6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

rebuilding my maxima project

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 11:47 AM

rebuilding my maxima project

Here is the deal, car got into an accident and I have decided to rebuild. Exterior body parts have been fixed except for the open roof glass and rear passenger door 1/4 glass. This is sort of like a regeneration project for me since the car is pretty much stock. And I think it will be worth it since it has only 33K miles on it.

Here is a list of things I am trying or at least planning to do myself with the help of you guys.

1. Both airbags (driver and passenger) pulled so I need to install a new whole dash panel and airbags (if I can).

2. Driver and passenger seat belts since they're both locked or jammed.

3. I think I'll let the autoglass people fix the sunroof.

~I will be taking before and after pics so stay tuned for the progress..

As of today, I was lucky enough to find a black dash panel on Ebay. Ive ordered and paid for it.

I am waiting to bid on the airbags and the seat belts.

As for the help I need, Is there anyone who knows how to take out a complete dash panel? Ive searched and only came up with the climate display
and radio removal. I will like to know the tools needed and the steps.
I will also like to ask you guys for the steps in changing the steering wheel airbag.

Thanks a lot in advance. Pictures of the "before" stage will be uploaded shortly..
Old 03-08-2008, 12:32 PM
.org extraordinaire

Old 03-08-2008, 01:44 PM

@ kamilkluczewski I really saw that coming lol. Dont worry. Its coming
Old 03-08-2008, 01:59 PM

pics

pic showing driver's side

pic showing passenger side and torn dash panel

pic showing covered sun roof (note its with garbage bag and BLUE TAPE lol)

pic showing front end with missing passenger bumper light

Pardon the picture quality. These pics were taken with my ericsson P1i

BTW: my signature pic is my other Maxima that I am putting up for sale
Old 03-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Ouch!!! Quite a bit of work to be done. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:01 PM

i always wondered how the passenger air bags came out.....scarry sh-- but now i know
Old 03-08-2008, 05:45 PM
MAXXED OUT Member!

You will need a phillips screwdriver(#2), 10mm socket and ratchet, and a lot of patience. The remainder of the dash, console and components just snap or clip apart. I had to do the same repairs with my car and I just started taking it apart with no help from manuals or other sources. Just be careful with all the clips that hold everything together. You will also need to replace the control module for the air bags or send it off to have it reset. Some people claim that they can reflash the module for 50.00 and it is good as new but how do we know this? I have more info to share and if you need more assistance just pm me.
Also I nearly forgot, you will have to replace the clock spring behind the steering wheel. It is made up of the stem switches and wiring for the air bag, when the air bag deploys it get so hot that it melts the wiring harness that connects to the airbag. Alot of hidden surprises when you repair one of these cars.

Last edited by wildman04; 03-08-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:16 PM

subscribed for pics of airbags coming out
Old 03-08-2008, 06:22 PM

isnt it illegal to change airbags other than from your dealer if they deploy? or is just in ny?
Old 03-08-2008, 09:55 PM

whats teh story behind the accident?
Old 03-09-2008, 12:02 AM

@ wildman04 - Thanks for the input, I will be Pming you for more help.
@ bdmaxima - passenge airbag doesnt really deploy if there's no one sitting in the passenger side.
@ dineth00i30 - It could be done as long as it goes through a safety inspeection afterward.
@ eK9aT10pSi - I wasnt even driving the car when the accident happened. Needless to say Ive heard two different stories of what happened and I dont know which one to believe. The most important thing is that no one got hurt and my car is getting fixed.

@Everyone else - Updates are coming soon. I couldnt do anything at all this weekend because its been raining in new jersey like something else. Plus Im waiting for the dash to come in and I still need to win the bid for the airbags.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:00 AM

Why not use insurance or is the car salvaged
Old 03-10-2008, 10:07 AM

car was evaluated as total loss. Bought it back from Insurance. Fixing it for a lot less than the estimate
Old 03-11-2008, 10:38 AM

Stupid insurance totaled out my black '93 Max SE with tan leather interior in '99 after a relatively minor accident simply b/c it had 100K miles. I was so p!$$ed at them for that, so I switched insurance companies. That car was spotless and WELL maintained. I got more for it than I paid for it though! So I bought a loaded '93 GXE.....but it had the small engine. :-(
Old 03-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Where is my shirt?

