6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

04 SE front windows open by themselves sometime after car is locked?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 05:20 AM

04 SE front windows open by themselves sometime after car is locked?

Hi Guys,

This is a wierd one. Three or four times now I have returned to my parked and locked 04 Maxima SE only to find either one or both front windows open fully. It doesn't happen all the time and I've played with the remote control in the garage hoping to actually see what happens but as they say "A watched kettle never boils". It happened again yesterday.

I guess I will have to call my Nissan dealer but has anyone had a similar problem?
Old 11-21-2007, 05:37 AM

If you hold the unlock button down on the key fob, the windows go down. I do it from time to time with the keys in my pocket. I also set my factory alarm off the same way...
Old 11-21-2007, 05:44 AM

You my have a faulty remote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:55 AM

ya I'd try switching to a different remote so one is out of range of it all the time and see if it's remote or car. I lock mine all the time in the garage from my pocket.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:30 AM
MaXXiN

Originally Posted by Hilbe
If you hold the unlock button down on the key fob, the windows go down. I do it from time to time with the keys in my pocket. I also set my factory alarm off the same way...
^^^ yes the factory remote can bring your windows down...wish they can go up but they only go down...make sure your not pressing the unlock button for too long just tap and lock...

you can bring them half way ..or all the way... good luck
Old 11-21-2007, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Hilbe

This is a locking situation with the remote rather than unlocking....drive into the mall parking lot, exit the car hit the lock button once and then twice to hear the horn chirp, head off shopping and then return to find the windows down, sometimes it is both or at other times only one. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by bushpilotmexico
This is a locking situation with the remote rather than unlocking....drive into the mall parking lot, exit the car hit the lock button once and then twice to hear the horn chirp, head off shopping and then return to find the windows down, sometimes it is both or at other times only one. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

Just talked with the local Nissan dealer....they brought up a good point which was "Are the doors unlocked when you notice the windows down?"

Could be somehow the 'unlock' button is being pressed and held down in my pocket (very unlikely).

Secondly they said to check the battery in the remote and possibly replace....also as suggested by another member it could be a faulty remote.

I'm still open for suggestions...thx for looking.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

What the heck Got me on that one. At least the car doesn't drive off on its own too!!!
Old 11-21-2007, 05:09 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Either remote's OPEN button depressed while in the pocket or faulty remote alltogether. Take you second remote and pull battery out of this one to see.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
Either remote's OPEN button depressed while in the pocket or faulty remote alltogether. Take you second remote and pull battery out of this one to see.
Except this doesn't explain why only *1* window rolls down sometimes... unless it happens consistently on one side and then maybe the auto-pinch mechanism (if that is enabled while rolling down) has engaged for some reason? Or maybe one of the relays/something in the auto-down mechanism is faulty? I dunno. Has this happened any other time besides when you leave your car for an extended period of time?

As an experiment, try sitting in your car and hitting the "unlock" button and hold it for 5 seconds. Wait for the windows to roll completely down. Try this several times, and if only one side rolls down sometimes, then I'd also suspect a either a bad remote or you accidentally holding down the unlock button for 5 seconds without knowing it, and a faulty window mechanism.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:08 PM

time for a new car.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:14 AM

I hate to say it, but TWICE this has happened to me as well. First time I thought I had left the window down. Second time was dead of winter. I too at first thought I had somehow depressed the button in my pocket...but who knows? It was weird as hell...

Joshua
Old 11-22-2007, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Except this doesn't explain why only *1* window rolls down sometimes... unless it happens consistently on one side and then maybe the auto-pinch mechanism (if that is enabled while rolling down) has engaged for some reason? Or maybe one of the relays/something in the auto-down mechanism is faulty? I dunno. Has this happened any other time besides when you leave your car for an extended period of time?

As an experiment, try sitting in your car and hitting the "unlock" button and hold it for 5 seconds. Wait for the windows to roll completely down. Try this several times, and if only one side rolls down sometimes, then I'd also suspect a either a bad remote or you accidentally holding down the unlock button for 5 seconds without knowing it, and a faulty window mechanism.
With holding the button down BOTH windows will roll down as normal. However, I only found one window down myself. How could that happen? There is nothing wrong with the windows.

