6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Front Strut Destroyed by Pothole

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:05 PM

Front Strut Destroyed by Pothole

Hey guys,

I ran into a huge pothole up here in Toronto, and I have totally damaged the Front Right strut. It makes a thump sound after every minor little bump at slow speeds, and there is some oil on the strut.

I went to the dealer and they want $550 for just one strut and $900 for both since my warranty is up. I'm thinking of ordering the strut and replacing them myself.

However, do you guys think it is safe to drive the next couple of weeks? I plan on driving really slowly and not going on the highway, as well as avoiding all minor bumps on the road. What can go wrong by driving with one bad strut?

Any help would be appreciated...thanks.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:16 PM
SuPeRmOd

unless you see see physical damage, you should be okay. i drove on a noisy one while I waited for parts to come in.

For that price I would absolutely upgrade. I hope that includes labor.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Where is my shirt?

Yeah you mine as well upgrade to performance struts.

Good luck!!
Old 04-16-2008, 08:19 PM

If you want to fix just the front then get a set of KYB GR-2's for the front, both sides. Might run you around 200 shipped...thats probably even a high number.
If you want to spend a little more but have great results then you can call Cattman and get all 4 GR-2's , all 4 progress springs and a progress RSB all for about 600 shipped That would be the way to go if you ask me. Dont quote me on that price either. I dont know his recent prices but a few months ago that number was pretty accurate.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:09 PM

i would sell u mine OEM struts/shocks that only had 15xxx miles and they were babied, but its a headache to ship to the north
Old 04-17-2008, 02:06 AM

read throught the warrenty section of your manual again. as a matter of fact go on nissan's website and look at it. I read if you are the original owner that nissan will replace the shocks and struts for the life of the car as long as you made no mods to the suspension and again are the Original Owner. good luck hope that helps. print it out and take it in. If they still want to charge you call nissan and complain till they fix it.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:13 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
unless you see see physical damage, you should be okay. i drove on a noisy one while I waited for parts to come in.

For that price I would absolutely upgrade. I hope that includes labor.
JESUS, for that price, i concur with Nismo.

You can get www.activetuning.com KONI/AGX setup.

Kamski
Old 04-17-2008, 02:25 AM
.org extraordinaire

Disregard........ i just read that activetuning no longer does the KONI/AGX mod for our cars......... :-) thang goodness i got em mang.

kamski
Old 04-17-2008, 11:48 AM

If you have potholes....you may want to rethink the GR-2 as they are very stiff. I can tell you that I have them with stock springs and the Cross Bronx is NOT a fun ride.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think I read the same warranty info as po8pimp.

Or try Car-parts.com

I had KYB GR-2 all around. Now have AGX in back, awsome. Just received my Koni inserts 8641-1439 for the front. Will let you know the level of difficulty to install.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:14 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

i had a similar sound ...

changed to kyb gr2's all around w/ h&r springs... LOVE IT!!! classy look... not that hard to install..
Old 04-17-2008, 12:40 PM

GR2s are the way to go. no question. Getter done.
Best and cheapest place to get them $120 shipped for fronts

http://www.apwonline.com/RenderScrip...ntid=apwonline
Old 04-17-2008, 01:27 PM

I got GR2's all around installed for 500...
Old 04-17-2008, 02:58 PM

This is my response to a different thread on struts......

I am leaning towards the Monroe Sensa-Trac for my 04 SL on Progress Springs. I am afraid the GR2s will be too stiff for my liking. The ride is already stiffer with the lowereing springs but highway driving is a dream now. City driving....... sucks b/c my right strut is blown again. So most road imperfections that my right tire hits rattle all the way to the steering wheel. (Left side tire hits a bump and it is smooth and handles the bump like it should.) Its like the 5th set of OEM struts that I have and I am only at 3 years and 38,000 miles. I think the Monroe Sensa-Trac offers the same ride quality as the OEM but it is made to better quality standards AND has a lifetime warranty. (How's that taste Nissan?) A strut made to last the lifetime of the car, remarkable.