Originally Posted by ope2k4
car was evaluated as total loss. Bought it back from Insurance. Fixing it for a lot less than the estimate
What insurance company are you with??? That is nowhere near being evaled as total loss...

I hate telling you bro but to recharge and repack the OEM bag is $$$.

I blew my entire driver side way back when...

I would look onto finding a new steering wheel. It might save you some money when you are ready for the dash.

Good Luck homie!!
Old 03-11-2008, 05:07 PM

lol total loss wow! my car was fixed for 10k and it wasn't a loss, wish it was back then!
Old 03-11-2008, 09:02 PM

@ GrimMax - I removed the steering wheel airbag today and noticed that the connector wire melted. Im ordering a steering wheel with good connector from ebay tonite but I have to make sure the airbag connectors are still good before paying for them. I will upload pictures of the melted wire tomorrow
Old 03-11-2008, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by GrimMax
What insurance company are you with??? That is nowhere near being evaled as total loss...

I hate telling you bro but to recharge and repack the OEM bag is $$$.

I blew my entire driver side way back when...

I would look onto finding a new steering wheel. It might save you some money when you are ready for the dash.

Good Luck homie!!
Ive got mercury. The whole front end was messed up in the accident. The car is with a new hood new right side fender, new headlights, bumper support and front bumper. Not to forget new paint job for the front end.

Combine all these things and the airbags and they decided to total it. Thats why I bought it back
Old 03-12-2008, 06:22 AM
MAXXED OUT Member!

Originally Posted by ope2k4
@ GrimMax - I removed the steering wheel airbag today and noticed that the connector wire melted. Im ordering a steering wheel with good connector from ebay tonite but I have to make sure the airbag connectors are still good before paying for them. I will upload pictures of the melted wire tomorrow
As I stated before, you need a clockspring and not a steering wheel. The wires you can see after removing the airbag are from behind the steering wheel and not connected to it. There are alot more issues you may encounter as to why the insurance companies will total out a car. Are the front doors a little stiff to open since the accident? If the windows are up when the airbags deploy then there is a sudden increase in cabin pressure and it will buckle the doors. Front seat belts have to be replaced due to safety features in case of accident. New airbag control module if you do not want new airbags deploying after you spend 1500-2000 replacing airbags(driverbag 560, passenger bag 840, dash 640). You have to watch what airbags you purchase if you try to get them off of ebay, especially the passenger side it has to match exactly with the factory bag.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can download the NISSAN service manuals from http://phatg20.net/index.php?option=...c=select&id=28. Get WINRAR (free) to unzip the file into PDF files. Priceless to have if you do a lot of repairs yourself.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:11 AM

ope2k4 ........... Where in NJ are you? If you are not too far, I can come over and give you a hand on the weekends. I'm sure you can use an extra set of hands with this project.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by madmik
You can download the NISSAN service manuals from http://phatg20.net/index.php?option=...c=select&id=28. Get WINRAR (free) to unzip the file into PDF files. Priceless to have if you do a lot of repairs yourself.
Thanks a lot
Old 03-12-2008, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by utas424
ope2k4 ........... Where in NJ are you? If you are not too far, I can come over and give you a hand on the weekends. I'm sure you can use an extra set of hands with this project.
I live in Orange. Thats really nice of you. I am currently gathering all the parts and I will let you know when Im going to install them.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by wildman04
As I stated before, you need a clockspring and not a steering wheel. The wires you can see after removing the airbag are from behind the steering wheel and not connected to it. There are alot more issues you may encounter as to why the insurance companies will total out a car. Are the front doors a little stiff to open since the accident? If the windows are up when the airbags deploy then there is a sudden increase in cabin pressure and it will buckle the doors. Front seat belts have to be replaced due to safety features in case of accident. New airbag control module if you do not want new airbags deploying after you spend 1500-2000 replacing airbags(driverbag 560, passenger bag 840, dash 640). You have to watch what airbags you purchase if you try to get them off of ebay, especially the passenger side it has to match exactly with the factory bag.
Youre very right. I need the clockspring for the driver's side. Im buying new modules online but I want to make sure they're not modules that have previously deployed.
The only issue I have now is the clockspring. I havent called the dealer for that yet but Im sure they will want at least 740 for that alone. Im currently looking on ebay and other sites for cheaper ones at least. Do you know anyone that works at a nissan dealer for discounts?
Old 03-12-2008, 02:13 PM

UPDATE: I got the Dash for $340
Looking for clockspring before buying the airbags.
I also need opinion from anyone that has reflashed their Airbag modules before.
Im looking to either buy new or used modules(without airbags deploying ofcourse) or go the reflashing route.

