6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Front/ Rear endlinks

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 08:17 PM

Front/ Rear endlinks

I will be doing the the front and rear endlinks this coming weekend but wanted to get any heads up from the ppl who already have done them? any advise? anything to watch out for? a guide to installing them? Thanks ahead of time
Old 12-18-2007, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by MiamiBlackMax
I will be doing the the front and rear endlinks this coming weekend but wanted to get any heads up from the ppl who already have done them? any advise? anything to watch out for? a guide to installing them? Thanks ahead of time
Bump.

Pre-Load tips anyone?
Old 12-18-2007, 11:16 AM

Make sure to put both sides of the car on jack stands. Jacking one wheel up at a time puts tension on them and makes them a bit more difficult to get on/off. I jack one wheel at a time and put a second floor jack under the wheel hub though

Also get some bolt buster and have a breaker bar handy. I can't seem to bust the bolts on my fronts, otherwise those would be on by now. I just ordered an air ratchet I'm going to try...

Worst case the dremel comes out and I cut those bolts off...
Old 12-18-2007, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Hilbe
Make sure to put both sides of the car on jack stands. Jacking one wheel up at a time puts tension on them and makes them a bit more difficult to get on/off. I jack one wheel at a time and put a second floor jack under the wheel hub though

Also get some bolt buster and have a breaker bar handy. I can't seem to bust the bolts on my fronts, otherwise those would be on by now. I just ordered an air ratchet I'm going to try...

Careful with that air ratchet. They don't have an internal clutch like an impact and can smash your hand into the frame or something solid if the bolt doesn't let go. PB Blaster is my favorite, but Liquid Wrench is cheaper and easier to find. Does anyone make a front sway bar upgrade? I believe I read the Altima SE-R's fits? Probably hard to find used.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:50 AM

Once you get the wheel off, its just 2 bolts on each endlink. Simple.

I'm concerned about the smashing of fingers. We'll see.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:41 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=543640
Old 12-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by QwikKota
Careful with that air ratchet. They don't have an internal clutch like an impact and can smash your hand into the frame or something solid if the bolt doesn't let go. PB Blaster is my favorite, but Liquid Wrench is cheaper and easier to find. Does anyone make a front sway bar upgrade? I believe I read the Altima SE-R's fits? Probably hard to find used.
The SE-R bar does fit. Part number ends in ZB900 I believe.

Last edited by DeusExMaxima; 12-19-2007 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
he Se_R bar does fit. Part number ends in ZB900 I believe.
Cool, is it stiffer than the Max's? I bet they are expensive new from the stealership. Thx
Old 12-18-2007, 01:41 PM

Cool, is it stiffer than the Max's? I bet they are expensive new from the stealership. Thx
The bar, bushings and brackets are about $100 from stealership, quite a bargain and its 2 mm thicker than the Maximas. Search on here for threads on this good topic.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:03 PM

$92.44 shipped with brackets, bushings and bar from....a site that is not book-marked on this computer! I'll get back to you on the site
Old 12-18-2007, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
$92.44 shipped with brackets, bushings and bar from....a site that is not book-marked on this computer! I'll get back to you on the site
Thanks a bunch to you and Deus. I def want to get that and that is a really good deal. Is the SE-R rear bar worth upgrading to? I am trying to snag that Progress bar so I will prob go with that anyway. If you could get that URL that would rock.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:15 PM

thanks for all the help...this weekend im going to do the most of the suspension (front & rear endlinks, struts/shocks, swar bar,FTB,springs) so ill post up pics soon
Old 12-19-2007, 12:46 AM

Thanks a bunch to you and Deus. I def want to get that and that is a really good deal. Is the SE-R rear bar worth upgrading to? I am trying to snag that Progress bar so I will prob go with that anyway. If you could get that URL that would rock.
Cant go wrong for $90 for front. Sway bars make a significant difference in handling.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:55 AM

Can't this Altima Nismo bars also be used. I read those are the thickest. You get both front and rear together for $350 I believe....
Old 12-19-2007, 05:22 AM

Cant go wrong for $90 for front. Sway bars make a significant difference in handling.
I had done a full susp. swap on one of my first vehicles and it was too harsh of a ride so I put the factory suspension back on with good shocks and the aftermarket sways. It had a great mix of ride and performance. Not near as good of handling but body roll is really annoying to me so minimizing that is my goal. I am not sure if the front end links will reduce it or are more for fine tuning you turn in and pre-loading the bar, etc. If they help I will eventually get them.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:05 AM

