6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

noise coming from the front when i accelerate

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 03:22 PM

noise coming from the front when i accelerate

im hearing a clicking sort of noise from my front when i accelerate and only when i accelerate. any1 hav a idea what the noise could be?
Old 07-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Are you making a turn when you hear the noise?
Old 07-01-2008, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by bdmaxima
im hearing a clicking sort of noise from my front when i accelerate and only when i accelerate. any1 hav a idea what the noise could be?
Could be alot of things, try and narrow it down. Axles are possible but you would notice that on turns especially. Other common things, strut mounts, endlinks, cotterpins, loose bolt.

See if you can get a general location by listening with the window down and doing repeated take offs. Is it on slow, fast or all accelerations. If you turn left and right while accelerating, only from a stop or while coasting. What about when you hit potholes and speed bumps.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:30 PM

clicking or metals in a can sound?
Old 07-01-2008, 07:14 PM

deus-no its just when im driving straight, just pressing the gas

nietz-it sounds like its coming in the middle area right under the engine. just talked to my friend who drove the car said it could be a loose exhaust thing (frgt the name srry).

blackdubbs-idk it just to me sounds like metal clicking, im goin to see if my camera can record that sound if possible, and i'll post it up
Old 07-02-2008, 04:18 AM

There is a TSB in regards to an exhaust hanger that can cause rattling under acceleration.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Learning English...

Originally Posted by bdmaxima
My 04' 6M/T is having a similar noise to yours. I'm hearing a clunking only when accelerating right after switching gears for like 2 sec arround 1800-2000rpm and then the noise disappears.. The strange thing is that i can hear the "rattling" mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear after i press the gas pedal a bit sharply. Well, it's very hard for me to describe the situation
I hope it comes somewhere from the exhaust brackets or heat shields, so i have to check them out.

Not long time ago i had veeery similar noise with my 5th gen and it turned out to be the coils That was a scary movie - $$$
Old 07-02-2008, 11:47 AM

I just posted a thread about what sounds like the same problem you're having...except on a 5.5 gen.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ngine-bay.html

If you find anything out, please let me know. I will subscribe to this thread.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:33 PM

My car was doing the same thing. It turned out to be one of my exhaust brackets under the engine was cracked. Check those brackets and look for hairline cracks. If they are cracked, get replacements and that will fix it.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:54 PM

How would exhaust brackets make that noise only when accelerating?
Old 07-02-2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by brio_max
My 04' 6M/T is having a similar noise to yours. I'm hearing a clunking only when accelerating right after switching gears for like 2 sec arround 1800-2000rpm and then the noise disappears.. The strange thing is that i can hear the "rattling" mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear after i press the gas pedal a bit sharply. Well, it's very hard for me to describe the situation
I hope it comes somewhere from the exhaust brackets or heat shields, so i have to check them out.

Not long time ago i had veeery similar noise with my 5th gen and it turned out to be the coils That was a scary movie - $$$
I am also getting a rattling noise when my car switches gears, it happens right before it switches gears and right after, only when I push on the accelerator. I was getting a cat converter SES code last week (p0420), but the light went off, but the noise seems to be getting worse.

The noise stops once the car heats up a little bit. Took it to a mechanic yesterday and he was no help. Didn't find anything. Anyone have any ideas?

Not trying to steal anyone's thread, but I have been trying to figure this out for a few weeks now.

Thanks,
Old 07-02-2008, 02:46 PM

seems like a lot of us are havin this issue. i posted the same thread in 6thgenmaxima.org and a bunch of dudes are havin the same issue. this is crzy im goin to try to get under the car tommorow, havn't had the chance today to do it.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:55 PM

Yea, I'm gonna spend some time under my car tonight when I get home from work too...hopefully I can actually find something this time.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:35 PM

Hard acceleration="thud" and quite a few people have told me that it is the rear motor mount which I will be replacing soon enough... http://forums.maxima.org/advanced-su...eleration.html
Old 07-02-2008, 03:36 PM

its a gremlin
Old 07-02-2008, 11:52 PM

on 6th gen max some dude posted pic's but they expired and i can't sign up to the site bc i 4got my password... this is about the rattling noise coming from the exaust its a bracket or clip that holds the exaust.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by 90max
on 6th gen max some dude posted pic's but they expired and i can't sign up to the site bc i 4got my password... this is about the rattling noise coming from the exaust its a bracket or clip that holds the exaust.
I believe this is correct. I didnt have any noise until I changed my cat back exhaust a couple of months ago I will get under there soon and pinpoint it. And its not a "thump" sorry Prjt. its like a rattling noise sounds like its coming from the shifter but from underneath somewhere. Ill let you know.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:11 AM

Those where Prjct's pics...... Prjct, that thread is still valuable, you should repost thoses pics.

