6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Do-it-yourself A/C question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 05:28 PM

Do-it-yourself A/C question?

Has anyone attempted to use the do-it-yourself A/C kits to add freon in your unit?
Old 07-12-2008, 05:41 PM

Tried it in my old Mitsu and F'ed-up. Never again. If the unit needs chargin, I'm taking it to the local garage.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:53 PM

How did you F' It up? I figured if you follow the directions, everything would be peachy!
Old 07-14-2008, 12:28 AM

I recently tried the recharge kit and it was fine. I just had the Arctic Freeze kit and had that gauge. It tells u how much freon is in there and mine was actually pretty much empty. I put the freon in and read on the gauge when to stop. Now my A/C works fine. Haven't had any issues other than satisfaction.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:30 AM

If your ac is blowing hot air or has no Freon then you have a leak in your system i mean this has been talked about so many times i haave an 04 with 40K my ac blows cold air
all day an to charge it witha leak is just a temp fix
Old 07-14-2008, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Lovemycar
If your ac is blowing hot air or has no Freon then you have a leak in your system i mean this has been talked about so many times i haave an 04 with 40K my ac blows cold air
all day an to charge it witha leak is just a temp fix
Yeah, the dealership said that I had almost no freon left, and I have an 06. This sh#t is really baffling me!! How did I get an A/C leak in the first place. Thanks for the info though!
Old 07-14-2008, 08:30 AM

ok well idk about you but my ac went and i felt i had a ac leak so i searched around and found a guy who does the job on the side he charged me 80$ to put the dye in my system and put pressure and sure enough there was a leak on the low side compression. i changed the tubing not that hard and he came back and charged the car up with the exact amount of free-on needed! i asked him about those free-on kits and he said they are inacurrate and that will mess your compressor up in the long run. it only should maintain a certain amount or the pressure will damage it o yea he also cleaned out my whole system so after that learning experience i rather go to someone who does the job for cheap on the side with the right tools or just pay what eva the 150$ than buy a 30$ free-on bc he told me when the job is done right it will last you at least 7yrs
Old 07-14-2008, 10:29 AM

Have done it several times in my vehicles and worked each time, very self-explanatory. But if there is a leak in your system it obviously won't work and I would take it to a shop.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:01 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by 90max
ok well idk about you but my ac went and i felt i had a ac leak so i searched around and found a guy who does the job on the side he charged me 80$ to put the dye in my system and put pressure and sure enough there was a leak on the low side compression. i changed the tubing not that hard and he came back and charged the car up with the exact amount of free-on needed! i asked him about those free-on kits and he said they are inacurrate and that will mess your compressor up in the long run. it only should maintain a certain amount or the pressure will damage it o yea he also cleaned out my whole system so after that learning experience i rather go to someone who does the job for cheap on the side with the right tools or just pay what eva the 150$ than buy a 30$ free-on bc he told me when the job is done right it will last you at least 7yrs
It's freon, not free-on. Don't confuse people.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:38 AM

If you car is just not as cold then you can buy the freon and charge it up, spend the xtra few bucks and buy the one with the gauge so you don't over charge it and can see how low you are b4 u start. If the a/c blows hot or you have charged it in the past and its not cold again then you have a leak. If you have a leak your going to have to take it to someone who can put the dye in it to see where the leak is. Thats what I had to do to my old 4th gen, turned out to be a rock put hole in the condenser. Once you find leak replace part and recharge to spec... and don't forget the lube! lol
Old 07-15-2008, 12:13 PM

i recently just used it on my 04

it worked perfect for me.... now i got cold *** A/C lol
Old 07-16-2008, 06:15 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I spoke to my uncle (mechanic) and he said it's better to take it to a place to have the A/C looked at. He said when you have it serviced through the machine the equipment first evacuates the whole system and then recharges it. WHile recharging the system with freon, oil is also added to keep the compressor running smoothly. If you have a leak and both oil and freon escape adding only freon will fry your compressor before you know it. Just thought you'd wanna know.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
I spoke to my uncle (mechanic) and he said it's better to take it to a place to have the A/C looked at. He said when you have it serviced through the machine the equipment first evacuates the whole system and then recharges it. WHile recharging the system with freon, oil is also added to keep the compressor running smoothly. If you have a leak and both oil and freon escape adding only freon will fry your compressor before you know it. Just thought you'd wanna know.
hey thanx 4 repeating what i said lol and spelling freon right lol (i'ma kick your @$$ at a meet jkjk) reguardless like we both said and quoted by EXPERTS go to a shop because all your doing with the freon recahrge is messing up your system in the long run yea it will work good for 1-2 summers but that gauge is not accurate! spend a extra 100$ and you'll have it running right for 7yrs ..find out if you have a leak also with those tests! because maximas are notorious for ac line leaks!