6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

What shocks & struts are you guys running?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:19 PM

What shocks & struts are you guys running?

Just started researching this a bit and from what I can tell I need to pair my Eibach springs with better struts & shocks. I was looking at these KYB's on Shox.com but wondering what you guys are having luck with?

010. KYB Struts/Shocks (GR2's) - 239.00
set of 4 kyb gr2's front right #334336 front lf. #334337 rear #344450
Old 09-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have Progress springs, Koni yellow adjustable fronts, and KYB AGX adjustable shocks in rear.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mack
Just started researching this a bit and from what I can tell I need to pair my Eibach springs with better struts & shocks. I was looking at these KYB's on Shox.com but wondering what you guys are having luck with?

010. KYB Struts/Shocks (GR2's) - 239.00
set of 4 kyb gr2's front right #334336 front lf. #334337 rear #344450
Dues setup is as good as it gets (IMO). It has the best of both worlds.
You can go from a soft cushy ride to track stiffness in under a minute.

The koni struts allow you to go really low with no ill effects.
The AGX's allow you to really adjust comfort levels.

The downside...expensive! Figure on dropping about $775 by the time everything is said and done (must do own labor).

If you want to save $300 just do the koni struts. For another $80 you can add GR2 shocks in the rear.

Or, if you don't mind a stiffer ride and suffering a bit over potholes then you can get GR2's all the way around for $220 shipped.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by coolmax05
Dues setup is as good as it gets (IMO). It has the best of both worlds.
You can go from a soft cushy ride to track stiffness in under a minute.

The koni struts allow you to go really low with no ill effects.
The AGX's allow you to really adjust comfort levels.

The downside...expensive! Figure on dropping about $775 by the time everything is said and done (must do own labor).

If you want to save $300 just do the koni struts. For another $80 you can add GR2 shocks in the rear.

Or, if you don't mind a stiffer ride and suffering a bit over potholes then you can get GR2's all the way around for $220 shipped.
hmmmmmmmmmmm so you're saying that if I get the adjustable struts/shocks, I won't have such a "harsh" ride?
Old 09-17-2007, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
hmmmmmmmmmmm so you're saying that if I get the adjustable struts/shocks, I won't have such a "harsh" ride?
If you get the adjustables, you'll be just about as soft as stock, but complimented with a MUCH more controlled ride/handling. Again, stock struts and shocks are the softest-but you sacrifice control. Figure on about 4.72% stiffer with the softest settings with the adjustables. Because the Konis really don't mind going extra low, over certain road conditions (if your car is lowered) the Konis are actually smoother than stock.

Now compare the softest settings of the adjustables to GR2's, and it's night and day in terms of ride quality. The adjustables are WAY smoother. They also handle better than the GR2's.You basically get your cake and eat it too with the adjustables. It is expensive cake tho...

Think of it as "Grandma's chocolate cake" contrasted with a "Ding Dong" in terms of quality. The adjustables are way nicer than the GR2's. Period!!!
Old 09-17-2007, 06:40 PM

Deus, Cool thanks guys. This is EXACTLY what I needed! The adjustable setup sounds nice. Maybe pricey but seems to be worth it IMHO. THe problem I'm having now is my front bottoms out a bit too often for my liking with the stock struts and Eibach springs installed. I don't mind sacrificing "some" ride quality but would like to have something a bit softer. Thanks again guys!! Now to start searching for a place to buy Koni & KYB's.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:16 PM

I think ima get the rear adjustable soon then...

With all of this money, why doesn't anyone want coil-overs? Mainly because you can't control the stiffness/softness?
Old 09-17-2007, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
I think ima get the rear adjustable soon then...

With all of this money, why doesn't anyone want coil-overs? Mainly because you can't control the stiffness/softness?
Deus, Cool thanks guys. This is EXACTLY what I needed! The adjustable setup sounds nice. Maybe pricey but seems to be worth it IMHO. THe problem I'm having now is my front bottoms out a bit too often for my liking with the stock struts and Eibach springs installed. I don't mind sacrificing "some" ride quality but would like to have something a bit softer. Thanks again guys!! Now to start searching for a place to buy Koni & KYB's.

The reason, (besides expensive) is that the coilovers have a reputation of being far less than perfect over imperfect roads. It's about looks and extremely good handling. Insert Koni & AGX's- outstanding/borderline exceptional handling and ya got the cake...and eatin' it too (smooth ridin')!