I think my car does whatever it wants to do...

Joshua
Old 11-22-2007, 04:44 AM

I've heard the 07's used to have intellikey issues where they'd start on their own?! Is there really any need for us as drivers anymore?

With windows going down on their own, I'm thinking the car now thinks it can handle the auto climate control on it's own also...What's next? Which restaurant to frequent????
Old 11-22-2007, 06:56 AM

With the fact sometimes both windows are down and other times just one, I would be very surprised to find the remote at fault. The remote should not be able to lower just one window.

Likewise, the 'one or both' symptoms tend to make it unlikely the problem is caused by a physical short in a wire; that would result in a somewhat consistent reaction (not sometimes one down and sometimes both).

The irregular reaction suggests this may be a problem in the window control software, and could be difficult to pin down. But if you ever plan to leave your car parked outside, this is something that absolutely must be fixed. Believe me, you DON'T want water under your floor mats. I had that happen, and it took me weeks of messy work to get those mats and pads dried out.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by philoforlife
I hate to say it, but TWICE this has happened to me as well. First time I thought I had left the window down. Second time was dead of winter. I too at first thought I had somehow depressed the button in my pocket...but who knows? It was weird as hell...

Joshua

As the original poster of this thread it's only happened three times in the last 2 months. Twice in the same day and then just this week. The first time it happened I returned to the car and found the driver's window 1/2 way down. Then on the same day (different errand) I returned to find only the passenger window had dropped about 3'4's.

This week I returned to find the passenger window all the way down (fully down) and the same with the driver's window BUT there was a wisp of the driver's window still showing (not fully retracted).

I drove to the Nissan dealer yesterday and left with them all still scratching their heads. I priced a new remote with parts department @ $115 but the parts manager swears it isn't the remote.....the service manager over heard and swears it has to be the remote. Doesn't sound like they've ever had a customer with the same problem. I left without buying the remote.

I've switched remotes (car came with 2) and after locking the car I now watch it like a hawk for at least 30 seconds...can't imagine it being a delayed reaction. Nor can I imagine that some where in the store or mall I'm somehow triggering the unlock button in my pocket and holding it depressed for sufficient time to lower the windows. Also if this were true both windows would be lowering 100% of the time but this wasn't the case initially. The other factor against a faulty remote is that I'd be away out of range for this to happen.

I sort of don't trust the car at the moment...I don't feel that I can leave anything of value inside or as one member mentioned if the windows are down and we get a torential downpour look out. Also insurance wise how would they handle a claim?

Now I just had a light bulb come on dimmly in my head....I'm going to re-program the remote because for unlocking the way it's set up is one push unlocks only the driver's door, the second push unlocks the other 3 doors. As I'm walking towards the car possibly at some distance I may be holding the second push down long enough to trigger the windows to retract BUT both windows should go down not one go down and the other stay up.

Food for thought?
Old 11-23-2007, 11:30 PM

I still feel this is not a problem with the remote. But then this doesn't logically fit any problem scenario very well. Really strange.

By the way, don't be fooled by the limited distance of the remote. I regularly find I can lock my doors via the remote from around 300 feet. The longest distance that I ever measured was 323 feet. Of course this was with a fairly clear line-of-sight, low humidity and a remote battery in good condition.

One detail - you said that there were instances where the windows were not completely down. As the front windows have auto-down, I would assume opening them with the remote would automatically lower them ALL THE WAY. Try that, and if you are unable to open the front windows only partially with the remote, I don't see any way the remote could be your problem.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:10 PM

the factory remote will put windows all or partially down if unlock button is held any long than 1 sec, to unlock doors.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by pilotguy18
the factory remote will put windows all or partially down if unlock button is held any long than 1 sec, to unlock doors.
Hmmm... do you mean 5 seconds?