6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

How would a front splitter look?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 02:52 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I considered these but didn't because it seemed to aggressive . . yes believe it or not I do have my limitations. The bottom cannards look good and more streamlined, but still look a bit tacked on.
YOU HAVE LIMITATIONS? dues... no...
Old 11-30-2007, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Fastmax05
YOU HAVE LIMITATIONS? dues... no...
LoL!
Old 11-30-2007, 05:56 PM
Banned

Nice jack collection! I need to get one liek that middle one, I have one called larin and it looks like the right one, you need a pliers to let out the pressure, what a pita
Old 11-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Banned

You have a nice looking car, no more crap!
Old 12-01-2007, 12:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks. The middle one is great because its aluminum and its easy to handle. I figured it was thebest way to keep the cardboard up without having to attach it.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:33 AM

Agreed with Chern and was thinking the same think about that wheel gap you got going on there. Plan on throwing some D- Cepeks on there? (it would have filtered out the first name).

Great job Jess. Less is more.

I agree with Fast; "You have limitations?"......

I do like it with the 'twigs', and I like the CF. I would also worry about the lip getting wrung at the first sight of a pothole or road imperfection.
I like the hood as well.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:35 AM

I think when you install a splitter it means stay away from curbs, stay away from deep driveways, watch potholes (not too many of those here in Cali), and just a better awareness of where you are driving. But this is much like when your car is very low. I also planned to try to make it adjustable by slotting the mounting holes. I can make it more aggressive for race and show, and back it off for the street.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I think when you install a splitter it means stay away from curbs, stay away from deep driveways, watch potholes (not too many of those here in Cali), and just a better awareness of where you are driving. But this is much like when your car is very low. I also planned to try to make it adjustable by slotting the mounting holes. I can make it more aggressive for race and show, and back it off for the street.
IMO splitters will not have an affect on our cars, keep it off please!!!
Old 12-01-2007, 03:47 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Originally Posted by chernmax
IMO splitters will not have an affect on our cars, keep it off please!!!

maybe he will listen to yuo cause' u r the first 6th gen turbo

no but seriously dues... keep it off man... i think that might b a little tooo much for the maxi.... but like i always say... IF U LIKE IT GET/DO it
Old 12-01-2007, 07:24 PM

Just an FYI, Spoilers and Splitters do nothing until high speeds. Very high speeds. Like 130+ speeds. And that is with light cars. Our cars are heavy. Very heavy.

For looks I say go for it. But lets not kid ourselves about functionality.

Joshua
Old 12-01-2007, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by philoforlife
Just an FYI, Spoilers and Splitters do nothing until high speeds. Very high speeds. Like 130+ speeds. And that is with light cars. Our cars are heavy. Very heavy.

For looks I say go for it. But lets not kid ourselves about functionality.

Joshua
Even if this is true, and Im not convinced it is, those few times where I do a speed run, I want all the help I can get regarding stability.

I am going to make one and fit it and see how it looks. I have a feeling its gonna stay.

Last edited by DeusExMaxima; 12-01-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Fastmax05

no but seriously dues... keep it off man... i think that might b a little tooo much for the maxi..

Ummm......has that EVER stopped the Deus before?

Hey Deusman, you have a timeframe of installing this bad boy?
Old 12-01-2007, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mack
Ummm......has that EVER stopped the Deus before?

Hey Deusman, you have a timeframe of installing this bad boy?
I need to locate material in which to make the splitter. I was thinking of using ABS plastic and the doing a CF overlay. The reason Im thinking of that is because its surely gonna take a beating and I dont want to ruin a CF product since its expensive. My cardboard mock up was done last weekend. I have an idea of how I wanna make it. Its just a question of material.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:32 AM

Even if this is true, and Im not convinced it is, those few times where I do a speed run, I want all the help I can get regarding stability.

I am going to make one and fit it and see how it looks. I have a feeling its gonna stay.
"1. Does a spoiler really do anything for my vehicle?

Changes your aerodynamics - The effect a spoiler has on your vehicle depends on the shape and design of the individual model. Most factory-direct and factory-style spoilers and wings have little or no effect on handling, speed or drag–they're just for decoration. Those factory models with some change on aerodynamics or down force act to stabilize a vehicle's rear axel at high speeds–much faster than legal limits. There's a good chance that you'll never feel any change or need the benefits of a spoiler, other than its race-inspired looks."

"Where a spoiler actually performs a genuine function, that function is to push down on the car, to give the drive wheels more traction."

"Consider a few simple, obvious facts:

In order to have any noticable effect, the additional downward force exerted by the spoiler needs to be comparable to at least a significant fraction of the amount of downward force already being applied to the wheels by the weight of the car itself. I expect you'd have to be going much, much faster than any legal; highway speed (and much, much faster than most street cars are capable of going) in order for a spoiler to generate this much force.