Also, do the install yourself, I did and it was pretty easy and I have never done that type of work on a car before. Plus you really learn a lot about the innerworkings of your car. Plus, the pride in my own work was cool too.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:00 PM

thanks for the responses guys..struts on these struts sure are frustrating as I had them replaced at 20k before and its out again.

I'm gonna go with the GR2s and do it myself.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Originally Posted by jkjk15
Hey guys,

I ran into a huge pothole up here in Toronto, and I have totally damaged the Front Right strut. It makes a thump sound after every minor little bump at slow speeds, and there is some oil on the strut.

I went to the dealer and they want $550 for just one strut and $900 for both since my warranty is up. I'm thinking of ordering the strut and replacing them myself.

However, do you guys think it is safe to drive the next couple of weeks? I plan on driving really slowly and not going on the highway, as well as avoiding all minor bumps on the road. What can go wrong by driving with one bad strut?

Any help would be appreciated...thanks.
I am not sure how it works in Canada - but here in the US very (and I mean very) few people know that they can collect money from the City, Town or County where the damage occurred. Example: you're driving down a road, hit a pothole and damaged your rims - you can very easily put an insurance claim against the City. I know this because up until 2 years ago I handled the insurance/risk management for many cities in FL and the claims I saw coming in were ridiculous.

If I were you I would try that....
Good luck!
Old 04-18-2008, 09:48 AM

My wife recently did the same thing. I replaced the struts with GR2's and am happy with them. They were about $65 each at Advance Auto Parts and had Pep Boys install them for $50 each.

She has the factory 18" wheels and it bent the wheel on the inside lip. Be sure to check yours. Nissan wants $600 for the wheel. Found a local wheel shop that orders reman'd wheels. Its a used factory wheel, checked for true, repainted and sold for $175.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by RandyZ
My wife recently did the same thing. I replaced the struts with GR2's and am happy with them. They were about $65 each at Advance Auto Parts and had Pep Boys install them for $50 each.

She has the factory 18" wheels and it bent the wheel on the inside lip. Be sure to check yours. Nissan wants $600 for the wheel. Found a local wheel shop that orders reman'd wheels. Its a used factory wheel, checked for true, repainted and sold for $175.
For those install prices, why the hell would i ever touch my car. Cheeeeaaaap Hope your tires are still on...j/k.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by larsim
I am not sure how it works in Canada - but here in the US very (and I mean very) few people know that they can collect money from the City, Town or County where the damage occurred. Example: you're driving down a road, hit a pothole and damaged your rims - you can very easily put an insurance claim against the City. I know this because up until 2 years ago I handled the insurance/risk management for many cities in FL and the claims I saw coming in were ridiculous.

Good luck!
Larsim, It sure is a pleasure to have someone from insurance, like you, around. Otherwise who would have given us the idea of claiming against the City

I wonder... does the City ever pay the claims or the matter goes to the court and that is where it always ends in favor of the City?
Old 04-18-2008, 01:09 PM

Hey Mr Toronto from TO Town! I live in Montreal the Pot hole capitol of North America...well maybe tied for a few American cities! LOL! You're really lucky! Only one strut in how long? I have replaced mine at least 3 times (on warranty) and guess what...my warranty has run out. Even though I have the extended warranty, guess what? That right...the $1000 prize goes to you! You guess right...they're not covered...So I am going to a garage to spend less than at the stealership and have 2 new shocks/struts and you guessed it again...KYB GR2's in the front. I am leaving the oem ones in the back....My car is lowered with Eibach Pro Kit 1's all around.
For less than what they want to charge you for the whole bill you can put better aftermarket shocks and yes and 4 new lowering springs and for a bit more front and rear strut bars.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:10 PM

actually I have changed the struts on mine previously once before on warranty...so i'm not that lucky..

but yea, not worth even considering dealership for stuff like struts or brakes...such a rip.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by kamski
Disregard........ i just read that activetuning no longer does the KONI/AGX mod for our cars......... :-) thang goodness i got em mang.

