6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

What weight motor oil are you guy running???

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:06 AM

What weight motor oil are you guy running???

Please don't flame... What weight motor oil are you guy running??? Also can someone explain the diference in the weights and also the advantages of running synthetic, synthtic blend and regulat conventional oil??? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Royal Purple Synthetic 5W30
Old 01-29-2008, 11:41 AM

AMSOIL 100% Synthetic 5W30.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:45 AM

The difference in the weights is that one is "thicker" and one is "thinner." Some people change to the opposite one that they use in the summer for winter use due to the cold weather.

I'm not positive which is which, but I know that's the "difference"

5W30 Mobil 1 Synthetic in my baby
Old 01-29-2008, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the quick replies... Right now I'm running 5W-30 Mobil Synthetic Blend and I'm due for a change today and I'm considering moving over to complete Synthetic...
Old 01-29-2008, 12:07 PM

So Mobil 1 Synthetic is 1/2 synthetic
Old 01-29-2008, 12:07 PM
dot dot dot ...

Castrol Syntec, 5W-30 in the winter (currently obviously).

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
The difference in the weights is that one is "thicker" and one is "thinner." Some people change to the opposite one that they use in the summer for winter use due to the cold weather.

I'm not positive which is which, but I know that's the "difference"

5W30 Mobil 1 Synthetic in my baby
It's a reference to viscosity.

You might find some more opinions here:
http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52
Old 01-29-2008, 12:08 PM
dot dot dot ...

It's a Synthetic blend.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX

It's a reference to viscosity.

You might find some more opinions here:
http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52
Viscosity, there we go! That was the word I was lacking

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
It's a Synthetic blend.
Oh wow... lol
Old 01-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by chernmax
Royal Purple Synthetic 5W30
What he said . . . .
Old 01-29-2008, 12:43 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I use Mobil 1 5W30. It is fully synthetic oil as stated on mobil's site (see copy below). I also use Mobil 1 oil filter and I change the oil every 6K miles.

Product Description
Mobil 1 5W-30 is a high performance fully synthetic engine oil designed to exceed the industry's toughest standards and outperform all conventional oils.. Mobil 1 5W-30 is engineered to help keep your engine running like new and extend engine life. Mobil 1 technology has been selected as original equipment by leading car builders such as, Chevrolet Corvette, Cadillac, Mercedes Benz AMG, Porsche, Dodge Viper, and Dodge Ram SRT 10.

<A name=FeaturesAdvantageBenefitsTitle>Features and Benefits
Mobil 1 5W-30 is made with a proprietary blend of high performance synthetic basestocks fortified with an advanced additive system. Mobil 1 5W-30 is one of the most recommended viscosity grades for new cars. This oil is uniquely designed to provide unsurpassed levels of performance, cleaning power and engine protection, while meeting the demanding ILSAC GF4 performance standards.

Features
Advantages and Potential Benefits Fully synthetic formula with SuperSyn Technology Helps prevent deposits and sludge build-up to enable long engine life Excellent overall lubrication and wear protection performance for all driving styles Outstanding thermal and oxidation stability Outstanding performance during the maximum oil change interval recommended in a vehicle’s owners manual Enhanced frictional properties Aids fuel economy Excellent low temperature capabilities Quick cold weather starting for ultra fast protection Helps to extend engine life
<A name=ApplicationsTitle>Applications
Mobil 1 5W-30 is recommended for all types of modern vehicles, including high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline and diesel multi-valve fuel injected engines found in passenger cars, SUVs, light vans and trucks.
  • Mobil 1 5W-30 is general purpose engine oil for all types of cars
  • Mobil 1 is not recommended for 2-Cycle or aviation engines, unless specifically approved by the manufacturer.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:18 PM
KC's FINEST

Mobil 1 5w-30.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:30 PM
MAXIN' ON

Anyone ever read about something like mobil 1 uses base 3 stock instead of the better base 4 now?
Old 01-29-2008, 01:51 PM

Here is how to read an oil symbol/weight:

The first number is the weight (viscosity) of the oil at low temps, the second is at high temps. 5w30 and 10w30 are the SAME viscosity at high temps. 5w is less viscous at low temps and that's what makes it a good choice for the winter (easier start ups).

As far as syn versus regular there's a ton of information out there about the difference, and benefits. Just search google.

Another good resource:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
Old 01-29-2008, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by merlin2375
Another good resource:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
BITOG is the mecca for oil fanatics! Definitely good info there.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:44 PM

Mobil 1 5W30
Old 01-29-2008, 02:45 PM

Anyone ever use the "German" blend of castrol synthetic? Also do you only have to the oil filter every other oil change when using synthetic?
Old 01-29-2008, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
What he said . . . .

Deus I also use the Mobil 1 high mileage filter (M110), the bigger one you told me about, works like a champ!!!

Last edited by chernmax; 02-02-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:26 PM

Well... I completed the oil change using the highly recommened Mobile 1 5W-30 with the Mobil 1 Oil Filter... Thanks for all the info. I looked into the Royal Purple line and its looks like good stuff.

