6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Corona, CA Nissan dealer Lied To Me... Help !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Go ahead... try me

Corona, CA Nissan dealer Lied To Me... Help !!!!

Hello..

I just bought my FIRST Maxima on 6/21/08. It's a 2004 SL model, pearl white, etc. Prior to purchasing it from a private party, I took it to the Nissan Dealer in Corona, CA, which was close to the seller's house. I personally live in San Diego, CA (over 2 hrs away south). I told them there was a noticeable rattling/ticking sound at cold start up, then goes away after the car warms up. They told me to leave the car for 3-4 hours for the "Pre-purchase" inspection and to check the noise out, so I did. After over 3 hours, I went back to the dealer to see the status, and the service guy said "the rattling/ticking noise you hear is a very small timing chain noise... it's nothing you need to worry about... it's nothing big deal" PLUS he added the typical service stuff like rear brakes, etc. Nothing big deal.

Then, I kept asking the service guy... is the timing chain sound serious? Does it need to be replaced? Is it tensioners or guides? Being a Maxima idiot, I believed him when he said... no no.. it's nothing serious... just a "small" noise in the timing chain. I said ok if it's nothing serious, I'll get the car. I told him to write up EVERYTHING that needs replacement with prices. Afterwards, I looked at the invoice and it said "timing chain making small noise" but it wasn't with the rest of what needed maintenance and their prices. Then, I Paid $100 for the inspection and I nagotiated the price down a bit more then paid the seller, signed the paperwork, he took his money, and I took the car back to my house in San Diego. It drove beautiful.. no shakes, sounds or anything (when it's warmed up).

I still had doubts about that sound, so I took it another Nissan dealer by my house today. The service guy calls and tells me... "The timing chain, tensioners and guides will need to be replaced. It's the guides/tensioners that making that noise" ..."That'll cost $2,800 to fix" ...Excuse my lingo, but I got PISSEEDDDDD. What can I do now? I called the Corona dealer and he said "well we wrote it had a small noise" I went off at that Manager and he said he needed to speak to the technician that did the service and he'll call me back tomorrow.

PLEASEEEEE let me know what I can do in this situation???????? Had I known it needed a $2,800 chain... I wouldn't have purchased it. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HELP
Old 07-02-2008, 09:04 PM

how long does the noise last for?
Old 07-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Go ahead... try me

Just until the car warms up...
Old 07-02-2008, 10:53 PM

Having been to Corona Nissan for service several times, I highly advise everyone to stay away!!! They will "replace" items that never need to be replaced. In fact, I despise the stealerships all around my home residence (i.e. Corona, Tustin, and Orange). I go to school most of the year in La Jolla, San Diego, and very much recommend Pacific Beach Nissan. As far as the timing chain goes, they probably never had the mechanic look at it in the first place, and just brushed you off. I would get the BBB on their butt if I were you. I've simply sworn off service from them after i went in for an $80 service, then they replaced about $700 dollars in parts and left grease marks all over the engine bay, bumper, and hood. I'm sorry you had to deal with them.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:57 PM

If you have it on the invoice that they (dealer) documented that the timing chain was making noise, and they brushed it off.... they should have to repair it. The dealer infact knew something was tick tick ticking and probably didnt think you were serious about putting the money into repairing it if there was something major like this.They did infact lie to you and I would go all the way up to the owner of the dealership with this information and make sure; A: the tech get retrained on how to service and inspect a car. and B: when not to lie to a customer, then put it in writing that nothing is wrong. How long of a time difference was this between purchasing and the second dealer visit ??
Old 07-02-2008, 11:20 PM
Go ahead... try me

Car inspected at Corona Saturday 6/21/08... brought back to San Diego that day. Then 3 days after (Tuesday 6/24/08) I called Pacific Nissan in San Diego to make an appointment, and the first opening was today 7/2/08. So it's been about 11 days total since I bought the car.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Go ahead... try me

Thanks steven... I'm sorry you had a bad experience with them bro.

they didn't only say it was making noise... it says "making small noise" .. the service advisor said it's nothing to worry about, not too serious. How the heck are people suppose to trust dealerships if they do that crap to you. I paid every penny I saved to buy this car.. and sure as heck I can't afford to pay 3G's to fix a chain.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:30 PM

WTF

WHY DID I HAVE THIS HAPPEN TO ME ALMOST 2 MONTHS AGO UP IN SAN JOSE. I purchased my 04 Max SE August of 2007. Had a small noise when i bought and we had it looked at and they said oh it probably is a lose whatever. 2 months ago I take it to a dealer because the noise was becomming annoying in the mornings YES ON COLD START ONLY but worried the >>>>>> out of me.

They say oh yeah the TIMING CHAIN< GUIDE> TENSIONERS need to be replaced and that the CVT valve/ sprocket is out of place thats what causes the chattering noise. Oh yeah I purchased a warranty but oh yeah guess what it doesn't cover TIMMING CHAIN VALVE GUIDE TENSIONERS and yeah its cost just about what you mentioned.