There is only "ONE" place to get Koni+AGX's, because they are custom.

By custom I mean "ActiveTuning.com". Good folks & good product.

Thier markup is small. Thier service is large.
If you want to travel from mediocracy to the ultimate 1-2 combo, they are between you and the other side.

Do it and experience no regrets...
Old 09-17-2007, 07:48 PM

eibach springs and kyb gr2 shocks n struts here.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:08 PM

I bought my set up a bit at a time. The sway bars and end links are cheap and easy to do. The struts were expensive and the last thing I did, other than the endlinks. If you do a bit at a time it spreads the cost out.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:28 AM
.org extraordinaire

I have Koni/Agx setup with Cattman springs, and sway bar, and racingling endlinks on all 4 corners.

From my street to track

From ooooo so smmoooooth to OOOO SOOO F1 in less then 60 seconds.

Nothing touches this setup.

Kamski
Old 09-18-2007, 03:45 PM

Awesome guys. Thanks again. Looks like I'll go with the suggestions and get the Koni's and KYB's.

Do endlinks make much of a difference? I thought I saw only to worry about replacing them when the stocks wore out? And Kami, is your swaybar from Cattman? I just ordered my Strutbar from Stillen so got that covered.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:06 PM

I want to buy the endlinks but they are out of stocks for the RSB. I have a Progress RSB sitting in my livingroom, waiting. Should I throw it on and take it back off when they are in stock (?) or just wait. It's seriously killing me to see it.

Joshua
Old 09-18-2007, 07:08 PM

Every night I go get a glass of water and hear:

"Jossssssshuuuuuuaaaaa.....put me on the Maxxxxxxxximmmmmmmaaaaa"

I can't take it!

Joshua
Old 09-18-2007, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by philoforlife
Every night I go get a glass of water and hear:

"Jossssssshuuuuuuaaaaa.....put me on the Maxxxxxxxximmmmmmmaaaaa"

I can't take it!

Joshua
Are you drunk posting?
Old 09-18-2007, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by philoforlife
I want to buy the endlinks but they are out of stocks for the RSB. I have a Progress RSB sitting in my livingroom, waiting. Should I throw it on and take it back off when they are in stock (?) or just wait. It's seriously killing me to see it.

Joshua
Yes toss it on NOW!!!

It is a very easy install. It will do more for you than the endlinks.

Installing the endlinks at a later date is no biggie.

Do it already Bro.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:08 PM

GR-2 shocks/struts all around on Progress springs. Love 'em.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:06 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

gr2 with h&r's... i will have this installed in less than a week
Old 09-26-2007, 04:21 PM

How do you adjust adjustable shocks? What is involved to make adjustments?
Old 09-26-2007, 10:59 PM

U turn a ****. On the shocks, its a **** on the side that works if u reach in through the rim. On the front struts, you turn a **** at the top of the strut. VERY easy and quick.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:44 AM

Hey Deus (or any others) I have been patiently waiting for the Koni's and KYB's to come in stock at ActiveTuning but looking at the last few posts I'm getting the impression there are adjustable front struts out there in addition to what I already knew with adjustable rear shocks being available. Exactly what front struts are you talking about that are adjustable as I would love that option as well as the rears.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:05 AM

Hey Deus (or any others) I have been patiently waiting for the Koni's and KYB's to come in stock at ActiveTuning but looking at the last few posts I'm getting the impression there are adjustable front struts out there in addition to what I already knew with adjustable rear shocks being available. Exactly what front struts are you talking about that are adjustable as I would love that option as well as the rears.
The only adjustables for 6th Gen are custom made by "Active Tuning", period!

The Koni's are adjustable front struts (the only ones available for 6th Gen struts). There is a removable **** you use to go from totally clockwise (soft) to totally counter clockwise (stiff) in two revolutions. The turns are continuos/analog in manner (no clicks).

The KYB AGX's are rear shocks. They are 8 way adjustable with actual numbers "1-8" on the permanently attached ****. You hear a distinctive "click" per setting.

Last edited by coolmax05; 09-27-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:21 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by Oolatec
GR-2 shocks/struts all around on Progress springs. Love 'em.
Same here.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:09 PM

The only adjustables for 6th Gen are custom made by "Active Tuning", period!

