6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

So Angry. So Very Angry.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 07:41 PM

So Angry. So Very Angry.

A couple months ago my car was hit in my apartment complex overnight. Minor damage to the Driver side front and back door. Called State Farm, got a list of their "Guaranteed" body shops (state farm guarantees the job for the life of the car).

Here's where I messed up. Closest Nissan Dealer was 40 miles away. But there was another dealership one mile down the road.

A Chevy Stealership.

Of course, methinks, the body shop isn't really a reflection of the car company (so wrong).

I go to pick up my car this afternoon after I do a quick inspection. All dents were fixed, hooray!

Then, once I get to work, I park it in the sunshine and take a step back.

My. God. On. Earth.

I don't know who in hell painted this thing, but it looks like a circus monkey did. There are paint swirls from a buffer all over the place. My car door looks like it has 3D terrain. I swear, like a google map. I have never seen anything so shotty in my life.

WAIT.

I get in the car. They CLEAR COATED MY WINDOWS. I somehow, God knows how, have clear coat overspray on my back and front drivers windows. I also have clear coat on my windshield, nicely surrounding some spot where it looks like a SCREWDRIVER was painted around. Yeah, right where I look out of.

This is a dealership paint shop. Not Crazy Tom's Quicker Fixer.

I am

Now, I have a guarantee and whatnot. However, I do not want these people touching my car again, lest they do more damage. Oops, I forgot, they did do more damage. They had some 13 year old detail the inside and scratched up my LCD readout screen (looks like they used sandpaper to detail). I would rather take it to a Nissan dealership. I want them to cover ALL DAMAGES. What should I do? Get a refund of all monies for the actual painting, or have Nissan access all the damage (like getting the clearcoat off the windows) and have them pay Nissan directly.

I truly am so very mad now that I am driving to Arby's for their 5 for 5.95 as that is the only thing that will make me calm down.

Thank you for listening to this rant. Please do not take your car to a Chevy Stealership for anything. Stupid Joshua. Stupid.

Joshua
Old 08-31-2007, 07:55 PM

1st thing I would do is call the Insurance Company and info them of the work, how you feel and that you want to take the car to another shop to be fixed correctly, they will probably send an agent out to inspect the car
Old 08-31-2007, 08:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

And remember, its called a STEALERSHIP not dealership. Sorry to hear about all that.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by STARR
1st thing I would do is call the Insurance Company and info them of the work, how you feel and that you want to take the car to another shop to be fixed correctly, they will probably send an agent out to inspect the car
I will do this first thing tomorrow. Thank you.

Joshua
Old 08-31-2007, 09:00 PM

good luck, and keep us updated
Old 08-31-2007, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by STARR
good luck, and keep us updated
Arby's made me feel better. I still can't believe they tried to pass this off. Who the hell paints the windows? WHO?

I'm now driving a 36 thousand dollar Cobalt.

Joshua
Old 08-31-2007, 09:10 PM

that bites ! but your insurance company should go after them for it all.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

that really sucks about the car... shouldn't be a problem getting it fixed, I'm sure...

nothing wrong with Chevy dealers though.. there's always a bad apple..

I'd also take the car back to the dealership and make sure someone is fired.. probably multiple people..
Old 09-01-2007, 01:11 AM

that sucks man.. if ur insurance doesnt wanna do anything.. cant u sue the dealership against the faulty repairs?? idk just a thought
Old 09-01-2007, 05:12 AM

Joshua,

Hey man, that does suck. No beef with that.

I would document, ie estimates, PICTURES, and any other form of proof you can get that they messed this one up. Submit it to their manager, and YOUR insurance company. Let them battle it out, but be specific about what it is you want in the end. Like, NOT TAKING IT BACK TO The 12 year old.....

Now you're scaring me, someone hit my car, and I don't want to go through this just for a back bumper and rim....
Old 09-01-2007, 05:42 AM

Sounds to me that they forgot to cover the windows while they were painting. and why would they have a 13 year working at a auto body shop unless the kid has a relative that works there. he probably didnt even go to Votec for Body shop.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by STILLENGLE
Sounds to me that they forgot to cover the windows while they were painting. and why would they have a 13 year working at a auto body shop unless the kid has a relative that works there. he probably didnt even go to Votec for Body shop.
Um...the "13 year old" comment was cynical sarcasm. It seems as if a 13 year old painted it. I am taking pictures today. I called the insurance claims office, they told me I have to go back to the dealership and deal with them first. If that doesn't work, then I have to go through them. So now I have to deal with this. I found a dent they didn't even repair today. How could they not cover the windows? I have to wait until Tuesday to get this even talked about now!