BTW What interval do you guys change @ ???
Old 01-29-2008, 05:03 PM

I use AMSoil 0w-30 and change it out every 7500. It works great and my oil is still fine after 7500.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:10 PM
.org extraordinaire

AMSOIL 5W-40 EURO SPEC for summer, and CASTROL 0w-30 EURO SPEC for winter.

I track my car at the local GT track in the summer and the AMSOIL is fantastic for shear resistance and hi-temp viscosity and resistance to thermal breakdown.

Kamski
Old 01-29-2008, 05:30 PM

From 2007 Nissan Maxima manual:

(Page 9-5)
NISSAN recommends the use of an energy conserving oil in order to improve fuel economy.

Oil viscosity
The engine oil viscosity or thickness changes with temperature. Because of this, it is important to select the engine oil viscosity based on the temperatures at which the vehicle will be operated before the next oil change. Choosing an oil viscosity other than that recommended could cause serious engine damage.

Change intervals
The oil and oil filter change intervals for your engine are based on the use of the specified quality oils and filters. Using engine oil and filters that are not of the specified quality, or exceeding recommended oil and filter change intervals could reduce engine life. Damage to the engine caused by improper maintenance or use of incorrect oil and filter quality and/or viscosity is not covered by the NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty.

Recommended Fluids and Lubricants (Page 9-2)
Engine oil:
Drain and Refill
With oil filter change 4-1/2 qt
Without oil filter change 4-1/4 qt
Engine oil with API Certification Mark
Viscosity SAE 5W-30
Old 01-29-2008, 06:03 PM

What is a good time/mileage to change from regular oil to synthetic?

I have read synthetic provides better mpg and also requires less frequent oil change. Is that true?
Old 01-29-2008, 07:03 PM

I use mobil 1 5w30. Synthetic allows you to change oil less frequent amongst other benefits. Your interval will depend on your driving conditions. I do a lot of short distance city driving so I change it every 5k miles. If you do more long distance highway trips you can easily go 7.5k between changes.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:42 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by bb700092
What is a good time/mileage to change from regular oil to synthetic?

I have read synthetic provides better mpg and also requires less frequent oil change. Is that true?

change after 10K not earlier so that the engine has a chance to properly brake in. Synthetic oil will prolong brake-in process.

With synthetic oil you change every 6K miles or 1 year whichever comes first.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:46 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by carlosr
I use mobil 1 5w30. Synthetic allows you to change oil less frequent amongst other benefits. Your interval will depend on your driving conditions. I do a lot of short distance city driving so I change it every 5k miles. If you do more long distance highway trips you can easily go 7.5k between changes.
correct, if you drive like my pop you can easily change every 7.5 to 10k miles or more. A while back i sent my spent oil for analysis to blackstone and after 7K miles it still had life left in it. I keep the RPM high here and there so I change every 6K, just because it only costs me about $45 for the oil change which includes 4.5 quarts of mobil 1 5W30, mobil one filter M108 I believe and the change. My uncle (avid mechanic) says its a waste but hey, I can't complain.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:48 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Deus I also use the Mobil 1 high mileage filer (M110), the bigger one you told me about, works like a champ!!!

interesting, will look into that.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:55 PM

I use the unusual choice, Quaker full synthetic 10w/30, I recently switched to synthetic. It's not Mobil1, but it's Ferrari approved. If it's approved by their R&D, it's good for me.

I've also read synthetic keeps your engine cooler, which works better for the engine.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:29 AM

Viscosity, there we go! That was the word I was lacking

Oh wow... lol
That Mobil 7500 blend is real good to transition your car over to synthetic with. I am using Mobil 5000 now then will switch to the 7500. Car runs smoother than with the CRaPstrol dino oil the dealer put in it. I will run Amsoil XL-7500 synthetic after the blend. Its full synthetic but a little cheaper than their long range oil. Will change that at whatever the maximum Nissan recommended interval is.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
change after 10K not earlier so that the engine has a chance to properly brake in. Synthetic oil will prolong brake-in process.

With synthetic oil you change every 6K miles or 1 year whichever comes first.
Not sure where the 6k mile mark came from but that is a waste for full synthetic. Mobil 1 lists up to 15k miles and Amsoil full syn is 25k miles. I recommend to most of the people I sell Amsoil to that they run it at least 10k miles and swap filters at the halfway mark. If you are under warranty and don't want to run the oil that long full syn is kind of a waste of money. A blend is better. I would recommend an oil analysis if you are going to run a daily driver for a year on the same oil. My truck oil goes a year but it rarely gets driven. Fiance's Jeep gets the XL-7500 and oil changes at max interval per warranty of 6k. Its not a blend but its priced like one!
Old 01-31-2008, 01:25 PM

QwikKota - I agree with everything you say, except I feel you may have been a tad harsh on the old Castrol dino oil. I ran that exact oil for 206,000 miles (mostly Atlanta commuting - very bad conditions) in a Maxima, and the engine was in wonderful condition when I let the car go. That was back before synthetic oil became 'the rage'.

