6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Does my engine sound right?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 01:28 PM

Does my engine sound right?

http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm...1171902113.wav

Can you hear that click...click...click..click or dig...dig...dig...dig engine noise in idle?
Should I worry or this is normal for 04 maxima with 70k miles?

Recorded this while I was moving my recorder around my engine cover.

Last edited by saraara; 05-25-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Learning English...

This sound is similar to the one i'm getting everytime i start up my car in the morning. The engine clicks like 10sec and then the rattle goes away.I'm almost sure it's due to bad secondary timing chain tensioners. Since i have all TSB parts, i will let the dealer fix my car asap. Here's the TSB

BTW, did you check your oil level? If you are low on oil, you may have an oil consumption. Just a thought!
Attached Files
Old 05-25-2008, 04:48 PM

Hmmm...mine is actually after I warm-up my car for like 5 to 7 minutes for car to drop around 700 rpms. I can even hear it clearly at stop lights when I stop when all windows are rolled up. No problem with oil lever neither with my car. Just worried I am not driving car with potential problem. Thanks for reply and TBS though....

edit: TBS says noise increases with RPMs. Mine does not do that or that noise gets burried once engine runs > 1500/1700 RMPs.

Last edited by saraara; 05-25-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Learning English...

Take a look at this one :

IF YOU CONFIRM
There is a ticking, clicking, thumping, humming, flutter, buzz, or knocking noise heard in the passenger compartment. The noise is coming from the engine compartment and usually occurs with the engine at idle and warm.
Attached Files
Old 05-25-2008, 06:15 PM

It just sounds like your AC motor. Mine also makes a louder ticking noise when its running. Turn your Climate Control off and listen again.

Other than that, it sounds pretty normal to me.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:32 PM

I am kind of agree with you mikesima. I googled and found two 6th gen maxima running with the same reathom. Turning climate control off doesn't make any difference. Having nothing running in car (pindrop silence) makes it more clear to hear that engine noise. My interior is fully loaded so it's damn annoying sitting inside & hearing that engine noise sound like I am running diesel engine, ohh well...
Old 05-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i was wondering about this...
just got a 04 max and i hear noticeable ticking and start up for the first 10 mins or so...
Old 05-26-2008, 08:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah this is happing to me also. Just got my 04 maxima 2 weeks ago with 55000 miles on it. Sounds like a diesel running at idle.. But as soon as it gets above like 1500rpm it goes away....
Old 05-26-2008, 09:37 AM

HAHA.. lol... More maxis hit the fan. I have had this problem since 80K had all my tentioners, chains, chain guides and so on replaced twice. And its still there. get a new motor if under warantee or get rid of the car. Oh and its gonna start burning oil like a **** sooooo search for my past post with this problem.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

burn how much and how fast? mine has 67k on it and i wanted to change the oil and use my trusty M1 synthetic.
i got my maxima on friday...still gettin used to it since i traded in my 05 wrx
Old 05-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

crappy cell pic
Old 05-26-2008, 12:30 PM

jreilly04, are you serious? damn...that will be like ouchhh for maxima owners if oil consumption that starts with the tickling noise. Mine does not eat any oil at this moment and I hope it always stays that way. By the way I am using M1 synthetic only from last 12 months or so but that noise was always been there from the beginning when I bought my car with 40k++ miles. Damn you nissan and problems
Old 05-31-2008, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by brio_max
Take a look at this one :

IF YOU CONFIRM
There is a ticking, clicking, thumping, humming, flutter, buzz, or knocking noise heard in the passenger compartment. The noise is coming from the engine compartment and usually occurs with the engine at idle and warm.

Hi brio_max,

I actually replaced my fuel dampers few year ago and it did not make any change in noise. Dealer was telling me that this is normal and changing dampers wont make any difference, but I still performed that work. I have this noise from last 25k miles or so but car runs fine.

If this is normal then I am ok but I am worried for any potential problems.

Last edited by saraara; 05-31-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Learning English...

Sorry. I have no idea what else could cause that noise

Maybe you might want to check out the rest of the TSB's about ticking, rattling, etc

EXHAUST RATTLE BUZZING NOISE DURING ACCELERATION NTB05-021d.pdf

RATTLE NOISE FROM B1 CATALYST HEAT SHIELD AND OR NTB05-095.pdf

MIL ON P1283 (LEAN B2) OR EXHAUST 'TICKING' NOISE NTB04-019b.pdf
Old 06-02-2008, 07:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm having that noise still. It seemed to quiet down after an oil change last week. but is there again. It really seems to be coming from the timing chain area. It's been a while since I read about TSB, but does the dealer fix these problems for free? I almost certain that's what is causing the sound. It's loud when you first start the car for 15 seconds then slowly goes away. At first the dealer said it's a oil primer pump and that after market filters make it worst since they lack a valve which prevents oil from draining back into the filter. Thus, oil has to be circulating a bit to relubricate the engine. I did my last oil change with OEM filter and AMSOIL 10w30 and it came back.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:05 AM

