6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Adjusting headlights after lowering??

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 05:24 AM

Headlight adjustment question

Does anyone know how to adjust the horizontal aim of the 2007 headlights? When I look on the back of the housing, I only see one of those silver adjusting screws with the teeth on it which I'm assuming is for vertical adjustment. My lights are aimed too far to the left and I need them fixed!
Old 12-20-2007, 07:21 PM

Anyone?
Old 12-21-2007, 04:48 AM
Learning English...

I'm not familiar with the 6.5th gen headlights, but i know for sure that all 04-06' A34's have just one screw for the horizontal adjustment.
Maybe that's the one you sow...
Old 12-22-2007, 06:44 AM

Can someone please tell me the best way to get to the drivers side headlight adjustment screw on my 2005. I took a quick look at it last night and it seems like i might have to remove the whole STOCK air intake! if this is true any tips on removing it! OH yeahh i stayed stock because i refuse to lose any torque ecspecialy since my previous car was supercharghed. (2001 regal gs with a smaller pulley on superchargher i had at least 300 lb ft of torque) THANKS!
Old 12-22-2007, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by brio_max
I'm not familiar with the 6.5th gen headlights, but i know for sure that all 04-06' A34's have just one screw for the horizontal adjustment.
Maybe that's the one you sow...
So there isn't a vertical adjustment? That's kind of odd.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by sonikbewm
Does anyone know how to adjust the horizontal aim of the 2007 headlights? When I look on the back of the housing, I only see one of those silver adjusting screws with the teeth on it which I'm assuming is for vertical adjustment. My lights are aimed too far to the left and I need them fixed!
I was in there last night adjusting the height (finally got my Progress suspension in yesterday morning and the lights needed to be raised) and never even payed attention to the location of a horizontal adjustment screw ...if there even is one at all.

The silver screw you see is in fact the vertical adjustment screw. I just started removing intake pieces until I had good access to the screws. The intake is extremely easy to remove...maybe a 10 minute job if you haven't done it before. My suggestion would be to take the extra time to remove the intake (driver's side) and antifreeze reservoir (passenger's side) so you have good access to the entire rear of the headlight housings instead of trying to cram a tool in there.

The antifreeze reservoir is a piece of cake...two screws and it's out. Don't remove the hose...it's not necessary. Just remove the two screws and swing the reservoir around to lay on top of the radiator while you work on the light.

I may have some time to mess with the car tonight so while I'm out there I'll try to take some pics and post them up...
Old 12-22-2007, 05:25 PM
Learning English...

So there isn't a vertical adjustment? That's kind of odd.
When i was upgrading my headlights w/ aftermarket HIDs... i didn't see any other screws except one for the fog lights...

Here's what i found in the FSM

And HERE's the sticky for aiming adjustment and look at post #49
"i posted this picture a while back for the bulbs.
look at the screw under "orange blinker bulb" ... that screw adjusts up and down.
the other screw (has a plastic cap over it) goes from left to right"

So now i'm more confused than you
Old 12-22-2007, 06:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by brio_max
When i was upgrading my headlights w/ aftermarket HIDs... i didn't see any other screws except one for the fog lights...

Here's what i found in the FSM

And HERE's the sticky for aiming adjustment and look at post #49
"i posted this picture a while back for the bulbs.
look at the screw under "orange blinker bulb" ... that screw adjusts up and down.
the other screw (has a plastic cap over it) goes from left to right"

So now i'm more confused than you
Does this work for a 2004? I need to adjust one because there is a dark area in my way and it could be either bc the beam is shining too much towards center or too far down, im guessing its the former. Would appreciate any info on 04 adjsutment
Old 12-22-2007, 06:19 PM

That's really strange. I upgraded to HID too and that's when both of my headlights started shining too far to the left. I have an appointment to get them adjusted at the dealership during the week but I was really hoping to correct this problem on my own before I give them $35 to adjust them for me.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Does this work for a 2004?
Yes...the info brio posted is for the 04-06 max's. I found this as well when trying to find the info before tackling the headlights last night, but as you know, the 07's run the fogs in the bumper cover now and the headlight layout is a little different - although the vertical adjustment screw is in roughly the same spot.

I took everything apart again tonight in efforts of finding the horizontal adjustment screw...no luck, sorry sonikbewm. But at least I took some pics this time. I'm gonna try to put together a write-up of the process, but for now here's a couple of pics to get you movin in the right direction.

Here's the back of the driver's side housing showing the location of the vertical adjustment screw on an '07 max:

This is what it looks like with the intake removed to gain access to the screw:

The adjustment screw on the passenger side housing is in the exact same location. Hope this helps for now...
Old 12-23-2007, 12:15 AM
Learning English...

And now what? The final verdict is that just the 6.5th gen model has a screw for vertical adjustment? That sucks if that's true
Old 12-23-2007, 01:52 PM

Thanks guys 4 your help i went in the garage yesterday and removed to stock intake which was apeice of cake and the vertical screw is right there above the cap but the only problem i ran into was that after turning the screw forever in both directions the beam was not moving so i removed the cap and tried it again and that solved the problem. So it might be best to remove the cap before adjusting the screw especially if you have switched to 9006 hid kits!
Old 12-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Glad it helped
Old 12-23-2007, 06:50 PM

There has to be a way to adjust them from left to right.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PsoughtAftr
Yes...the info brio posted is for the 04-06 max's. I found this as well when trying to find the info before tackling the headlights last night, but as you know, the 07's run the fogs in the bumper cover now and the headlight layout is a little different - although the vertical adjustment screw is in roughly the same spot.

I took everything apart again tonight in efforts of finding the horizontal adjustment screw...no luck, sorry sonikbewm. But at least I took some pics this time. I'm gonna try to put together a write-up of the process, but for now here's a couple of pics to get you movin in the right direction.

Here's the back of the driver's side housing showing the location of the vertical adjustment screw on an '07 max:

This is what it looks like with the intake removed to gain access to the screw:

The adjustment screw on the passenger side housing is in the exact same location. Hope this helps for now...
Thanks man, i posted a thread awhile ago for a pic of this before I went and took out everything to get at it, driving at night my passenger light shines out farther on the ground by atleast 20' and it drives me crazy. Hopefully its that the driver's side is down too far not too much to the right, because that adjustment is in an easy location
Old 12-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

There has to be a way to adjust them from left to right.
I agree. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to really crawl around the engine compartment that night before I needed to put it back together and take off.

My guess it the horizontal adjustment is mainly determined by the acutal mounting points of the entire headlight housing and any adjustment may need to be made at those points...but I'd be shocked if there isn't an easier way.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:45 PM

Ok, according to the service manager at the Nissan dealership, there is no adjusting with the beam horizontally on the '07's. Now a question I have is, when I installed my HID kit, the metal bar on the HID bulb is on the left side of the bulb. Could that possibly be causing my beam to shine too far to the left? Should I remove the bulb and shave down the tabs until that metal bar is straight down on the bulb? I'm about to take these things out and put the HIR's back in until I can find some OEM xenon housings for sale on eBay.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Adjusting headlights after lowering??

I've tried to search around to see if you guys reaim/readjust your headlights after lowering the car. I'll be putting on the progress springs today or tomorrow and it's a much bigger drop in the front than the rear, so I figured that the headlights would be pointing lower than stock. Just curious if you guys leave them or readjust them. If so, any specs, distance, height etc.
Thanks
Old 12-27-2007, 08:13 AM
MAXIN' ON

About 7 posts down.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=548311
Old 12-27-2007, 07:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by redls1
Thanks, I looked at just the couple of first ones, didn't get that far.

Anyone else have any input?