6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Osiris from Uprev

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Mack
So Nmex, even though the UTEC is for the 350z you're saying it would work out of the box for an '05 - '06 Maxima?
Take it out and plug it in, that's all you do.

Originally Posted by philoforlife
Can the Utech change timing on the fly? Can it change the rev limiter to 7500?
It can change the rev limit, but be aware of what the consequences can be.

You can adjust hard timing, but the UTEC resets when you save maps so your engine would cut.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
Take it out and plug it in, that's all you do.

It can change the rev limit, but be aware of what the consequences can be.

You can adjust hard timing, but the UTEC resets when you save maps so your engine would cut.
Please explain the consequences and the engine cut. Also I heard something about coils going bad. Just trying to see if this is something for me to tune the car once headers come out or just use an safc 2. I also have the TS Full Spec flash.

Last edited by shawndon; 10-24-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by shawndon
Please explain the consequences and the engine cut. Also I heard something about coils going bad. Just trying to see if this is something for me to tune the care once headers come out or just use an safc 2 I als have th TS Full Spec flash.
You my friend, are on the same boat as me! The TS will pretty much be useless and a waste of money if you get the UTEC because it will be over-riding everything that is on the TS. (fortunately, the benefit with the TS is that it will not over-write the UTEC, unlike "stock" ECU's would)

All I know is that everything nietzsche has been telling me is starting to fall into place a little better. I am leaning towards the UTEC or the Osiris and will most likely be selling my E-Manage Blue once I get one of those.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
You my friend, are on the same boat as me! The TS will pretty much be useless and a waste of money if you get the UTEC because it will be over-riding everything that is on the TS. (fortunately, the benefit with the TS is that it will not over-write the UTEC, unlike "stock" ECU's would)

All I know is that everything nietzsche has been telling me is starting to fall into place a little better. I am leaning towards the UTEC or the Osiris and will most likely be selling my E-Manage Blue once I get one of those.
Yeah you can also go back to stock with that map selector switch so you can still use your TS flash if I understand right. I would rather have a tuned map to use all the time though if possible. I also think that with the UTEC and a live dyno tune would be better because the tuner can see the results rather the way TS tuned our ECU's. Ivalso want to see some better low end.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:05 AM

Yeah you can also go back to stock with that map selector switch so you can still use your TS flash if I understand right. I would rather have a tuned map to use all the time though if possible. I also think that with the UTEC and a live dyno tune would be better because the tuner can see the results rather the way TS tuned our ECU's. Ivalso want to see some better low end.
Agreed on all counts...except for the map selector switch; I'm going to have to read up some more on this
Old 10-24-2007, 10:20 AM

Agreed on all counts...except for the map selector switch; I'm going to have to read up some more on this

It allows you to change through up to five maps the you have pre tuned base on the type of performance you are looking for. It's cost like $75 extra from what I have been reading.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:34 AM
MAXIN' ON

Will it work with my 07?
Old 10-24-2007, 10:44 AM

I spoke to my buddy, we are set to meet on Sunday to test it out, Do you guys think I should get a replacement ECU if they are nay prolems?

If we can tune this thing I think We all may have some fast azz Maximas with little or no Money. Do you have to register the product or can I jsut plug and play?
Old 10-24-2007, 12:04 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by JPIZZLE
I spoke to my buddy, we are set to meet on Sunday to test it out, Do you guys think I should get a replacement ECU if they are nay prolems?

If we can tune this thing I think We all may have some fast azz Maximas with little or no Money. Do you have to register the product or can I jsut plug and play?
Don't get your hopes up on the "fast azz Maximas". You might ONLY get back the power your mods have lost from stock.

According to TS, each version of the software on the ECU has to be individually modify; VDC, TCS, AT type, etc. I would think the UpRev will have the same issue. But the ability to tune directly, w/o piggybacks, is a definite plus.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:27 PM

NAICE!!!

Many of the 350Z guys said that they have gotten anywhere between 15-25whp from tuning, and that's just from bolt-ons
Old 10-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Newbie just Registered

NAICE!!!

Many of the 350Z guys said that they have gotten anywhere between 15-25whp from tuning, and that's just from bolt-ons
With what mods?
Old 10-24-2007, 01:03 PM
dot dot dot ...

Also I heard something about coils going bad
I’ve only heard about it with the EMU. What is your source for information?