Ok so i do here i clicking noise when i first start the car for about 3sec and then it's gone
my 01 did the samething after that the motor is very quiet at idol nothing like a diesel i think we have to issues two sounds people are Experiencing i think the quick noise some
of us are Experiencing is because at first start in the moning the motor isn't lubed enough
i don't beleave thats an issue just a thought.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:55 PM

To me, there are two issues here.
1. Clicking noise at start-up from 2 sec to 15 sec and then goes away.
2. No noise at start-up but once car warm-up, engine sounds like a diesel engine.

Number 1 is to me more serious problem as many maxima user experienced oil consumption and timing chain tensioner repair work.

Number 2 seems like a normal maxima engine noise experienced by other maxima users.

Number 3 I may be completely wrong with above 2.

just my 2c...

By the way brio_max, thanks for posting all TBS and I have performed few of them.
The noise I hear is definitely from engine compartment around/underneeth of top engine cover.

Last edited by saraara; 06-03-2008 at 03:41 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by saraara
To me, there are two issues here.
1. Clicking noise at start-up from 2 sec to 15 sec and then goes away.
2. No noise at start-up but once car warm-up, engine sounds like a diesel engine.

Number 1 is to me more serious problem as many maxima user experienced oil consumption and timing chain tentioner repair work.

Number 2 seems like a normal maxima engine noise experienced by other maxima users.

Number 3 I may be completely wrong with above 2.

just my 2c...

By the way brio_max, thanks for posting all TBS and I have performed few of them.
The noise I hear is definitely from engine compartment around/underneeth of top engine cover.
But wouldn't nissan cover the timing chain tensioner since it's a TSB?
Old 06-03-2008, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by athlon omega
But wouldn't nissan cover the timing chain tensioner since it's a TSB?
If you're under warranty then yes if you fight hard with them. I heared that going for tensioner and timing chain repair cause engine to eat fair amount of oil later on.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by saraara
If you're under warranty then yes if you fight hard with them. I heared that going for tensioner and timing chain repair cause engine to eat fair amount of oil later on.
Wow. So that timing chain repair causes additional problems down the line from what you're saying? I talked to my mechanic yesterday and he said it's not worth fixing due to the 17 hours of labor to take the engine out to replace it. I should just use thicker oil. I'm already using AMSOIL 10w30 though. I admit the noise doesn't last as long as before when using a mobile filter and Mobile 1 full synthetic 5w30, but it still turns head when I crank it with people around.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:03 AM

Hey i had the same problem ,same noise when i bought my maxima ,it took them 5 trys and visits to finally figure out it was the timing chain...it would only happen like if i left the car sitting for a period of time or overnight then in the morning it would start with the little rattling noise,it was annoying..it would go away after awhile but still.i had to call the complaint center for them to finally fix my car and make it brand new.at first they thought it was the vtc's..but nah its definitly the chain.It was covered under warranty so i was really happy.now my baby sounds brand new.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:56 AM

Have you tried...

I started to have the same problem and thought it might be oil, but for other reasons. The 04- Max only has 4.25qts. of oil. If you're using a stock oil filter, the engine would have to run about 15 - 30 seconds before enough pressure builds to force oil through the filter. I switched to Mobil1 and a stainless steel oil filter. Oil flow is immediate. Now I'm getting better gas mileage and better performance at higher speeds.

Could a engine starving for oil be a/the problem?

D.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:46 AM

there is a tsb on this. If anyone in the DC/MD metro area needs help with it give me a holler. As long as it meets the conditions and its still within either the power train warranty or your extended warranty and you can prove oil change intervals. No issue no questions asked.. we are set..

Chris @ Criswell Nissan 301-670-3900 x310

as a side note, I have seen timing chain noises happen more frequently on the vq35 motor when certain conditions happen.
1) improper oil is used
2) incorrect or small oil filter is used
3) oil change interval is exceeded
4) engine sludging or varnishing from lack of fluid change
Old 06-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the same diesel chuggin sounds as Saraara does, I am taking my max in on monday. Ill be sure to hand them the 2 tsb's about the timing chain and the other about the fuel dampers. I bought my 07 max brand new and this sound started about 3 months after I bought it. Its not normal, in my opinion.
I'll update you guys later
Old 06-14-2008, 07:04 AM