Thanks guys
Old 03-12-2008, 05:36 PM
MAXXED OUT Member!

[quote=ope2k4;6295503]UPDATE: I got the Dash for $340
Looking for clockspring before buying the airbags.
I also need opinion from anyone that has reflashed their Airbag modules before.
Im looking to either buy new or used modules(without airbags deploying ofcourse) or go the reflashing route.

Thanks guys[/quot

I don't know anyone at a dealership. Look here ( www.nissanparts.org/
) for some of the replacement parts. They are alot cheaper than the dealership. Both seatbelts will cost around 120 from here new and I have seen used ones sell for more than that on ebay. I just replaced the airbag module with a new one, they sell on the above mentioned site for 198. If someone did reflash the module how would we really know that it works until we have a accident (hope it never happens) and if it doesn't work is it worth risking. Hope this helps
Old 03-15-2008, 01:19 PM

I need help please
How do I remove the steering wheel or get to the clockspring???

Old 03-15-2008, 02:26 PM
MAXXED OUT Member!

After you remove the nut in the center of the steering wheel, it should be loose enough to wiggle side to side while pulling out on the steering wheel and it will slide right off. Check and make sure your column and steering wheel are both indented to realign the steering wheel or mark it with a marker before removing the steering wheel. After the steering wheel is removed remove the two screws under the steering column that secures the plastic trim behind the steering wheel. You will have to tilt and extend the column to remove the pieces. After the trim is removed ther is only three screws holing the clock spring in place, of what I can remember. Maybe this will help.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:22 AM

Also, check with DeusexMaxima. He has replaced his entire steering wheel. He might be able to help direct you also.

Check on www.6thgenmaxima.org

There is a guy there (Chris) goes by the username WinterFaust. He works for Nissan and has been given rave reviews by the members on that site.

All in all, good luck.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:23 AM

looks like a lot of work ahead..... good luck
Old 03-20-2008, 01:20 AM

updates

I have removed both front seatbelts without any problem. I have also removed the whole center console with ease.
My only issues now are still taking out the steering wheel to get to the clokspring and taking out the odometer gauge luster.
I have also taken out the two major bolts holding the dash (where the light sensors are) and all the screws except I think theres one of two left behind the odometer. Any suggestion is appreciated. Im following a write up but It seems my odometer is either stuck or Im doing something wrong.

here are some pictures of my progress below:
Pic 1: showing lovebox out

Pic2:

Pic3:

Pic4:

Things still needed:
Front seatbelts(new)
Clockspring
Airbag module(new)
Old 03-20-2008, 07:11 AM
MAXXED OUT Member!

Look between the steering column and the gauge cluster and you will see two more bolts holding the cluster in place. After you remove these the cluster can be lifted easily.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:18 PM

Thanks to Everyone especially wildman04 - All your directions helped.Thanks to 4MySwee, utas424 for the manuals. I have completed the installation. I will upload pictures later on.
I must say it was a relatively easy work IF YOU HAVE ALL THE RIGHT TOOLS. The only issue I had was placing the dash panel to align it with the screw holes (since I could only be at one side of the car at a time lol). It feels great knowing where all the screws and bolts holding the dash panel in our cars are.
Here are my spendings so far
Dash panel -- $500
Driver's and passengers' airbags --- $860
Seatbelts --- $90
Airbag module --- $298
Clockspring --- $140
Labor ---- FREE and PRICELESS courtesy of me lol

Pics coming up later on.
I have part numbers and every other good info if anyone will need to do the same thing someday. Let me know.

Thanks once again
Old 03-31-2008, 01:38 PM

Good luck man......... you have done a lot of work....... hope it all comes together smoothly.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:28 PM
.org extraordinaire

how is it coming along?
Old 04-01-2008, 01:33 PM

Its coming along well. thanks a lot. I will upload pictures as soon as I figure out how to sync my ericsson P1i with my computer using bluetooth lol. I kinda lost the USB cable.

I have a question for everyone. I need the openroof glass installed. Is there anywhere else apart from the stealership who can do it?
I feel like Ive donated enough of my money to them already lol.