6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

My Max braved the ice storm in Oklahoma!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 10:15 PM

My Max braved the ice storm in Oklahoma!

Well guys in the middle of my annual trek from NY to Nevada I got caught right in the middle of a war zone. From Tulsa to Clinton OK it was real bad. I saw wreck after wreck, fought black ice, fought regular ice covered roads. When I got into OKC there was no power. The one gas station I found was chaos, people were fighting to get to the pumps. There was only super since everything else ran out. I had to fill it and get out of there quick as people were boxing people in so they couldn't get out. I then made it out of OKC only to encounter I40 as a sheet of ice. Couple of close calls but the Max made it without a scratch. Here is a pic of her in Clinton, OK in front of the motel I am staying at. I tell you those Goodyear F1s paid for themselves tonight. They performed better that I could have hoped. I advise anyone not to do what I did today. What a mess.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:19 PM
SickSE

I love even when they are dirty, the stock 18" rims still look good. It's a good thing you are from NY and can drive in the snow cuz down here in Charlotte, when we get a flurry the city grinds to a halt.

Interesting story none the less.

Take care.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:48 AM

Wow, Charlotte makes it through a flurry? Greenville, Sc hears of a flurry or freeze warning, and it's all over. Call in the National Guard.

I'm glad you made it safely. Are you going to stay put long enough for some of it to melt off?
Old 12-11-2007, 04:53 AM

sorry if i'm going offtopic but i must ask... why does the civic has a sticker that says "I (heart) my Honda" backwards?
Old 12-11-2007, 07:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Goodyear Eagle F1s on the ice FTW?

Wow, I think you got some travel blessings there. My Nexen3000s look very similar and I wouldn't trust them in that weather.

Glad you made it through.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:55 AM

Congrats on the safe ride. That was a risky venture you took!

Glad to hear the tires were solid for ya. My next set are gonna be the Eagle F1 All-Seasons. Everything I have read on them says they are rock solid.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:11 AM

yeah they are great cars, mine just made it from alaska to tennessee and it only took 4 days.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:20 AM
KC's FINEST

I've gotten almost 2" of ice in the last couple of days...

We're expecting quite a bit more today. Good ol' Kansas City.

No pics of car, even though im confident my Blizzaks could manage.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Apollos2

Wow, I think you got some travel blessings there. My Nexen3000s look very similar and I wouldn't trust them in that weather.

Glad you made it through.

My wife stole the Explorer for the winter and I found myself stuck driving her Maxima in 4" of snow the other day. IT WAS INTERESTING TO THE SAY THE LEAST!

I also run the N3000's on some ADR's, factory size. Thanks to this site I found out about the Goodyear recall and even though the RS-A's were 20 days past the production date for the recall, a call to Goodyear's Customer service got me FREE set of RS-A's.

Quick question...did those N3000's walk all over the road on un-even roads?

Also, does your car have the "shimmy" @ 60mph and then go away at 70+?

Now with the car on the new RS-A's and stock rims my shimmy and wandering the road problems are gone.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Boost-n-Juice
My wife stole the Explorer for the winter and I found myself stuck driving her Maxima in 4" of snow the other day. IT WAS INTERESTING TO THE SAY THE LEAST!

I also run the N3000's on some ADR's, factory size. Thanks to this site I found out about the Goodyear recall and even though the RS-A's were 20 days past the production date for the recall, a call to Goodyear's Customer service got me FREE set of RS-A's.

Quick question...did those N3000's walk all over the road on un-even roads?

Also, does your car have the "shimmy" @ 60mph and then go away at 70+?

Now with the car on the new RS-A's and stock rims my shimmy and wandering the road problems are gone.

No, haven't had any problems with them so far. Glad your new RSA's are working out!
Old 12-12-2007, 12:24 AM

I'm glad you made it safely. Are you going to stay put long enough for some of it to melt off?
Nah, had to get to Nevada. I left this morning. It was still raining. I hit I40 West and hauled *** to get clear of any more ice, thankfully the rest of trip went without incident. Arrived here (Laughlin, NV) 2 hours ago.

sorry if i'm going offtopic but i must ask... why does the civic has a sticker that says "I (heart) my Honda" backwards?
He put it on backwards.

Goodyear Eagle F1s on the ice FTW?
My bad. they are the A/S.

Congrats on the safe ride. That was a risky venture you took!

Glad to hear the tires were solid for ya. My next set are gonna be the Eagle F1 All-Seasons. Everything I have read on them says they are rock solid.
Thank you, didn't have much choice I drive through OK every year. Could have waited but I learned driving cross country in winter is always a challenge. Yep, these tires did amazing. I also got into a little bit of bad road condition in Flagstaff for a brief period and they also just performed great.

My car is so dirty! I am taking it to the self serve wash in the morning.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:32 AM
aka The Doom Ship

I take it this a round trip? I don't feel so bad as I usually drive from Texas to NY almost yearly.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by NIKV69
I know the roads were dangerous but I would have kept going and found a different motel so I wouldn't have to park next to a HONDA!!!
Old 12-12-2007, 02:08 PM

I take it this a round trip? I don't feel so bad as I usually drive from Texas to NY almost yearly
Yep I will be heading back in March. I have taken both the north and south routes home. The Max has seen Devil's Tower, The GC etc. It's fun.

I know the roads were dangerous but I would have kept going and found a different motel so I wouldn't have to park next to a HONDA!!!
I wish I could of, but I was dead. I wouldn't have wished that night on my worst enemy. It was a decent motel with power and wifi so I was all over it. Hey Honda people are ok.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:04 PM

dang... thats what i call Ice