It can change the rev limit, but be aware of what the consequences can be
I would not recommend going past 7200 on stock rod bolts.

Hard timing is when timing is set to a certain value, and will not retard no matter OEM ECU input. This is different than EMU/EB.

If I’m reading this correctly, when you say UTEC resets, you mean, if you ‘dialed in’ a new rev limit, it would not hold, since the UTEC has reset, correct?

Just trying to see if this is something for me to tune the car once headers come out or just use an safc 2.
That decision is up to you. Whether or not you want the tuning resolution of the UTEC depends on how far you really want to go. UTEC requires some pretty in depth knowledge of the vehicle as a whole, and unless you’ve spent hours and maybe even days with the FSM, maybe you would be better off with a raw TS/AFC ‘tune’.

The TS will pretty much be useless and a waste of money if you get the UTEC because it will be over-riding everything that is on the TS .
I still haven’t seen anyone use the UTEC for CVTC map alteration, so that in itself is a semi + for the TS.

Ivalso want to see some better low end. .
This mod (UTEC) would really aid in the tuning of a larger MAF housing.

I'm going to have to read up some more on this
That’s the spirit.

BTW, anyone seen this thread yet?
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=398725
Old 10-24-2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
1.) I still haven’t seen anyone use the UTEC for CVTC map alteration, so that in itself is a semi + for the TS.

2.)This mod (UTEC) would really aid in the tuning of a larger MAF housing.

3.)BTW, anyone seen this thread yet?
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=398725
1.) So are you saying that's a good thing for those that have the TS?

2.) I doubt many 6th geners would want to hack into their Fujita

3.) I've seen it!
Old 10-24-2007, 01:34 PM

I’ve only heard about it with the EMU. What is your source for information?

That decision is up to you. Whether or not you want the tuning resolution of the UTEC depends on how far you really want to go. UTEC requires some pretty in depth knowledge of the vehicle as a whole, and unless you’ve spent hours and maybe even days with the FSM, maybe you would be better off with a raw TS/AFC ‘tune’.
I read that on this site which may have been talking about the EMU blowing coils.

Good advice because the tuning shop I spoke to said they didnt really have any knowledge about the UTEC but the have tuned 350Z's so I don't know have extensive their knowledge is. I may just end up with an SAFC 2. Also, what kind of results am I looking at with a raw TS/SAFC 2 tune once the cattman headers are installed?? One of the main concerns is the Low end power that I seem to be missing now. I know that the mid-top end will be better. What Kind of results would I see with the raw TS/SAFC 2 tune after the cattman headers are installed?? My main concern is low end which I seen to be lacking without doing the MAF upgrade. I know the mid-top end will get better though.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:53 PM

I read that on this site which may have been talking about the EMU blowing coils.

Good advice because the tuning shop I spoke to said they didnt really have any knowledge about the UTEC but the have tuned 350Z's so I don't know have extensive their knowledge is. I may just end up with an SAFC 2. Also, what kind of results am I looking at with a raw TS/SAFC 2 tune once the cattman headers are installed?? One of the main concerns is the Low end power that I seem to be missing now. I know that the mid-top end will be better. What Kind of results would I see with the raw TS/SAFC 2 tune after the cattman headers are installed?? My main concern is low end which I seen to be lacking without doing the MAF upgrade. I know the mid-top end will get better though.
You can get better low end by getting a richer or leaner AFR, depending on where you're at right now.

How do you plan on doing the MAF upgrade?
Old 10-24-2007, 01:58 PM
dot dot dot ...

1.) So are you saying that's a good thing for those that have the TS?

2.) I doubt many 6th geners would want to hack into their Fujita
I think the important thing is that those w/ TS should keep it anyhow, since their CVTC map is different, and in a good way.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:04 PM

You can get better low end by getting a richer or leaner AFR, depending on where you're at right now.

How do you plan on doing the MAF upgrade?
I dont know how to upgrde it. I just want better low end Hopefully from one of these tuning devices. I keep thinking I have my mind made up and some new info changes it all. I have to get another dyno to see what the AFR is.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:23 PM
dot dot dot ...

There are only 2 people on this board, that I know of, that have this(UTEC) installed. One of them changed FROM EMU TO UTEC due to such a problem. So yes, the UTEC doesn't seem to have this problem.

