6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

tranny cooler? oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:50 PM

tranny cooler? oil cooler?

any one have these in their car?

tranny cooler
advantages of the stillen one over the pep boys ones besides name?
http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...N&model=MAXIMA

oil cooler

advantages? disadvantages? and whats with this:
NOTE: Oil Cooler Kit cannot be mounted on a 350Z with a long and low aftermarket cold air intake system due to interference issues.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:00 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the addition of an oil cooler cause more harm than good on our cars? If it's too cool and doesn't get to operating temperatures, then it'd be like womping on the car with the motor still cold since the oil is still "thick."

Unless you plan on only using it in the summer because you may have issues in the winter.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:18 PM

good point sir. iono. techs fill in?
Old 01-03-2008, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the addition of an oil cooler cause more harm than good on our cars? If it's too cool and doesn't get to operating temperatures, then it'd be like womping on the car with the motor still cold since the oil is still "thick."

Unless you plan on only using it in the summer because you may have issues in the winter.

That's an "interesting" way of looking at it, made me smile but not quite right. Any cooling system let it be for anti-freeze, motor or trans oil, purpose is to keep the temperature at an optimal level. More-so most have thermostats that make the system work only when needed. In lamens terms when it cold out they will basically be useless they wont make cold oil colder. Many people especially anyone who does any type of towing swear by trans coolers. This is because the more stress on tranny, the hotter it will get, and heat is the major source of trans failures. I really don't find a major difference between a generic and the stillen cooler except that the stillen product maybe more of a plug and play/vehicle specific unit and cost a lot more. If your under warranty might want to think twice about using these products as we all know dealers don't always like aftermarket products regardless who makes them and if they are in-fact beneficial to our cars health. Btw IMO a motor oil cooler is not really needed unless you are racing the car, I would just invest in a quality synthetic oil.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by carlosr
Btw IMO a motor oil cooler is not really needed unless you are racing the car, I would just invest in a quality synthetic oil.
Ditto! I sell/use Amsoil and even hard street usage it would be tough to exceed its operating range and abilities. I run a power steering cooler on the truck which is just a 7"x12" tranny cooler mounted directly behind the Viper fan I installed. Helped a good bit but that is severely beat on with a giant front weight biased vehicle and autocross slicks abusing the steering rack and pump.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:47 PM
dot dot dot ...

Is your car MT or AT?
Old 01-04-2008, 04:15 PM

5AT cmon manny thought u knew my car?
Old 01-04-2008, 04:19 PM
dot dot dot ...

Damn dude, you laid 260 in that AT? Jesus! But yup, both of them would be a good idea since you're spraying, correct? I've always thought about the oil cooler for my 4th gen, but decided not to, your car already has one, but obviously that one is better.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Damn dude, you laid 260 in that AT? Jesus! But yup, both of them would be a good idea since you're spraying, correct? I've always thought about the oil cooler for my 4th gen, but decided not to, your car already has one, but obviously that one is better.
262.22 whp actually spray? wat is this spray u speak of?
Old 01-04-2008, 11:52 PM
dot dot dot ...

Old 01-05-2008, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Look-at-my-MAX
262.22 whp actually spray? wat is this spray u speak of?
What mods do you have then?
Old 01-05-2008, 02:13 PM

What mods do you have then?
eh you know.. the basic bolt ons here and there. i posted a dyno sheet up here a long time ago.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:27 PM

eh you know.. the basic bolt ons here and there. i posted a dyno sheet up here a long time ago.

Modest modder.....
Old 01-05-2008, 11:53 PM
dot dot dot ...

He's a bad ***, furr real!!
Old 01-06-2008, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
He's a bad ***, furr real!!

I hope I can get numbers as good when headers finally arrive. Maybe even higher.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:00 AM

I'm shooting for higher...beating AllBlackMax and Look-at-my-MAX...

Oh ya...I couldn't find your thread in the dyno section I looked back since almost the beginning
Old 01-06-2008, 03:05 PM

lol it was in the 6th gen threads. not the dyno sections. hold on let me hop onto nycmaximas and look for it

EDIT HERE YA GO!

http://forums.nycmaximas.org/showthread.php?t=24495
Old 01-06-2008, 03:21 PM

stop slackinnn and get that sprayyyy onnn u humppp
Old 01-06-2008, 04:07 PM

lol it was in the 6th gen threads. not the dyno sections. hold on let me hop onto nycmaximas and look for it

EDIT HERE YA GO!

http://forums.nycmaximas.org/showthread.php?t=24495
Don't want to register just to see that thread.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:17 PM
MAXIN' ON

dyno
Attached Thumbnails tranny cooler? oil cooler?-dyno.jpg   tranny cooler? oil cooler?-dyno-2.jpg  
Old 01-06-2008, 04:26 PM

So what are your mods? What'd you use to tune it? What's the AFR you were going for?
Old 01-06-2008, 04:31 PM
MAXIN' ON

Doesnt say anything in the thread except bolt on"s.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:15 PM

again I say, modest modder.....
Old 01-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

any one have these in their car?

tranny cooler
advantages of the stillen one over the pep boys ones besides name?

oil cooler

advantages? disadvantages? and whats with this:
NOTE: Oil Cooler Kit cannot be mounted on a 350Z with a long and low aftermarket cold air intake system due to interference issues.

