6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

worst wipers ever?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 11:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

worst wipers ever?

Does anyone have problems with smears on their windshields during rain? I have tried two different wiper brands, BOSCH and NISSAN, and I have tried cleaning my windshield 15 different ways and my wipers still leave smears.

The smearing is only noticeable during certain lighting conditions, and wind force on the windshield from driving blows it clear in about half a second, but if you are using the wipers at a high speed on a road with overhead lighting it is extremely annoying.

Has anyone else noticed this??

I have also tried all different combinations of cabin temp, and defroster settings and nothing seems to help.

On a side note, I have noticed that stopping or slowing after a long haul (5+ hours @ high speed), something is getting vented off the engine dead center and creates condensation about the size of a football on the outside of the windshield that can be wipered off. My theory is that our windshields are getting coated with engine burn off residue. Possibly something that needs to run its course because the car is new?

Very curious if anyone else has experience either of these phenomenons.

Respect.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:28 PM

I had the stock Nissan wipers when I first bought the car and I thought they were okay. about a year or a year and a half later when they were due for a change I got a set of Bosch Icon blades and couldn't be happier. I've had them over a year now and it still performs perfectly. I dunno, maybe your windshield is dirty from the oil that other cars' tires pick up and mist on your windshield

about the outside condensation thing, I don't know
Old 12-19-2007, 12:13 AM

I use a Bosch and never had a problem
Old 12-19-2007, 02:12 AM

Do you ever use one of those touchless washes that sprays hot wax over the entire car (including the windows)? Has anyone ever put 'RAIN-X' on your windshield (that causes annoying sheeting, and can be almost impossible to ever get off)?

I try to avoid driving behind other vehicles when it is raining (I know; not always possible), because the water vehicles in front of you throw up includes oil that floats to the surface of roadways when it rains.

I'm sure you are cleaning your wiper blades thoroughly when you clean your windshield?

The football shaped thingie is interesting. I have not experienced this. You say the wipers wipe it off? If it in fact contains any oil at all, the wipers are simply distributing it in a sheet across your windshield.

Driving under overhead lights at night (or into the sun in daytime) really emphasize anything that may be on your windshield, whether inside or outside the car.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:17 AM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

Bosch & Rain-X r the way to go just make sure u have the right measurements of the wipers when u buy them
Old 12-19-2007, 03:17 AM
Learning English...

Valeo Silencio X-trm FTW

Old 12-19-2007, 03:36 AM

The worse? Bosch icons.

I have done everything possible to make sure it wasn't because of the window itself.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by brio_max
Valeo Silencio X-trm FTW

I just bought a pair and they are the best.. Better than Bosch..
Old 12-19-2007, 05:58 AM

PIAA
Super Silicone Wiper Blades
http://www.autobarn.net/pisupsilwipb1.html

Ive had mine for over 2 years and they still work great. I also clean them often too. Worth the money imo.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:20 AM

Never had any problem with bosch or nissan. They usually last around 2 years or so. BTW where do you get the Valeo Silencio X-trm. I would like to try them.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:44 AM

still have the nissan stock one and no problems w/ them yet. just over 2 yrs on them
Old 12-19-2007, 09:08 AM

Photogus, I have experienced both of your problems, not because I too own a 07'SL but because we might have done something similar.

I was washing my car with Rain-X Wash & Wax with Carnauba Wax Beads. I used the same to wash my windshield. After that the smearing started happening. I haven't done anything to it yet but next time will wash the windshield with something without wax in it. I think, oil can also cause the same thing. BTW, I have stock wipers.

Regarding the condensation, this is bound to happen if the temperature difference between the inside and outside of the windshield is high. The easiest way to get rid of it is to run the windshield defroster at a high temperature. Normally, I can get rid of it by running it at 85 deg. Sometimes that makes people inside the car feel hot. Then I use the wiper. I had posted a thread on this before but can't find it now.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Do you ever use one of those touchless washes that sprays hot wax over the entire car (including the windows)? Has anyone ever put 'RAIN-X' on your windshield (that causes annoying sheeting, and can be almost impossible to ever get off)?

I try to avoid driving behind other vehicles when it is raining (I know; not always possible), because the water vehicles in front of you throw up includes oil that floats to the surface of roadways when it rains.

I'm sure you are cleaning your wiper blades thoroughly when you clean your windshield?
I find RAIN-X also to not be in a windshields best interest. I cant imagine being able to avoid driving behind vehicles, particular in civilized areas, but if you can, more power to you. Cleaning wiper blades is important for a clean sweep of the glass during rain.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:29 AM

My BOSCH ICONS are FTW...maybe it's because I wash my car at least once a week and the glass cleaner that I use serves as a "protectant" as well because the water always beads very much before I use the wipers.