g35driver and see if they had any issues w/ a NEO. Since, 6th gens and those 3 models(05+ Altimas) share the same ECU/MAF/software combo.

Maybe I'll go there and check to verify.
Sounds good. So I think I may go and edit my post now...
Old 08-27-2007, 09:33 AM

I think they are just saying they offer a module for those years of Maxima. Not "one fits all these years" type deal. Anyways, you're talking so far over my head on your 2nd post that I don't have a clue LOL.

Just looking for some honest feedback on this item though. Not just a "this is crap, buy something more expensive" type post.
Dude my buddy bought one for his Volvo. it fcuked his car up. like he would have electrical problems and things lik that. DONT GET IT AND PUT ON A 30000 DOLLAR CAR.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by whitem1ke88
Heres some feedback off that eBay..

-makes my D4 light blink and makes my car shift too early.
-would not work-engine light would not go off till removed-returned for refund

-ITS JUST A VARIABLE RESISTOR! BUY THIS AT RADIOSHACK FOR 30 CENTS! DONT BUY!!!!!
-do not buy not made percar this is a diode and can cause over heating damage

From the looks, i'd say it's fake.. but that's just me =D
DUDE, JUST THINK ABOUT IT. IF YOU CAN GAIN 20 HORSEPOWER WITH A $30 CHIP, WHY ISNT EVERYBODY BUYING THEM SO THEY CAN IMPROVE POWER? THESE CHIPS ARE LIKE ONE OF THOSE USELESS SIGNAL BOOSTERS FOR THE CELL PHONES THAT THEY USED TO ADVERTISE FOR ON TV'S. YOU GONNA F UP YOUR CAR DUDE. DONT GET IT.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by farzin1
DUDE, JUST THINK ABOUT IT. IF YOU CAN GAIN 20 HORSEPOWER WITH A $30 CHIP, WHY ISNT EVERYBODY BUYING THEM SO THEY CAN IMPROVE POWER? THESE CHIPS ARE LIKE ONE OF THOSE USELESS SIGNAL BOOSTERS FOR THE CELL PHONES THAT THEY USED TO ADVERTISE FOR ON TV'S. YOU GONNA F UP YOUR CAR DUDE. DONT GET IT.

LOL trust me I'm not. But I'm still mostly lost to what all the gearheads in here are talking about. NEO, SAFC etc..? I'm lost. Guys got any links/more info to this stuff?
Old 08-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Newbie just Registered

LOL trust me I'm not. But I'm still mostly lost to what all the gearheads in here are talking about. NEO, SAFC etc..? I'm lost. Guys got any links/more info to this stuff?
These items are fuel/engine management, tuning tools. Some are more complicated/comprehensive than others. But for the purpose of this thread, they can be used to tune the air to fuel ratio to get the maximum performance, like what this $30 ebay crap claims to do. Even on an unmodified car, you can get a little more power compare to the factory settings; which normally set for fuel efficiency and/or low emission.

Technosquare is a reflash. It alters factory settings pretty much permanently.

You can search using some of these terms: Apexi Neo, TXS Utec, Greddy eManage, technosquareinc.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by RHMax
These items are fuel/engine management, tuning tools. Some are more complicated/comprehensive than others. But for the purpose of this thread, they can be used to tune the air to fuel ratio to get the maximum performance, like what this $30 ebay crap claims to do. Even on an unmodified car, you can get a little more power compare to the factory settings; which normally set for fuel efficiency and/or low emission.

Technosquare is a reflash. It alters factory settings pretty much permanently.

You can search using some of these terms: Apexi Neo, TXS Utec, Greddy eManage, technosquareinc.
I actually read up a bit on the Technosquare reflash. It's certainly interesting and makes sense, if not a little on the pricey side for a reflash, but hey I know they need to make their money. How many peeps have done the Technosquare thing and how much performance gain can be expected from it??
Old 08-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Newbie just Registered

I actually read up a bit on the Technosquare reflash. It's certainly interesting and makes sense, if not a little on the pricey side for a reflash, but hey I know they need to make their money. How many peeps have done the Technosquare thing and how much performance gain can be expected from it??
Anywhere from about 10-15 WHP depending on what other mods you have. A reflash should be done after you have your other mods done, other wise you may have to get it done again for another $150.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax
Anywhere from about 10-15 WHP depending on what other mods you have. A reflash should be done after you have your other mods done, other wise you may have to get it done again for another $150.
Certainly makes sense. Any clue as to what type of gas mileage hit can be seen from the reflash?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:04 AM

One of the Technosquare mod allows the throttle to open 100%. It seems that in an effort to limit power (protect longevity), the ECU will slowly close the throttle back as you get close to redline, back 20% according to some posts.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:07 AM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

TS ecu= Happy driver...

Get some nice bolt ons then do it... yo will love it
Old 08-28-2007, 11:34 AM
Newbie just Registered

Certainly makes sense. Any clue as to what type of gas mileage hit can be seen from the reflash?
I went down about 10 miles per tank, from 370+ miles to 360+ miles per 16-17 gl. fil ups, mix driving, right around the speed limit. It actually helps your MPG at higher RPM because of more consistent AFR. Stock AFR gets pretty rich at above 4K RPM. If you sit in stop and go traffic, it could be a little worse.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:08 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by madmik
One of the Technosquare mod allows the throttle to open 100%. It seems that in an effort to limit power (protect longevity), the ECU will slowly close the throttle back as you get close to redline, back 20% according to some posts.
There are a couple of members who have proven that in the case of the A33B the throttle does not close. Maybe it's different for you A34 fellas. But for us 02/03's, that is not the case.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

could you use a chip ment for the 350z?
Old 08-29-2007, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by gcode88
could you use a chip ment for the 350z?
I think there are some 6th gens running G35 and/or 350Z chips. Low end is sacrificed, but up top they gain. IIRC
Old 08-29-2007, 10:54 AM

I think there are some 6th gens running G35 and/or 350Z chips. Low end is sacrificed, but up top they gain. IIRC
Now THAT is pretty interesting. Still, I think low-end on my max is kind of weak as it is. I'm very impressed with say 30mph+ but off the line, my 2000 Pontiac GTP was quite a bit quicker.

Quick Reply: Performance Chip