In nearly all instances where spoilers are mounted on regular street cars, the spoiler is mounted to the trunk lid. How strong is that trunk lid? What do you think would happen if the spoiler, mounted on the trunk lid, really did exert an amount of force comparable to a significant portion of the car's weight. Let's say, several hundred pounds at least. Do you think the effect would be anything other than to violently rip the trunk lid off of the car?"

"A properly designed spoiler can improve the aerodynamics of a vehicle and improve its fuel consumption. Because car manufacturers have to comply with strict fuel consumption guidelines, I expect that typical factory equipped spoilers are at least neutral, and may help fuel consumption at some speeds.

At freeway speeds, traction improvement from the downward force effects will be relatively insignificant. Most of us never do high-g cornering at freeway speeds anyway, and a rear spoiler won't help your braking since in emergency braking more than 90% of your stopping depends on your front brakes.

Bottom line: --almost-- exclusively for looks."

and finally:

"They make very useful picnic tables."

Now on to the splitter. I think this will have a negative effect on the car. It looks as if it will actually send the air racing into the bumper that would normally flow down around it. While this could possible provide downforce (you need none at any speed you'll be traveling), it will also throw off the aerodynamics of the front of the car. You will be effectively increasing the drag coefficient due to the shape of the bumper. If anything, the "effects" will cancel each other out.

It seems to me that you already have more spoilers on the car than needed. You're just tacking on anything to the outside and labeling it an increase to "functionality". This I disagree with. We've spoken before about your right to make the car look as you please (and don't get me wrong, I like the look), but tacking piece after piece onto the outside of the car is beginning to look out of place. Soon your going to have wings and an afterburner on the car. With all of these money, you could have invested into the engine and made the car extremely fast. I've always believed that a car should look as fast as it is, and any imbalance is glaringly obvious. I've raced cars with bodykits and wings that had no modifications to the engine - that really makes one laugh. Of course this doesn't apply to cars with show mods, like big, heavy wheels and such. But your car is aggressive looking. Not to say it isn't fast, but it could be so much faster if you stopped tacking things onto it and built the inside.

Then you would actually need the splitter.

My 2 cents, nothing more. Feel free to disregard.

Joshua

Joshua
Old 12-02-2007, 07:47 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UCFS0...spagenameZWD1V

hey dues, check this out im not sure if it fits. but i think is sure match

Enjoy !!
Old 12-02-2007, 08:14 PM

Max: I just emailed seller to see the dimensions.

philo: Whats your source for this info??

Air Dams and Splitters

The air dam's job is to restrict the amount of air going under the car. By using a vertical barrier made from either a composite material or aluminum sheet, the air dam effectively reduces the opening leading to the underside of the car. By restricting flow under the car, more air is forced around the sides and over the top of the bodywork at higher pressure. The limited air forced underneath has to pass through faster and thus at a lower pressure which causes a suction effect. Air dams are more common in production cars with higher ride heights and bumpers.

Splitters, the horizontal plate extending forward and underneath the air dam, use the same principle but operate differently. Since the front of the car is a blunt shape, the oncoming air is slowed substantially, resulting in a high-pressure zone known as a stagnation point. By placing a horizontally protruding splitter plate right in the thick of this high-pressure zone, a large amount of efficient downforce can be generated. The splitter, hence its name, splits the high-pressure zone from the low-pressure high-speed flow moving under the car. Pressure varies with the car's speed squared, so downforce increases quickly as the speed increases. Generally, the effects are felt at speeds over 75mph. Downforce can be increased or decreased, depending on the amount of exposed splitter area, and an adjustable splitter area can be used to fine-tune the aerodynamic balance. As is true with most race cars, the Nismo GT-R uses a splitter only, on account of its low ride height and large ducts that feed its engine bay.

Here is my source:
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te...t_2/index.html

That excerpt was found on page 4, middle.

Last edited by DeusExMaxima; 12-02-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:06 PM

deus cut in more towards the middle....like the sentra
Old 12-03-2007, 09:10 PM

Max: I just emailed seller to see the dimensions.

philo: Whats your source for this info??

Air Dams and Splitters

The air dam's job is to restrict the amount of air going under the car. By using a vertical barrier made from either a composite material or aluminum sheet, the air dam effectively reduces the opening leading to the underside of the car. By restricting flow under the car, more air is forced around the sides and over the top of the bodywork at higher pressure. The limited air forced underneath has to pass through faster and thus at a lower pressure which causes a suction effect. Air dams are more common in production cars with higher ride heights and bumpers.

Splitters, the horizontal plate extending forward and underneath the air dam, use the same principle but operate differently. Since the front of the car is a blunt shape, the oncoming air is slowed substantially, resulting in a high-pressure zone known as a stagnation point. By placing a horizontally protruding splitter plate right in the thick of this high-pressure zone, a large amount of efficient downforce can be generated. The splitter, hence its name, splits the high-pressure zone from the low-pressure high-speed flow moving under the car. Pressure varies with the car's speed squared, so downforce increases quickly as the speed increases. Generally, the effects are felt at speeds over 75mph. Downforce can be increased or decreased, depending on the amount of exposed splitter area, and an adjustable splitter area can be used to fine-tune the aerodynamic balance. As is true with most race cars, the Nismo GT-R uses a splitter only, on account of its low ride height and large ducts that feed its engine bay.