Endlinks reduce roll because there is less play. They are MUCH stouter than the spindly factory units and they look pretty damn cool too.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:40 AM

Endlinks reduce roll because there is less play. They are MUCH stouter than the spindly factory units and they look pretty damn cool too.
Cool. Now to find the seller of the SE-R bar. Was it from a dealership giving discounts? Thx
Old 12-19-2007, 11:07 AM

Sorry for the website delay, but here it is.

www.1stAAANissanParts.com

You can find the part #'s in the stickies, or just give them a call

Good luck,
Dan
Old 12-19-2007, 11:12 AM

Can't this Altima Nismo bars also be used. I read those are the thickest. You get both front and rear together for $350 I believe....
I know that the front NISMO is a little thicker than the SE-R bar, but the rear NISMO is just as thick as the Cattman, or visa versa...either way $115 (around there) for the Cattman + $92.44 (unless prices have changed) for the SE-R bar =$207.44 SHIPPED compared to NISMO's $350 + shipping probably

Cattman/SE-R > NISMO on pricing

NISMO > Cattman/SE-R "NISMO" and slightly thicker bar
Old 12-19-2007, 11:27 AM

Sorry for the website delay, but here it is.

www.1stAAANissanParts.com

You can find the part #'s in the stickies, or just give them a call

Good luck,
Dan
Awesome, thanks Dan. I see that the 2006 SE-R bar is only $75 shipped, that's great. I take it I also need to buy the bushings as well? Do the factory brackets/clamps for the main bushings work? I'd prefer polyurethane, Energy Suspension probably has something but they are only $6 from that site. I appreciate, bookmark added.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:32 AM

Awesome, thanks Dan. I see that the 2006 SE-R bar is only $75 shipped, that's great. I take it I also need to buy the bushings as well? Do the factory brackets/clamps for the main bushings work? I'd prefer polyurethane, Energy Suspension probably has something but they are only $6 from that site. I appreciate, bookmark added.
!DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT! Get Energy suspension bushings for the FRONTS...you can get them for the rears, but NOT for the fronts! I said NOT, right?

When I did the SE-R bar mod, I ordered to sets of proper sized bushings from ES and the rears will work, but the fronts have a retarded bracket that will not accommodate the ES bushings, nor will the brackets that ES provides fit because of the design Nissan has.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:40 AM

!DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT! Get Energy suspension bushings for the FRONTS...you can get them for the rears, but NOT for the fronts! I said NOT, right?

When I did the SE-R bar mod, I ordered to sets of proper sized bushings from ES and the rears will work, but the fronts have a retarded bracket that will not accommodate the ES bushings, nor will the brackets that ES provides fit because of the design Nissan has.
Ah, that sux. So just use the traditional rubber bushings. What about our factory brackets? I didn't really see a place to buy the Altima brackets and there is no specific bushing for SE-R's. Just 04-06 etc. Lol, I finally figured out what the oldthread vs showthread address did. Sway Bar upgrade link

CRAP! I forgot how much of a pain it was to get the steering rack out/in on my 96 and how the sway bar was in the way. Doh! I will contemplate this mod but that is a major amount of work for a simple sway bar. Dangit...
Old 12-19-2007, 11:42 AM

Ah, that sux. So just use the traditional rubber bushings. What about our factory brackets? I didn't really see a place to buy the Altima brackets and there is no specific bushing for SE-R's. Just 04-06 etc. Lol, I finally figured out what the oldthread vs showthread address did. Sway Bar upgrade link

CRAP! I forgot how much of a pain it was to get the steering rack out/in on my 96 and how the sway bar was in the way. Doh! I will contemplate this mod but that is a major amount of work for a simple sway bar. Dangit...
Ya, you have to use the bushings/brackets that come with the SE-R bar.

When my tech did this, all that he did was drop the subframe and there was no problem with the steering column like Deus had
Old 12-19-2007, 11:52 AM

Ya, you have to use the bushings/brackets that come with the SE-R bar.

When my tech did this, all that he did was drop the subframe and there was no problem with the steering column like Deus had
I could get the bar out of my 96 without dropping the subframe but I do believe the rear motor mount had to come down and the front to rear crossmember thing. That sucked and I bought this car not to have to work on it, lol. Rear bar, intake etc is cake. I do all my own work so my free time is directly related to mod wrenching time. Def don't want to mess up the alignment, hard to get the steering wheel recentered without an alignment.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:10 PM

That is the technique I used but make sure you have hte breaker bar handy and some pb blaster helps as well.