The Koni's are adjustable front struts (the only ones available for 6th Gen struts). There is a removable **** you use to go from totally clockwise (soft) to totally counter clockwise (stiff) in two revolutions. The turns are continuos/analog in manner (no clicks).

The KYB AGX's are rear shocks. They are 8 way adjustable with actual numbers "1-8" on the permanently attached ****. You hear a distinctive "click" per setting.
Ok cool, I didn't realize the Koni's were adjustable. Sweet! Now if they'll just get 'em back in STOCk!!
Old 09-27-2007, 11:31 PM

squeak and hiss noise

I have a 2004 SL with 70k. I never drive fast over train tracks or speed bumps. When I go over speed bumps now, I can hear creaking noises in the back. Any help or a diagnosis would be great!
Old 10-26-2007, 11:40 AM

Ok just got my KONI struts and KYB AGX adjustable shocks installed today. Kam, Cool, Deus you guys were right! This setup is INCREDIBLE! I noticed a difference before even pulling out of the parking lot. Even with all settings currently at default the ride is much smoother. Kinda hard to explain because it's tighter and stiffer, yet rides really good too! Thanks for all the input here guys I couldn't be happier. My end links should be in here soon then I'll be cooking with crisco! Thanks again everyone!
Old 10-26-2007, 01:20 PM

Also just an FYI guys. The stock rear shocks were crap. You can compress them by hand. Very weak stuff and I only have 30k on my car.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:27 PM

Ok just got my KONI struts and KYB AGX adjustable shocks installed today. Kam, Cool, Deus you guys were right! This setup is INCREDIBLE! I noticed a difference before even pulling out of the parking lot. Even with all settings currently at default the ride is much smoother. Kinda hard to explain because it's tighter and stiffer, yet rides really good too! Thanks for all the input here guys I couldn't be happier. My end links should be in here soon then I'll be cooking with crisco! Thanks again everyone!
Total investment cost of struts/shocks and install, please.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Also just an FYI guys. The stock rear shocks were crap. You can compress them by hand. Very weak stuff and I only have 30k on my car.
Just another FYI - I personally installed all of my KYB GR2's and progress springs. You can compress all of the KYB's by hand straight out of the box. I don't think that has anything to do with the actual quality of the struts/shocks.

BTW, the car rides awesome now! 70k miles and it feels better than new!
Old 10-27-2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by cyclopsmd
Just another FYI - I personally installed all of my KYB GR2's and progress springs. You can compress all of the KYB's by hand straight out of the box. I don't think that has anything to do with the actual quality of the struts/shocks.

BTW, the car rides awesome now! 70k miles and it feels better than new!
True that!

You test a shock by compressing it and seeing how it rebounds. If it rebounds real fast the shock is bad. Should decompress/rebound real slow...
Old 10-28-2007, 10:29 AM

True that!

You test a shock by compressing it and seeing how it rebounds. If it rebounds real fast the shock is bad. Should decompress/rebound real slow...
Fair enough, but guys seriously, the stock shocks were obviously much much lower quality than the KYB AGX's. It's like getting a whole new car to enjoy all over again!
Old 11-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anyone ???

Anyone running Eibachs and KYB Gr2's? Haven't seen too many post with this set up, but noticed a lot of people are running Eibachs OR Gr2's? This is the setup I was I thinking of going with. Found both brand new for under $400. I did see that someone said this setup might be kinda rough?
Some Feedback on this before I purchase would be appreciated!
Old 11-11-2007, 12:57 PM

Flip that would be a great price conscious setup. I would certainly consider it myself if the adjustable options weren't so attractive to me. I say go for it man and let us know how it all comes out.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:20 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

+1 on trying it out and telling us ...

i have H&r's... always curious to hear how other setups feel...

Good luck... Post pics too !
Old 11-29-2007, 03:25 PM

Does KYB make an adjustable for the 6th gen??? I only see them for older models, the AGX's. We can only get the GR-2's from KYB ???
Old 11-29-2007, 03:53 PM
KC's FINEST

Im on Progress with stock struts/springs.

The car rides great... (The day or so a week I drive it)
Old 11-29-2007, 04:22 PM

Has anyone successfully put koni/agx on an 07?