6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

suspension questions..a little confused

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 04:19 PM

suspension questions..a little confused

ok so im looking into lowering my car..but the most reliably that i can. so lowering springs like eibach, they are simply springs, not shocks or anything right? so that means lowering your car on stock shocks will eventually lead to blowing out the shocks?
my next question is would coilovers be the right choice for replacing shocks and springs? never done suspension work before and i did some searching on here and found little info. just products/prices
Old 09-05-2007, 04:43 PM

The best bang for the buck will be going with Springs and new shocks/struts. If you really want to spend some money they you get the coilovers and have your ride sit the way you want it to. I have had both, but I think the ride quality is a little better with new springs and struts vs coilovers. So it really depends on what budget you have and exactly what you are looking for!
Old 09-05-2007, 05:17 PM

well when you say new shocks/struts you mean new stocks or new aftermarket?

And im just looking for the wheel to fender gap to be somewhat eliminated and to be able to take corners with more confidence
Old 09-05-2007, 06:47 PM

KYB f/r or KYB AGX front and Koni rear for adjustability

Progress springs for a nice drop

Progress RSB

Altima SE-R FSB

Racing-line rear end-links, front end-links, FSTB and MMI

DO IT!
Old 09-05-2007, 07:53 PM

I agree with Prjctmax. Progress are awesome. They drop the front 1.8" in the front and .8" in the rear. It looks oh so yummy, and handles remarkably well.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!

Progress RSB

Altima SE-R FSB

DO IT!

That about covers it...
Old 09-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!

Progress RSB

Altima SE-R FSB

DO IT!
Ditto.. . . . . .
Old 09-06-2007, 07:31 AM

Car will look great and HAndle much better
Old 09-06-2007, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Y2k2maxse
well when you say new shocks/struts you mean new stocks or new aftermarket?

And im just looking for the wheel to fender gap to be somewhat eliminated and to be able to take corners with more confidence
Aftermarket.

If you wanted to save money:

- Progress Springs (No argument, the best IMO)
- KYB Shocks and Struts (you could buy KYB AGX's which are adjustable for the rear but they are more pricey. They allow you to modify the ride quality/dampness of the springs on the fly. I believe they take around 50 seconds to change from bouncy to racecar)

You can buy the Springs and use them on the OEM struts/shocks but I wouldn't suggest it. Some members have had no problems with this but it will stress them and eventually they will fail. Our OEM struts and shocks are a weaker point of the car and many fail without any modifications. If you really wanted to save money, however, this would work for the time being.

There are group buys as well as sales on products regularly here so do some research before you buy. You can usually get good deals here. Actually one of the best car forums I have ever seen for deals.

Most definitely look into getting the Progress Rear Sway Bar. By far the best suspension mod. Tightens up the rear end and you'll see the most noticeable difference if you are doing the springs/shocks/strut combo. There is a front Strut bar coming out from Racingline but there is a big line currently waiting on it...

Figured I'd explain it in detail to our interrogative new friend.

Joshua
Old 09-06-2007, 03:01 PM

thanks guys thats a lot of info for me to take into consideration..ill have to do some price checks on the KYB shocks/struts to see if its in my price range..if not i may just do the progress springs for now..start saving and get the kybs either when i save the money or the stock shocks/struts fail. whichever comes first. i could put it on a credit card now but dont want to unless i have to. like if they fail. but the springs alone will at least get rid of fender gap and improve handling some right?
Old 09-06-2007, 03:10 PM

check the group buy forums, u can get a nice package deal on kyb/progress setup for under 400 shipped. Id also reccomend doing the struts and shocks while your doing springs, theres no point in half a$$ing it when the parts are fairly cheap.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:13 PM

ok update..did some research..progress springs are definately in my price range..i think i saw $178 for the springs..and shocks and struts.... i see rear shocks are like $90 a pair so maybe i can do all of this..springs and struts/shocks. what did you guys pay for these?
Old 09-06-2007, 03:50 PM

ok update..did some research..progress springs are definately in my price range..i think i saw $178 for the springs..and shocks and struts.... i see rear shocks are like $90 a pair so maybe i can do all of this..springs and struts/shocks. what did you guys pay for these?
If I was you I'd just get the Progress springs for now ($178). They will improve your handling while barely degrading your ride quality.