I'm out of luck since I bought my maxima with 88K miles on it. The noise comes and goes and is not as frequent as before since I'm using AMSOIL and the stock filter. Where should I get a stainless steel oil filter from and how much? That's the last thing I'll try before paying a shop $450 to replace it. The techs and several mechanics have told me that the engine being starved for oil after sitting a while may be the cause. Hence, the link to someone not changing the oil regularly like my previous owner and the maxima developing this timing chain noise.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well I had the engine looked at and they fixed the chuggin diesel sound. My friend who is the mechanic there at nissan did the job, said that it was the fuel damper that was causing the sound. The car is running smooth and quiet now. He also told me to bring my car back so that he could replace the timing chain tensioners. Though my timing chain tensioners are fine, he says that they will fail (on average at 25k miles). He says nissan redesigned the tensioners and that once replaced I should be good.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:32 PM

Amazing that fuel damper fixed your problem as mine fuel dampers were replaced by dealer (or they actually did not?) but that diesel sound is still there.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by WINTERFAUST
there is a tsb on this. If anyone in the DC/MD metro area needs help with it give me a holler. As long as it meets the conditions and its still within either the power train warranty or your extended warranty and you can prove oil change intervals. No issue no questions asked.. we are set..

Chris @ Criswell Nissan 301-670-3900 x310

as a side note, I have seen timing chain noises happen more frequently on the vq35 motor when certain conditions happen.
1) improper oil is used
2) incorrect or small oil filter is used
3) oil change interval is exceeded
4) engine sludging or varnishing from lack of fluid change
Which oil filter do you suggest for our cars?? I use Mobil One 5W-30 Fully Synthetic Oil and a Mobil One filter.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

same noise

i have had the same noise in my 07 maxima SL for the last two months, I have been to the dealer twice, first he told me its the fan, then he asked me to switch to 93 from 87. finally i showed him the TSB about fuel dampers, he was ordered the parts, m keeping my fingers crossed .. hopefully this should fix the issue, the noise drives me crazy ...
Old 09-24-2008, 02:07 PM

I have the same noise in my 04 Maxima, I used to have it on my 02 Altima. At one point it sounded like a diesel, complaint to the dealer and they told me that it was air in the cooling system. After a few months the car started using lots of oil by the time I traded it in I was adding a quart of oil before before an oil change.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:21 PM

Chris, I have a 04, 45k miles. Would it still be cover under the traib warranty?
Old 09-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

dropped off my car at the dealer.... hopefully the noise will die down ....
Old 09-29-2008, 12:30 PM

Keep us updated please
Old 09-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

back from the dealer, he replaced the fuel dampers, but i can still hear the damn noise, at first it seemed to have gone away, but by the time I got home it was at its usual annoying level.... what next .. any suggestions ...
Old 09-29-2008, 04:40 PM

trade it in.....
Old 10-10-2012, 03:33 PM

Timing Chain Noise

The noise you are hearing is definitely from the timing chain. I started to notice it around 100,000 but I might have gotten it sooner than that and didn't really pay attention. The chain broke leaving work, (@ 135,000 miles) and I was told that as soon as the chain breaks in newer vehicles, you HAVE to replace the motor. I replaced the motor along with a few other parts such as axle, lower controller arms, and wheel bearing. It cost me around $3000. The newer motor has 65,000 miles on it. The new motor also makes noise. I don't know if I should start using synthetic oil to reduce or get rid of the noise. When the chain broke, I asked around Nissan dealerships and they all said that there are no TSB's???
Old 10-10-2012, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by biren41888
The noise you are hearing is definitely from the timing chain. I started to notice it around 100,000 but I might have gotten it sooner than that and didn't really pay attention. The chain broke leaving work, (@ 135,000 miles) and I was told that as soon as the chain breaks in newer vehicles, you HAVE to replace the motor. I replaced the motor along with a few other parts such as axle, lower controller arms, and wheel bearing. It cost me around $3000. The newer motor has 65,000 miles on it. The new motor also makes noise. I don't know if I should start using synthetic oil to reduce or get rid of the noise. When the chain broke, I asked around Nissan dealerships and they all said that there are no TSB's???
NICE, but 4 years later I think he figured it out.....
Old 10-10-2012, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
NICE, but 4 years later I think he figured it out.....

I did't even read the dates lol...but im just putting it out there to receive feedback cause it just happened to me. F Nissan, will never buy again until they start to build true Japanese motors again. Since 2002, Nissan has been partnered with French automaker Renault and they been using French motors. THEY SUCK!
Old 02-15-2023, 02:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by jreilly04
HAHA.. lol... More maxis hit the fan. I have had this problem since 80K had all my tentioners, chains, chain guides and so on replaced twice. And its still there. get a new motor if under warantee or get rid of the car. Oh and its gonna start burning oil like a **** sooooo search for my past post with this problem.
The funny thing about that is I have an 04 4 speed with 145,572 miles I’m the 3rd owner and the timing tensioner only just went out. Well maintained engine goes the distance.