Good advice because the tuning shop I spoke to said they didnt really have any knowledge about the UTEC but the have tuned 350Z's so I don't know have extensive their knowledge is.
What .org members need to do is educate themselves on this subject before they get overcharged with a lame/useless tune.

Also, what kind of results am I looking at with a raw TS/SAFC 2 tune once the cattman headers are installed??
Every car is different, just go get it dyno'd and report back the results.

One of the main concerns is the Low end power that I seem to be missing now. I know that the mid-top end will be better. What Kind of results would I see with the raw TS/SAFC 2 tune after the cattman headers are installed?? My main concern is low end which I seen to be lacking without doing the MAF upgrade. I know the mid-top end will get better though.
I added a larger MAF housing and my throttle response is amazing. This requires some intermediate level tuning, and some much needed hardware, (i.e. WBO2 sensor) Altering CVTC maps should theoretically help your low end. But first off, explain what 'low end' means to you? I would say 'off the line up until about 2500-3000, from then on it should be considered mid range.

I honestly think that many of you need to venture out into other areas of the forum.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:38 PM

There are only 2 people on this board, that I know of, that have this(UTEC) installed. One of them changed FROM EMU TO UTEC due to such a problem. So yes, the UTEC doesn't seem to have this problem.

What .org members need to do is educate themselves on this subject before they get overcharged with a lame/useless tune.

Every car is different, just go get it dyno'd and report back the results.

I added a larger MAF housing and my throttle response is amazing. This requires some intermediate level tuning, and some much needed hardware, (i.e. WBO2 sensor) Altering CVTC maps should theoretically help your low end. But first off, explain what 'low end' means to you? I would say 'off the line up until about 2500-3000, from then on it should be considered mid range.

I honestly think that many of you need to venture out into other areas of the forum.
How diffucult is it to do tha MAF upgrade?? And I definitely mean Off the line to about 2500 rpm. I tried to get TS to Make changes to the timing but he kept asking questions like how hot it was and what kind of gas we had.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:01 PM
dot dot dot ...

How diffucult is it to do tha MAF upgrade?? And I definitely mean Off the line to about 2500 rpm. I tried to get TS to Make changes to the timing but he kept asking questions like how hot it was and what kind of gas we had.
Here’s mine:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=390691

There is also a thread on it on www.my350z.com . It’s not mine but considering your software is nearly identical, it’s a good place to get educated. Prior to doing any mod, I highly recommend you familiarize yourself with FSM’s and such. If you’re in this thread, you should at least have one on .PDF shortcut'ted to your Desktop.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:17 PM

Here’s mine:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=390691

There is also a thread on it on www.my350z.com . It’s not mine but considering your software is nearly identical, it’s a good place to get educated. Prior to doing any mod, I highly recommend you familiarize yourself with FSM’s and such. If you’re in this thread, you should at least have one on .PDF shortcut'ted to your Desktop.
No I dont have that link for the FSM can you post it. Maybe it's time I do some reading on this stuff. Has there been someone do a 6th gen upgrade the MAF??

Last edited by shawndon; 10-24-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:42 PM
dot dot dot ...

Upgrade/'mod', yes, what I did, no.

www.VQ35DE.com/ESM
Old 10-24-2007, 05:57 PM

NMex,

I noticed in the thread you posted for your MAF mod you showed your AFR from 2300 rpm to 7100 rpm how did you get the values?? From your SAFC 2?? I want to see how linear my AFR curve is. Also I cant the link to work . Is there an Adobe copy of the manual??

Last edited by shawndon; 10-24-2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A lot of those links dont work. How do you do the MAF upgrade? It looks like Land Rover MAFs are used?
Old 10-24-2007, 07:57 PM
dot dot dot ...

I got those values using a WBO2.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:10 PM

I got those values using a WBO2.

what about the FSM you got a different link for it?? I downloaded it but I couldn't open it.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:19 PM
dot dot dot ...

Here's the basis of why I did what I did: http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...8&postcount=18

Taken from:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?p=3150152

Yes it's an LRMAF, BUT, you guys cannot use it. You guys have a different sensor than I do. It (yours) is the same sensor used in the Z33, so your aftermarket choices should be better. I wont sit here and explain how it's done, how to do it, or what you need because I've done that already.