kamski
Me too!!! Although Im thinking about getting coilovers for the adjustability and lighter weight.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Originally Posted by bb700092
I wonder... does the City ever pay the claims or the matter goes to the court and that is where it always ends in favor of the City?
BB700092 - unlike individuals say like you and I, most Cities do not purchase an insurance policy because it simply isn't cost effective for them to (imagine how much money that would cost!). So instead, what they do have is something called a "Self-Insurance Program". An example of Self-Insurance would be you for an example cancelling your auto insurance policy and saying to yourself "heck, instead of paying an insurance company, I am going to put this money away every month and if I total my car I will just assume the risk and buy another one out of my pocket". This is generally how Cities think....

So to answer your question, if it is something simple (ie: damage to your car caused on a roadway by a pothole), all you have to do is call your City and tell them what happened and that you would like to file a claim. And no, you won't have to go to court. As a matter of fact, most Cities pay the claims up rather quickly.

I used to see claims coming in from cars with bent wheels to cars with blown shocks.... after all, think about this for a second - why do you think Cities will fix some potholes faster than others
Old 04-19-2008, 07:12 AM
reb

Are '07-'08 Maxes equipt with the same poor quality struts as the '04-'06 cars?

Any '07-'08 owners have the struts fail???
Old 04-19-2008, 07:42 AM

In quebec they passed a law, you cant sue them for damage to wheels, tires and suspension because of a road problem...

eh.

BB700092 - unlike individuals say like you and I, most Cities do not purchase an insurance policy because it simply isn't cost effective for them to (imagine how much money that would cost!). So instead, what they do have is something called a "Self-Insurance Program". An example of Self-Insurance would be you for an example cancelling your auto insurance policy and saying to yourself "heck, instead of paying an insurance company, I am going to put this money away every month and if I total my car I will just assume the risk and buy another one out of my pocket". This is generally how Cities think....

So to answer your question, if it is something simple (ie: damage to your car caused on a roadway by a pothole), all you have to do is call your City and tell them what happened and that you would like to file a claim. And no, you won't have to go to court. As a matter of fact, most Cities pay the claims up rather quickly.

I used to see claims coming in from cars with bent wheels to cars with blown shocks.... after all, think about this for a second - why do you think Cities will fix some potholes faster than others
Old 04-19-2008, 07:48 AM
SuPeRmOd

yeah i didnt even think of having your city pay for it.
i remember in hs my mom drove over an upside down man hole cover instant flat i missed football practice. city payed for it no problem.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Incognito

Originally Posted by MiamiBlackMax
i would sell u mine OEM struts/shocks that only had 15xxx miles and they were babied, but its a headache to ship to the north
mark it as a gift. declare the value at $1.

easy
Old 04-22-2008, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by reb
Are '07-'08 Maxes equipt with the same poor quality struts as the '04-'06 cars?

Any '07-'08 owners have the struts fail???
Yup. Had both fronts replaced today on the 07 under warranty. Right was shot to hell and left was leaking a little. Of course, the huge pothole GF drove into a week ago didnt help the right side strut.......dealer even gave me a car to use for the day.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:54 AM

Good luck!
Interesting, How would one go about getting something like this started, is there a particular department i need to look for
Old 06-21-2008, 04:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I remember reading on a few posts, that the OEM struts are bad. Some owners had them replaced a few times. I'm going to need front struts soon, I do not want to lower my car since I deal with NYC roads every day, and I do not want OEM struts. Other than KYB GR-2, are there any other alternatives, i.e. Tokico? Do you guys recommend i change the springs also? I have noticed for a while on many stock maximas, the back are lower than the front 05SE
Old 06-24-2008, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by kamikaze05max
I remember reading on a few posts, that the OEM struts are bad. Some owners had them replaced a few times. I'm going to need front struts soon, I do not want to lower my car since I deal with NYC roads every day, and I do not want OEM struts. Other than KYB GR-2, are there any other alternatives, i.e. Tokico? Do you guys recommend i change the springs also? I have noticed for a while on many stock maximas, the back are lower than the front 05SE
See post 14. I have the Monroe and they are much better than OEM. A little stiffer but a lot better in control. My right front sway bar end link is F'ed up and it is what is causing some knocking as the top joint is too loose and it bangs metal to metal. I will be ordering RacingLines endlinks when they are available to fix this problem.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
This is my response to a different thread on struts......