Next you need to ask yourself some questions.

#1 Is ride quality a concern?
If so save until you can afford the Konis (~$400)

The rear shocks seem to hold up so that is why I suggest Konis first.
The fronts are much more likely to fail but not neccesarily.

#2 If ride quality is of no concern then the practical route is KYB GR2's all the way around. The whole set shocks and struts can be had for about ($210).

The ultimate suspension setup in my opinion is Progress Springs-Progress Sway Bar-Koni Struts-AGX Shocks-Front & Rear Endlinks-PS2 Tires & a Front Stabilizing Bar.

This is my setup, and I am extreeeemely pleased.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:48 PM

that sounds good to me...progress springs and kyb gr2 struts and shocks. im probably gonna do that. been hearing that a lot. ride quality really isnt a concern..as the harsher the ride the more i like it. i hate cars that have a soft ride. i want to feel the road.
I saw somewhere i need an alignment kit or something if you lower your car a certain amount? is this true and if so what do i need?
And what are endlinks and what do they do?

sorry for all the ?s i have NEVER done any suspension mods ever. thanks for everyones patients.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:16 PM

I dont agree with the Gr2 statement and ride quality, if anything the car WILL ride better on Gr2s than stock shocks/struts. Sure if someones looking to track their car and want fully adjustable suspension then the agx's and konis are they way to go. But I was on eibachs and agxs before my coilovers and now going back to a spring setup. The agx were cool to adjust if I went to the 1/4 track or something but I RARELY adjusted them, just kept em set at 5 which I hear is basically what the Gr2s feel like.

EDIT: PM ImportCarPartsP and tell him u want the gr2s front and rear and the progress springs for the 6th gen(04+). Also give him your zipcode for a shipping quote, my total was 384 shipped for the full setup and thats a VERY good price if u ask me.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:54 PM

Some time ago Dues asked "Arent the GR2 struts similar to the OEM struts in terms of dampening ability?"

You-Glude answered his question and I quote "Yes, they are said to be 15% stiffer though."

Well guess what, they are about 15% stiffer.

I have had them on and off my car three times. They are stiffer but they do improve handling a fair amount. Over fairly large potholes you will definetly feel it. Other members can attest to this as well.

It's a moot point though because you my man want a stiff suspension setup anyway. So I say "Go-for-it"!

Where it's not important as the konis for lowered vehicles (IMO), the AGX's are definetly a plus to match your mood. Like you said the setting 5 is similiar to the GR2's. For most situations that's where you will be.

Every once in a while you might want that soft mellow ride quality to please the lady/ladies or just chill on the smooth side (or broken roads). Also every once in a while you might want to hit the back roads with lightning quick reflexes on your car to damn near turn a "G" (or a lot of rear passengers). The AGX's allow you to fully do both, rather than half azz do both.

The konis are more mind blowing in my opinion. They really allow you to comfortably lower your vehicle while maintaining ride quality and really improving the handling a lot. We are talkin' win-win here.

The big problem is these parts cost serious money altho cheaper than coilovers. Glude sounds like he found a great deal on the springs/shocks/struts. No question about it, that is where the best bang for the buck is.

Glude also is the guy to talk to about coilovers (he had them on his car)seeing as tho he went back to the Progress spring + GR2 setup.
I'm for one--am really curious about why the change.

Best of luck with your suspension Mods...
Old 09-06-2007, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by coolmax05
Some time ago Dues asked "Arent the GR2 struts similar to the OEM struts in terms of dampening ability?"

You-Glude answered his question and I quote "Yes, they are said to be 15% stiffer though."

Well guess what, they are about 15% stiffer.

I have had them on and off my car three times. They are stiffer but they do improve handling a fair amount. Over fairly large potholes you will definetly feel it. Other members can attest to this as well.

It's a moot point though because you my man want a stiff suspension setup anyway. So I say "Go-for-it"!