Stillen cooler won't work on 05 and up because we have the heatsink type cooler. No lines to hook into. Looks like it's only for the 4AT

"2.5L / 3.5L - (Except 05-06 w/Heat Sink Type Cooler)"

Last edited by Apollos2; 01-07-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by redls1
dyno
thx for linkin it here.
http://forums.maxima.org/attachment....9&d=1199665038
Originally Posted by shawndon
again I say, modest modder.....
http://forums.maxima.org/attachment....0&d=1199665155

THERE it is if any1 has missed it.^^^

lol theres no secret. i just have every bolt on that has been made for our cars. ex. intake headers exhaust blah blah. tuned with safc2 i forgot what the AFR was but its somewhere along 13.1 area. theres another mod that i havent really gotten to yet but i will post a dyno sometime in the spring after its tuned.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:51 AM

thx for linkin it here.
http://forums.maxima.org/attachment....9&d=1199665038

http://forums.maxima.org/attachment....0&d=1199665155

THERE it is if any1 has missed it.^^^

lol theres no secret. i just have every bolt on that has been made for our cars. ex. intake headers exhaust blah blah. tuned with safc2 i forgot what the AFR was but its somewhere along 13.1 area. theres another mod that i havent really gotten to yet but i will post a dyno sometime in the spring after its tuned.
Its not that hard to type a list dude. 261whp is 60+ over stock. I don't see bolt ons freeing up that much power. Do you have a catless Y-pipe? Cattman's just came out afaik. The power curve ramps up smoothly so it doesn't look like nitrous. Power numbers point to forced induction of some kind. The Maxima has always been pretty efficient from the factory so mods are not as productive as some other cars which are bottled up from the get go.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:08 PM

I think the tranny cooler is definitly a good idea as I'm looking to get one. As my tranny is acting up.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by QwikKota
Its not that hard to type a list dude. 261whp is 60+ over stock. I don't see bolt ons freeing up that much power. Do you have a catless Y-pipe? Cattman's just came out afaik. The power curve ramps up smoothly so it doesn't look like nitrous. Power numbers point to forced induction of some kind. The Maxima has always been pretty efficient from the factory so mods are not as productive as some other cars which are bottled up from the get go.
Youz a cool dude, but wtf are you talking about here?

There have been a couple members putting down numbers like that with all bolt-ons and a tune.

If he has forced induction with "those numbers," then those are some ****ty numbers, and I'm wondering what Chernmax has paired with his REAL f/i...

I would guess that these are his mods if he says he has all bolt-ons available...

Hotshot headers
Cattman or Greddy Cat-back
UDP
CAI
IMS
possible SSIM?
TS maybe?
Tune
some other minor things here and there?

=right around that ball-park

Last edited by !PrjctMax!; 01-07-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:30 PM

There have been a couple members putting down numbers like that with all bolt-ons and a tune.

If he has forced induction with "those numbers," then those are some ****ty numbers, and I'm wondering what Chernmax has paired with his REAL f/i...

I would guess that these are his mods if he says he has all bolt-ons available...

Hotshot headers
UDP
CAI
IMS
possible SSIM?
TS maybe?
Tune

DING DING DING!!! you are correct sir. except its ebay headers lol i was too late to hop on the hotshot train. also completely port/polished upper lower intake manifold. pulley etc etc. no TS though =( i might invest in one later but leaning towards EMU but cant just get a 350z one since its rwd etc.

and lol if i was FI what a shame.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:30 PM

DING DING DING!!! you are correct sir. except its ebay headers lol i was too late to hop on the hotshot train. also completely port/polished upper lower intake manifold. pulley etc etc. no TS though =( i might invest in one later but leaning towards EMU but cant just get a 350z one since its rwd etc.

and lol if i was FI what a shame.
:respect: <----that smiley should be made!

So more is doable with Cattman headers since they are going to be made specifically for our car!

PM me your write-ups for the IM polishing if you can.

With the TS you would have better results from your SAFC because it wouldn't "over-write" the settings after a while.

You do know that you CAN use the EMU, correct? Doesn't matter if it's rwd or not. There are a couple 4th genners using them right now, but all I know is that they have been known to blow coil-packs.