Guys the rattling that occurs around 2.5k rpms is 100% definitely the exhaust bracket, don't ask how or why, just crawl under there and see for yourself, go to the dealer and get one and replace or have them put it on.

Mine broke last year, or maybe it was the year before, anyway and I had it welded since they were out of brackets, that fixed the problem until a couple months ago. I noticed that rattling/buzzing sound again. (Makes the car sound junkie imo) I took it in and sure enough it was the bracket again. You can see it broke along the well. I had it replaced, sound gone.

Here are some pics of the bracket.

Last edited by Apollos2; 07-05-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
Those where Prjct's pics...... Prjct, that thread is still valuable, you should repost thoses pics.

Guys the rattling that occurs around 2.5k rpms is 100% definitely the exhaust bracket, don't ask how or why, just crawl under there and see for yourself, go to the dealer and get one and replace or have them put it on.

Mine broke last year, I think, and I had it welded, I noticed that rattling/buzzing sound again took it in and sure enough it was the bracket. Had replaced, sound gone.

Here are some pics of the bracket.

omg thanx finally i can see what it looks like ... i'ma do it on my days off this week deff.!!!! bc i'm so tired of that f'in noise.... also now i'm gettin a clicking noise when i'm doing like 5 mph roll which i think is the driver axle... lol lets see if i could go 2 for 2 on car noises lmao!! jkjk
Old 07-07-2008, 06:41 AM

Exhaust Bracket

Originally Posted by 90max
omg thanx finally i can see what it looks like ... i'ma do it on my days off this week deff.!!!! bc i'm so tired of that f'in noise.... also now i'm gettin a clicking noise when i'm doing like 5 mph roll which i think is the driver axle... lol lets see if i could go 2 for 2 on car noises lmao!! jkjk
My car is at the dealership right now because I could not figure out what the rattle was. Where exactly is the exhaust bracket located? If they tell me they can't figure out what the noise is I want to check this out. So I was wondering if anyone could maybe give me a quick run-down on how to check this?

Thanks,
Old 07-07-2008, 06:51 AM

If the car is on the rack it's easier to see. They will know where it is.....ask them if they could show it to you when it's up on the rack. Sorry I don't have any picks of it from underneath
Old 07-07-2008, 07:22 AM

If the car is on the rack it's easier to see. They will know where it is.....ask them if they could show it to you when it's up on the rack. Sorry I don't have any picks of it from underneath
Thanks Apollos. I was wondering. My car makes the noise right before it shifts and then right after, and only for the first few minutes of the drive. Does this sound like it could be the exhaust bracket?

Thanks again.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:32 AM

Broken Exhaust Bracket

Originally Posted by mgp429
Thanks Apollos. I was wondering. My car makes the noise right before it shifts and then right after, and only for the first few minutes of the drive. Does this sound like it could be the exhaust bracket?

Thanks again.

Just talked to the dealership, it is definitely a broken exhaust bracket. Told me it would be $170 total for parts and labor, which I am happy to pay. Not sure if that is a reasonable price or not, but I am excited to get it fixed, the noise has been bothering me for a while now.

Let me know if you think I am getting ripped off.

Thanks again for all of the info and the pics guys and gals!
Old 07-07-2008, 09:44 AM

$170! ?!!@&% No way. Call there parts dept and ask how much that part is. It's like a $25 part and two bolts.

They wanted to charge me $85 the first time and I had it welded for $30. Then I bought the part and had a friend put it on. If you can get the part, you can probably have any local muffler shop put on for $30.

This is a know defect, it has a TSB (Technical service bulletin) on it. They ought to replace it for free or minimal charges. I'll see if I can get the part number for you.

Last edited by Apollos2; 07-07-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:46 AM

$170! ?!!@&% No way. Call there parts dept and ask how much that part is. It's like a $25 part and two bolts.

They wanted to charge me $85 the first time and I had it welded for $30. Then I bought the part and had a friend put it on. If you can get the part, you can probably have any local muffler shop put on for $30.