Even today, I still have no problem running the Castrol dino the first twenty or thirty thousand miles, as that enables me to change the less-expensive dino oil at the intervals specified in the warranty manual, as well as enabling the engine parts to be completely 'fitted in'. For those less concerned with warranty issues, engine experts still recommend at least 10K miles with dino or blend before changing to full synthetic, which is so good it inhibits normal and necessary engine breakin.

I see you are properly staging through blends, which is very good. There are some on the ORG who go to full synthetic very early (some as early as when they buy the car new), which is not only a waste of money, but not the best thing for the car, as it greatly prolongs the breakin period, meaning the engine is not running at full efficiency for the first twenty to thirty thousand miles or so.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
QwikKota - I agree with everything you say, except I feel you may have been a tad harsh on the old Castrol dino oil. I ran that exact oil for 206,000 miles (mostly Atlanta commuting - very bad conditions) in a Maxima, and the engine was in wonderful condition when I let the car go. That was back before synthetic oil became 'the rage'.
I sell Amsoil, I have to hate everything else right? lol One of their oils dyes the engines inside surfaces green, but I think its the full synthetic. Not a big issues, just kind of weird. For Maximas as long as you are rigorous on the oil changes I think the engines quality is more of a determining factor than the oil's. I hope the VQ35 has the same reputation as the VQ30 for that. I went to school in Atlanta I know all about the crappy traffic and how fast you need to accelerate to avoid being run over.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:26 PM

Is that like being 1/2 pregnant???
Old 02-01-2008, 02:32 PM

10w30 mobil 1 extended performance with new mobil 1 oil filter every 2800-3000k
Old 02-02-2008, 10:56 AM

I got my first oil change at 2900 mi with a Castrol synthetic blend from the Nissan dealer where I bought my car. I got my second oil change at 6300 mi with Valvoline 10w30 from another Nissan dealer near my home (because the first one is far away).

I think my car was a little bit smoother after the first oil change than after the second. Is there any reason for this or is it psychological?
Old 02-02-2008, 05:47 PM

German Castrol 0w30 with an M1-110 filter changed every 5k, I should get an oil analysis to see what condition my oil is in with my weird driving style, my car sees highway driving, around town driving, maybe an average of 20 start ups a day and at times excessive idling but thats because I'm either trying to beat the heat or not freeze.

I just changed the oil today and I do the old school method of checking the oil for metal shavings
Old 02-03-2008, 12:04 AM

bb700092 - You are having the exact same delusion all us Maxima owners have when we change something as innocuous as oil or gasoline and expect the car to feel different. It is psychological.

The reality is that dino oil, synthetic blends, and full synthetic are somewaht different in the engine, and the onboard computer must adjust for changes in octane. But what we really feel when driving the Maxima is the sound of the exhaust, and the irregularities of the road surface and its interaction with the tires, also affected by the particular tires we have on the car and the psi we are carrying.

Despite decades of urban legnds, and the absolute insistence of many drivers (especially youthful ones), the differences in oil and octane are discernable from the driver's seat in only one way: psychological.

Yes, your feelings are psychological, which makes you a very typical and normal Maxima driver.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
bb700092 - You are having the exact same delusion all us Maxima owners have when we change something as innocuous as oil or gasoline and expect the car to feel different. It is psychological.

The reality is that dino oil, synthetic blends, and full synthetic are somewaht different in the engine, and the onboard computer must adjust for changes in octane. But what we really feel when driving the Maxima is the sound of the exhaust, and the irregularities of the road surface and its interaction with the tires, also affected by the particular tires we have on the car and the psi we are carrying.

Despite decades of urban legnds, and the absolute insistence of many drivers (especially youthful ones), the differences in oil and octane are discernable from the driver's seat in only one way: psychological.

Yes, your feelings are psychological, which makes you a very typical and normal Maxima driver.
Check out this link to the documented "independent" proof of HP gains using Royal Purple...

http://www.royalpurple.com/rp-videos.html

Last edited by chernmax; 02-03-2008 at 03:23 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:04 AM

Check out this link to the documented "independent" proof of HP gains using Royal Purple...

http://www.royalpurple.com/rp-videos.html
Chern, What kind of city/hwy mpg have you been getting before you turboed your max? What about after the turbo? How often do you change oil and filter?

I have to check my mpg closely with the new oil. I am just irritated by the fact that I changed from synthetic blend to dyno oil. I wanted to use the same oil for the first 20k miles and then switch to full synthetic. From the next time, I am doing my own oil change.

Light, the Maxima manual says -- "Your engine was filled with a high-quality engine oil when it was built." Do you know exactly what oil comes from the factory? Also, what filter?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:36 AM
E46
Newbie - Just Registered

Castrol Syntec 5W-30

Quick Reply: What weight motor oil are you guy running???