Where it's not important as the konis for lowered vehicles (IMO), the AGX's are definetly a plus to match your mood. Like you said the setting 5 is similiar to the GR2's. For most situations that's where you will be.

Every once in a while you might want that soft mellow ride quality to please the lady/ladies or just chill on the smooth side (or broken roads). Also every once in a while you might want to hit the back roads with lightning quick reflexes on your car to damn near turn a "G" (or a lot of rear passengers). The AGX's allow you to fully do both, rather than half azz do both.

The konis are more mind blowing in my opinion. They really allow you to comfortably lower your vehicle while maintaining ride quality and really improving the handling a lot. We are talkin' win-win here.

The big problem is these parts cost serious money altho cheaper than coilovers. Glude sounds like he found a great deal on the springs/shocks/struts. No question about it, that is where the best bang for the buck is.

Glude also is the guy to talk to about coilovers (he had them on his car)seeing as tho he went back to the Progress spring + GR2 setup.
I'm for one--am really curious about why the change.

Best of luck with your suspension Mods...
I remember the post, and they do claim to be stiffer. If they are il take your word for it. Im mainly going back to a spring setup because my towns going through MAJOR reconstruction, not fun on coilovers. Also, once my wife started staying home to watch our newborn I drove our 06 murano for work everyday. Shes now back working and the max is no longer the driveway queen its been for the past year and 3 months..lol. Im really going to miss the slammed look, but being able to drive my max around again will outweigh that.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:42 AM

I want to just lower the front a little to even the car out.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:53 PM

that sounds good to me...progress springs and kyb gr2 struts and shocks. im probably gonna do that. been hearing that a lot. ride quality really isnt a concern..as the harsher the ride the more i like it. i hate cars that have a soft ride. i want to feel the road.
I saw somewhere i need an alignment kit or something if you lower your car a certain amount? is this true and if so what do i need?
And what are endlinks and what do they do?

sorry for all the ?s i have NEVER done any suspension mods ever. thanks for everyones patients.
Not sure where you do most of your driving. The GR-2 is anything but soft. You will enjoy them on nice roads (good luck finding one in NJ/NY) but on our pot holed and over patched roads they are not a nice ride. I do not have my car lovered and it rides harder then my lowered 95.

If you have the $$$ KONI, KONI, KONI. I wish I had saved for them.

And just so you know the GR-2 was not developed for the Maxima it was developed for the Altima...it just happens to fit. If you can find an older KYB catalog you will see that the fronts are listed for the older Altima and nothing listed for our cars.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:16 PM

so when i go to order the GR2's i have to order the ones for the altima? i do recall seeing them for the altima. i may end up getting this for my b-day which is next month so i may not order them myself.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:48 PM

This is starting to mess up my plans....reading this thread makes me believe the GR2's are going to hurt the ride quality immensely. However, I also have read that doing the FSTB and the RSB will make a difference, but not as much as if one has the car lowered - where the true power of the suspension is brought into play. However, I don't want to lower on the stock set up, and I can't afford Koni's and AGX's.

Should I just not lower it? The roads in PA are atrocious...

Joshua
Old 09-07-2007, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by philoforlife
This is starting to mess up my plans....reading this thread makes me believe the GR2's are going to hurt the ride quality immensely. However, I also have read that doing the FSTB and the RSB will make a difference, but not as much as if one has the car lowered - where the true power of the suspension is brought into play. However, I don't want to lower on the stock set up, and I can't afford Koni's and AGX's.

Should I just not lower it? The roads in PA are atrocious...

Joshua
Just lower it "already". You'll be just fine with the stock dampeners.
Worst case scenario is your front struts die later on. If that happens you can get some new regular KYB (not as stiff) for $120 for the set.

YK2K, you'll be ordering 6th Gen 2004-2007 Maxima GR2's. That will be the nomenclature. All 95 is saying is they are the same part as the Altimas.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by coolmax05
YK2K, you'll be ordering 6th Gen 2004-2007 Maxima GR2's. That will be the nomenclature. All 95 is saying is they are the same part as the Altimas.

thanks for clarifying that.

will definately be doing this next month. ill post before and after pics and will write up on how the ride and handling has changed..for you guys that are also looking to do this setup.