This is a know defect, it has a TSB (Technical service bulletin) on it. They ought to replace it for free or minimal charges. I'll see if I can get the part number for you.
Yeah, he said there was a bulletin on it, and therefore he had to change all the parts. He listed like 5 pieces that needed to be replaced. He said that in total the parts were $90. I am going to get a list of the parts when I go over there. That is BS if they know this is a problem, and are still over-charging people to get it fixed.

Thanks again,
Old 07-07-2008, 11:39 AM

The bracket are easy to replace and that price they quoted you is definitely wrong. I paid just a little over seven bucks for mines from the dealership.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:01 PM

Okay finally found that link with some more pics.
http://www.6thgenmaxima.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2274

$90 in parts, they are crazy, or think you are.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:33 PM

Thanks

Okay finally found that link with some more pics.
http://www.6thgenmaxima.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2274

$90 in parts, they are crazy, or think you are.

Wow, seems like a pretty easy fix. I wish I would have found you guys before I took my car in. I would have just done this myself. Oh well, lesson learned I guess. I will just ask for an itemized receipt when I pick it up. I told them to do it before you guys told me that was crazy.

Anyway, thanks again for the help. You guys know everything about these cars!
Old 05-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Front Y-pipe buzzing @ 2,500 - 3,000 rpm only under load

Had my 2005's exhaust gussets replaced by dealership; car still buzzes. They did not impliment the TSB issued for this (install additional bracket), despite me handing them a print out of it when I dropped off for the repair. Service manager will not return my phone call. I'm so over this dealership.

Put car on rack at a local shop; confirmed the above and tapped all of the exhaust within reach with a mallet. Found nothing else loose except for the U-shaped heat shield on the Y-pipe being very loose (dealership didn't make any note of that). Took that off, as it could not be made tight with additional clamps. Exhaust is quiet until it warms up; then buzzing is back. Pre-Cats appear tight.

I've ordered the extra bracket specified in the TSB and will install myself, as I'm sick of San Leandro Nissan service dept. The parts are cheap, so I figure why not, but have doubts it will stop the buzz.

Car has 96K on it. Any ideas? Bad flex section?

Turbizzy?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

welli thought iwas the only one having this problem,well i have this same problem the car makes noise like some metal is scraping underneath the hood,n it excatly happenes when the gear is about to change in like 2-3- secs and after,on low rpms and always happen when u press ur foot on gas!!!! ama check my exaust brackts underneath pretty soon,thnaks a lot to whomever did the research!!
Old 05-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Found out that it's a loose heat shield on bank 1 cat that is buzzing; one weld is broken, other two OK. Going to get it tack welded back on by a muffler shop.

If you're under 80k on car, the cat can be replaced under warranty. I'm out of luck there.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ive had the same problem
Old 05-13-2010, 11:13 PM

For all you guys that have this busted bracket, just get the bracket from the parts department, and take it to any muffler shop. Not Midas/CarX etc... but an independent shop. Fork over $20 in cash and they will put it on for you.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:43 AM

^^^^WORD! It's funny how this old thread is useful to new Maxima owners. Thats why you gotta luv the forum!
Old 05-16-2010, 03:40 PM

lol and i was the guy who made this thread originally!!!!!
Old 05-16-2010, 05:15 PM

I believe I have this sound also, its a loud TICK sometimes u hear only one, sometimes a few only really hear it 1st and 2nd gear acceleratig (6MT) but I just put a ypipe and catback on, never heard it before, and that exhaust bracket u guys are talking about is long gone it rippped off a long time ago so it isnt that. Its almost like the sound it makes when u throw one of those little firecracker things on the ground that pop when they hit the ground, u know what I mean? So I don't know what else this could be..... for my case at least
Old 05-28-2010, 05:22 PM

Damn that's a tough one!!
Old 05-29-2010, 02:56 AM

thanks for the advise ima be lookin into this aswell
Old 06-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Clicking noise when accelerating

I have the 91 Maxima with the same noise. The clicking noise is only heard when I accelerate in a higher Rpm. Its an automatic, so when it shifts up and drops Rpm and you let off the gas, you can barely hear it, if at all. Do u think the mounting bracket would apply here since its an older car?... I was thinking it was a crack in the exhaust manifold itself.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:46 PM

Have you considered the valves ticking in the cylinder heads? Just a thought. How many miles do you have on the car?

Quick Reply: noise coming from the front when i accelerate