6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

What a difference a strut bar makes....

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 05:59 PM

What a difference a strut bar makes....

OK, as we all know, I am not the most modded Max on the road, by no fault of my own, its the wife. Anyway, I recently ordered the RacingLine Strut bar, in black of course, and installed it yesterday. I drove about 50 miles last night and today, on various road surfaces; bumpy neighborhood roads, my own street that is under sewer construction, smooth highways, highway entrance ramps and railroad track crossings. For those that haven't put a strut bar on yet I can't describe adequately what a difference this makes in the car's daily performance. It makes the car feel more connected to the road, it makes the suspension actually do the work that it was designed to do. I don't get that slop feeling in the steering anymore at low speeds 0-30 mph when going over rough roads. The car tracks better when going straight and I don't spill my coffee when turning b/c the car doesn't lean over on its side anymore. I am amazed that the car can't/won't ride this good from the factory, what was Nissan thinking? I am so anxious to add the Progress springs to the setup in the spring time. For all of those out there without this product, get it now and you will be surprised and pleased with how well the car responds to this simple, basic, cheap and easy mod. Oh, and Joe is a great guy to do business with and makes a great product.

The best part of all of this is the wife still doesn't know!!! I will need to add the endlinks at a future date as well, but that need to be done on the sly as well.

Pics were not taken to be posted b/c if you've seen one engine bay photo with a strut bar you've seen them all.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:13 PM

Solve problem

Myself and a few Maxima driving nut cases that I grew up with, purchased our wives mini vans and confiscated all their Maxima keys, ins. I.D.s and registrations. My childhood best friend wife hasn't been in his "other wife" in two yrs. Think about it. Oh yeh the modding bug only gets bigger and starts to consume your brain cells more and more every time you mod something else. As you probably know.

Last edited by maxima-junky; 11-29-2007 at 06:14 PM. Reason: omission
Old 11-29-2007, 07:59 PM

Is one brand strutt bar better than another??? What size is the actual bar (diameter). Is one size size (diameter) give a better performance??
Old 11-29-2007, 08:09 PM
Conecarver

Glad you like it so much but half of what you said has nothing to do with strut bars. Don't mean to flame but strut bars do absolutely nothing for body lean. Wait til you change springs - that'll really be a difference.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
Glad you like it so much but half of what you said has nothing to do with strut bars. Don't mean to flame but strut bars do absolutely nothing for body lean. Wait til you change springs - that'll really be a difference.
BEJAY1, I know you were refering to what BadBlackMax stated about his strut bars, but I need help. I've had a truck for 13 years and I just bought the 08 SE. I want to put one up front, but I don't know what brand, what size not to mention trying to find one that fits the 08 because I don't know if I am considered a 6th generation or not because in 09, Nissan will change the body style again. Can you point me in the right direction, or if not, anyone help out a new Maxima owner???
Old 11-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Proper installation by tightening it outwards as much as possible while the front suspension is completely unloaded is key! jack it up by engine x-member.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

hahahahahha. I finally found someone else who has the wife limiting his mods! That is why the rear sway bar was first for me!
Old 11-29-2007, 08:55 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Proper installation by tightening it outwards as much as possible while the front suspension is completely unloaded is key! jack it up by engine x-member.
didn't know the jury decided that was better even even good to do.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:51 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
Originally Posted by KRRZ350
didn't know the jury decided that was better even even good to do.
I thought loaded is best for proper camber/tires contact; no stress on tires when going straight.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:53 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
OK, as we all know, I am not the most modded Max on the road, by no fault of my own, its the wife. Anyway, I recently ordered the RacingLine Strut bar, in black of course, and installed it yesterday. I drove about 50 miles last night and today, on various road surfaces; bumpy neighborhood roads, my own street that is under sewer construction, smooth highways, highway entrance ramps and railroad track crossings. For those that haven't put a strut bar on yet I can't describe adequately what a difference this makes in the car's daily performance. It makes the car feel more connected to the road, it makes the suspension actually do the work that it was designed to do. I don't get that slop feeling in the steering anymore at low speeds 0-30 mph when going over rough roads. The car tracks better when going straight and I don't spill my coffee when turning b/c the car doesn't lean over on its side anymore. I am amazed that the car can't/won't ride this good from the factory, what was Nissan thinking? I am so anxious to add the Progress springs to the setup in the spring time. For all of those out there without this product, get it now and you will be surprised and pleased with how well the car responds to this simple, basic, cheap and easy mod. Oh, and Joe is a great guy to do business with and makes a great product.

The best part of all of this is the wife still doesn't know!!! I will need to add the endlinks at a future date as well, but that need to be done on the sly as well.

Pics were not taken to be posted b/c if you've seen one engine bay photo with a strut bar you've seen them all.
Do you have RSB and endlinks? Those will give you better lateral w/o harsher ride. Unless you want to be lowered.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I changed from Stillen to Racingline last weekend. The car feels much more solid and my test drives on my favorite offramps were nothing short of spectacular. This bar clears my intake and my hood. The brackets are more solid than the Stillen bar brackets and I love the chrome finish. I did have to cut the plastic covers more, but its no biggie.

Here is a pic:
Old 11-30-2007, 07:40 AM
Incognito

My FSTB Should be here today... cant wait =]
Old 11-30-2007, 10:29 AM

Just so I know how bad to feel for not checking the forum more often, how cheap was the bar on sale during Racingline's Thanksgiving sale? I want one and a few bucks off would have been all the motivation I would have needed! Doh. That's what I get for stuffing myself full of calories instead of forum surfing.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by RHMax
Do you have RSB and endlinks? Those will give you better lateral w/o harsher ride. Unless you want to be lowered.
I want to add the front and rear endlinks, not sure about doing the RSB. I want to lower the car b/c I can't stand the front gap. If Nissan would have made the front wheelwell just slightly smaller than the Grand Canyon I wouldn't be lowering.

Origionally posted by cyclopsmd
hahahahahha. I finally found someone else who has the wife limiting his mods! That is why the rear sway bar was first for me!
Yeah, sometimes its not worth the fight, sometimes we are on the same page like when we modded the familyroom with a 50" TV!!!
Old 12-01-2007, 07:52 AM

My friend just installed a racingline strut bar the other weekend and I must say I have been around maxima's along time and that is the best performing strut bar I have seen on these cars. Good purchase and glad you are liking it so much.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
I want to add the front and rear endlinks, not sure about doing the RSB. I want to lower the car b/c I can't stand the front gap. If Nissan would have made the front wheelwell just slightly smaller than the Grand Canyon I wouldn't be lowering.
I say throw an RSB on there too!
Old 12-02-2007, 05:20 AM

CAn somebody give me a part number i want one LOL
Old 12-02-2007, 08:32 PM

I think I've been bit by the mod bug.

I told myself that I would just get the Fujita CIA, but now I'm considering maybe getting the Strut bar, and the endlinks.

What kind of a difference do the endlinks make, and are they worth the $200 for both the front and the rear?