I WOULD BE PISSED ALSO.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Go ahead... try me

Nowwwww you know how i feeeeeelllllll. My mechanic told me to buy warranty, then wait a month or two then take it to a diff Nissan dealer and get it fixed lol ain't that just plain evil. I started shopping around and I found a couple that cover tensioners, etc. I don't know what I should do...either

1) Call BBB and the Nissan 800 number
2) Do what my mechanic suggested.
3) Wait to see what the Corona Dealer does.

I'm just lost.... confused... pissed as hell... you get the idea
Old 07-02-2008, 11:41 PM

is there a lemon law in cali that the owner or dealer would have to pay for anything in the post 30 days of purchasing a car over 700 bucks ? i would try to get the BBB involved and also check local law with the BBB about lemon laws with private party purchases
Old 07-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Go ahead... try me

I'll call the Nissan Corp & the BBB tomorrow after the call back from the service Manager in corona.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:49 AM

Dang that sucks. Well check this out. Got it from Nissan's website. They even suggest you contact the BBB. Lol

http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/warranty/2005_Wrnty.pdf
Old 07-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Go ahead... try me

Alllllright..

UPDATE:

1. I called the service manager of Corona Nissan AGAIN, since he never returned my call like he said he would, and He tried nagotiating the issue. He kept trying to make it seem like it's not their fault with the excuse that "the car was warm when dropped off" .. Except I popped his bubble when I said that I left the car there for over 3 hours... which is more than enough time for it to cool down and hear the obviously-bothering noise it makes. He said that he's gonna speak to the lead technician and the dealership owner to "take care of me" with the price it costs to do the service.

2. I contacted the BBB online and filled out a complaint form yesterday about this issue... so we'll see what contact I get from them. I'm guessing since it's a holiday weekend, I won't hear back from them until Monday or Tuesday. I haven't contacted the Nissan Corp. yet... I'm not sure if I should YET....

Any ideas? suggestions? advice?
Old 07-04-2008, 10:44 AM

How bad is this noise really, can you just put synthetic in it and drive for another 100k or is it damaging to the engine in any way
Old 07-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Go ahead... try me

See that's what I don't know... if it was damaging anything or not. I know the local dealer in san diego told me the guides needs to be replaced.... not the chain itself... but since the job is gonna be done anyway, might as well change the chain and tensioners with it too. So honestly I don't know if it was just the guides, if it would make a difference if i kept driving the car. The car drives perfectly fine and sounds perfect when it's warmed up.. even when I let it sit for an hour or so and restart it.. the sound is there but a lot lighter then goes away in a minute or two..
Old 07-04-2008, 12:46 PM

Maybe I missed it but how many miles are on it, and I guess their is no pre-owned warranty to cover the car until 100k, also I've seen many car dealers offer a no questions asked return policy if your unhappy with the car, anywhere from 10 days to the 1st month, but you have to buy another car from their inventory.

Was this car bought from a private party or dealer
Old 07-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Go ahead... try me

the car just turned 70K miles. I bought it from a private party, except I had it fully inspected at that corona dealer BEFORE I bought it... and they didn't tell me the chains/tensioners/guides need to be replaced... they called it "small noise" on the invoice.. and teh service guy told me "it's nothing to worry about"... until I had it rechecked few days ago (10 days after i bought it) and the dealer here told me it's definitely the chain, tensioners and guides that need to be replaced. So basically that corona dealer lied to me.. and according to some other people I met on this site.. they told me problems like this happened with them at that same dealer :-(
Old 07-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Go ahead... try me

UPDATE:

Corona Dealer service Manager called me and said that he'll take off $500.00 off the repair price... I would have to pay $1,800 out of pocket to replace chain, guides, and tensioners. That p!ssed me off even more... We argued, and now I wrote a letter with receipts from both dealers.. and sent it to the BBB and Nissan USA. We'll see what they'll do
Old 07-10-2008, 03:33 PM

damn, that sucks, my 04 has the same exact problem, but I'm only looking at $1200-$1500 at Inskip Nissan in RI
Old 07-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Go ahead... try me

geez... I wish I was in RI lol... that's a lot easier to digest than $1,800.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:27 AM

Greetings ... While I am definitely on your side, contacting consumer affairs and arguing with dealerships is useless. I've heard of some people, VERY FEW, that have had good experiences with dealership service departments and it usually involves knowing someone.

I too have quite a history with them and they don't fix anything because once they touch anything they are responsible for any other issues that arise because of touching it. It's the same game they play with people with mods. Your suspension is bad because you have a speakerbox in your trunk is what they told me. And believe it or not, Consumer Affairs sided with them. With that said, I have a history of 17 visits to 4 different service departments and my suspension is still messed up after 3 strut replacements, 1 spring replacement, 6 road force balances and 5 wheel alignments. I don't know what it is about the dealership alignment machines but they NEVER get it right.