Maybe you want my E-Manage Blue w/harness for a direct plug n' play? see sig.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:41 PM

if i get a emanage blue its basically the same as the SAFC. and the 4th/5th gens that run EMU have been 3.0s.
heres dandymax's writeup for the 3.0s http://www.vqpower.com/v2/readarticle.php?article_id=26

and this is what vipervadim has said:
Q.. is there somebody running an EU on a 02+ max (FWD vq35 w. VTCs)???

b/c from what I (currently) know there has been nobody that has made it work with those yrs crank/cam signals.. since the 3.5L RWD is diff crank sensors.. therefore it won't work for ignition adjustment

95-01 3.0L crank/cam signals work and have been tested numerous times..
same goes for the hybrid 3.5L's with 3.0 timing components..

as for port and polish. get a dremel take out upper/lower IM and sit there and work that dremel for 20 yrs give or take and throw it back on! =)
Old 01-07-2008, 06:37 PM

lol on IM...so it's like my R/C exhaust manifold but full size and much more complicated!
Old 01-07-2008, 07:54 PM
No more Maximas...

if i get a emanage blue its basically the same as the SAFC. and the 4th/5th gens that run EMU have been 3.0s.
heres dandymax's writeup for the 3.0s http://www.vqpower.com/v2/readarticle.php?article_id=26

and this is what vipervadim has said:
Q.. is there somebody running an EU on a 02+ max (FWD vq35 w. VTCs)???

b/c from what I (currently) know there has been nobody that has made it work with those yrs crank/cam signals.. since the 3.5L RWD is diff crank sensors.. therefore it won't work for ignition adjustment

95-01 3.0L crank/cam signals work and have been tested numerous times..
same goes for the hybrid 3.5L's with 3.0 timing components..

as for port and polish. get a dremel take out upper/lower IM and sit there and work that dremel for 20 yrs give or take and throw it back on! =)
Are you trying to say there's no VQ35s with EU's? I installed one myself on an A33B, and it runs perfectly...

Good thread, too: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=408455
Old 01-08-2008, 12:17 PM

Hotshot headers
UDP
CAI
IMS
possible SSIM?
TS maybe?
Tune

Correct me if I'm wrong, but going with a 20% drivetrain loss 262whp is 328 crank hp. 72.5 hp gained from bolt ons and no tune? How is that possible? A poorly tuned forced induction setup could make that power range, but properly setup should be more of course. What irks me is TS doesn't even post dyno sheets or list average or peak hp gains from customers cars. Judging by posts here it does make additional power so I am confused why they don't use it as advertising. That made the biggest difference in every vehicle I've modified with bolt ons. Timing increase has a much more direct effect on output. That's great if people are making those #'s with all bolt ons and most likely the tranny is more efficient that the figures I'm using.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:15 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but going with a 20% drivetrain loss 262whp is 328 crank hp. 72.5 hp gained from bolt ons and no tune? How is that possible? A poorly tuned forced induction setup could make that power range, but properly setup should be more of course. What irks me is TS doesn't even post dyno sheets or list average or peak hp gains from customers cars. Judging by posts here it does make additional power so I am confused why they don't use it as advertising. That made the biggest difference in every vehicle I've modified with bolt ons. Timing increase has a much more direct effect on output. That's great if people are making those #'s with all bolt ons and most likely the tranny is more efficient that the figures I'm using.
In his original post he was tuned with an SAFC 2. And to add there are a few altima guys putting down numbers like that as well with similar mods.

here is the thread he started with header dyno sheets. It lists his mods
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=397939
Old 01-08-2008, 01:26 PM

In his original post he was tuned with an SAFC 2. And to add there are a few altima guys putting down numbers like that as well with similar mods.

here is the thread he started with header dyno sheets. It lists his mods
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=397939
SAFC doesn't have anything to do with timing which is where most horsepower is made from available bolt ons. Pretty good #'s for not touching the advance.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:30 PM

SAFC doesn't have anything to do with timing which is where most horsepower is made from available bolt ons. Pretty good #'s for not touching the advance.
Yeah but that was the tuning method used. He never mentioned a timing advance that power was made from tuning the A/F along with other mods.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:35 PM

Yeah but that was the tuning method used. He never mentioned a timing advance that power was made from tuning the A/F along with other mods.
"Pretty good #'s for not touching the advance."

echo echo lol
Old 01-08-2008, 01:37 PM

oh noess ive been exposed! lol
Old 01-08-2008, 01:46 PM

"Pretty good #'s for not touching the advance."

echo echo lol
Now me wants to see numbers with the advance who knows maybe close to 300

Quick Reply: tranny cooler? oil cooler?