I am leaning towards the Monroe Sensa-Trac for my 04 SL on Progress Springs. I am afraid the GR2s will be too stiff for my liking. The ride is already stiffer with the lowereing springs but highway driving is a dream now. City driving....... sucks b/c my right strut is blown again. So most road imperfections that my right tire hits rattle all the way to the steering wheel. (Left side tire hits a bump and it is smooth and handles the bump like it should.) Its like the 5th set of OEM struts that I have and I am only at 3 years and 38,000 miles. I think the Monroe Sensa-Trac offers the same ride quality as the OEM but it is made to better quality standards AND has a lifetime warranty. (How's that taste Nissan?) A strut made to last the lifetime of the car, remarkable.

Also, do the install yourself, I did and it was pretty easy and I have never done that type of work on a car before. Plus you really learn a lot about the innerworkings of your car. Plus, the pride in my own work was cool too.

my right front is rumbling too much.. it was replaced by the dealers like 30k. now i have 54k on her.. can i use Monroe?? i don't want to stiffness of the KYB GR2's .. is the Monroe a good subsitution? can anyone tell me if 90$ for one is a fair price. i got this quoted from www.autobarn.com .. Thanks
Old 01-19-2009, 10:54 AM

struts

Im in the same boat..Im looking to replace oem struts with aftermarket but while maintaining the stock smooth ride. Unless Nissan finally improved their struts and I can just go with oem. I have an 04 SL.

Any suggestions ? Not really on a budget either, just want good quality with a a good ride.

Last edited by 04SL; 01-19-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by MaxJ04
my right front is rumbling too much.. it was replaced by the dealers like 30k. now i have 54k on her.. can i use Monroe?? i don't want to stiffness of the KYB GR2's .. is the Monroe a good subsitution? can anyone tell me if 90$ for one is a fair price. i got this quoted from www.autobarn.com .. Thanks
the KYB is not THHHAT much stiffer. At least i don't think so.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by 04SL
Im in the same boat..Im looking to replace oem struts with aftermarket but while maintaining the stock smooth ride. Unless Nissan finally improved their struts and I can just go with oem. I have an 04 SL.

Any suggestions ? Not really on a budget either, just want good quality with a a good ride.
if budget is not an issue then get new aftermarket struts all around. But what you do, I would suggest also getting new strut mounts (plate and bearing) also. These are cheap and in the long run it will save you $ so you dont have to take apart your struts once again to place them. I learned this lesson the expensive way. Save money on labor for future reference
Old 01-19-2009, 04:27 PM

Monroe-Sensa Trac is my vote. Love 'em
Old 01-20-2009, 07:10 AM

Check RockAuto.com for struts...$52 for KYB's and $91 for SensaTracs. There are also always 5% off coupons floating around if you look. I've bought numerous parts from them, and they ship quickly.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:56 PM

Can anyone recommend a site with good prices for OEM Nissan front struts ?After some research Ive decided to go with Nissan vs KYB. I cant seem to find a good site with good prices though.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by xorbitman
Hey Mr Toronto from TO Town! I live in Montreal the Pot hole capitol of North America...
you've never been to Saskatchewan have you? We have pot holes on every highway. lol

Anyways in canada, you should be able to get it paid by the city... I know for a fact that Alberta and both Saskatchewan cities will pay for it if you make a claim. I don't see Toronto being different. You might have to replace your struts, and send the bill to them. Possibly even fight for it. Good luck.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:25 PM

In quebec they have a law that they dont pay for wheels/suspension damage from potholes. Lame. Thats the way it is

Quick Reply: Front Strut Destroyed by Pothole