Argue your way down as low as you can for the repair, get them to document it and then take the quote to another dealer and have them beat the price. In my history with Nissan as a whole, besides the car, they don't help at all.

My car too makes this ticking noise and I have a Nissan extended warranty that covers this so in the event it does go bad, they will have to fix it. I used to have a '96 Altima that made the same ticking noise and I was told it is just normal in Nissan cars. But that could've been another line of crap as well.

Good Luck !!!
Old 07-11-2008, 11:49 AM
dot dot dot ...

http://forums.maxima.org/west-coast-13/
Or
http://forums.maxima.org/dealership-...experiences-9/
Old 07-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Go ahead... try me

Originally Posted by thecritik
Greetings ... While I am definitely on your side, contacting consumer affairs and arguing with dealerships is useless. I've heard of some people, VERY FEW, that have had good experiences with dealership service departments and it usually involves knowing someone.

I too have quite a history with them and they don't fix anything because once they touch anything they are responsible for any other issues that arise because of touching it. It's the same game they play with people with mods. Your suspension is bad because you have a speakerbox in your trunk is what they told me. And believe it or not, Consumer Affairs sided with them. With that said, I have a history of 17 visits to 4 different service departments and my suspension is still messed up after 3 strut replacements, 1 spring replacement, 6 road force balances and 5 wheel alignments. I don't know what it is about the dealership alignment machines but they NEVER get it right.

Argue your way down as low as you can for the repair, get them to document it and then take the quote to another dealer and have them beat the price. In my history with Nissan as a whole, besides the car, they don't help at all.

My car too makes this ticking noise and I have a Nissan extended warranty that covers this so in the event it does go bad, they will have to fix it. I used to have a '96 Altima that made the same ticking noise and I was told it is just normal in Nissan cars. But that could've been another line of crap as well.

Good Luck !!!

Thanks for your input and advice bud... I need all the advice I can get. I don't expect them to fix it for free, even though I wish they would, but I'm expecting to pay something, and I'm trying to avoid having it be the $1,800. especially when that dealership is almost 3 hours away drive ONE way. I took the word of the second dealer.. because of the reputation of both... and what's even worse, is that everytime I want to have it checked at another shop, I'll have to pay them $100.00 inspection... so going to 4 or 5 of them is out of the question, ya know.

I sent out the letters and we'll that where that wave takes me. I'm just avoiding having to wait until it's broken down to fix it, because I don't want to damage more parts than already damaged.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:47 AM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by 04MAXXXFreak
Nowwwww you know how i feeeeeelllllll. My mechanic told me to buy warranty, then wait a month or two then take it to a diff Nissan dealer and get it fixed lol ain't that just plain evil. I started shopping around and I found a couple that cover tensioners, etc. I don't know what I should do...either

1) Call BBB and the Nissan 800 number
2) Do what my mechanic suggested.
3) Wait to see what the Corona Dealer does.

I'm just lost.... confused... pissed as hell... you get the idea

That is a crappy situation but I have one question, if you have "a mechanic" why didn't you just have him look at the car (I understand it was far away but buying a used car is a pretty big deal...)

And on another note, does the ticking noise sound almost like a rattle when you start it? if so I need to go see my mechanic as well, I was thinking it was juts something rattling and I just turned 70K as well...
Old 07-12-2008, 02:25 AM
Go ahead... try me

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
That is a crappy situation but I have one question, if you have "a mechanic" why didn't you just have him look at the car (I understand it was far away but buying a used car is a pretty big deal...)

And on another note, does the ticking noise sound almost like a rattle when you start it? if so I need to go see my mechanic as well, I was thinking it was juts something rattling and I just turned 70K as well...
The problem is... my mechanic is in San Diego... and the car I was purchasing was in Corona, which is over 2 and 1/2 hrs drive. it wasn't possible to drive to corona pick up the car then drive down to SD to check it then drive back to corona... So, I decided to have it checked at that dumba$$ dealership.

The noise is more like a knocking/rattling noise at start up. when the car is cold... or cooled off a bit, regardless of what time of day it is... it does it. After the car warms up... noise is gone. ... it's like a timing chain with no oil running... once the oil warms up and gets all over it.. the knocking noise stops and the engine sounds normal. I hope I explained it clear enough
Old 07-13-2008, 11:56 AM

well I can say I had my dealer lie to me also about this noise..he burned out the car to try and get it warmed up quick..and than blasted the radio to drown out the sound. Than they said it was nothing and oil not getting to the valves at first. Well i bought it at 64,000 miles with the noise..and I am now at 112,000 miles and the sound never worsened and never caused any problem. It still clicks at startup when its cold..but than it stops. I will prob get it fixed one day..but it never poised a problem..soooo