Here is my source:
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te...t_2/index.html

That excerpt was found on page 4, middle.
I made them all up?

Joshua
Old 12-04-2007, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by philoforlife
I made them all up?

Joshua
I dont know, Im asking you
Old 12-04-2007, 10:48 AM

I dont know, Im asking you
Hahahah, its from the internet somewhere.

Seriously though, your car is perfect. Modify the engine!

Joshua
Old 12-04-2007, 01:21 PM

I will. The splitter wont cost much. Its the engine mods that will. Im saving up.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:10 PM

Something like this:

Credit: Joesredmaxima
That is a nice theme for your max, Deus. Do the dang thang!!!
Old 12-06-2007, 01:27 PM

wow that look sweet
Old 12-06-2007, 06:52 PM

Thanks!! I agree. I will try to get it made after the holidays.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:35 PM

Dues lose the lip spoiler and concentrate on that cool hood...otherwise I will hire you as a snow plow up here for my wintery street....LOL / I love your car the way it looks right now anything more and it's going to start making people laugh....as in "I split my car and they split their sides cracking up!
Old 12-10-2007, 04:02 PM

How does this look (red line bordering splitter):

I used Microsoft Paint. just looking for opinions.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:08 PM
i SeE what you did therE

How does this look (red line bordering splitter):

I used Microsoft Paint. just looking for opinions.

u forgot to add the mirror pin striping...
Old 12-10-2007, 04:12 PM

ooops . . .
Old 12-10-2007, 04:30 PM

i think it looks cool on your car but what about the cars with redlinemax bumpers? how will it look?

btw dues my brakes are back. gas station did a pretty good job but they figured out another problem, caliper may be leaking because the rotors i got didnt really "fit" the 300zx brakes. you might have a bad caliper. make sure to check it out. if you wanna discuss more just pm me.

but back on topic. LOOKS GREAT!
Old 12-10-2007, 04:32 PM
i SeE what you did therE

ooops . . .

Old 12-10-2007, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Look-at-my-MAX
i think it looks cool on your car but what about the cars with redlinemax bumpers? how will it look?

btw dues my brakes are back. gas station did a pretty good job but they figured out another problem, caliper may be leaking because the rotors i got didnt really "fit" the 300zx brakes. you might have a bad caliper. make sure to check it out. if you wanna discuss more just pm me.

but back on topic. LOOKS GREAT!
I rebuilt the calipers myself and I know they worked before the leak. Why didnt your rotors fit the calipers??
Old 12-11-2007, 01:08 AM

What material should I make the splitter out of. Cant decide. Not CF. Too expensive. Im thinking ABS plastic or aluminum?. It has to be something strong yes easy to work with.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:12 AM

I don't really like the red pinstripe. The GTI-like grille lining looks good as do the time attack style wheels, but I think continuing that theme with the splitter is just extra clutter.

Leave it simple. Simple is good.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:27 PM

What material do I make the splitter out of and where do I get it?
Old 12-11-2007, 05:39 PM
name came from hairdryer

What material do I make the splitter out of and where do I get it?
What about Plexiglas/acrylic or it might be called Lexon. Hardware stores like Homedepot carry this. Pretty strong, and you can create curves/bends by heating it up with a blow torch.
I once made a custom computer case out of the stuff.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:50 PM
SHIFT_In2D

I may be able to get you some CF pretty cheap depending on the measurements of the front and how wide you want it. I'll just need to see if the supplier still has it in stock.

Bought a 12"x77" sheet for $30 would you like the 2x2 twill pattern like mine or the old checker weave pattern?

Pic I took of the CF sheet awesome material very light yet strong. I still have a little left if you ever wanted to experiment with it.

I think you can still do an overlay with the abs or some other kind of plastic. Maybe check out www.usplastics.com I used to buy from em lol just like MaXXXpower I used to mod computers.

Last edited by Jess; 12-11-2007 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:11 PM

I need 72"x24"
Old 12-12-2007, 11:03 AM

Im going to a local plastics place right now. Im not sure what thickness Im going to get but Im thinking in the range of 1/8" 3/16" or 1/4"
Old 12-12-2007, 11:36 AM

1/8 would be a bit too thin, dont you think? I'm just worry that the CF is not gonna hold up when you scrape. Can you reinforce it with like a thin layer of aluminum glued to the bottom or is that gonna look too cheesy?
Old 12-12-2007, 12:08 PM
SHIFT_In2D

Once you have the CF overlay done it's hard as a rock. Way better than fiber glass so 1/8 would do fine, but if you want the extra security then definately go with 3/16. I sent the guy an e-mail about CF sheets so just waiting on a reply

Quick Reply: How would a front splitter look?