Joshua
Old 09-01-2007, 07:32 AM

OH!! go after these people real hard man.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:38 AM

BBB better business bureu
call em up and rat out CHEVY!
Old 09-01-2007, 07:42 AM

Yeah um, everyone who knows anything about a good paint job knows that 90% is good prep work, and 10% is good spraying to get a good paint job. Damn, even MAACO does a better prep job than that place. Who the hell cleans an LCD with anything other than a microfiber towel (or equivelant) dampened with water? What idiots. Although I'm sorry to say, that the scratches on the LCD will be very hard to prove that they caused that damage
Old 09-01-2007, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by bwinter7
Yeah um, everyone who knows anything about a good paint job knows that 90% is good prep work, and 10% is good spraying to get a good paint job. Damn, even MAACO does a better prep job than that place. Who the hell cleans an LCD with anything other than a microfiber towel (or equivelant) dampened with water? What idiots. Although I'm sorry to say, that the scratches on the LCD will be very hard to prove that they caused that damage
Your sig made me chuckle. Thanks for making me feel better.

Joshua
Old 09-01-2007, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by philoforlife
Your sig made me chuckle. Thanks for making me feel better.

Joshua
sorry to go off track... but joshua's comment made me see bwinter7's sig... and that is funny....

bwinter7... can you post a full blown pic (and why....)
thks
Old 09-02-2007, 02:55 PM

Here is the link to the explanation.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Poser.JPG
I wish that I had seen this, and I wish I could take credit for taking the photo lol. I laughed so hard the first time I saw this, lol

lol, look at the hood tach, it's facing outwards

EDIT: And to the OP, I am sure that your paint-job could be a lot worse, take this one for example lol.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:27 PM

damn. that kinda sucks
Old 09-03-2007, 05:18 PM

Well when a bodyshop paints a car, sometimes overspray will creep under the paper and tape and get on the body or windows. window overspray can be easily removed with a razor blade or steel wool, and body overspray can be buffed off easily. as far as swirl marks, the "3D marks" they need to rebuff the car and use a quality swirl mark remover and a breathable wax on top of that (a non breathable wax will not allow the paint to cure correctly)

for the scratched screen, look at the inital report of when you brought your car in, usually they make up a paper to acknowledge any damage that was there before so they dont get blamed for it. tell them they didnt mark that and they need to pay for it.

But generally, bringing a nissan to a nissan dealer and bodyshop would be a good idea, they work on the cars everyday and get to know the in's and out's of the car. but when you pick up your car from a bodyshop, inspect it CAREFULLY before you leave. many people do not do this. i see customers leave the bodyshop i work at and dont even look at the work done. some inspect every square inch.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by bwinter7

thks bwinter7.... enjoyed it .. and yes i noticed the tach and the headlight..... great pic.... !!!
Old 09-03-2007, 07:02 PM

Finding a good bodyshop is not easy, I thought I had a great bodyshop, took my 4Runner in after someone backed into the passenger side, truck looked like new and then the bodyshop somehow backed it into a wall I don't know what they thought but it was pretty obvious, after that acouple weeks later the rear passenger window fell in the door follwed by the door panel just falling off, somehow Toyota fixed it under warranty
Old 09-04-2007, 07:24 AM
WSH for teh cup

What was the outcome of this?
Old 09-04-2007, 08:50 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Wow sorry to hear about your super cornholio!!!

Old 09-04-2007, 10:33 AM

Took it back to the shop this morning. Had to wait because of the holiday weekend. The woman who handled my insurance case took a look at it and said "Yes, that is pretty poor". She agreed to have it redone without me pushing the issue. I pointed out the windows and such. She was very helpful. I'm taking it there now to drop her off.

Lets see how they do this time around...

Joshua
Old 09-05-2007, 03:53 PM

yea definately check the car from all angles this time before you leave the bodyshop with your finished car. put it in the sun and check for swirl marks again and check the edges of the panels to make sure they dont burn through the paint when they buff it again.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:34 AM

Got a call from them today and went down there.

Evidently they got the swirlies out, but now you can tell where the body work was done (it has that strange mirrored finish where they did the work, like an illusion in the heat kindof deal). The woman told me on the phone that while they got the swirlies out, it wasn't to her qualifications. Thankfully, Christine is very nice and wants this perfect for me as well.

She told me to come pick up the car because they want it perfect and don't want me to be out of a car again. They have no courtesy cars so they are going to call me when they get one and I will have to bring the car back again. (Third time). This time I'm being promised it will be done right. Of course I won't leave without it being done right.

The one thing that made me happy was when Christine told me that she had taken the car to the back of the shop and was "impressed about how damn nice of a car you have. I never realized how beautiful the Maxima was inside. I'll make sure this is right for you." I was going to make a Cobalt joke but resisted.

The saga continues.

Joshua