6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Before I trade it in!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 08:18 PM

Before I trade it in!!

Ok

15 Service Attempts.
3 Sets of struts.
1 Set of springs.
7 Wheel Alignments
10 Wheel Balances (2 Road Force)
2 Sets of rotors
3 Sets of brake pads
2 Strut boots

To this day, the Maxima still doesn't ride right. I took it to a reputable dealer and I was told, we don't know what else to do, you just have to deal with it.

Now i'm hesitant to call consumer affairs again because my last trip with them wasn't a good one and i'm not in a position to consult legal help and press the issue. Besides after calling consumer affairs the dealership treats you like a red headed tattletail.

I took it in for service this go round for a few noises which turned out to be a wheel bearing, front sway bar, wheel balance and a strut boot. The wheel bearing was fixed on the first service while the sway bar and strut boot on following visits.

After the bearing was replaced they performed a wheel alignment and ever since then my steering wheel isn't straight. So I take it back the other 3 times to have the other noises fixed, the wheels re-aligned and the dreaded shimmy attended to. Needless to say the wheel still isn't straight and the rear end is again hopping around. This happened once before from an incorrect alignment.

The noises are now gone but the car is hopping again, i'm getting brake judder 3,000 miles after rotor and brake replacement and i'll probably end up having to pay for another alignment which isn't really an issue because I don't think i'm ever going back to a Nissan service department unless my engine or tranny blow.

So I reach out to the minds of the 6th gen forum and I hope to have someone appeal to my common sense.

Right now i'm not in a position financially to dump the Max and I love the car aside from the issues i've been having. I think it's more a case of people not knowing how to correctly diagnose an issue.

The car rides hard as hell. When I hit a bump I feel like the entire car will fall apart. I've checked my tire pressure over and over again and I've driven other Max's in the same generation and none of them feel like mine. I'm not sure if replacing the suspension is the answer because the dealer has said they've done it 3x and it still feels bad.

What other components of the front end could cause such harshness? Could the calipers or a problem with the braking system be causing the brake judder? Did we ever find or resolve the issue with the shimmy?

Replacing the struts, springs, wheels and realigning the car is a possibility but I want to be sure if there's anything else I need to do, I'm ready.

Any advice would be appreciated because right now with the price of gas and these continuous headaches, a 4 door compact is looking very nice about now. Besides to do all that work I'm well in the territory of a downpayment and a serious reduction in monthly payments.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:19 AM

Wow i feel your pain and seems like you have tried most things, I hope this was all under warranty. Did they or you check the notorious shield under the front end that seems to come loose causing wind to rattle it and/or make car unstable? I believe that's a TSb and in the sticky's. I am not 100% sure but I also think there's a recall on the rear i-beam as well. More-so did they give you a print out of pre and after figures on the wheel alignment? It should not be going off so quick unless they are doing something wrong which wouldn't surprise me. As for brake many people here have complained about stock rotors warping quickly but an issue after 3k miles that's ridiculous and I would go back to them to have it fixed or just a different dealer all together or maybe just get aftermarket rotors all together and replace them yourself.

Me personally I understand how frustrating lil noises/things can be, especially when our cars arent cheap. If you really love the car and dealer cant fix it maybe time to upgrade parts else where at a reputable place. I would get progress springs with koni's up front (gr2 IMO to ruff for NYC) and some brembo/rotora brake disc and more important a proper alignment. A different dealer might also have better luck or better trained technicians. good luck.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:03 AM
KC's FINEST

Bad driving habits..?
Old 01-22-2008, 11:16 AM
Newbie just Registered

Good luck w/ your next car.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:27 PM

lol
Old 01-22-2008, 03:29 PM
.org extraordinaire

buy a TATA Nano..........

http://jalopnik.com/343003/the-2500-...eiled-in-india

nuff said

Last edited by kamski; 01-22-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:31 PM

thats crazy...yea just get rid of that one...
Old 01-22-2008, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
Bad driving habits..?
If this was the case i'd own up to it but it isn't.

Thanks for the vote of confidence though.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:14 PM
大陆弟弟

Why not take it to someone trusted by us fellow owners to do service? Like TJ Max in Brooklyn, go to him and let him inspect, can't hurt to get an un-biased opinion.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:53 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Seems like after while all Nissans begin to ride harsh. It's like the struts wear out prematurely or somethin'. I'm just used to the harsh ride. I hate to say it but if the harsh bumps are a real issue I would say go with a Honda or Toyota product. I've rode in several old and new stock Hondas and Toyotas and I couldn't believe how good the struts controled the bumps.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:08 PM

Can you wait it out till the 2009 Max??? Start saving up =)