If I were you, I would 7z files. It's essentially like a WINRAR tool. If not, there's always www.phatg20.net. There are tons of FSM's on there...If the site is back up. If not there's this: http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...0&postcount=36
Old 10-24-2007, 08:49 PM

Here's the basis of why I did what I did: http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...8&postcount=18

Taken from:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?p=3150152

Yes it's an LRMAF, BUT, you guys cannot use it. You guys have a different sensor than I do. It (yours) is the same sensor used in the Z33, so your aftermarket choices should be better. I wont sit here and explain how it's done, how to do it, or what you need because I've done that already.

If I were you, I would 7z files. It's essentially like a WINRAR tool. If not, there's always www.phatg20.net. There are tons of FSM's on there...If the site is back up. If not there's this: http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...0&postcount=36
Cool you had me thinking at first that us 6th genners could use the 82 mm MAF but found out later in that single post that we could not. Hopefully with our MAF matching the Z33 we can find one that will bolt up. The only thing is cutting on the fujita. I'll also check those links thanks
Old 10-24-2007, 08:54 PM
Newbie just Registered

Cool you had me thinking at first that us 6th genners could use the 82 mm MAF but found out later in that single post that we could not. Hopefully with our MAF matching the Z33 we can find one that will bolt up. The only thing is cutting on the fujita. I'll also check those links thanks
Can you measure the actual diameter of the MAF housing of thr Fujita?
Old 10-24-2007, 09:08 PM
dot dot dot ...

I've been asking that for months. ^^^
Old 10-24-2007, 09:12 PM
Newbie just Registered

So have I!
Old 10-25-2007, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by RHMax
Can you measure the actual diameter of the MAF housing of thr Fujita?

I never really knew anything about the MAF mod so I had no reason to measure it. But I see the point you guys are making. Is there a possibility that it may not need to be cut??
Old 10-25-2007, 06:33 AM
dot dot dot ...

I never really knew anything about the MAF mod so I had no reason to measure it. But I see the point you guys are making. Is there a possibility that it may not need to be cut??
If you have a Fujita, just leave it as is. Too much work, IMO.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:17 AM

If you have a Fujita, just leave it as is. Too much work, IMO.
Yeah I noticed that after reading your MAF thread thouroughly.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:03 AM
I piss on Civics.

GROUPDEAL FTW! GOGOGOGO.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:49 AM

projmax, if you can find out from the shop, i can make a trip down there [depeneding on how long they need the car for] and have my brother pick me up and i can stay at his place. LMK
Old 10-25-2007, 12:00 PM
dot dot dot ...

Yeah I noticed that after reading your MAF thread thouroughly.
IMO, it's still a viable mod, and I would pursue it further, i.e., spend the time/money/effort to fit a larger unit on the car. Even if, in the end, it meant selling the Fujita.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by eK9aT10pSi
projmax, if you can find out from the shop, i can make a trip down there [depeneding on how long they need the car for] and have my brother pick me up and i can stay at his place. LMK
I think they said a few days, but I'm not sure, so just e-mail them at info@uprev.com
Old 10-25-2007, 12:34 PM

IMO, it's still a viable mod, and I would pursue it further, i.e., spend the time/money/effort to fit a larger unit on the car. Even if, in the end, it meant selling the Fujita.

I still have my stock air box and stuff like that. I would try to get a spare one though and try or at least a WAI like you guys used. How many wires have to be spliced when you switch over to the other MAF?? That is my only concern splicing. I also went to car-part.com and they had Z33 MAF's for like $275.00-$375.00 I was like . Where's a cheaper place to get one??
Old 10-25-2007, 12:51 PM
dot dot dot ...

I still have my stock air box and stuff like that. I would try to get a spare one though and try or at least a WAI like you guys used. How many wires have to be spliced when you switch over to the other MAF?? That is my only concern splicing. I also went to car-part.com and they had Z33 MAF's for like $275.00-$375.00 I was like . Where's a cheaper place to get one??
For me, no wires needed to be spliced. I'm sure this will also be the case with your as well. All you're doing is dropping the actual sensor into another housing, no wiring modifications re: MAF sensor.

Ok, you misunderstood my point. I meant that your sensor is the same as the Z33 unit. What this means is that all aftermakrket housings available for the Z33 will fit your car. What this also means is that your sensor = Z33 sensor, and buying one off car-part will only get you what you already have, housing and all.

So, look around, go custom, or find something that YOUR sensor fits into, which is what any other Z33 sensor will fit into. Search my350z for that thread explaining what was done in their case.

Quick Reply: Osiris from Uprev